OK Geocachers Spring Fling

TresOkies

I'm putting this topic here in case some folks miss the event cache listing. We are planning a spring geocache event on June 8, 2002. The final location hasn't been nailed down yet, but it will be somewhere near Hydro, OK (about 55 miles west of I-40 and MacArthur Blvd in OKC). Everyone is welcome (even Texans icon_wink.gif ).

Festivities will begin around 1:00 and we will have a barbeque around 5:00. Those who wish to stay overnight are encouraged to bring their camping gear. Sign up and list your item for the potluck dinner at

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19291

Hope to see you there!

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

Like the idea of the spring fling..any ideas of what all activities will be going on? I will have to check if my self and some of my geocaching compadre's will be able to make it but hopefully something like this can become possibly a semi-annual thing even? I guess we are going to hold our monthly meeting there as well.

-HipsterDo0fus

Edmond, OK

I thought a "poker run" would work well for a game as well as just hiking around. I'll stash a bunch of cache containers at the site prior to the meeting. I will be at the May meeting to help nail down the agenda. The Spring Fling will be in place of the June meeting.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

1) Just how rough is the road to the location. Normal Oklahoma dirt road? Or is it rutted out pretty bad? Pictures?

2) I have some spare unsued bugs. Will donate a travel bug to the cause if we can come up with a good item.

3) Is there going to be a bonfire or just a grill? I can provide some fire extinguishers if you want me to bring some.

4) How big is the cache container going to be?

5) Do I ask to many questions icon_razz.gif ?

beatnik

quote:
Originally posted by beatnik:

1) Just how rough is the road to the location. Normal Oklahoma dirt road? Or is it rutted out pretty bad? Pictures?

A normal Oklahoma dirt road for most of it. Drive slowly and it shouldn't be a problem. There are three cattle guards that you have to cross along the way. Going from the rim of the valley down is a little technical, but not too bad. There are a few washouts on it. As you get into the valley, you probably don't want to drive to the actual camp site unless you are in a raised vehicle.

As I mentioned on the cache page, I will be at my shop at 12:30 pm and 2:30 pm to pick up anyone who isn't comfortable or able to drive on dirt roads (coordinates in my sig). I will return anyone who wants to leave after the evening entertainment.

quote:
2) I have some spare unsued bugs. Will donate a travel bug to the cause if we can come up with a good item.

I thought I'd collect cache items and create a roadside cache somewhere along I-40 near Hydro. Travel bugs might be a good choice. I thought I would put one in there.

quote:
3) Is there going to be a bonfire or just a grill? I can provide some fire extinguishers if you want me to bring some.

Well, I've been considering that. If you notice the panoramic photo, there are a number of brush piles built from timber from the ice storm. I thought I'd ask the owner if he minded if we torched one (if it's not windy that day).

I have already dug a fire pit for a small fire, so there will be fire regardless.

So, considering that this event will have 1) men and 2) fire, it might be best to have some sort of fire extinguisher on hand. You service the large-scale commercial variety, right? Might be a good idea. icon_smile.gif

quote:
4) How big is the cache container going to be?

As big as necessary? I thought a standard size ammo box.

quote:
5) Do I ask to many questions icon_razz.gif ?

No worse than my 5 year old. icon_razz.gif

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631