Any good cheap GPS?

I really want a cheap one. I have been looking at the Magellan eXplorist GC but I want to see some other recommendations.

That's a cool GPS to start with.

To me, it only has one problem, the maps. You can't update maps like you do with Garmin on every quarter.

Besides that, it's small, has a fast fix GPS chip, takes about 2k caches with all images from the listings and it has several accessories for bike, etc.

If you want an alternative, look at second hand Oregon 450/550 or maybe a brand new Dakota 20, they're cheap nowadays.

If you want to "bet" on a GPS for your future, i would go for the 450/550 at least. 5k geocaches, spoiler images, big touch screen (but not strangely big), several accessories (pouch, bike, motorcycle, car,...) and it's easy to sell when you want to upgrade.

The GC is an excellent PDA but an entry-level GPS. Just copy the GPX files from your PQ into the right place, and you can put several thousand caches into it in about a minute. With the newest firmware (2.15) You can upload maps, though I haven't tried it yet.

I really want a cheap one. I have been looking at the Magellan eXplorist GC but I want to see some other recommendations.

You can buy cheaper GPSr's than the GC, but you won't get the paperless geocaching, really excellent basemap, and color display that the GC offers. Here are some good alternatives, though:

1. Explorist 310: About the same cost as the GC, but more capability for other endeavors (hiking, hunting, etc)

2. Garmin etrex 10: About the same cost as the GC, but minimal base map, smaller, and no color screen.

3. The cheapest, but still useable for geocaching: used Garmin etrex, etrex legend, geko 201. You can pick up one of these GPSr's for $20-$40 on ebay. They are older technology, but a cheap alternative if you are just "trying out" the hobby.

Once you decide you like the sport (you will), you will definitely want something with more capability, and which costs a lot more. You may want things like loadable maps, bigger screen, SD memory card, electronic compass, touch screen to name a few. The choices are overwhelming.