ETREX 10 - How to use

ashsam69

Hi,

Recently purchased an ETREX10 and tried to use this on a local series of caches.

However, I'm not sure how to use this properly. I've downloaded caches to the device but need to know how to use it properly.

Is there anyone out there who can give me some simple(ish) instructions on how to navigate to the cache, etc?

Many thanks,

Ashsam69

Hi,

Recently purchased an ETREX10 and tried to use this on a local series of caches.

However, I'm not sure how to use this properly. I've downloaded caches to the device but need to know how to use it properly.

Is there anyone out there who can give me some simple(ish) instructions on how to navigate to the cache, etc?

Many thanks,

Ashsam69

Hi I just got the same GPS, and don't like it...I did dondload the manual, however, its not user friendly hope you have better luck than me

In a nutshell

1. Switch on and wait for "home page" to come up

2. Move little joystick on the unit to "where to" and push the button on top of the joy stick

3. Select "geocaches"

4. If you are outdoors and there are suitable satellite signals it will bring up the closest caches to your location.

5. Use the joystick to choose the one you want.

6. Then "GO"

7. If you then want to view the geocaches data press "menu"

8. Select "view geocache"

Hope that helps, the manual really isn't up to much.

I love my eTrax 10!!!! I typically cache locally and always check the maps on the cache page to see where I'm going. I get as close as I can driving and then only use the page that lists all my caches (click on geocaches and the cache list will come up with the closest one first), cuz the maps on this gps are stinky and useless!!! That page will tell you how many feet and what direction to walk toward. Never have had any problem getting to the locations, finding the cache, yes, but that's what it's all about!! :) I did some caching when we went on vacation this year and also had no troubles..... Hope this helps ya!!

I have Etrex 10 and wife has etrex 20. We love them. They are easy to use and very accurate as they use the Glonass satellites. If you're doing local caches download them manually. I use GSAK and 600 caches seems to be close to the limit for for the Etrex 10 (that's using a 60 kilometre radius). The Etrex 20 will easily take a 1000 and more. Just keep playing with the buttons, try all the features and experiment. You'll soon get the hang of it.

I have Etrex 10 and wife has etrex 20. We love them. They are easy to use and very accurate as they use the Glonass satellites. If you're doing local caches download them manually. I use GSAK and 600 caches seems to be close to the limit for for the Etrex 10 (that's using a 60 kilometre radius). The Etrex 20 will easily take a 1000 and more. Just keep playing with the buttons, try all the features and experiment. You'll soon get the hang of it.

The eTrex 20/30 holds 5000 caches.