VIRTUAL TRACKABLES / GEOCOINS / BUGS

MRB3N

Is it okay to publish a trackable code via social media if the trackable owner requests it?

There seems to be quite a lot of "Virtual" trackables that the owner wants to be publicly discussed and displayed etc.

So I just wanted to know is it okay to partake in this activity if its actually designed that way?

Is it okay to publish a trackable code via social media if the trackable owner requests it?

There seems to be quite a lot of "Virtual" trackables that the owner wants to be publicly discussed and displayed etc.

So I just wanted to know is it okay to partake in this activity if its actually designed that way?

Leave it up to the Trackable Owner alone to publish the tracking numbers. Then it's his fault if the page gets locked. We keep telling people it's a bad idea to post tracking numbers. Posting tracking numbers and then asking others to continue posting them is almost the same bad idea :anicute:.

Do you see specific instructions on the Trackables' pages requesting that the tracking number is to be publicized, and showing that number? If not, there may be something fishy about the "social media" publishing request.

Edited by kunarion

Do they even lock trackables anymore?

There's a pinned thread at the top of this forum:

How To Keep The Secret Tracking Number Safe

Don't post those tracking numbers anywhere public!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=312124

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Just a request/reminder for everyone to not post the tracking number of a travel bug anywhere online. This includes caches logs, forum postings, or in photographs - even on your own bug page! The number should only be used when you are Retrieving, Grabbing, or Discovering a traveler.

There are people out there who look for these numbers and will virtually log the bug, sometimes moving it to another cache listing. If the bug is virtually logged or moved around too much, gc.com will lock the bug page down for abuse even though the bug owner isn't at fault.

If you want to reference a bug, look on upper left-hand corner of the bug page and you will see 'Use TBxxxx to reference this item'. That number can be posted online as it can't be used to log the bug.

When you photograph a bug try to position the tag so it won't show the tracking number. Otherwise you should use photo editing software (like Microsoft Paint) to erase the number from the image.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Leave it up to the Trackable Owner alone to publish the tracking numbers. Then it's his fault if the page gets locked. We keep telling people it's a bad idea to post tracking numbers. Posting tracking numbers and then asking others to continue posting them is almost the same bad idea :anicute:.

Do you see specific instructions on the Trackables' pages requesting that the tracking number is to be publicized, and showing that number? If not, there may be something fishy about the "social media" publishing request.

This is the trackable in question...

http://www.geocachin...ab-6b30342a0052

But there are a lot more like this one. Its meant to be virtually tracked. There is no physical item.

Edited by MRB3N

But there are a lot more like this one. Its meant to be virtually tracked. There is no physical item.

Not sure how you mangled that url so badly, but here it is again:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=3ef80cf0-eab5-4902-a9ab-6b30342a0052

I really can't see the point in something like this. Why bother? The trackable owner must have some strange attachment to the bug that went missing.

In my eyes, for both the owner and the people who "discover" it, it's just lame beyond understanding.

B.

Not sure how you mangled that url so badly, but here it is again:

I really can't see the point in something like this. Why bother? The trackable owner must have some strange attachment to the bug that went missing.

In my eyes, for both the owner and the people who "discover" it, it's just lame beyond understanding.

B.

There are loads of virtual trackables.

There is one thats a facebook trackable. Its quite famous.

I wouldn't be surprised if this TB were locked soon.

The TB page says to let it "visit" some caches, then post its number somewhere else so someone can carry it on. That doesn't suggest to me to post it on Facebook, Twitter, or wherever else. It tells me to post it in the cache log, as if you were dropping it in the cache.

I think the ambiguous language made the idea blow up in the TB owner's face.

I wouldn't be surprised if this TB were locked soon.

The TB page says to let it "visit" some caches, then post its number somewhere else so someone can carry it on. That doesn't suggest to me to post it on Facebook, Twitter, or wherever else. It tells me to post it in the cache log, as if you were dropping it in the cache.

I think the ambiguous language made the idea blow up in the TB owner's face.

How did you miss this on the listing page then?! :blink: I will directly cut 'n' paste quote the listing...

About This Item:

If you get left with this virtual trackable then please feel free to post this picture somewhere public twitter Facebook reddit Instagram.

Edited by MRB3N

Do they even lock trackables anymore?

There's a pinned thread at the top of this forum:

How To Keep The Secret Tracking Number Safe

Don't post those tracking numbers anywhere public!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=312124

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

There are people out there who look for these numbers and will virtually log the bug, sometimes moving it to another cache listing. If the bug is virtually logged or moved around too much, gc.com will lock the bug page down for abuse even though the bug owner isn't at fault.

B.

That doesn't answer the question. Even though the quote says they will, the question was "Do they?" Or is that quote completely out of date? I don't think they do, anymore. Does anyone know of a trackable that was locked recently?

That doesn't answer the question. Even though the quote says they will, the question was "Do they?" Or is that quote completely out of date? I don't think they do, anymore. Does anyone know of a trackable that was locked recently?

The pinned thread dates from June of this year.

Report these trackables to Eartha, and we will see what happens.

B.

B.

Erm no. Why be malicious and lock someones trackable on purpose?

B.

Cuz it's against Groundspeak's "rules"?

Why bring the topic up in the forums? It's a lame and cheesy bit of business, but if you don't pay attention to it, why do you care?

It's pretty obvious that these people are abusing the system, both the owners and the discoverers.

Posting in the forums about something that is against the guidelines/rules is one way to attract attention to the activity by the TPTB. Kind of a "back door" way to report it.

B.

B.

Maybe as of June of this year Eartha thought that was still the policy; on July 27 I sent her links to two trackables that had been cloned 100's of times and nothing was done.

This thread Post #24: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=313299&st=0&p=5283384&fromsearch=1entry5283384

and this thread Post #17: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=311999&st=0&p=5261197&fromsearch=1entry5261197

B.

Cuz it's against Groundspeak's "rules"?

Why bring the topic up in the forums? It's a lame and cheesy bit of business, but if you don't pay attention to it, why do you care?

It's pretty obvious that these people are abusing the system, both the owners and the discoverers.

Posting in the forums about something that is against the guidelines/rules is one way to attract attention to the activity by the TPTB. Kind of a "back door" way to report it.

B.

You're wrong. I don't see a problem with it if its supposed to be virtually tracked.

I understand that its against rules if its a regular trackable and thats just cheating.

But my original question was if its okay if its designed to be publicly broadcast as a virtual.

my original question was if its okay if its designed to be publicly broadcast as a virtual.

You were given the answer, then declared the person who answered is "wrong".

And there is no such thing as a "Virtual Trackable". You cannot "track" an item that doesn't exist. The Tracking Number is from a Geocoin or Travel Bug.

my original question was if its okay if its designed to be publicly broadcast as a virtual.

And there is no such thing as a "Virtual Trackable". You cannot "track" an item that doesn't exist. The Tracking Number is from a Trackable.

Worth repeating!

And there is no such thing as a "Virtual Trackable". You cannot "track" an item that doesn't exist. The Tracking Number is from a Geocoin or Travel Bug.

No I said they were wrong because they were talking about an actual regular trackable and its against the rules to log it virtually.

WHICH IT IS. But, that wasn't what I was talking about. I am talking about a trackable designed to be virtual.

See this example of the famous FACEBUG TRACKABLE that I referred to earlier in this discussion:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=7c5d198d-199a-4c65-9b44-fd6e431e9550

Groundspeak used to lock trackables that were offered for virtual logging but my impression is that since so much geocaching discussion/talk/info has moved over to the social media sites like facebook, Youtube and twitter they've given up trying to police the virtual trackables that appear quite regularly in these places and also sometimes in geocachers' personal blogs. (And I don't blame them tbh, I think there are more important issues that need attention.)

Nearly two years ago I reported a couple of such virtual items to Groundspeak and no action was taken - one of them is here: Virtual geocoin

What can the "old school trackable enthusiasts" do about it? Very little, I think, except to ignore the offers to log various virtuals and police our own trackables as well as we're able to remove any unwanted virtual logs that turn up.

MrsB :)

Groundspeak used to lock trackables that were offered for virtual logging but my impression is that since so much geocaching discussion/talk/info has moved over to the social media sites like facebook, Youtube and twitter they've given up trying to police the virtual trackables that appear quite regularly in these places and also sometimes in geocachers' personal blogs. (And I don't blame them tbh, I think there are more important issues that need attention.)

Nearly two years ago I reported a couple of such virtual items to Groundspeak and no action was taken - one of them is here: Virtual geocoin

What can the "old school trackable enthusiasts" do about it? Very little, I think, except to ignore the offers to log various virtuals and police our own trackables as well as we're able to remove any unwanted virtual logs that turn up.

Very true and you also answered my question. Many thanks.

I am actually all for virtual trackables, I think they offer a fun and modern alternative.

Also, like the one linked above by Bloranges, its raises awareness for Leukaemia.

And you shouldn't need to find a physical Geocoin to raise awareness for such a great cause.

I CALL THAT OP QUESTION ANSWERED AND TOPIC CLOSED. :)

Edited by MRB3N

I do wonder how much a virtual trackable (or even the ribbon magnets on cars, etc.) REALLY help raise awareness for leukemia, cancer, autism, etc.

"Oh, this virtual trackable has 'leukemia' in the title! Log it, move on..."

TOPIC IS CLOSED.

Oh and please grow up a bit.

Leukaemia is a serious disease and any kind of awareness no matter how small is important.

Posters should let the moderator team take care of closing threads and deciding whether to scold other posters. The above post was a personal attack. In addition, causes and agendas shouldn't be promoted or discussed in the Groundspeak forums except as specifically permitted under the rules pinned at the top of the Geocoin Discussion forum.

You can report your own thread if you'd truly like for it to be locked from further postings. A moderator is usually happy to do that, provided that the topic starter is not doing so in order to shut down competing viewpoints.

Very true and you also answered my question. Many thanks.

Please note that I only said it was "my impression" - I have no idea what Groundspeak's current policy is on virtual trackables.

Further to this discussion:

Recently, another U.K. geocacher has asked Groundspeak about their current position regarding virtual trackables. He didn't wish to post here himself, but he has given me permission to post Groundspeak's response:

"Hello XXXXX

Thanks for writing in about this. At this time, we are no longer policing the virtual logging of Trackables if the Trackable owner has designated that they would like their Trackable to be logged this way. We are always looking to improve the game and appreciate your feedback. Since this is a concept that may affect many Geocachers around the world, I suggest that you also post this thought in the Geocaching.com forums to get a sense of what the rest of the community thinks."

So there we have it.

MrsB

Further to this discussion:

Recently, another U.K. geocacher has asked Groundspeak about their current position regarding virtual trackables. He didn't wish to post here himself, but he has given me permission to post Groundspeak's response:

"Hello XXXXX

Thanks for writing in about this. At this time, we are no longer policing the virtual logging of Trackables if the Trackable owner has designated that they would like their Trackable to be logged this way. We are always looking to improve the game and appreciate your feedback. Since this is a concept that may affect many Geocachers around the world, I suggest that you also post this thought in the Geocaching.com forums to get a sense of what the rest of the community thinks."

So there we have it.

MrsB

Excellent, thanks! :lol:

I'm off to hunt for some virtual trackables.