Garmin Oregon software 6.40?

DukeOfURL01

I JUST got an Oregon 450, after the big sale at ******* I couldn't pass it up, even though this model is 5 years old at this point.

So, first thing I did was run WebUpdater, and it found version 6.40 of the software for it available. I think I remember when I was researching this unit, that some versions of the software are to be avoided. Is this one of them? What do people think of it? The unit seems to work fine now...

thanks

I have have 6.40 on my Oregon 550 and have had no issues with it. Of course, YMMV, but I wouldn't worry too much about trying it. You can always backlevel if you suspect there are problems. The older software versions can be found on the Perry site: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/agree.html

If you don't mind telling us, where did you get your Oregon and what kind of deal did they have?

Edited by alandb

Although we both now use 62S units the 450 performed fine. Here is a link for info.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

Software can be found here....I like 5.50 best, no problems at all

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions+x50

If you decide to try a different software follow these instruction ( you can always go back to the latest using web updater).

Can I force an upgrade or downgrade to a particular release?

Some software releases above are linked directly to the GCD file for that release. GCD files are also available through Garmin's web site using a URL of the form: http://www.garmin.com/software/GPSMAP62_78_WebUpdater__xyz.gcd where xyz is the three digit version number. For example, for version 2.4 xyz would equal 240.

Using gcd files you can force your unit to upgrade or downgrade to a specific version if necessary. The instructions to perform a gcd based upgrade are as follows:

Use the links above under "Software Version" to download the gcd file for the version you want to use

Change the name of the file you just download to gupdate.gcd

Attach the GPSMAP to your computer and verify that it is in USB Mass storage mode

Copy gupdate.gcd to [GPSMAP drive]:\Garmin\gupdate.gcd

Restart the GPSMAP

There are theories that 5.20 was the most stable one.

I use the latest without any problem...

5.50 was the first upgrade to finally get rid of the Garmin " sticky " problem ( poor performance at slow speeds...unresponsive compass and distance traveled )....prior versions made you want to throw the unit in a lake. There were reports of bugs in firmware after 5.50 and since our unit was working perfectly there was no need to go further.

On the 62S ver 3.90 was the first to get rid of the " sticky ". I didn't like subsequent versions on this unit either.....my wife just got a new one and it had accuracy issues getting to GZ.....I put 3.90 on it and now its fine.

5.50 was the first upgrade to finally get rid of the Garmin " sticky " problem ( poor performance at slow speeds...unresponsive compass and distance traveled )....prior versions made you want to throw the unit in a lake. There were reports of bugs in firmware after 5.50 and since our unit was working perfectly there was no need to go further.

On the 62S ver 3.90 was the first to get rid of the " sticky ". I didn't like subsequent versions on this unit either.....my wife just got a new one and it had accuracy issues getting to GZ.....I put 3.90 on it and now its fine.

Thanks for the explanation ;)

Thanks for the explanation ;)

Alright, tonight I attempted to improve my 450t's performance and decided to download 6.40 to my device. Now that it's loaded it takes FOREVER for it to boot up. When connected to my laptop (via USB)it gets stuck on the initial splash screen. The "loading photos" takes about 20 minutes to go through, then the "saving all waypoints, routes....in GPX format" takes another 20 minutes. After 40+ minutes the device finally connects to the laptop and is recognized. When on batteries, the device gets stuck on the "loading photos" and never boots. I'm mad as hell that I had a device that worked fine and in my attempt to update it I rendered it useless. Any help would be appreciated.

@nickbarn

You can always revert to a prior software version. Those *.gcd files are quite handy for that. There seems to be some thinking here that 5.50 was the cat's a**, but I have been using 6.20 with no heartburn at all, and have had no need of the 'improvements' in 6.30 or 6.40).

Here are links to both:

5.50 >>> http://www.gawisp.com/perry/oregon/Oregonx50_WebUpdater__550.gcd

6.20 >>> http://www.gawisp.com/perry/oregon/Oregonx50_WebUpdater__620.gcd

Just drag and drop onto Webupdater.

I think Like any other wireless system, a Garmin Oregon software 6.40 gives you freedom to free the valuable workspace from the tangling wires. Technically speaking, a Garmin Oregon software 6.40 may be considered as a special network router that connects different workstations wirelessly and routes network traffic between workstations and an existing Internet connection. The Garmin Oregon software 6.40 is quite beneficial for the various individuals and the relative business of any individual a well.