Oregon 450t Distance from a waypoint

RoamingDisco

I do a lot of offroad travel, and often times directions will say "From this intersection, travel 5.3 miles and turn left on a dirt road"

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to find this information on the 450t.

Often times I will plan ahead and mark known intersections on BaseCamp, but sometimes I can't. So I follow written directions. Being able to Add a waypoint on the device, then quickly be able to see how far I've traveled from it would be helpful. Something that could be added to the dashboard.

Thanks.

I do a lot of offroad travel, and often times directions will say "From this intersection, travel 5.3 miles and turn left on a dirt road"

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to find this information on the 450t.

If you can live with the straight line distance, rather than the route distance, simply place a red pin.

Your OR will calculate the distance and bearing from the blue triangle to the red pin, and as you move that D&B is continually updated and displayed on the top.

To move the red pin, either tap in another location or move the map under the pins current location. Neither is terribly precise.

Aside from resetting your trip odometer every time you get to a waypoint, there's no easy way to to see how far you've travelled from the last waypoint. You could make note of your odometer at the waypoint, and do a little math each time you look at the GPS. The trip odometer can be displayed on just about any screen.

If you're trying to make directions for someone else to follow, the best thing to do is get these distances from your track later on in Basecamp.

*edit: I just found one possible solution, and that is to use the Stopwatch page, and at each waypoint, start a new "lap." You can view your lap distance as distance from the last waypoint.

Aside from resetting your trip odometer every time you get to a waypoint, there's no easy way to to see how far you've travelled from the last waypoint. You could make note of your odometer at the waypoint, and do a little math each time you look at the GPS. The trip odometer can be displayed on just about any screen.

If you're trying to make directions for someone else to follow, the best thing to do is get these distances from your track later on in Basecamp.

*edit: I just found one possible solution, and that is to use the Stopwatch page, and at each waypoint, start a new "lap." You can view your lap distance as distance from the last waypoint.

Your comment doesn't make sense. The answer by me and the one prior to you show how to accomplish what he wants. What device are you using that doesn't allow this function? He said he has a 450T.

@Walts Hunting

"Your way" and the other one you referred to would work "OK" but would be straight the line distance.What if the path is a zig zag or really knarly set of switchbacks?.....Not so good....

That may, or may not, be accurate enough. That would be solely dependent on the configuration of the path.

Doing it with the stopwatch should be the "as traveled" distance would be more accurate, or just as accurate, consistently independent of path traveled.

Edited by Grasscatcher