New Cache listings not approved

Team Burgo

Hi guys

We are really green and new to this game but are learning quick and throwing ourselves into it.

We have until this point successfully placed two caches, however, last week set a series of four for review and publishing and these failed on the grounds of the final two in the series are "placed too close to the final stage of a multi-cache ..". One of our caches clashes with one of these final stages and the other with a different one.

We spent considerable time working on a theme, preparing caches and the descriptions etc, finding locations and painstakingly checking the distance between caches, both others and ours were more than 160M away. Sadly our four part series is now two and I have been asked by the reviewer to place in an acceptable location given these proximatey issues.

My question is, how do we know what is an acceptable place without knowing the Coordinates of these conflicting caches (as they do not appear on any map). In this case I could find a new location this evening and publish it, only to fail again.

I am sure this isnt a unique problem, however, two of my caches clashing with two others is pretty unlucky. It is quite a shame as we were very pleased with our selection of theme and locations.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated

Paul

Team Burgo

Edited by Team Burgo

There's always the small chance you may place in a location too close to a part of a multi, best way to guarentee not doing this, go find all the multi's in the nearby area.

It's an excuse to go geocaching too :)

Other than that, just trial and error, make sure you're far enough away from normal caches and just keep scouting locations, place cache and then submit for review until it gets published. You could also get into communication with your reviewer before you submit for review again to double check if a location is suitable, though I don't think they'd be willing to tell you the exact location of multi's, so there's always the chance your new location could still be too close.

So, yeh, only sure fire way I know of, go find those multi's and keep note of their co-ords :)

My question is, how do we know what is an acceptable place without knowing the Coordinates of these conflicting caches (as they do not appear on any map). In this case I could find a new location this evening and publish it, only to fail again.

Make sure that you've found all the multicaches in the area(s) you might want to put caches. Record all the waypoints involved with those multicaches.

That still won't help if there are puzzle caches you haven't solved and found, or if there are Premium Member Only caches in the area.

Read the Help Center articles:

Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

1.8. Saturation Guideline: Hidden, Virtual and Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=232

1.9. Checking for Geocache Saturation

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

What can you do about those geocaches which you can't "see" online?

If after Steps 1 and 2 you are still concerned about encountering the hidden parts of other geocaches, contact a reviewer with your geocache coordinates for a saturation check. This should be done before placing the geocache container.

1. Create a geocache listing, with a title like "Coordinate Check". You can add additional waypoints if you'd like more than one spot checked (use stage of a multi-cache waypoint type).

2. Add a Reviewer Note explaining that the geocache is not in place and you would like a saturation check.

3. Either enable the geocache, or email your local reviewer with the GC Code of the geocache. To find your local reviewer, check for a recent Published log on a nearby geocache. Follow the link of the reviewer's name to their profile, where you can email them through the site.

I am sure this isnt a unique problem, however, two of my caches clashing with two others is pretty unlucky.

It's an extremely common occurrence, and has been for years.

B.

First of all welcome to this very addictive hobby. Your problem comes up all the time and their really isn't a satisfactory solution other than Pup Patrols very detailed response.

Unfortunately, Pup Patrol's response, while helpful, is still not a satisfactory solution as it requires one to find caches that they may not want to look for. Not everyone enjoys puzzles and multi-caches. Imagine if the standard answer to a question was, "just go and find all of the LPC caches in the area".

These caches were introduced when the game was young and caches were few and far between. Now there are over 2 million caches out there and somewhere around 25% of them have unknown coordinates, so they can get in the way at times. The best minds on the forum have brainstormed for years for a solution that would not also allow others to game the system to their advantage, and doesn't appear to really be one, other than hit and miss, or actually finding the caches or solving the puzzles.

First of all welcome to this very addictive hobby. Your problem comes up all the time and their really isn't a satisfactory solution other than Pup Patrols very detailed response.
Unfortunately, Pup Patrol's response, while helpful, is still not a satisfactory solution as it requires one to find caches that they may not want to look for. Not everyone enjoys puzzles and multi-caches. Imagine if the standard answer to a question was, "just go and find all of the LPC caches in the area".
Did you read beyond the first couple paragraphs of Pup Patrol's response?

Right now, the "Coordinate Check" solution described in the Help Center article he linked to (and that he quoted in his very detailed response) is the best solution there is. It works well.

Unfortunately, Pup Patrol's response, while helpful, is still not a satisfactory solution as it requires one to find caches that they may not want to look for. Not everyone enjoys puzzles and multi-caches.

My reply has been truncated to the point where it sounds like I'm saying there's only one solution to the problem. If my full reply was quoted, you would see that I gave the links to the Help Center articles that address this problem, using what methods Groundspeak provides, including the "saturation check" with the reviewer.

I also said:

That still won't help if there are puzzle caches you haven't solved and found, or if there are Premium Member Only caches in the area.

Not to mention Wherigoes, apparently, which I completely forget about, as I have zero interest in them.

I don't understand why some people have a reluctance to finding multicaches. What is so difficult about finding Stage 1, Stage 2, etc? Is it because they're not quick stop & grabs, and may take more than five minutes to bump up one's find count?

The OP's problem is an old one, addressed many times on the forum. Nothing new in the way of a solution has been provided, as far as I know.

Imagine if the standard answer to a question was, "just go and find all of the LPC caches in the area".

I don't understand that at all. What has it got to do with saturation issues? (It's like comparing apples to tires.)

It wouldn't hurt the OP to learn to deal with multicaches. Lots of people toss out numbers of finds before hiding caches, which is useless. A variety of types of caches and D/T ratings would give new cachers a better understanding of things, rather than a string of 50 or 100 1/1 finds.

Finding multicaches also require learning how to input coordinates manually. From the questions seen in the forums lately, this is a skill that a lot of folks need to practice.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol
Did you read beyond the first couple paragraphs of Pup Patrol's response?

Right now, the "Coordinate Check" solution described in the Help Center article he linked to (and that he quoted in his very detailed response) is the best solution there is. It works well.

Yes I did. I don't consider playing "Battleship" with the reviewer to be a "satisfactory" solution. jmo...

Unfortunately, Pup Patrol's response, while helpful, is still not a satisfactory solution as it requires one to find caches that they may not want to look for. Not everyone enjoys puzzles and multi-caches.

My reply has been truncated to the point where it sounds like I'm saying there's only one solution to the problem. If my full reply was quoted, you would see that I gave the links to the Help Center articles that address this problem, using what methods Groundspeak provides, including the "saturation check" with the reviewer.

I also said:

Not to mention Wherigoes, apparently, which I completely forget about, as I have zero interest in them.

I don't understand why some people have a reluctance to finding multicaches. What is so difficult about finding Stage 1, Stage 2, etc? Is it because they're not quick stop & grabs, and may take more than five minutes to bump up one's find count?

The OP's problem is an old one, addressed many times on the forum. Nothing new in the way of a solution has been provided, as far as I know.

Imagine if the standard answer to a question was, "just go and find all of the LPC caches in the area".

I don't understand that at all. What has it got to do with saturation issues? (It's like comparing apples to tires.)

It wouldn't hurt the OP to learn to deal with multicaches. Lots of people toss out numbers of finds before hiding caches, which is useless. A variety of types of caches and D/T ratings would give new cachers a better understanding of things, rather than a string of 50 or 100 1/1 finds.

Finding multicaches also require learning how to input coordinates manually. From the questions seen in the forums lately, this is a skill that a lot of folks need to practice.

B.

Nobody has quoted you, so I don't know how anything got truncated.

Very few Multi-caches in my areas are of the type where you "go here, get coordinates to there" type multi-caches, in a way that the coordiantes are easily available. They are things like, go park in front of this house, get the address, perform advanced calculus on it to get the final coordinates, drive to parking of nice park where you wanted to place a cache, find nano on the parking lot perimeter fence.

I wasn't trying to debate you. I think that what you offered is the best that can be offered under the current circumstance, and unlike others, I appreciate the way that you try to direct people to the official answers that they look for.

I just feel that, "Go find all the multi-caches or puzzles", can be a little condescending to people that do not like those types of caches or do not have the mental acuity to do them. My comparison to LPCs was based on that.

Edited by Don_J

Hi guys

We are really green and new to this game but are learning quick and throwing ourselves into it.

We have until this point successfully placed two caches, however, last week set a series of four for review and publishing and these failed on the grounds of the final two in the series are "placed too close to the final stage of a multi-cache ..". One of our caches clashes with one of these final stages and the other with a different one.

We spent considerable time working on a theme, preparing caches and the descriptions etc, finding locations and painstakingly checking the distance between caches, both others and ours were more than 160M away. Sadly our four part series is now two and I have been asked by the reviewer to place in an acceptable location given these proximatey issues.

I am sure this isnt a unique problem, however, two of my caches clashing with two others is pretty unlucky. It is quite a shame as we were very pleased with our selection of theme and locations.

Paul

Team Burgo

Here's an idea for you - if you don't prefer to hunt the multis in your area that are causing proximity issues, consider this. The final stage of multis and puzzles are generally placed at least within 2 miles of the posted coordinates of the cache. Before placing a cache, do a spot check of the multis and puzzles in the area and if there are any within 2 miles, is the area you're placing your cache in likely to house the final to a multi or puzzle?

Another resolution if you don't prefer to hunt multis or puzzles - email the CO of the nearby multi and kindly ask for the final coordinates and explain why. Also explain to the CO that you won't be claiming a find on their cache, you simply need the final coordinates so that you can place your cache far enough away from theirs.

This happened to me with my first cache placement and I didn't know what to do. I had put a ton of work in a 4 stage multi that was very unique. Unfortunately, 3 out of 4 stages were in proximity of a puzzle that at the time, I had no clue how to solve. The CO was more than happy to oblige with the coordinates so that I could place my stages far enough away from his cache.

Don't let this discourage you from placing your caches. Unfortunately, proximity is a part of the game that we all have fallen victim to. Just need to know where there is space and where there isn't!

Thanks all for taking the effort to respond to this, my apologies that it started a debate and that wasn't my intention.

We are really new to caching (around two or three months)and when a local cacher decided to close his caches as he is leaving the area I got the idea to do what I considered to be a great little themed series along the path that he had vacated. Sadly the last two and those that housed the goodies were at 3 and 4 and these were the ones that clashed with the endpoints. I have since changed the route of my series and submitted two new locations and hope in true battleship style they will be suitable. The advice given here, however, I have put to good use and requested two saturation checks for a potential fifth (or to resite 3 and 4 again).

I can't deny I was disappointed and a little frustrated when I first received the message from the reviewer, however, knowing now that it is usual and just part of the game I am now perfectly happy with the reasons why. It just makes the game a little more of a challenge :)

we have tried one multi cache so far but did not find the end cache, we will venture more onto these as time goes by but for the time being we are just enjoying taking part in this unique hobby, which provides the whole family with an additional reason to go and get some fresh air and exercise.

Paul

Team Burgo

"Only in it for the cache"

Here's an idea for you - if you don't prefer to hunt the multis in your area that are causing proximity issues, consider this. The final stage of multis and puzzles are generally placed at least within 2 miles of the posted coordinates of the cache. Before placing a cache, do a spot check of the multis and puzzles in the area and if there are any within 2 miles, is the area you're placing your cache in likely to house the final to a multi or puzzle?

No.

There is no limit on a Multi's final cache being a set minimum/maximum distance from the posted coordinates.

Unknown (Puzzle's) do have to be within 2 miles of the posted coordinates.

(Unless you can persuade your reviewer with a VERY good reason!)

Hi guys

Paul

Team Burgo

Surest thing I can think of is to go find the other multi's near and save the waypoints. Once all are in your GPSr, physically go to the area and seek a suitable location away from all showing on your Gizmo.

No.

There is no limit on a Multi's final cache being a set minimum/maximum distance from the posted coordinates.

Must just be my area then. The reviewers around here will not publish a multi where the final is more than 2 miles away unless the distance factor is noted in the cache description for all to see. I have a multi with the final being ten miles away. Reviewer wouldn't publish it without me mentioning the distance on the page. I figured it was somewhere in the guidelines, but I supposed I was wrong.

No.

Must just be my area then. The reviewers around here will not publish a multi where the final is more than 2 miles away unless the distance factor is noted in the cache description for all to see. I have a multi with the final being ten miles away. Reviewer wouldn't publish it without me mentioning the distance on the page. I figured it was somewhere in the guidelines, but I supposed I was wrong.

No, it sounds like another case of a reviewer trying to impose their own personal standards upon the caches that they publish.

While posting the final distance on the page is a good idea that your local cachers will appreciate, rather than curse you to Hell, it is not required, unless there was another secret reviewer memo and you are the first to find out.