Couldn't find that 1/1?

Seedless928

I did some searching and didn't find anything particular so I figured i'd start this topic.

We have all searched way too long for that low difficulty cache and gone home empty handed at some point. This topic is for the people who went back and found it! Tell the story of you're geo adventure and lets see who has some good laughs and the best in-your-face cache stories :)

If you tell a story about a cache do NOT include cache names or gc codes to prevent ANY spoilers. Just stories :)

Lets hear em!

I did some searching and didn't find anything particular so I figured i'd start this topic.

We have all searched way too long for that low difficulty cache and gone home empty handed at some point. This topic is for the people who went back and found it! Tell the story of you're geo adventure and lets see who has some good laughs and the best in-your-face cache stories :)

If you tell a story about a cache do NOT include cache names or gc codes to prevent ANY spoilers. Just stories :)

Lets hear em!

You start.

We have all searched way too long for that low difficulty cache and gone home empty handed at some point. This topic is for the people who went back and found it!

One of the first caches I tried to find was a giant ammo can. The kind for rocket launchers or something. You could almost climb inside. I couldn't find it. Second time was the charm. There's still a VCR and a GameCube in there. And my autographed softball.

We have all searched way too long for that low difficulty cache and gone home empty handed at some point. This topic is for the people who went back and found it!

One of the first caches I tried to find was a giant ammo can. The kind for rocket launchers or something. You could almost climb inside. I couldn't find it. Second time was the charm. There's still a VCR and a GameCube in there. And my autographed softball.

One that I still haven't found is an ammo can in the woods. :sad: It's a miniature replica, though. B) I should be able to find it, now that I know that. :) Last time I passed by, I started to go into the dense woods, but there was some "activity" there. :omnomnom: I couldn't tell if it was caching or something else, or both... :ph34r::unsure::cute::o so I turned around.

Still no smiley. :signalviolin::lostsignal::cry:

I went looking for a supposedly large cache with a 1/1 maybe a 1/1.5 with very little clues or hints. when i arrived at gz there was a power pole and a huge boulder rock hill. First thing I checked was the pole of course to no prevail so i started questioning the difficulty.. maybe too low? I dont know... so i started hauling rocks around gz. Spent about 45 minutes moving rocks to finally wave the white flag and go home..

I woke up the next day with an epiphany. Rode my geobike back to gz and literally had to sit down from laughing so hard when i looked at that power pole again.. there was a 3 inch diameter by 12 ft long grey pvc pipe stood up against the pole and attached with a bungie cord. I have never laughed so hard from a find :)

I don't know the difficulty of the cache but there was one in VT that had close to 100 finds without a DNF logged. My wife and I searched for it twice in the same day and my DNF was the first one logged. I was sure it had to be gone, how could both of us overlook something that was so easy? When I went to log my DNF I saw someone found it the next day. Last time I looked about a year later mine was still the only DNF on the cache.

I've been known to trip over a regular size cache that was sitting in the open, with nothing covering it but paint. The others in the group who had already found it were amused.

And there have been a few that have been hidden within several feet of an obvious hiding spot, but that didn't use the obvious hiding spot. They were easy to find once I stopped paying attention to the hollow tree, park bench, lamp post, guardrail, or whatever else was distracting me from the nearby cache. One was placed within several feet of 3 different obvious hiding spots, but didn't use any of them.

Caveboy_Ken and I just went to Peoria, IL in an attempt to do a 5/5. On the way, we stopped to eat and get gas and there was supposed to be a 1.5/1.5 about 100ft away from the eating establishment. 1/2 hour later, we still couldn't find it. We thought that maybe we should just turn around then and there because if we couldn't find one that easy (it should have been hanging in a tree) how in the world were we supposed to complete a 5/5 with a 13 mile hike. :blink:

I find every cache I attempt. If I arrive at GZ and the cache is missing for some reason, I replace the missing cache, in the exact place the CO intended, with a film canister containing a logsheet in a small ziplock bag.

Logging a DNF would hurt my numbers and image. :laughing:

Ummmm??? :/

I believe this is not a good idea..

I have many caches you could never replace in the way my cache was intended with leaky film canister..

Ick...

Caveboy_Ken and I just went to Peoria, IL in an attempt to do a 5/5. On the way, we stopped to eat and get gas and there was supposed to be a 1.5/1.5 about 100ft away from the eating establishment. 1/2 hour later, we still couldn't find it. We thought that maybe we should just turn around then and there because if we couldn't find one that easy (it should have been hanging in a tree) how in the world were we supposed to complete a 5/5 with a 13 mile hike. :blink:

Haha i would have hiked it out anyway :) i love hiking and 5/5? Im goin!

I find every cache I attempt. If I arrive at GZ and the cache is missing for some reason, I replace the missing cache, in the exact place the CO intended, with a film canister containing a logsheet in a small ziplock bag.

Honesty & candor are so rare and refreshing! :laughing:

That post right there just hurt your image. Where's the pitchforks and torches at? :D

That post right there just hurt your image. Where's the pitchforks and torches at? :D

Hahahaha XD I honestly dont even know what to say. Thats blasphemy

We tried twice to find an "easy" cache that everyone else logged "quick find on my way home from work", etc ...

Logged a DNF each time with some attempt at humor about our inability to find one that everyone else found "Easy".

Finally swallowed our pride and asked the CO for a hint. It was a fake rock in the rock pile we kept climbing over while DNFing. DOH...

Armed with the hint, we took some folks we were introducing to geocaching. Thought we'd show them an interesting hide for their first one, and really impress them.

WE STILL COULDN'T FIND IT! :shocked: The CO checked it out a couple of days later, and it was now actually missing!

The fourth time we looked, a week or so later, we found it quick and easy!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

We tried twice to find an "easy" cache that everyone else logged "quick find on my way home from work", etc ...

Logged a DNF each time with some attempt at humor about our inability to find one that everyone else found "Easy".

Finally swallowed our pride and asked the CO for a hint. It was a fake rock in the rock pile we kept climbing over while DNFing. DOH...

Armed with the hint, we took some folks we were introducing to geocaching. Thought we'd show them an interesting hide for their first one, and really impress them.

WE STILL COULDN'T FIND IT! :shocked: The CO checked it out a couple of days later, and it was now actually missing!

The fourth time we looked, a week or so later, we found it quick and easy!

ROFL. This has happened to me before, with my family, trying to get them into the sport. My poor dad thinks I've lost all sense, as he's never been with us when we've found one....

cache: http://coord.info/GC3XJPN

I spent 1 hour with my (then) fiance looking for this cache. Came back a few later and spent even more time looking for it, alone. Then, I stopped logging my DNFs and searched for this cache about 1x a day for a few weeks straight. Finally, I traded the location of a sought-after FTF of mine for the location of this cache. With the answer, I found it... a metal key holder next to an electrical box. Black on white... I'm an idiot.

We never log a DNF unless we look for it 3 times. Normally we find it on our 2nd search. But we had that one that was driving us crazy. We tried it on our 2nd day of caching..no go..went back a few weeks later after we had many more smilies under our belts...no go. We were just sure it was missing and waiting few more weeks, and we gave it our last and final go...I found it right out of the car. It was in a spot that we both swear we had looked before. Either it was not there then or we were blind as bats. Not sure what the case was but we were very happy to get that find. Now were are focusing on the very first cache we looked for. We did not find it but found the second one, but that first cache is on the list to go back for...we are just gonna wait until fall and less bugs and greenery to deal with, and we will find that one too. WE WILL FIND IT!!! LOL!

Ummmm??? :/

I believe this is not a good idea..

I have many caches you could never replace in the way my cache was intended with leaky film canister..

Ick...

I do think you just hurt your image with this post. Just saying, if you are to afraid to log a dnf, how are CO's supposed to know if there cache was stolen or not.

I've been known to trip over a regular size cache that was sitting in the open, with nothing covering it but paint. use any of them.

Hey! That's my line! "I'm quite capable of tripping over a 1/1 cache, and not finding it." Example from last year: 1/1 EarthCache. Walk a half mile in on the paved trail to find the EarthCache. My sister was recovering from hip surgery, and not capable of the one mile hike. DNF. It's now a 1/2 cache.

I have 2. The first one was a chapstick tube inside the post to a phone booth. It was one of my first finds. When I went back, it took me like 30 sec. More recently I was having trouble finding a PB jar attached to a stake in the ground. If you know where to look, you can even see it from the street. I couldn't find it because I was looking at my phone's GPS backward. I kept looking at green arrow for the cache as me, and the blue dot showing me as the cache. I couldn't figure out why I kept moving away from the cache.