Installing multiple img's on Oregon 450

gcfishguy

This is sort of a spin-off of my other post, but here's the jist of what I'm doing, and what I'm having problems with.

I want a LOT of saved tracks on my GPS...I ATV a lot, and have over 1000kms of trails within an hour or so drive.

SO... I've been using GPX2IMG to create a transparent layer of tracks..that works A-1. But, I'd like to have a separate img for the trails for (ex) area #1, area #2, etc.

I tried the obvious, creating an IMG of area#1 with GPX2IMG, it installs to Basecamp, then I can send it to the Oregon. Then I go rename it on the card so I can repeat the process with area #2.....and then #3, and so on. It sort of works.....

What I end up with is each of the renamed IMGs on the card, and the GPS will display ALL the tracks from ALL the IMGs, but (I believe) because GPX2IMG or Basecamp is causing the product ID to be the same for each transparent layer, the Oregon only lists ONE of the GPX2IMG img's in the enable/disable area. (It lists TopoCanada, CN North America, etc just fine but where there should be 3 or 4 GPX2IMG maps, it only 'sees' one product ID so it assumes they're all the same map.)

I have tried playing with the names of the GPX files, the mapset name in the options of GPX2IMG, and everything else I can think of. Same result.

On the advise of a poster in my other thread, I searched out a tool that could change the Product ID, and found MapSet Toolkit (in conjunction with CGPSMapper).

This might work, but it takes my transparent IMG, and makes it non-transparent. I have changed the transparency settings in MapSet Toolkit, and also the priority, no no avail.

The img lays over the topo map on the GPS, but the area that the img covers is white, but does have the tracks shown.

I have tried allowing it to install the img into basecamp, and pushing it to the GPS from there, and also NOT installing it into Basecamp, and just copying over the IMG but the results are the same each way.

Can anyone recommend a tool that will just change the product ID (Or whatever non-unique value is causing the maps to all be seen as one) or maybe point out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!!!

<><

Edited by gcfishguy

Because I don't want to. :D

The ATV trails around here change with the seasons. During spring, summer, fall, anyone can use the trails that are designated snowmobile only during the winter.

Trails that are frozen and groomed in the winter may be bottomless swamp in the summer.

The ATV clubs generally don't groom all the trails in their regions.

So, those are some of the reasons I'd like to be able to create several different IMGs, and enable them and disable them as I like.

I tried my custom map imgs of my various trails, parcel boundaries, State Land boundaries, etc that work in my Colorado(s)and 62s in a friends Oregon 550 and they also show up as a single map img to allow enabling/disabling. This seems to be how the Oregons handle custom mapsets sorry to say, but don't have an answer why. Mine all work the way you hope in my units, but not the Oregon.

If you are just trying to display a track on top of the maps might I suggest using the track manager instead?

Copy your GPX files to Oregon:\Garmin\GPX (NOT 'Current' or 'archived')

Turn the Oregon on and select, 'Track Manager'

You should see, 'Current', 'Archived', and then a list of your GPX files.

Select a GPX and choose, 'Show on map' or 'hide on map'

Timpat - Thanks for checking. I have an idea it's because the software I'm using (and you too, possibly) is giving each generated map the same product ID...so it 'thinks' the 3, 4, 5 maps are only one map when it generated the list to display (on the enable/disable screen)

Mr Kaswa - I assumed that if you dropped several GPX files in there, all containing a bunch of tracks, it would just glob all the track together in the track manager and disregard what GPX they live in. If you can have multiple tracks in each GPX, and show/hide by GPX file, that would be a solution. I'll be trying that in a few minutes. Thanks for the info!!!!!

Red90 - On your advice, I poked around the Interwebs for software that would change the Product IDs. Check my post, I'm using MapSetToolkit now, but regardless of how I set the transparency settings, the darn map it spits out isn't transparent. Maybe in the process of creating a GPX, converting the gpx to an img, then using a 3rd program to twiddle the img and stuff it into Basecamp, something is seeing something the other software did and saying..."Uhh..no." and not playing nice.

I was in the process of taking screenshots of the different trail systems and then was going to add that image as a layer in google earth and then save it as a custom map and it will overlay on top of my.....you get the idea.

I'm pretty sure that would work....but I'm going to try the Mr Kaswa suggestion now.

I understand what you are wanting to do and why, and agree with your reasoning. I just don't do it by turning individual maps on and off,

I essentially do the same thing manually for the same reasons. (Winter trails are not the same as Summer trails in the same area.)

I group "sets" of trails in different gpx files. Grouped by season or area or type or??? and named accordingly. I place the appropriate gpx file(s) on the memory card. The individual tracks in the gpx file show up in the Track Manager tracklist. User settings on your gps determine whether or not individual tracks are "show(n)on map" or not.

Word of Caution Note: Let's say you have 20+ named tracks in one gpx file on the card. All the track names will show in the TM tracklist and if you have so designated, all will be displayed at the same time on the map. Now, if you archive one of those 20+ tracks for some reason, it is removed from the gpx file on the card and put in "archive". Even if it is later "remade" a Favorite, it does not go back into the gpx file on the card. (it is then/now stored in internal memory) That "card" gpx file is permanently modified.

Knowing that, I only add,remove,edit data in the "Master" gpx file for that "system" on my PC, and then just copy it to the card and let it overwrite the old file on the card.

If you see duplicate named tracks in the TM tracklist, it's probably because one is coming from the internal memory and the other is coming from the gpx file on the card. I delete the one from internal memory because I try to keep the "Latest & Greatest" info up to date in the PC ver. gpx file.

I only have to worry about keeping one file per "system" (or however they are grouped) updated.

All (and only) pertinent data is included, waypoints, tracks, routes,etc. because intersection points sometimes change with the seasons also.

You're in control of whether you put only one gpx file on the card or multiple files. If it's on the card it's data is available, if not ....DUH...it's not.

Thanks for that grasscatcher..that makes a lot of sense. I may end up doing it that way but having dozens of tracks to enable on the unit is a pain.

The 'show/hide on map' think still baffles me, why you can't flag them in basecamp to be shown by default or something. It's fine if you have one or two tracks for a day of hiking, but I could run on dozens of different tracks in a day..what a pain to have to go into each track and set it to show on the map. It's tough as well, to combine a trail network into fewer tracks because of loops, offshoots, etc. It would be nice if a new type of 'track' was created where it could just have branches sticking out, loops, etc....not having to being a continuous line with a start point at one end and an end point at the other.

Okay, on to my next weird thing that's going on. For some reason, the 450 is displaying these transparent IMGs at different zoom levels...for no reason.

I'll look at the map, and the network of tracks (as a transparent IMG) around the cabin will be visible, I zoom out a but, and other tracks from other layers start coming into view. For whatever reason, the IMG that contains the tracks around the cabin is visible zoomed way in, out to 200m, but at 300m and beyond, it's gone. But, other tracks from different IMGs are always visible....

I have tried disabling all maps (topocanada, city Nav 2014)and if doesn't make a difference. I went through my zoom levels and none of them effect the transparent layers. I'm not changing any setting in GPX2IMG between gpx exports, and I have tried only adding the IMG for the trails around the cabin, and no others...it still vanishes after the 200m mark. It's beyond me what makes it any different than any of the others. I even went through exporting the lists again (from Basecamp) one by one, and remaking each IMG one by one, and that one still behaves the same way.

I know, some people are saying, "Why the heck does he want to do this and that and whatever...."...that's what some of us do. Some people plug their GPS into their computer and send one geocache to it, then go out and look for it...we all use them differently.

Anyway...I upgraded to the 450 for several reasons; the ability to use several maps at once was one of them. I just want it to work. :-)

Anyone have any ideas?

Okay...mystery of the vanishing tracks solved....

I copied a bunch of groups of tracks from basecamp and pasted them into Mapsource.....the 10 tracks for this trail system, the 15 for that trail system, etc... Then I saved them ALL as one GPX, opened that GPX in GPX2IMG, and started assigning each trail system a different colour, then let GPX2IMG create one big IMG. To be clear, I always enable the option in GPX2IMG to "Enable TYP files to create custom colour maps". That takes away the designations of Major Road, Trail, Boundry, etc, and gives you a lot of different colours to choose from, and each colour can be 2 pixels wide, or 4 pixels wide.

This time, the only thing I did differently was to not really care what trail system got what colour...since I was just testing different stuff. I had always given the trail system around the cabin the colour blue. Why blue? Dunno...just because..... This time I gave it red. I checked after loading the IMG onto the 450, and yes!!! it's visible at all zoom levels. but wait.....there should be trails over there in that trail system...but there isn't. I zoom in to 200m over there, and lo and behold they pop up....and guess what colour I happened to have assigned them.....right...blue.

So...it may happen with other colours, I'm not sure, but of the colours I use, blue is the only one that vanishes after zooming out past 200m. Son of a..... Why do tracks that are blue not display past 200m (all other things being dead-on equal)??? Beats the poop out of me.....

So, there you go. Or there *I* go, since I'm likely the only numbskull that's ever wanted 600 different tracks in one transparent layer....but I figured I've typed this much, I might as well post my findings in case it can save someone some head scratching when they're poking around forums and trying to do a similar thing....

Edited by gcfishguy

This is what is probably happening with your Blue colored trails. You've said your utilizing a Typ file to be able to color code various trails. The Typ file designates which polylines such as Major Hwy., Principal hwy., Other hwy., etc. (there are about 13 different types of street/hwy. designations that are polylines, more if you count the non-street ones available) are to be which color. The polyline that is desginated to be the Blue color is probably a very low level street type, such as Roundabout, Unpaved Road, Highway Ramp, Alleyway, etc. and is not designed to appear until your zoomed in a lot.

When a custom vector map is made, the above situation is not an issue on handheld units but when the same custom vector map is used on the NUVI GPSes then the low level street polylines will not appear until you zoom in a lot, like you say sometimes to zoom level of 200m.

The programs your using to combine and transfer are probably causing this to happen with your Oregon, like in the NUVIs.

Experiment with using different colors instead of Blue and see which colors will appear at all zoom levels.

You may already be doing this, I wasn't going back to read the entire thread to see, be sure your GPS detail level is set to "Most".

Edited by eaparks

I know you've said you don't want to include all info into a single .img file, but honest truth, It's better to do it, than separate.. I crashed a Nuvi-205, 1300W, eTrex Legend-HCx and Vista-HCx, trying to load separate .img files onto a MicroSD.. requiring a master reset of all devices to get them active again. IF you go into the Map Info, you CAN disable the various parts, by unchecking them.. I learned this the hard way, thinking I bricked the Nuvi's. Worse case, see what MapSource does with the .IMG files, and select the sections you want, into a single new .IMG file. Right now, I have (a) the North american basemap (default), (B) ibycus-USA road, ©&(d) two hiking trail maps, (e) the entire north-east USA from Topo-1000K, and (f) a Openmaps topo-routeable, all loaded into the SD card for the nuvi in the car, and the Vista-HCx, and have no problems. Everything visible, or going into the map info, I can uncheck the parts I don't want.