KC Area Geocachers - II

Guest Paul Lamble

Guest tecmage

Hey Paul,

Sounds like a winner to me! We should see a few more caches and Geocachers in the area soon. The Des Moines Register is interested in doing an article. That means that one day (soon I hope), we won't have to drive 2+ hours to get to caches we haven't found (and that's still in Iowa)!

Richard

Guest chrome

Well it looks as though Myself, the wife and The Geocache Kids will make it to the picnic. I'll bring Baked Beans (my speciality next to chili and lasagna) and some other side dish that is yet to be determined.

Any idea where this thing is going to be?

[This message has been edited by chrome (edited 09 July 2001).]

I have a question for all of you who have caches in the KC Metro area. It seems we're running in brick walls here in St. Jo(k)e. We've asked permission from the Conservation Dept. only to be denided,and the city is just as friendly. We can't place it near our home due to we only have a concrete front yard (no where to hide a cache!). I was even armed with info from the website and the article from the KC Star. Both Brooke and I are hooked on Geocaching and would like to see a few caches in this area (North of KC) but we're running low on options. Any sugestions?

Thanks,

Greg

Guest Paul Lamble

Greg,

I've placed 6 caches in the KC area. ALL of mine have been placed with permission of the park managers, and that's the key in my opinion. I did NOT go to the head of the park department for Johnson County, Kansas and ask permission. I went to the local park manager, in one case it was a woman I was on a first-name-basis with because of all of the volunteer work I'd done at her park. I've found these folks are much more approachable and understandable than some bureaucrat up in an office.

A few things I do to make mine more acceptable: say from the outset that the caches are to be placed on a TRIAL BASIS. If they cause problems (erosion, vandalism, etc.) then they can be moved or removed. The managers appreciate that consideration. Second, I ask the manager where she would/would not like a cache to go. They may want to attract more visitors to a corner of the park that is overlooked. Or they may want to protect a species of rare plant or an important archeological site. I placed them such that seekers could stay on established paths for MOST of the search, but I also confirmed that off-trail hiking is permitted. In my case, I showed the park manager where I had hidden the caches so she (and her crew) would know where they were. She loved that. Finally, I promised to visit my caches regularly to check on them, check on the trash around the site, check on erosion and such. (I also put trash bags in the cache so seekers could pick up trash on their way out.)

The man who hid the Santa Fe Trail caches here in KC got permission in advance, then he started showing the log books to the parks people. They LOVED it. People said they never knew the park was there, but now they'll visit all of the time. Another man read in the paper about a park in KC that was rarely visited (Rosedale Arch). He got permission to place a cache there and asked visitors to pick up trash. If they did, he gave them coordinates to a secret cache with nice goodies in it. The park has gotten to the point where it is hard to find any trash to pick up. Everyone wins.

A man south of KC has a farm, and he's placed one or two on his personal property. This might be a solution for you.

Or you could consider some virtual caches that lead people to sites but that have no cache boxes.

I don't recommend it, but the fact is that some cowboys are going to place caches in your area without permission sooner or later. You could point this out and suggest the park manager work with you to get a cache in place before a cowboy cache arrives. Your cache would innoculate the park from further caches. You'd have to approach the point in some diplomatic way so it doesn't sound like a threat.

I've never done this, but maybe it would work for you: get the local merchants involved. Have them donate coupons (for free ice cream, discount on oil change, whatever) that go in the cache box. If that would attract out-of-towners to the local economy, you would suddenly have some very strong supporters on your side. In fact, I'm surprised that there aren't bed and breakfast places or small towns that don't establish geocache adventures. Low cost, high-tech attraction that tends to draw an upscale crowd. Maybe you could organize something like that. (The fact is, I'm unlikely to drive all the way to St. Joe to find only one cache. But if your town had 5 or 6, I'd make a day of it. That includes meals, gas, snacks, and other ways I could spend $$$ in the local economy.)

I think MOST caches are placed without permission. And sooner or later, that is going to hurt the sport. I won't place a cache if I can't get permission. But I know how much it bugs to get denied. I just keep trying.

Good luck. I'll keep my eye open for your postings.

Paul Lamble

Guest rynokc

Dear G1B, I am planning on putting one in Weston at the Park there. Hope that helps..... I will try to let you know when I do.... Ryan and Rhonda

Guest Todd Svec

greeing with Paul on getting permission. I think there's a time and place for permission to be asked, and don't think that all caches should be approved by an overseer. Public parks, or parks paid for by our tax money, I feel, are ours to enjoy. Now, that means enjoy them for what they are, doesn't give me the right to land a 747 there, but I should be able to hike, bike, picnic, throw the frisbee, watch wildlife, enjoy the scenery and geocache! Permission is a funny thing. Obviously, since we sometimes get permission and sometimes get denied, there's disagreement on whether the whole activity is good or bad, and that's simply someone's opinion. Why did the city of Mission tell me no? Because (one reason) it might bring too much traffic. Why did Wyandotte County Parks tell me yes? Because it would bring more traffic! Ah, so what I'm saying is there's no one answer. I've tried the permission route and have learned that I'll get different answers. I think you have to look at the location, how well it's known and how you are going to advertise it. Having caches in the Arboretum and Santa Fe Trails, with permission and cooperation, is a great thing. I think too, that having unapproved caches in small parks are a good thing too. This activity has done more good than harm, I'm sure most of you'll agree.

Alternatives: Paul has some good ideas. Virtual caches are not as fun to many as a physical one, but they can be enjoyable just the same! Another idea would be to get to know someone with some property. Surely you know someone who owns an area where a cache could be possible!

Guest Todd Svec

I wanted to comment about getting small businesses involved: Months ago, when we were all struggling with the limited number of local caches, I started up a list of types of caches I wanted to create. One of them was (and still is, it's in my truck) a dog-themed one. Right off, this was a great exercise for the dogs. Not every cache, but many were very suitable for the pups, good exercise and gets them out, which they love. We also have met many local geocachers that too are families of mutts, I'd gamble to say that for awhile, there were more pets than kids. Anyway, back to the story. I thought one good way to fill the cache would be to get involvement from local pet supply stores, vets, groomers and other related companies. I wrote a very nice letter, explained geocaching, what I was planning on doing, and asked for ANY small trinket or goodie that they could provide, nothing too small. We hand signed and hand addressed over 40 letters, thinking that the $20 invested in stamps would pay for itself with the 10 or 15 responses I'd receive. Within a week, I got my first response, from all places, the Humane Society, which is funny because a friend gave me a hard time for asking a charity for charity. They provided a nice letter, dog tags, a bow, some treats and a few brochures. Cool! Then time passes. Nothing. I was particularly disappointed in the local Mission pet places, especially when overheard the owner of one complaining to his daughter about his new Mercedes. More time passes, WEEKS! Ah, something else.... Anyway, to make a long post shorter, the only other items I received was a $5 gift certificate (they'll get MY business), a very inexpensive dog chew from a place in Blue Springs, and one letter from a local company telling me "Sorry, I didn't meet their guidelines for a donation". I was asking for flipping magnets?!?!?!?!!! (Sheesh). At least they replied. Oh, and that place, by the way, used to get about $500 in business a year from me.

So there's my experience with getting businesses involved! I guess I got a 10% response, but I was still disappointed. This world is funny.

Oh, and in case you're wondering why it hasn't been placed yet, well, first off, I'm real anal on the location, who would have guessed. Second, I intended to try and find an off leash swimming area where I could place it. Guess what? It's more acceptable to have a filthy-diaper-needing-changed 1 year old swimming in a beach area than it is to have my pup swim ANYWHERE in most parks in most places. God forbid I offend someone by letting Amber take a dip in a remote corner where no one else is around. Even on a leash, THAT is against the rules!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Todd Svec (edited 17 July 2001).]

Guest Todd Svec

Probably! And I was yelling. HA!

No offense meant on the Mercedes Benz, It could have been ANY high priced vehicle, which was were I was trying to make the coorelation.

Guest chrome

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Svec:

Designating a cache for kids is often done, but many adults seek them out for the feather in the cap, and leave a kiddy toy to boot. Tough to prohibit adults from finding it period, and really, would you want that? Most kids that I've seen aren't the ones using the GPS, it's been the adults, with kids along for the ride!

I've done it... Ultra Mega Kid Kache #3. There are 7 caches to get to the real cache. Each cache location coordinates are gained by correctly answering the questions found at each cache. So far 4 people or groups of people have tried to find it, only 2 have. All have indicated to me that there was no way they could have done it without the kids there. So it did work, and it has kept the adults out. One of the two who found it was an adult but was nice enough to take nothing, leaving the stuff for the next kids to find it. That's what I was hoping would happen with this cache. So if you want to get the kids involved, this is a great opportunity.

As far as kids working the GPS, Dakota has become very proficient with the GPS and is now my official naviguessor.

[This message has been edited by chrome (edited 23 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by chrome (edited 23 July 2001).]