Pill bottles, bags for caches, LPC's

fart knocker!

IDK but i feal like if you hide a bag as a geocache it is good for the numbers, but how well do they hold up. same with lpc's they get muggled all the time.

im not shure if this works any better, but if you add a strip of duct tape arround the seal of the bag will it help it better in the long run from ripping???? i have no clue on this one? dose someone know???

thanks!

Fart Knocker!

Are you absolutely certain someone hid a 'bag' VERSUS someone could've stolen the container and left the bag??

You can never make assumptions unless the container is actually listed in the cache page.

Hiding a 'bag' only is ridiculous unless its a specialized hiding spide and the bag is a specialized hardened & durable bag to withstand the conditions.

Why would you suggest putting duct tape on the seal? How are people going to open it? They have to 'unstick' the duct tape and re-stick it?? That won't last long.

Don't hide bags.....period. Put bags INSIDE other containers. If you visit your local prescription counter, there are little pill bags that are thick and pretty durable for INSIDE containers.

Edited by Lieblweb

Are you absolutely certain someone hid a 'bag' VERSUS someone could've stolen the container and left the bag??

You can never make assumptions unless the container is actually listed in the cache page.

Hiding a 'bag' only is ridiculous unless its a specialized hiding spide and the bag is a specialized hardened & durable bag to withstand the conditions.

Why would you suggest putting duct tape on the seal? How are people going to open it? They have to 'unstick' the duct tape and re-stick it?? That won't last long.

Don't hide bags.....period. Put bags INSIDE other containers. If you visit your local prescription counter, there are little pill bags that are thick and pretty durable for INSIDE containers.

small bags have their places those that I have found have been covered on duct tape. Now pill bottles that contain log in baggies just do not work well. In most cases I have had tom use the needle nose pliers on my leatherman tool to get the bag out, this on many cases has damaged the bag. I have also seen pill bottles hides in which the CO has drilled into the bottle in order to attach a heavy wire to hang the bottle, this just allow rain water to enter the bottle and then get into the baggie and soak the log. If some one needs a small container they can be found for sale. I get then at a local plastics store or container store, they are only about 25 cents.

im not shure if this works any better, but if you add a strip of duct tape arround the seal of the bag will it help it better in the long run from ripping???? i have no clue on this one? dose someone know???

Duct tape is no good as a structural support nor as a seal. It becomes gummy, soaks up water, flakes in layers. It's as temporary as a ziplock bag.

The bag's seal is an issue, so is the bag material itself. It degrades outdoors, loses elasticity. A ziplock bag's life span is just a few open/close cycles. If your plan is to check the ziplock bag frequently, and change it after every couple of finds, it could work. Most ziplock bag COs place it and forget it. That's no good for a cache in most places outdoors.

Edited by kunarion

If you feel that you NEED a bag......

...think again about the container you are using.

Bags keep water out for a very short time, then they perform just the opposite of what you desire -- they hold water.

Moisture condenses within the bag and it never leaves! So, what happens? The paper log (paper is second to a sponge in soaking up water -- if you haven't noticed, yet), the end result being mush.

Baggies, once folded, do nothing to keep water out -- but they are good at keeping water in.

Any way you cut it, it is a poor line of defense.

Bags keep water out for a very short time, then they perform just the opposite of what you desire -- they hold water.

Moisture condenses within the bag and it never leaves! So, what happens? The paper log (paper is second to a sponge in soaking up water -- if you haven't noticed, yet), the end result being mush.

Baggies, once folded, do nothing to keep water out -- but they are good at keeping water in.

+1.

" If you feel you NEED to put your log in a baggie your cache container has already failed on a very fundamental level." DRAT19

+1.

" If you feel you NEED to put your log in a baggie your cache container has already failed on a very fundamental level." DRAT19

I placed my cache log book in a ziplock bag, inside my remote ammo can. A cacher closed the lid onto a corner of another ziplock bag (so it was holding the lid's rubber seal open), and the can flooded in the rain. That soaked everything, except it saved the log book, nice & dry, in its ziplock bag. So if I had not included ziplock bags in the container at all, I wouldn't have needed one. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
+1.

I placed my cache log book in a ziplock bag, inside my remote ammo can. A cacher closed the lid onto a corner of another ziplock bag (so it was holding the lid's rubber seal open), and the can flooded in the rain. That soaked everything, except it saved the log book, nice & dry, in its ziplock bag. So if I had not included ziplock bags in the container at all, I wouldn't have needed one. :anicute:

That's happened a couple of times to my authentic Lock n Lock hides - the baggie got caught in the seal. The contents got soaked. I'm finding that no baggie is a better option with quality water tight containers like authentic (not knock off) Lock & Lock containers and ammo cans.

+1.

I think the purpose of that particular axiom is to point out that baggies should only be a secondary line of defense. In your case, because you started with a quality container, had the aforementioned finder not compromised your seal, the baggie would not have been necessary. I don't think the axiom suggests that baggies, as a secondary line of defense in an otherwise quality container are not a good idea. Some folks use containers they acknowledge as being crappy, and justify their selection by stating they included a baggie in the container.

That's who the axiom was designed to target.

I think the purpose of that particular axiom is to point out that baggies should only be a secondary line of defense. In your case, because you started with a quality container, had the aforementioned finder not compromised your seal, the baggie would not have been necessary. I don't think the axiom suggests that baggies, as a secondary line of defense in an otherwise quality container are not a good idea. Some folks use containers they acknowledge as being crappy, and justify their selection by stating they included a baggie in the container.

That's who the axiom was designed to target.

Yes....baggies as a 2nd line of defense and a 3rd line of defense, write-in-the-rain paper. I utilize both. More often than not... it's the cachers themselves who need lessons in how to open and close containers properly. Cachers can't even close the baggies properly. You can have the perfect container, but when someone can't click or snap the lid back on - your log is toast (without baggies & good paper).

Edited by Lieblweb

yeah ive actually founds caches just baggies and are meant to be bags. and tape that's why I was wondering is their anything that can protect them from the Elements just to make it last a little bit longer

yeah ive actually founds caches just baggies and are meant to be bags. and tape that's why I was wondering is their anything that can protect them from the Elements just to make it last a little bit longer

We've found some too as I suppose many others have.

We usually just walk away shaking our heads and humming "Where have all the Flowers Gone?" ala Peter, Paul and Mary.....

ive actually founds caches just baggies and are meant to be bags. and tape that's why I was wondering is their anything that can protect them from the Elements just to make it last a little bit longer

The ones I've found are guard-rail type hides, a pill holder sized ziplock wrapped in duct tape. It's a sticky, filthy pouch that can kinda-sorta be closed due to some tape glue at the edge. Hidden by a prolific veteran cacher.

The ziplock will seal a couple of times, then fail. These hides usually are so uninteresting, they hang out on guard rails for a while, gathering “it's wet” logs. Fold a sheet of paper, form a piece of plastic as a kind of “book cover”, slide the paper into that, and you have the same basic idea, and it will be just as lousy a container, but without the seeping duct tape glue.

And your cache description should be “I hope you regret seeking my caches. I put no thought into them.” :anibad:

A water-tight match tube can be had for 99 cents at walmart. You could buy several for the cost of one roll of duct tape.

Edited by kunarion
free if you know someone who is diabetic - the test strip containers are GREAT!

I have a few of those (haven't tested nor placed any). But the diabetic people I know, don't produce a lot of empty containers. There are 50 strips in one. B)

A local cacher friend has more of them han he knows what to do with! He has ones like this:

One-Touch-Ultra-Diabetic-Test-Strips.jpg

I have had no issues with them out in the wild. They have a very secure lid, that's attached to the body.

I have had no issues with them out in the wild. They have a very secure lid, that's attached to the body.

The ones I got are white plastic. The one in the photo looks great!

How do you get the label off? Or do you try? I've been just a little leery of placing medical products. I find cache pill bottles which once contained some ill peoples' medications, and sometimes wonder how much residue remains, and how much of it I can safely touch. So far it hasn't affected me. Robot spiders are attacking my brain.

How do you get the label off? Or do you try? I've been just a little leery of placing medical products. I find cache pill bottles which once contained some ill peoples' medications, and sometimes wonder how much residue remains, and how much of it I can safely touch. So far it hasn't affected me. Robot spiders are attacking my brain.

No idea bout the labels. When he gives them to me they are label-less. These are test strips, so no meds in them.

This is what I don't understand. Decent containers can be had for very little money. Even for free if you know someone who is diabetic - the test strip containers are GREAT!

If you visit your local film developing center (CVS, Walmart, etc), you can ask them for their 3mm film containers. FREE. They'll give you a bag full of bottoms & lids. You have to match the bottoms with good clicking lids.

Some people hate film containers.... but they're a lot better than only a bag. Yeah...so, they're not creative but they're great for power trails & otherwise quick cache grabs that some folks need to fill in certain goals. Some days - I'm more than happy to see a nicely maintained film container cache.

Some days - I'm more than happy to see a nicely maintained film container cache.

Most film canisters I've found have wet soggy logs.

Yes and those usually have a damp/wet/soggy logsheet squashed inside a baggie (because the canister isn't water tight) that 's squashed into the film canister.

I am seeing more and more bag hides. Its a cheap, very cheap way to place caches in area where it will go missing within a few months. When it go missing, just archived it and start over. I am starting to see this in my area.

Most good spots are taken. I am talking about spots that a nice container wont get muggled so quickly.

I am seeing more and more bag hides. Its a cheap, very cheap way to place caches in area where it will go missing within a few months. When it go missing, just archived it and start over. I am starting to see this in my area.

Most good spots are taken. I am talking about spots that a nice container wont get muggled so quickly.

Like this?

587d2c3168b8d1afe18fc18abbaba99c.jpg

I use baggies and write-in-the-rain paper and I maintain regularly.

You can't always blame the container. :P

My film canister cache has waterproof paper and camo that kind of acts like a raincoat. Humidity is enough to cause ink to bleed, but the paper doesn't get mushy, and dries quickly. That cache is along my morning walk, so it's simple to check it. I need to do that anyway, since Nocacher puts the container back in its place. :anicute:

That same film canister has been there for 4 years. I guess I picked a good canister.

Edited by kunarion

Some days - I'm more than happy to see a nicely maintained film container cache.

If they were my caches, they wouldn't be. I use baggies and write-in-the-rain paper and I maintain regularly.

And I have found lots of film cans with the wet soggy log in a plastic baggie.

Like this?

i see my share of those. I been seeing them on an end of a wire deep in a hole. (hello OoC)

That same film canister has been there for 4 years. I guess I picked a good canister.

It is possible.....that a film container can be a good container. Imagine that??

Everyone has found wet & soggy containers whether its film containers, pill bottles or ammmo cans. YES - I have found totally wet soggy contents inside an ammo can.

If you're maintaining your caches - you'll know if/when containers lose their ability (or never had the ability) to keep water out. Containers & bags don't last forever. Eventually, they need replaced anyway. Plastic gets brittle... O-rings crack or fall off.... Lids get worn and won't shut properly.

Hello?? This is Maintenance calling...Is anyone Home??

Edited by Lieblweb

That's true. It's never the container's fault. Rather, it's the cheapskate, lazy cache owners who choose known crappy containers that are to blame. The silly notion that one can use known crappy containers because they've found soggy logs in ammo cans is, perhaps, the most absurd notion I've ever read on these forums. While, technically, it's accurate to say that any container is capable of failing, those who care about the experiences of the folks who seek their caches will play the odds, and use the best possible container for their given location. Those who don't care will place crappy containers, and wait till they see logs complaining about the soggy mess inside their crappy container and go do maintenance.

I have a few of those (haven't tested nor placed any). But the diabetic people I know, don't produce a lot of empty containers. There are 50 strips in one. B)

Ive found Caches That say they are but they are of Couse replaced and the cache description hasn't been updated. can someone please describe them to me?

That's true. It's never the container's fault. Rather, it's the cheapskate, lazy cache owners who choose known crappy containers that are to blame. The silly notion that one can use known crappy containers because they've found soggy logs in ammo cans is, perhaps, the most absurd notion I've ever read on these forums. While, technically, it's accurate to say that any container is capable of failing, those who care about the experiences of the folks who seek their caches will play the odds, and use the best possible container for their given location. Those who don't care will place crappy containers, and wait till they see logs complaining about the soggy mess inside their crappy container and go do maintenance.

now ive seen crapy containers but very well maintained. like for instance, I saw lip balm container. I was expected to find mush, but I found a pristine log book. that dated back 3 months ago. Now if I venture out to hide say a pill bottle like a did yesterday. I as a Co keep special watch over it and check up on it every other month. that I find works with those "Crappy Caches"

IDK but i feal like if you hide a bag as a geocache it is good for the numbers, but how well do they hold up. same with lpc's they get muggled all the time.

thanks!

Fart Knocker!

A plastic page is not a cache.. ..it should not be approaled as a cache

now ive seen crapy containers but very well maintained. like for instance, I saw lip balm container. I was expected to find mush, but I found a pristine log book. that dated back 3 months ago. Now if I venture out to hide say a pill bottle like a did yesterday. I as a Co keep special watch over it and check up on it every other month. that I find works with those "Crappy Caches"

In my opinion, when a cache owner intentionally chooses a known crappy container, such as lip balm tubes, film cans, baggies, or pill bottles, your maintenance plan should include, at a minimum, a daily visit, since 24 hours is all it takes for a log to turn to crap in such a piece of garbage. Checking on it less frequently than once a day does nothing but demonstrate that you wish to be in the "Don't care!" camp, frequented by those who are too cheap to spend $0.88 on a quality container, and too lazy to create a reasonable maintenance plan.

I blame the crappy hide due to people that dont want to waste too much money on containers that go missing really fast. I also blame it not enough good spots for nice containers as well. I do feel bad for those newbie CO placing really nice containers in area where it will go missing within a few months. Before long, they give up because too many of their caches go missing so fast. Many of those "left over" spots are available because nobody want to waste their time and money on them. Since I got a good share of all the archived cache in Oregon and I can see the picture of how many caches been in that area over the years. Its funny to see it.

During the month of Aug, I been seeing many big number cachers hiding really crappy containers in those "left over" spots because they know it will go missing within a few months but the caches is there for only for the month of Aug.(oh ya, that side game) Some of them are just bags. LOL!! They knew what they were doing!! LOL!!

Edited by SwineFlew

The easy answer to there being many "left over" hiding spots is to simply not use them. Asset some point people need to realise that a) not everyone can, should or needs to place a cache and that B) at some point there will need to be a mass clear out of these old crappy caches to open up space four new, decent caches to be placed.

You don't need to place a cache just because there is enough of a gap between other caches, you place a cache because you can make a good hide from the space that you have found.

Ive found Caches That say they are but they are of Couse replaced and the cache description hasn't been updated. can someone please describe them to me?

Look at the nice photo in post #19.

The easy answer to there being many "left over" hiding spots is to simply not use them. Asset some point people need to realise that a) not everyone can, should or needs to place a cache and that B) at some point there will need to be a mass clear out of these old crappy caches to open up space four new, decent caches to be placed.

You don't need to place a cache just because there is enough of a gap between other caches, you place a cache because you can make a good hide from the space that you have found.

I TOTALY AGREE GET RID OF THEOSE CRAPPY CACHES AND MAKE ROOM FOR NEW ONE. BUT IN SOTHER CALIFORINA A PILLBOTTLE ISA A STANDERD HIDE OPNLY FOR THE FACT THAT IT ALMOST NEVER RAINS AND WHEN IT DOES A PILL BOTTLE CAN DEFLECT MOST OF TEH WATER IF ITS COVERED. NOW WHAT I HATE THE MOST IS TEMP. DISSABLED CACHES FOR 3 MONTHS + I SEND THE REVEIWER ABOUT ONCE EVERY 6 MONTH ABOUT 20 CACHES THAT NEED TO BE ARCHIVED BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN INACTIVE FOR SO LONG. AND AFTERWORDS I TAKE THEIR PLACE [:)]

+1.

TRUE TRUE BUT I USE THEM ANYWAYS AS A SECOND LINE OF DEFENCE VS. WATER IN ALL OF MY SNOW CACCHES IN BIG BEAR CALIFORINA. BUT IN MY ONES IN CAMARILLO, MEXICO, AND SO. CAL I DO NOT BECAUSE ITS A WAIST

Like this?

i see my share of those. I been seeing them on an end of a wire deep in a hole. (hello OoC)

IM KINDA SORRY BUT THE WIRE IN A HOLE IS A PRITTY GOOD IDEA IF UR USING A PILL BOTTLE OR A BISON TUBE ECT.

A local cacher friend has more of them han he knows what to do with! He has ones like this:

DOESE ANY ONE KNOW WERE TO GET THESE I CHECKED EBAY ALL I FOUND WERE PILL BOTTLES :(

DOESE ANY ONE KNOW WERE TO GET THESE I CHECKED EBAY ALL I FOUND WERE PILL BOTTLES :(

Ask friends and relatives who are diabetic. And you may need to wait for the person to use up all the test strips. :anicute:

"Glucose test strip containers". There is a listing on ebay today, but I can't tell if they seal like the above pictured kind.

Edited by kunarion

Ask friends and relatives who are diabetic. And you may need to wait for the person to use up all the test strips. :anicute:

"Glucose test strip containers". There is a listing on ebay today, but I can't tell if they seal like the above pictured kind.

i dont think those seal

i dont think those seal

Here's an ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPTY-DIABETIC-GLUCOSE-TEST-STRIPS-CONTAINERS-BOTTLES-STORAGE-CRAFTS-GEOCACHING-/161104211687?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25828f2ee7#ht_1618wt_855

The description about "moisture resistant material is secured inside the cap" doesn't sound so hot. Those would be a good reason to use the ebay "ask a question" feature, since with all the photos, there are none that show the cap seal. But they look cool! B)

Maybe they're like this?

http://www.chaarly.com/health-equipment/45872-gluco-leader-extra-blood-glucose-test-strip-for-self-testing-glucose.html

Edited by kunarion

i dont think those seal

I have had a couple of these given to me, and they don't seem to be as good as the black ones I have used. I have not placed them out in the wild, so I can't say for certain if they will work or not.