Looking for a GPS that can import CAD files

#1Penguin

Hello cachers - I'm looking for a GPS device to use while caching (not very satisfied with accuracy in my iphone), but I also would like the device to be able to import AutoCAD files or shapes.

I work in land development and I'm frequently out in project sites and would like to be able to look at my GPS device and know that I'm standing in what will be a road, detention pond, easement, etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Many of the newer GPSr's can handle photos of different formats. Perhaps all you need to do is have the CAD program generate a compatible image from the drawing... I've used screen captures from Google Earth into my digital camera to provide me with such things... I do maps and air photos and adjust the zoom level to provide several 'area' sizes. I see no difference with that and an image compatible GPS. I've tried it with an Etrex 20 for our SAR group. However the images are small on that one.

Anyway you can investigate that part. Most computers can do screen capture and most AutoCad programs can render representations of the 3d mesh into many types of image directly. Have to admit that a 'plan' view might not render well with text, but I am used to a much older AutoCad that most use today. Still the rendered images could help in other ways such as visualization of what will be. Screen captures are maybe a better way and most PC type computers do that easily.

Hope that helps. Look at the upper end of Garmin Devices for good chances at something useful. They even include cameras in some of them.

Doug 7rxc

I work in the GIS/GPS and civil engineering field and I do this using my Garmin hand held mapping units, in particular my 62s, Oregons, and Colorados, and my trusty old 60Cx. There is no easy way to simply import CAD files or shapefiles (with Garmin GPSrs), but using GIS software and several 3rd party (free) programs custom Garmin mapsets can be created as transparent maps. Your CAD data must be georeferenced and projected ultimately to WGS84 for starters. I export CAD data into ArcGIS shapefiles then use GPSMapEdit to create my maps. Someone who uses Delorme GPSrs may chime in as I believe they can import shapefiles?

Before advancing in my methods I would work with the CAD/GIS layers getting what I wanted into .GPX tracks, then loading the "saved tracks" to give me basic polylines for roads, utility lines, lake boundaries, parcels, etc. Garmin units hold numerous saved tracks with each having 250 or 500 track points if I recall.

In any event, there are ways to accomplish what you want, but it involves a pretty good learning curve. I'm sure others out there have good input too.

As mentioned above, professional GIS apps will likely be required to convert CAD files of geometric shapes, although conversion to (track) lines or Way(points) in GPX format is supported on most of the geocaching grade gps units. As to Delorme apps, to avoid recreating the the closed shapes in bundled Topo consumer apps, user would need to purchase at least the mid-level XMap8 Pro Editor GIS version to get direct conversion at import. Then it would be necessary to down convert (copy) to Draw files compatible with the PN-40/60 GPS supported features.

I forgot to mention one other method. I also use DRNGPS (free) that opens and sends GIS shapefile points and lines to Garmin units. The polylines are also treated as "saved tracks" so depending on which Garmin you use will determine how many can be handled. I can take a GIS tax parcel polygon (that has been converted to a polyline first) and reproject it from its native coordinate system to WGS84 to display in my units. Having a GIS background helps immensely.

@ Timpat.....Isn't that program DNRGPS from Minnesota DNR?

I use DNR Garmin,...... same thing.

Expert GPS by Topografix will also open / import data in shapefile format, then save in GPX format and send to your GPS.

Yes, it's from Minnesota DNR. About 2 yrs ago they released a major revision. They planned on doing so for some time but Garmin sped up the process by saying they did not want their name used. I was fortunate to be a beta tester on DNRGPS 6.0.

Following along with great interest and glad to see that there are some here that understand what I want/need to do.

Now, for the "hitch" - I'm an engineer, but I don't use CAD. (they don't trust me with it? I don't even have it on my computer! LOL), so I have to get one of my CAD operators to do this for me and send me the resulting file that could be uploaded to a GPS unit. I can also ask my surveyor to help me convert files for this use.

I don't need a "plan" view on my GPS unit...all I'm really looking to do is take a general layout of right-of-ways, easements, and detention ponds - convert that to some basic polylines and then import to GPS.

To understand WHY I want to do this...I frequently have to clear trees from project sites, and I'm a woodworker. The contractor will clear all trees within the limits we set. Generally, they will come in, cut and sell the hardwood trees for lumber, and the pines for lumber or pulp - then burn everything else. On the project I'm working on right now - I've identified about 15-20 trees that interest me as a woodworker, but the contractor would just burn them.

So I'm trying to get into my jobsites and selectively cut down a few trees before my clearing contractor moves in.

As mentioned above, professional GIS apps will likely be required to convert CAD files of geometric shapes, although conversion to (track) lines or Way(points) in GPX format is supported on most of the geocaching grade gps units. As to Delorme apps, to avoid recreating the the closed shapes in bundled Topo consumer apps, user would need to purchase at least the mid-level XMap8 Pro Editor GIS version to get direct conversion at import. Then it would be necessary to down convert (copy) to Draw files compatible with the PN-40/60 GPS supported features.

The same method as stated in a post from a member of the DeLorme staff.