Hooked already!

toothbird

On Friday I learnt of geocaching! And yesterday went on my first adventure with the boyfriend. Absolutely loved it, and can't wait for the next cache discovery! :D

I have a couple of quick questions, apologies as I'm sure they have already been asked!

We used the free app which loads 3caches in the area but can see online that there are many more! Is it worth paying the £7 for the full app? And is that a one off payment?

We literally just used our phone to find the caches or should we be doing something else?

And finally....

Is there a template letter for seeking permission off a landowner for placing a cache?

Thanks in advance.

On Friday I learnt of geocaching! And yesterday went on my first adventure with the boyfriend. Absolutely loved it, and can't wait for the next cache discovery! :D

I have a couple of quick questions, apologies as I'm sure they have already been asked!

We used the free app which loads 3caches in the area but can see online that there are many more! Is it worth paying the £7 for the full app? And is that a one off payment?

We literally just used our phone to find the caches or should we be doing something else?

And finally....

Is there a template letter for seeking permission off a landowner for placing a cache?

Thanks in advance.

The full app is worth every penny.

Premium Membership increases your experiences... and makes them a bit easier.

There is no "template" for asking permission.

Check this link for lots of info and guidance. Aimed at and by U.K. cachers: http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

+1 for the paid app.....it's not at all like the intro app, which is just that, an introduction to Geocaching. It's only to give you a taste of what Geocaching is. If you're as hooked as you say you are the app is the best investment you can make.

And again, do go out and find a whole bunch of caches before you think about hiding one. Your hide will be much better once you get out and get some idea of what makes a good cache.

+1 for the paid app.....it's not at all like the intro app, which is just that, an introduction to Geocaching. It's only to give you a taste of what Geocaching is. If you're as hooked as you say you are the app is the best investment you can make.

And again, do go out and find a whole bunch of caches before you think about hiding one. Your hide will be much better once you get out and get some idea of what makes a good cache.

+2.....although its not my primary caching tool I love the iPhone app.

Welcome! As others have said paying for the app is well worth it. We used it for the first couple of months and after finding about 100 caches we decided that geocaching was for us and bought a dedicated GPS mainly because we wanted to spend the day out and the phone battery just doesn't last that long.

As others have said hiding is great but much better to find a few more first, not compulsory, but we have all seen caches where hiders have been full of enthusiasm when they start and gone out and placed a cache only to find that it's not so much fun maintaining these things when is is -1 outside and pouring with rain.........