QR Travel Bugs

Shop Geocaching

We'll soon be adding a fun new version of the Travel Bug to Shop Geocaching. These include a QR code that when scanned will lead directly to the Travel Bug's page on Geocaching.com.

The black TB looks pretty cool!

When someone scans that TB, is the Tracking Number included in the scan? I once considered making some kind of barcode for my TB info sheets, but couldn't decide if it should be only the Tracking Number or a web URL, etc.

If it only goes to the TB's web page, cachers will need to make a note of the Tracking Number in order to log it -- not just "scan it" (if they aren't logging it immediately). Cachers might see a TB in a cache, scan it, then later wonder why their "scan" didn't get logged. It's not a huge problem, just something people will need to bear in mind, something that may need a little extra explaining.

Edited by kunarion

If it only goes to the TB's web page, cachers will need to make a note of the Tracking Number in order to log it

And that is a good thing. We've been talking at length about the problems associated with immediate grabbing of trackables before people have a chance to log them into the cache.

An immediate Discover log should not cause any problems but if a grab were allowed from a QR scan there will be a whole lot more carping in the Trackable forums in our future.

My new line now when I grab back a trackable from a Need-It-Now cacher is "Not so fast! The trackable was dropped off less than ___ hours ago and I want it logged into the cache I placed it in."

If it only goes to the TB's web page, cachers will need to make a note of the Tracking Number in order to log it

And that is a good thing. We've been talking at length about the problems associated with immediate grabbing of trackables before people have a chance to log them into the cache.

An immediate Discover log should not cause any problems but if a grab were allowed from a QR scan there will be a whole lot more carping in the Trackable forums in our future.

Do you know if scanning these new TBs causes a "Discover log"? That's cool, but I'd bet most cachers won't realize the scan is only a Discover log. And that they don't have the Tracking Number. There will be New Improved topics around here about "I scanned the TB and placed it into a cache, but the Drop didn't get logged!"

It's not really a major issue, I'm just wondering what the idea is... what happens upon "scanning"? An important thing would be to somehow automatically save the Tracking Number for future reference, in case a cacher "scans" and drops TBs into caches. And that seems like a new feature.

I also think it's fine to do "Discover" and then move the TB. I'd prefer the correct logs. But as long as it's still in play being Discovered and being moved cache-to-cache, it's a good thing. Maybe QR tags will stay in the game longer due to the way they work. This also means cache Inventories won't be right (til logged by a non-scanning cacher), but we already know that cache Inventories, and most cachers, ain't right. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

The description at the top says "takes you to the TB page". I think it is pretty clear what it does.

I think so, too. But I also think "Don't Keep Me" is pretty clear, and look how that turned out. B)

Because if people scan it, and it "takes you to the TB page", they need to write down the Tracking Number. Or will they log it upon scanning?

And how many people geocache with a smart phone with a QR reader? (OK, I do) if you are out using a GPS surely all this will be irrelevant?

It comes back to my original question: What happens upon scanning? What if you're not in data range (even if you are) and you scan a TB with a smartphone, then place it into a cache, then try to log it? It's no different than mis-logs that already happen, it just makes the mis-log simpler & faster. :rolleyes:

I'm expecting lots of new posts about "I scanned it and it didn't work", and simply want a heads-up on how it's supposed to work. People are currently QR-Code-crazy, and many "QR Code" Apps both scan and "log". I'm pretty sure the "log" doesn't happen in this case.

Yes, most of the time, I'm guessing cachers would use the actual engraved Tracking Number. The QR Code would be more of a decoration. If people still write down the number (don't depend on the "scan" to do anything), that's OK.

Edited by kunarion

When someone scans that TB, is the Tracking Number included in the scan?

With all the speculation here about scanning and logging and concerns about problems that could develop I decided to scan the code in the photo at the top of this topic and see for myself. It did provide for instant virtual logging with any type of log. I posted a note but others are posting discovers and grabs.

It seems to me that these logs are being allowed to demonstrate the potential of QR scanning. I'm wondering if the tag owners will have an option whether to allow instant logging or limit it to Discover logs only

And how many people geocache with a smart phone with a QR reader?

Lots of folks are using phones to cache with. I have been noticing a lot of duplicate Found It logs on caches over the past year.

Out of curiosity and from my first experiences with logging by phone (which I seldom do) I took to writing to the double loggers and said I was conducting a study to see if they log by phone (which I am, informally). My premise is that they are hitting the Submit button more than once in areas of spotty coverage or if they don't happen to see the confirmation message. When the Submit button is pushed and there is not a strong enough "G" signal the phone holds that command and submits it later. Meanwhile the cacher hits the button again and the result is a double Found It.

The email is light and non-accusatory and focuses on phone logging but does mention that the double log is the reason for my study. I leave it to them to decide what to do about the double log unless it is on one of our caches.

Edit: Forgot to mention that around 50% respond and they all say they were logging with a smart phone.

Edited by Team Sagefox

When someone scans that TB, is the Tracking Number included in the scan?

With all the speculation here about scanning and logging and concerns about problems that could develop I decided to scan the code in the photo at the top of this topic and see for myself. It did provide for instant virtual logging with any type of log. I posted a note but others are posting discovers and grabs.

It seems to me that these logs are being allowed to demonstrate the potential of QR scanning. I'm wondering if the tag owners will have an option whether to allow instant logging or limit it to Discover logs only

I'm sure this product will have no problems :ph34r:, I'm just wondering what happens in various scenarios, in case anyone asks. It's not the technology per se, it's ...unexpected confusion :anicute:. A TB has "Don't Keep Me" in big bold letters, and many Topics are about people keeping them and not knowing not to. So when there's a post "I scanned it and it didn't work", some of us will need to know what it does when it works.

What App did you "scan" it with? The first impression was that it goes to the TB page, that it doesn't log it. But you logged it. And I'd like to try it when I have no data connection.

Edited by kunarion

Scanning the QR code with a QR reader takes you directly to this page:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=t8eyev

From there, the trackable acts just like any other trackable when viewing it on the website. You have the choice to 'grab,' 'retrieve,' or 'discover' the same as you would any other trackable.

The idea behind using the QR code is that it makes it easier to find out the goal of a trackable when you're in the field and log it right there if you choose to do so. If a trackable was recently dropped in the cache and doesn't show the drop log, it's always a good idea to wait until the previous person 'drops' it in the cache.

From there, the trackable acts just like any other trackable when viewing it on the website. You have the choice to 'grab,' 'retrieve,' or 'discover' the same as you would any other trackable.

The idea behind using the QR code is that it makes it easier to find out the goal of a trackable when you're in the field and log it right there if you choose to do so. If a trackable was recently dropped in the cache and doesn't show the drop log, it's always a good idea to wait until the previous person 'drops' it in the cache.

Sounds good. The ones in black look pretty stylish, too.

Dpes it insert the trackable number?

I've seen QR travel tags for sale for several months now. How are these different?

http://shop.geocaching.com/default/trackable-items/qr-tech-tags/qr-tech-tag.html

I scanned your posted coin tag just now, and it seems to do the same thing.

But that's a Geocoin. The ones in the OP are The Travel Bug. They are shaped differently, and "The Travel Bug" is a trademarked tag with (usually) a barcode bug icon, all the same, and have a copy tag to keep and collect while the original travels. "Technology Tags" were out of stock for a long time, perhaps the QR Travel Bug will be easier to buy.

And the distinction between "The Travel Bug" and "Geocoins" is so thin, yeah, let's just say it's the same thing and leave it at that. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

I scanned your posted coin tag just now, and it seems to do the same thing. But that's a Geocoin. The ones in the OP are The Travel Bug.

TriciaG's link is to a Technology Tag with a QR code.

It is not a geocoin but if this were a pop song the line might go something like this: "I'm a little bit Travel Bug, I'm a little bit Geocoin".

Edited by Team Sagefox

So basically, these older ones don't have a certain bit of artwork on them, have a little different shape, and don't have the extra, keep-at-home copy. Got it. ;)

Yes, that's how you know they aren't the official Groundspeak "The Travel Bug". It's simply a naming convention used by Groundspeak throughout the web sites. When people refer to "Geocoins" they usually mean the expensive, fancy custom items (not always Trackable), with "travel bugs" being any traveling Trackable items. So the terms "Geocoins" and "travel bugs" are often used to mean the same thing... items traveling cache-to-cache.

But the "Technology Tags" are properly called Geocoins in this Forum. If you see the Forum categories "Travel Bug" and "Geocoins", that's how they're treated by Groundspeak. The old definitions have been altered/structured. The trademark "The Travel Bug" refers to "The Travel Bug" only, which has "The Travel Bug" imprinted, barcode bug logo and usually a barcode bug web icon. Geocoins are everything that is not "The Travel Bug". Even tags that aren't The Travel Bug (such as Cachekinz) are Geocoins.

Therefore, the "old" QR Code "Technology Tags" are Geocoins, they are not The Travel Bug.

Edited by kunarion

My brother and I have bought both one for our TB race.

What I do miss on this TB is the sentence "Do not keep me."

It does says "Trackable at Geocaching.com" and I will still release this TB tonight.

But maybe that sentence is good to add in future tags?

Edited by #Tenzin
What I do miss on this TB is the sentence "Do not keep me."

It does says "Trackable at Geocaching.com" and I will still release this TB tonight.

But maybe that sentence is good to add in future tags?

"Do not keep me" supposedly confused people. They insisted/demanded that they wouldn't understand it, even after it was explained to them :ph34r:, so it's more about the misunderstanders, less about the text. Maybe that's a reason it's been removed. Does the copy say "Keep this"? That phrase is also extremely confusing, I've been told. <_<

Edited by kunarion

I was just wondering if there was a reason that the old travel bugs had a bar code in the bug. Couldn't this be used to do the same thing?

That is just a cool graphic and is not unique to each travel bug.

The free bar code scanners for smart phones will read QR codes so if you are using a phone ap for geocaching it is easy enough to switch over to the bar code ap and read these new tags. The ap will then give you the link to the trackable page. You already have at hand everything you need.

Is the tracking number on these bugs screen printed instead of the normal engraving? It definitely looks that way. Find a bug that happens to live more than a couple years and the screen printed sections are often worn down/away

I hope the number is still engraved. I also find the move to use the added scanning gizmo as a point to increase the price a bad decision. There is such animosity towards people keeping trackables that you should be giving us reasons to keep buying them, not increasing the price. There is really no reason to have two versions so I expect in the near future, as stock runs out, the current travel bug will be gone and here we are with a higher price.

Sell only one travelbug that includes the QR code and keep the price as it is. I am sure the QR code will get the "I found this cache with the free app" crowd to log them but will it get them to drop them? Doubtful.

Is the tracking number on these bugs screen printed instead of the normal engraving? It definitely looks that way. Find a bug that happens to live more than a couple years and the screen printed sections are often worn down/away

I hope the number is still engraved. I also find the move to use the added scanning gizmo as a point to increase the price a bad decision. There is such animosity towards people keeping trackables that you should be giving us reasons to keep buying them, not increasing the price. There is really no reason to have two versions so I expect in the near future, as stock runs out, the current travel bug will be gone and here we are with a higher price.

Sell only one travelbug that includes the QR code and keep the price as it is. I am sure the QR code will get the "I found this cache with the free app" crowd to log them but will it get them to drop them? Doubtful.

Both the tracking code an QR code are engraved (the tracking code is engraved just the same as the regular Travel Bug line so it should hold up just as well).

As far as the pricing, because these have a unique QR code that's also engraved, they do cost more for manufacturing. For our initial test run of these we didn't produce that many which also drove the price up. It's possible that if we see the same demand for these as the original Travel Bug, we could drive that price down and would be happy to pass along those savings to the community. The original Travel Bug set will still be available - it's a classic!