Anybody know what this is?

ADKer

I'm surprised Bill92 hasn't chimed in yet--he knows all this stuff by heart.

What you found is a Transit Traverse mark set by someone whose initials are MC. The USGS had three (I think) types of traverse, good ol' standard traverse, transit traverse and electronic traverse. Marks set by the methods were stamped T, TT and ET, with the number following it being the count of that station on the traverse line, so you have the 73rd mark in the line.

You can contact the USGS office in Rolla, Mo. if you want to find out more about it.

Rinerts,

Don't know where your mystery mark is (always nice to provide a L/L when you request information on this forum), but it looks like the same crew chief set #53 Lake Placid Area and #62 Gone to Mel's Diner in that same year. Would yours be a continuation of that level run?

kayakbird

Quite possibly, it is in the same general area. The only reason I would think that it isn't is because it isn't in the database, while the ones you showed were(obviously).

I guess that you are going to keep the L/L secret.

OK, a bit of free information: frequently, especially back in the early 1900's, while doing a level run the CGS would come across an earlier USGS mark and usually one of three things happened. 1] It was totally ignored, (sometimes a new CGS BM was set very close by), 2] It was occupied and an given an elevation that likely did not exactly match what was stamped and the original date may, or may not, have been held and it was listed as a USGS BM.

The third option is much more interesting:

1903 USGS renamed by CGS in 1920

df4d47bf-bc6e-4e53-896d-979b33fcd62a.jpg

I think that most of us out west have seen one of these.

I have kayak raced the length of the Erie Canal (twice) and in the Adirondacks but am not familiar with the area in question. So back to my original curiosity, and no, you don't have to provide L/L. #62 is about 11 air miles northeast of #53. Is YOUR #73 about that same increment further northeast?

Maybe if I get bored with the baseball game tonight I will DSWorld a few more counties in that region to see if I can pickup some more MC marks. Great fun! MEL

Rinerts,

Thanks for the L/L. Using it as a reference point I have just spent several enjoyable hours wandering around the New York north woods in Clinton, Essex and Franklin counties. Looks like there are almost 100 marks that were placed by the USGS in the early 1900's. Most of these are undated, but a few go back to 1900 & 1903. Not enough numbered TT's to discern a logical level run that yours would fit in, but did run across a few interesting ones.

This USGS 1942 mark has been logged with a nice photo:

ROCK MOUNT - PG0958

e5f07a02-3b66-4397-97a6-3409dfb779c2.jpg

At least 8 USGS marks were incorporated into a CGS level run and given a CGS designation

- look for a '=' in the name. One of these, U 8 = 1194, has a recent recovery -

PG0998 HISTORY 1973 GOOD NGS - and the building appears to be still there on Google Earth.

This one is from one of my favorite sub-sets of marks:

A GOLDIE OLDIE

42d351f5-6834-489e-885b-81aa34fe0164.jpg

We had a lengthy thread on these 'gold' disks a couple of years ago.

Also noted that there are numerous 'chisel' marks with fairly recent recoveries - did not look for any with logged photos - and a 'magnetic' station that may be surviving in a cemetery. Could have a good five day or so target list if I ever get back there.

kayakbird

Rinerts,

Thanks for the L/L. Using it as a reference point I have just spent several enjoyable hours wandering around the New York north woods in Clinton, Essex and Franklin counties. Looks like there are almost 100 marks that were placed by the USGS in the early 1900's. Most of these are undated, but a few go back to 1900 & 1903. Not enough numbered TT's to discern a logical level run that yours would fit in, but did run across a few interesting ones.

This USGS 1942 mark has been logged with a nice photo:

ROCK MOUNT - PG0958

e5f07a02-3b66-4397-97a6-3409dfb779c2.jpg

At least 8 USGS marks were incorporated into a CGS level run and given a CGS designation

- look for a '=' in the name. One of these, U 8 = 1194, has a recent recovery -

PG0998 HISTORY 1973 GOOD NGS - and the building appears to be still there on Google Earth.

This one is from one of my favorite sub-sets of marks:

A GOLDIE OLDIE

42d351f5-6834-489e-885b-81aa34fe0164.jpg

We had a lengthy thread on these 'gold' disks a couple of years ago.

Also noted that there are numerous 'chisel' marks with fairly recent recoveries - did not look for any with logged photos - and a 'magnetic' station that may be surviving in a cemetery. Could have a good five day or so target list if I ever get back there.

kayakbird

Good to hear you're enjoying yourself!:lol:

I'll have to keep on the lookout in case I ever happen to stumble across another one of these. I'll ask around the local camps to see if anyone knows of anymore of these benchmarks. (I found this one since it was on an old map that we found in the rafters of our neighbors camp!)

The "unknownness" of this benchmark makes it all the more interesting...:rolleyes:

Found what I did wrong, with my image, so here is one I found in 2012

ffh3.jpg

Looks like you found the azimuth mark for Triangulation Station (on a reference mark disk) BLIXT PID # MM0368 in Custer County, Nebraska. Calls pinned on Google Earth put it at N47 13 21.9 W-100 06 12.3 elevation 3049. Does this sound about right?

This Tri has not yet been logged - you should write at least a note and post your photo.

Point of interest: It appears that Custer County may have three of only 13 PIDs out of hundreds of STATE SURVEY marks that were set in 1934 as part of a very short lived Depression era Public Works project. Most wer never surveyed to, so no PID, but still great fun to find. The one in the Myrna Library front yard would be very high on my target list.

I'll pull up a previous thread of mine which gives more detail - and I think some good links.

kayakbird