Need mantenance on Karpathos

Ste.grazzi

I'm not seeing a published Karpathos, Greece cache on the OP's list. I'm assuming they tried to publish it and were told that without a maintenance plan it wouldn't be published. That's a remote location. There are 3 caches on that island. Perhaps the owner(s) of those caches will agree to maintain your cache.

Personally I would not adopt someone's vacation cache if asked. It sends a message that it's OK to hide anywhere then let the maintenance become someone else's work, yet get the credit for the hide.

Edited by L0ne R
Personally I would not adopt someone's vacation cache if asked. It sends a message that it's OK to hide anywhere then let the maintenance become someone else's work, yet get the credit for the hide.
We should put caches in our country and it is better if you put caches in your country

Agreed.

I think it's okay if you visit often enough to place hides in Countries other than your own. When I was stationed in Germany, I was visiting other Countries every-other weekend.

But it's not fair to the folks who live there, to assume they're going to do all the maintenance for you.

Like Brevetoskylo said, "we really have a difficult job maintaining caches that foreign people do not take care of."

- Shouldn't have slipped by the Reviewers.

Dear friend, Ste.grazzi.

Do you really believe that Greek Geocachers have never been in that picturesque island, and that they didn't want to show the places around?

The Logic behind cache placing is to show that this place have something beautiful to see. But after that comes the question can you take care to this cache in long term ?

What keeps us away of that is the lack of easy maintenance. We are not so lazy as 'Madam' Merkel want to propose, we are careful about how to select, where and what we want to offer to other players for many years.

It is not an easy task I assure you, and after more than 90 caches, placed not only under my name, but also with other players in my island, we have replaced more than 10 boxes , moved three and trying to assure other two that are placed in the most interesting (!) places but keep swiped by sea waves after three replacements and rehides. There are muggles , waves, snow, water, rain, non sun resisting and bad sealing boxes. And unfortunately careless geocachers that don't give a dime of all this and just want the "found it" smile.

It is not a personal matter, and there is a reason why Geocaching calls this "...a long term relationship".

If as you said you like the island and your are willing to do something about it, next year try to promote the game to a local person, that will be interested in the idea of been geocacher. This may solve your problem...