TINY stickers for log books

Tate&Shanon

Hi y'all!

While out caching this weekend I saw quite a few people had left TINY stickers in the log books that had their names printed on them. By TINY I mean like the size of a pencil eraser or just a tad bigger. Does anyone know where I can take a look at these stickers online? I have done a google search and all I can come up with is stickers the size of a return address label.

Thanks in advance

~Shanon

Hi y'all!

While out caching this weekend I saw quite a few people had left TINY stickers in the log books that had their names printed on them. By TINY I mean like the size of a pencil eraser or just a tad bigger. Does anyone know where I can take a look at these stickers online? I have done a google search and all I can come up with is stickers the size of a return address label.

Thanks in advance

~Shanon

DO NOT USE STICKERS! They suck. They get gummy and glue the pages of the log together. One of the most horrible things you can do to a cache is to use stickers in the logbook. GET A STAMP!

Onlinelabels.com has lots and lots of labels to choose from. We use the return address size for our team label. It has all our names with a duck on the left side. Then my husband runs just the names through and turns the paper upside down and runs them back through and cuts them down the middle for half size labels. For anything smaller we just write.

DO NOT USE STICKERS! They suck. They get gummy and glue the pages of the log together. One of the most horrible things you can do to a cache is to use stickers in the logbook.

Oh, come on. Really? dry.gif

My experience as a cache owner is they aren't bad. I haven't had any horrible issues with them and I like some of the more creative personalized types and the stickers with photos of the geocachers or their dog on them.

DO NOT USE STICKERS! They suck. They get gummy and glue the pages of the log together. One of the most horrible things you can do to a cache is to use stickers in the logbook.

My experience as a cache owner is they aren't bad. I haven't had any horrible issues with them and I like some of the more creative personalized types and the stickers with photos of the geocachers or their dog on them.

I would not advise using a sticker on any sort of log that needs to be rolled up (bison tubes, nanos, etc.). Otherwise, they seem to work fine in the little notebook logs or even the small folded sheets. The act of rolling + moisture degrading the adhesive is what really is the biggest problem with them.

Thanks everyone. Yes - we do plan on using them just in the log books and NOT on anything that rolls up. The ones we saw this weekend were so stinking cute. They had the little froggy on them. :laughing:

You get them on eBay. Any size you want with whatever you want on them.

They aren't expensive either. I will post a link for you...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/168-Personalised-Geocache-Log-Stickers-For-Geocaching-/220733999600?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&hash=item3364c589f0

Hi y'all!

Thanks in advance

~Shanon

If you really like a particular one, go directly to the person who's name is on the sticker and ask them. Less guessing. Same with anything in life, from hair styles to cars.

I would not advise using a sticker on any sort of log that needs to be rolled up (bison tubes, nanos, etc.). Otherwise, they seem to work fine in the little notebook logs or even the small folded sheets. The act of rolling + moisture degrading the adhesive is what really is the biggest problem with them.

Yes, I agree. They are a bit of a pain on scrolls and logsheets. But maybe a tiny dot wouldn't be a problem - however it might fall off the scroll/sheet. Forgot about micros because we don't plant those, and we always use a book, not a scroll or piece of paper folded up.

Edited by L0ne R

I get mine free in the mail- lots of them- more than I could ever use. I cut them off the address labels that I receive from charities that are looking for money or from businesses offering them as a special gift.

The address labels adhere very well to the log and are somewhat designed to stick tight even when the mail is delivered in the rain and gets wet.

stickers and even many stampers are just selfish. They think that their sticker or stamp is OK to take half a nano log even when they can see there was only three slots left!

I don't think I've ever seen a sticker on a nano log. If I have, I just paid it no mind. Personally we only use stickers on logs that are at least 1-1/2" wide. So those are usually those ring bound little notebooks or sheets of notebook paper torn in thirds (which alot of the micro - pill bottle users use around here). When we find a nano or very small micro, we usually just write the team name taking up one space only. There can be anywhere from at least 2 of us to as many as 7 on the team at any time.

I never understood what was so hard about simply writing your name with a pen.

takes too long when there are more caches to find...

same concept when people pass during rush hour.

those 3 seconds matter! duh!

I find removing the wax paper backing on stickers takes longer then signing with a pen. If the OP is considering stickers for quick signing then a self-inking stamp seems to be a better idea for power trail runs.

stickers and even many stampers are just selfish. They think that their sticker or stamp is OK to take half a nano log even when they can see there was only three slots left!

Ugggh. This is why we lost the art of log writing on physical log books - - micro caches and micro logs are to blame. COs got angry that people were taking up too much room on their sheets/scrolls. Now all we get are dates and trailnames - no creative stickers or long logs. And even people who put out regular size caches use micro logs that encourage only dates and trailnames. Boring.

Edited by L0ne R

Good grief. I asked a simple question and it turns into an uproar. Thank you to the those who were kind enough to give me suggestions and even links on where to get the stickers.

I guess I'm now going to be considered a selfish geocacher because I will have both a stamp AND stickers. :P

To each their own. :anibad:

I write my name but what difference does it make and why do you care.

Who says I care? There are many things I don't care about that I don't get. NASCAR for instance.

You cared enough to respond.. :rolleyes:

Who says I care? There are many things I don't care about that I don't get. NASCAR for instance.

OWNED. B)

Of course, you can always pick a short username. My mentor mentioned this. When we found my first cache it was a nano, and there was only a tiny space, smaller was better. I was happy to see the site allows for characters versus just letters and numbers. Most sites don't allow that.

I think you have to sign the log to count, but is there a rule that the sig has to be your username? I saw abbreviations, but why can't someone use a special made-up symbol? A ciricle with a line through it (symbol for "diameter") for example? Then just mention the sysmbol in the site log in case there is any need to prove who it was.

Of course, you can always pick a short username. My mentor mentioned this. When we found my first cache it was a nano, and there was only a tiny space, smaller was better. I was happy to see the site allows for characters versus just letters and numbers. Most sites don't allow that.

I think you have to sign the log to count, but is there a rule that the sig has to be your username? I saw abbreviations, but why can't someone use a special made-up symbol? A ciricle with a line through it (symbol for "diameter") for example? Then just mention the sysmbol in the site log in case there is any need to prove who it was.

I have never signed a signed a Nano yet. I cannot stand the things! :mad:

I cannot get log out,

or back in,

there is never any space on the log,

then it takes an hour to roll it up, then realise its too fat, unroll, re-roll, still to fat, unroll re-roll... You get the idea.

Worst excuse for a Cache ever. A 35mm Film Canister should be the minimum size allowed in my opinion.

MICRO (Film Canister) is the lowest size that Groundspeak even let you specify anyway, but don't get me started.

Although I know I am far from alone on this Nano hating view of the game. Haha.

Anyway, to answer your question, NO you do not have to sign the log. :P

MICRO (Film Canister) is the lowest size that Groundspeak even let you specify anyway, but don't get me started.
Okay, I'll bite.

Groundspeak seems to disagree with you. From "What does a geocache look like?" in Geocaching 101 (emphasis added):

micro.gif Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

Hi y'all!

Thanks in advance

~Shanon

DO NOT USE STICKERS! They suck. They get gummy and glue the pages of the log together. One of the most horrible things you can do to a cache is to use stickers in the logbook. GET A STAMP!

They also take up to much room in Nano's and smell micros. What will work better is a small rubber stamp.

OWNED. B)

Ha! Slowpokes. I just stand in the general vicinity of the cache and think real hard, and my name instantly appears on the logbook, wherever it is. Pens, stickers, stamps - too slow and messy. cool.gif

[/color]1380116778' post='5304654']

Ugggh. This is why we lost the art of log writing on physical log books - - micro caches and micro logs are to blame. COs got angry that people were taking up too much room on their sheets/scrolls. Now all we get are dates and trailnames - no creative stickers or long logs. And even people who put out regular size caches use micro logs that encourage only dates and trailnames. Boring.

I think computers are to blame. If we didn't have Internet posting, people would sit down, take out their fountain pen, & write a 2-page entry in the leather-bound log book.

Okay, I'll bite.

Groundspeak seems to disagree with you. From "What does a geocache look like?" in Geocaching 101 (emphasis added):

micro.gif Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

Yeah its a sub-type. An add on in the small print that isn't properly incorporated into the Cache listing process.

So as I said earlier, when you list a Cache, NANO is not an option.

I quote myself: "MICRO (Film Canister is the lowest size that Groundspeak let you specify".

Try reading things properly rather than blindly see an opportunity just to release your stress on someone to feel like a big boy.

Edited by MRB3N
Okay, I'll bite.

Yeah its a sub-type. An add on in the small print that isn't properly incorporated into the Cache listing process.

I quote myself: "MICRO (Film Canister is the lowest size that Groundspeak let you specify".

Let's try this again.

Yes, micro is the smallest size rating currently supported on the geocaching.com site. Groundspeak has been promising a separate nano size rating, but for now, nano is a sub-type of micro.

But micro is not the size of a film canister. Micro is anything less than 100ml.

Since a film canister is about 35-40ml, it is a micro. But so are smaller containers like bison tubes, centrifuge tubes, and even blinkers.

Okay, I'll bite.

Let's try this again.

Yes, micro is the smallest size rating currently supported on the geocaching.com site. Groundspeak has been promising a separate nano size rating, but for now, nano is a sub-type of micro.

But micro is not the size of a film canister. Micro is anything less than 100ml.

Since a film canister is about 35-40ml, it is a micro. But so are smaller containers like bison tubes, centrifuge tubes, and even blinkers.

Okay. B)

I cannot get log out,

or back in,

then it takes an hour to roll it up, then realise its too fat, unroll, re-roll, still to fat, unroll re-roll... You get the idea.

Worst excuse for a Cache ever. A 35mm Film Canister should be the minimum size allowed in my opinion.

I find it rather funny that he says the nano is the "worst excuse for a cache ever"...and in the same breath used a film canister as a model cache.

That entire post really just goes to show that LIFE IS SO HARD

d7lGARs.gif

3bglyBB.gif

Edited by J Grouchy

I cannot get log out,

or back in,

I find it rather funny that he says the nano is the "worst excuse for a cache ever"...and in the same breath used a film canister as a model cache.

Excuse me? I am talking about the tiny black magnetic NANO Caches.

A 35mm film cannister is a MICRO Cache.

Can you tell the difference between NANO and MICRO?

I suppose its not easy, so I do apologise.

I'll help you out to make things a bit easier...

NANO has 4 letters. - MICRO has 5 letters.

A NANO is considerably smaller than a MICRO.

So thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it as you are a fellow Geocacher and you had a try.

So points there for effort and better luck next time as I am sure you'll get it soon.

But please dont be down-hearted.

You just need to practice a bit more and you'll get there champ.

Wishing you all the best! :D

So thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it as you are a fellow Geocacher and you had a try.

So points there for effort and better luck next time as I am sure you'll get it soon.

Okay, I give up. What does any of this have to do with J Grouchy's point about the humor inherent in your claim that a nano is the "worst excuse for a cache ever" while suggesting that a film canister is a model cache?

I cannot get log out,

or back in,

I thought my point was pretty clear. You said "worst excuse for a cache ever"...not "worst excuse for a nano cache ever" or "worst excuse for a micro cache ever". You yourself did not make the distinction, but instead said the little black nanos were the "worst excuse for a cache ever" and, in the VERY NEXT sentence, stated that a film canister should be the minimum allowed. Not "something the size of a film canister"...just "a 35mm film canister".

Anyway...while I agree that the nanos can be tough to deal with, they have their place. If I had a choice between dropping a nano or a cheap plastic 35mm film canister, I guarantee the nano will stay dry longer. Not forever, but longer. I think the only time I would use a film canister would be as a substitute for a baggie inside a larger cache container.

If I had a choice between dropping a nano or a cheap plastic 35mm film canister, I guarantee the nano will stay dry longer.
Yeah, the blinkers I've found have done fine as long as the O-ring holds up, even when completely exposed to the elements. On the other hand, film canisters generally need a sheltered location to stay dry, although the white translucent ones with snap-IN lids are better than the black/grey ones with snap-ON lids.

I think the only time I would use a film canister would be as a substitute for a baggie inside a larger cache container.
I've seen film canisters used to contain the log sheet, making it easier to remove the log sheet from a container that has a relatively narrow neck. In that situation, they're actually better than plastic bags. Of course, a straight-sided container would eliminate the need to contain the log sheet, but that's a separate issue.

Ugggh. This is why we lost the art of log writing on physical log books - - micro caches and micro logs are to blame.

I'm not sure that's the case. I think that for many caches the physical log isn't for properly thanking the cache owner for placing a cache or for sharing their experience with the cache owner and for others to read. It's become just an obligatory step one must do in order to get credit for the find, and yes, it is selfish when one gives a higher priority to finding as many caches as possible then not properly thanking and inconveniencing cache owner and future finders.

Hi my first post ever since I have been caching, but this topic is close to my heart, I used to cache under a team name (never posted under that name), no longer doing it for a variety of reasons (personal). So I have started again with a new name (but old different account created for a different purpose, now using it as a personal account).

I have recently got a name stamp with a logo made up to use. I had considered stickers for myself before settling on the stamp, for me I was just thinking about getting a single large sticker sheet, printing what I design I wanted then using craft hole punch/cutters to cut out the stickers and use them.

I know people say that they can't see the use in using stickers or stamps, but for me there is a reason.

I have a medical condition called Essential Tremor (also called Benign Essential Tremor or Familial Essential Tremor), and my writing is shot to hell, hard enough to write clearly on a surface like a table let alone out caching. I know I will have to write in the itty bitty spot provided by nano logs, but I accept that and will probably abbreviate to J73 (and mention that in my online log) to make it clear. Signing the log will be the easy part for a nano, opening, removing and replacing the log will be the challenge with my tremors.

Another point (besides medical reasons), I think for something like stickers, it can show peoples creativity, and therefore encourages it. The more we encourage people creativity within our game with little things like stickers, it might encourage them and others to be more creative with other things like being a bit more creative and descriptive in logs, creating personalised swag items, or even further and possibly creating creative caches (and who doesn't want those). Encourage creativity for one thing and the effects could flow on and around, stifle it and you end up with boring.

So I say anything that makes the game a little more interesting is a good thing.

Anyway, that is my 2.2 cents (including GST) worth.

Enjoy your day/evening

Craig (Jedi73)

Edited by Jedi73
Another point (besides medical reasons), I think for something like stickers, it can show peoples creativity, and therefore encourages it. The more we encourage people creativity within our game with little things like stickers, it might encourage them and others to be more creative with other things like being a bit more creative and descriptive in logs, creating personalised swag items, or even further and possibly creating creative caches (and who doesn't want those). Encourage creativity for one thing and the effects could flow on and around, stifle it and you end up with boring.

Odd that I see this differently...

When we first started, we placed hard-cover ledgers in all regular-sized hides.

Folks would leave notes of their journey, with maybe odd things that happened during the day, animals they saw, some even drew pictures or pressed a fern in the page.

They'd fill a page easy, some extending to two. That was creativity.

I think it was late '06 or into '07, that we saw our first sticker - right in the middle of an (otherwise) blank page.

Seemed to get progressivly worse soon after to name-only logs, stickers and stamps, sometimes twenty or better names on each page.

- We could say some are two-liners, if you counted the date many placed above their cacher name...

We finally replaced our ledgers with 3x5 Rite-n-Rain notebooks and now it's two lines tops (the date ya know).

No, sorry, I don't believe stickers encourage creativity.

cerberus1, I can see where you are coming from, I guess all my life I have been creative and don't like creativity being stifled.

I know some (most?) people will create stickers and/or stamps because they think that they can log a cache quicker, there will always be those people that want to be able to get there numbers up quicker and higher than others, however there will be a few that do it because they want to be creative, like those that create signature items or swag.

I have seen logs like you are describing, a name and date, or in the online log a TFTC on logs that have taken a person to a spectacular or wonderful location or taken a person on a wonderful journey to get to the cache. Unfortunately I see that as a sign of people that don't take time, they want everything now and once they are there they rush onto the next thing. I believe that is because of the world we have unfortunately evolved into, instant gratification that lasts a short time.

I guess my point was more wishful/hopeful thinking of a creative mind hoping others would express creativity too.

I will still use my stamp and if the log and if the cache location or journey warrants it I will write more than TFTC, it is something that I have taught in my technology courses that have included Geocaching, and something I believe in personally for I believe it adds to the game.

I cannot get log out,

or back in,

If you want the smilie for finding one of my caches, your name must be on the log. Whether it is a nano, or a large cache container.

I cannot get log out,

or back in,

If you want the smilie for finding one of my caches, your name must be on the log. Whether it is a nano, or a large cache container.

So you go and check the logs of your caches regulary do you?

One to check up on everyones name and also to make sure its not wet or full.