KC Area Geocachers - II

Guest Paul Lamble

Guest tecmage

Hi Everyone,

Tracy and myself were down in KC this weekend and had a blast! We will be back soon and hope to find a few more caches. Thanks for embracing Geocaching.

Richard and Tracy

Guest Todd Svec

Glad we're getting some out of town visitors to geocache! Since the site doesn't allow for lookup of a user & their activity, can you share which ones you searched & found? I understand from the logs that you looked for the Santa Fe Trails ones and came up empty, if you haven't read yet, they appear to have been stolen.

Guest guerroloco

It's a shame about the SF trail caches. I really liked those because of the historical connection -- the information they contained as well as the significant locations, often with visible swales nearby (esp. the one in Minor Park). My own preference is to place (and find) caches in significant locations, and use them to learn something, get a nice view or connect with a place or time -- not just as a way to justify the expense of a GPS receiver! The Santa Fe Trail caches were excellent examples of this philosophy, and also apparently served as "good will ambassadors" for the game to gov't types.

Guest tecmage

Hey Todd,

We tried to visit Santa Fe 1,2, and 3. Got to Geocache by Steve Brown, Aviary at Arboretum, and Paul and Libby's three at the Arboretum. We're only 3.5 hours away, so we are planning to return- especially after the Santa Fe caches are replaced. We're also planning to go to Columbia soon. icon_biggrin.gif

Besides Tracy and myself, there's only one other person in central Iowa placing caches. The upside to that is we have six caches in a 40 mile radius. We are planning a few more. For folks wanting to roadtrip, you can have some variety in cache locations in an area that's easy to get around in.

Richard

Guest tecmage

Hey Todd,

We tried to visit Santa Fe 1,2, and 3. Got to Geocache by Steve Brown, Aviary at Arboretum, and Paul and Libby's three at the Arboretum. We're only 3.5 hours away, so we are planning to return- especially after the Santa Fe caches are replaced. We're also planning to go to Columbia soon. icon_biggrin.gif

Besides Tracy and myself, there's only one other person in central Iowa placing caches. The upside to that is we have six caches in a 40 mile radius. We are planning a few more. For folks wanting to roadtrip, you can have some variety in cache locations in an area that's easy to get around in.

Richard

Guest trilobites

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the kind words re: the Santa Fe Trail geocaches. For those who care, please email Mr. John Conoboy at the National Park Service (John_Conoboy@nps.gov) and tell him your thoughts re the Santa Fe Trail geocaches. Especially those whom are out of town or out of state. Your comments are important and John is a guarded, but open-minded friend of the caches thus far. In fact, he emailed me today asking what happened to the caches. Maybe He'll help us relocate them. He's obviously been reading the logged comments.

Thanks guys.

P.S.

Heard back from Garmin today and they will "try" and send a rep over to our picnic on July 22nd. I'll continue to pump them.

Later

Guest Liz Austin

Hi everyone,

My story finally has a run date! Look for it Saturday, June 9 on the cover of FYI. Thank you so so so much for all your help and your patience.

Guest Steve McGinnis

I also will help replace the S.F. Trail caches. Just let me know what is needed.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Todd Svec

quote:
Originally posted by Liz Austin:

Hi everyone,

My story finally has a run date! Look for it Saturday, June 9 on the cover of FYI. Thank you so so so much for all your help and your patience.

COOL!!!!

Guest Todd Svec

Well, I have to admit I'm very Very VERY (did I say VERY?) excited!! After my experience with the City of Mission, I didn't really want to ask permission from anyone again, but the responsible side of me did. Today, not only did I get a blessing to place a cache in a local historic park, but was pretty much given an open invitation to place caches in *ANY* of the Wyandotte County Parks, following a few guidelines and keeping them in the loop of course. The Parks & Recs Director was not only understanding, but interested and supportive of the whole idea. Look for some good ones coming to KCK soon!

Guest Todd Svec

Small survey: Now that we're getting more "mature" with caches, what is it that you'd like to see that would make a cache more interesting to you? Mental challenge? Physical challenge? Complexity? Cache content? Location? Originality? I'm scheming, if you can't tell, and forecast that many of my future caches will be a little different. What do YOU think?

Guest Steve McGinnis

s I just about give up on. Then I sit down and re-evaluate, and think, and then figure out what the hidder was thinking and then I usually can find it.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Paul Lamble

Well, I have to say the most fun I've had finding a cache was the Katy Trail 174 cache. (Steve will know about this one.) That was physically challenging, a very interesting setting, and cleverly hidden. Took me a long time to find it too. Of course, Rowdy's right-under-your-nose-all-along cache was a lot of fun too.

I like the idea of multistage caches, as long as they have some reason for the stages. Each stage provides a clue. Each stage takes me to an interesting spot or vista. I wouldn't want to visit multi stages simply because they are there.

I like the idea of the historic perspective of the Santa Fe Trail caches (long may they live!).

I'm not after physical danger, but some rigor and effort makes the journey as much fun as the destination.

I get a lot of posts about my Arboretum caches saying there were so many possible hiding places that they had to poke around in each one. A target-rich environment is fun.

I like the idea of a series of caches that would take the seeker around a park or site, kind of like the Arboretum caches. Plus it allows you to accumulate a lot of hits with just one visit.

I'll probably regret all of this when Todd places his caches in impossible places.

Paul Lamble

Guest rynokc

Todd, I have spoken to the dir. of parks again. He said have at it, so I guess I will and see how many if any go for it. I will let you know if you can walk to it like I think that you can. Ryan and Rhonda.

Also, for what it is worth; I would love to contribute to the replacement of the SFT caches.

Guest Paul Lamble

Hi Gang,

After several repeated emails from those who care, here is the address for the person in charge at the Arboretum, in case you enjoyed the caches there:

Ruth Doherty

Overland Park Dept. of Parks and Rec

8500 Santa Fe Dr

Overland Park, KS 66212

She is very supportive of the caches, so anything that would help reimforce this would be good for the sport.

Paul Lamble

Guest Todd Svec

quote:
Originally posted by rynokc:

Todd, I have spoken to the dir. of parks again. He said have at it, so I guess I will and see how many if any go for it. I will let you know if you can walk to it like I think that you can. Ryan and Rhonda.

Also, for what it is worth; I would love to contribute to the replacement of the SFT caches.

I assume you're talking about the one that you might have to swim to in higher water? Way cool! Go for it!

Guest Todd Svec

The whole sport is interesting, because it's what you make of it. Ask anyone who knows me (especially Tracy) and they'll tell you I can be VERY picky. Right now, I have 7 caches planned in my mind, and some are as complete as having it all typed up and the cache ready, just haven't placed it yet because I haven't found the right location. I know, I hear a few of you saying "COME ON - WE NEED MORE KC CACHES", well, I'm trying!! Anyway: Above all, I prefer a cache with a cool, different, unknown or historic location. I also like the puzzle varities, but we have only the KU one around here, and since it's a drive away, and apparently could take some hours, I'm waiting for a free weekend day to take the bikes and go. Looking forward to creating one of my own, and will combine it with a little physical challenge too. Though cache content isn't important to many, I feel it's a good part of the game, a nice treasure that you can take with you at the end. I *love* the brochures people leave on the area like the Santa Fe stuff and some others we've found. So, here I go rambling like I love to do sometimes. Hopefully after this week, things will slow down enough so that I can get out there and make some excitement.

Guest Todd Svec

Some Statistics:

Date Number of Caches placed in KC Area

Year 2000-------2

Jan 2001--------1

Feb 2001--------3

Mar 2001--------6

Apr 2001 ------12

May 2001--------6

Jun 2001 -------0

So, a chart would look kinda like this:

- - - * - -

- - - * - -

- - - * - -

- - * * * -

^ * * * * -

J F M A M J

We gotta get busy! I don't like the trend!

(Data pulled from 66202 zip and does not include picnic)

[This message has been edited by Todd Svec (edited 03 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Todd Svec (edited 03 June 2001).]

Guest rynokc

I am currently working on a multi-cache at a location North of the river. I have 3 locations picked out. You would need to drive from #1 to #2, then back to #3, from there you can walk (or ride a bike) to #4. Ryan and Rhonda

Guest Steve McGinnis

I see they have the APE project in New York City now. Would be really nice if they would place one about 90 miles south of KC .

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Todd Svec

Hi ya'll! I've been kinda quiet this week as the City of Mission was having it's city wide garage sale, and I had a LOT of junk to get ready to get rid of! That, and this is Dog & Jog weekend. Hopefully, I'm slowed down now, cause I have CACHES to hide!

Guest rynokc

This is for Paul Lamble. I was not sure if you saw one of your caches was found this weekend and the persons left a lighter, and food. I presume that they didn't read all of the web page since it says not to leave this type of items. Oh well, just thought I would let you know. See you at the "Gathering". Ryan and Rhonda

Guest Paul Lamble

Yep, I saw that message. The ironic thing is that I had visited the cache an hour or two before just to check on its status and add a few goodies. If I had waited a day, I would have been able to take care of the unfortunate contributions (probably not too bad--but I'll go after them this weekend), but I wanted everything to be in order for the flood of new geocachers after Saturday's article.

Also, did you notice that someone logged my other two caches there to say he couldn't find them but still counted it as a find?

Oh well. Still better to have new blood in the local sport. I'm looking forward to some new caches. I think I have a pretty cool one in the works.

PL

Guest chrome

If you look at my new cache post (Ancient Octopus' Garden) you will see that I prefer a trivia based clue selection to help guide the hunter towards the cache. It was a blast making up the clues. I personally wouldn't mind the physical ones, but I can tell you that my kids have helped hide ours, and search for the ones we've looked for. Therefore as a family event, the physically demanding ones are out of the question. And then there are the two at Shawnee Mission park... Do you have any idea of the health hazards of tick bites? I think there are plenty of places caches could be hidden in this vast park that would not pose this danger to myself and kids. Unfortunately these two caches that are nearly in my back yard will never be sought after or found by my family. I was thinking about a kid-Kache that would use directional clues based on cartoons, Nickelodian, etc., and fill the container with kid related stuff. However I'm not sure how I'd request that adults not look for it. Any ideas? And one more thing as a newbie... What the #$%^ is up with the city of Mission? Oh my - we can't have NEW people come to our parks and discover the beauty of Mission! Talk about isolationists! Who is the Mayor there, Pat Buchanan? icon_smile.gif

- Wesley

Guest chrome

If you look at my new cache post (Ancient Octopus' Garden) you will see that I prefer a trivia based clue selection to help guide the hunter towards the cache. It was a blast making up the clues. I personally wouldn't mind the physical ones, but I can tell you that my kids have helped hide ours, and search for the ones we've looked for. Therefore as a family event, the physically demanding ones are out of the question. And then there are the two at Shawnee Mission park... Do you have any idea of the health hazards of tick bites? I think there are plenty of places caches could be hidden in this vast park that would not pose this danger to myself and kids. Unfortunately these two caches that are nearly in my back yard will never be sought after or found by my family. I was thinking about a kid-Kache that would use directional clues based on cartoons, Nickelodian, etc., and fill the container with kid related stuff. However I'm not sure how I'd request that adults not look for it. Any ideas? And one more thing as a newbie... What the #$%^ is up with the city of Mission? Oh my - we can't have NEW people come to our parks and discover the beauty of Mission! Talk about isolationists! Who is the Mayor there, Pat Buchanan? icon_smile.gif

- Wesley

Guest Todd Svec

Designating a cache for kids is often done, but many adults seek them out for the feather in the cap, and leave a kiddy toy to boot. Tough to prohibit adults from finding it period, and really, would you want that? Most kids that I've seen aren't the ones using the GPS, it's been the adults, with kids along for the ride! Having the clues based on NICK would certainly make it harder for the adults, I for one don't watch it.

From the recent log of the SMP ones, yeah, ticks are rampant. They weren't too bad earlier in the year when it was cold, which is when Tracy prefers caching (and why my score is up).

Mission doesn't understand. When the KCStar talked to them, "digging holes all over the place" came up. Oops: wrong impression. Hopefully, the article helped out, and with the permission I've received from the Wyandotte Parks, it won't be a trend. The mayor here is Sylvester Powell, and I'm REALLY disappointed in his opinion & decision of support for this sport.

The Octopus cache looks interesting!

[This message has been edited by Todd Svec (edited 13 June 2001).]

Guest Steve McGinnis

All you newbies, be sure and let Todd know if you are going to attend the KC Geocachers Picnic. He is kind of running it, and keeping track of who is bringing what and the like. I hope all the newbies will be able to make it. It should be a fun time.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Todd Svec

Well, what a day. With full intention of placing two caches today, and listing the third one I placed on Monday, I got rained out. I waited, and waited, but the rain held me. anyway, since I FULLY intend it to be sunny and nice tomorrow, I'm going ahead and listing 2 of them since it doesn't matter yet where #2 is (makes more sense if you read it....

Todd

Guest Paul Lamble

Those of you who have collected trash at the Rosedale Arch site and reported it to Todd should get the coordinates to the Bonus Cache. By all means, you should go seek this cache.

I think it is geocaching at the purest. All you get are the coordinates. No hints, no maps. You head out with nothing to guide you but your GPS. This is good stuff.

I will probably do this for any future caches I place. Just coordinates. No extras. No giveaway details. Just pure hunting.

Paul Lamble

Guest Steve McGinnis

I usually try not to use the hints or even the driving direction,(which, I understand you can get from MapQuest). I try to find them with just the coordinates. However, some people put coordinates where the thing they want you to see is, then you go to the hint, (after searching all over the place), just to find that the cache is really some where else. I placed one of mine, in Texas, with no hints, just coordinates, (actually I encrypted a sentence that said, "Sorry, this is not a hint. I just think these are so much fun to decrypt. Good Luck"), but people couldn't find it, and thought it was taken. So I added hints, since I don't live there, and had no way to go and see if it was really there or not. GC 923 is the waypoint.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Todd Svec

Pretty quiet around here lately. Here's what new in the past month or so:

1. Lotsa new caches! We've got the two by icon_smile.gif

3. Unfortunately, the Troll cache has been taken. icon_biggrin.gif

5. The article was a big success, and we now have a slew of new geocachers, some that are very active! cool.gif

6. I have discovered that these smilies are neat tongue.gif

Todd

Guest Todd Svec

Pretty quiet around here lately. Here's what new in the past month or so:

1. Lotsa new caches! We've got the two by icon_smile.gif

3. Unfortunately, the Troll cache has been taken. icon_biggrin.gif

5. The article was a big success, and we now have a slew of new geocachers, some that are very active! cool.gif

6. I have discovered that these smilies are neat tongue.gif

Todd

Guest Todd Svec

Yeah right! So, I got an email from a lady asking me about GPS units, and she said something kinda funny. She wanted to know if the picnic was TRULY open to anyone, cause "they were new to this hobby". And I'm like LADY, we're ALL NEW! Struck me as funny.

Guest tecmage

Hi all,

Since there are some new caches in the area, (and the return of the Santa Fe Trail Caches), Tracyu and myself are planning another trip down.

Richard and Tracy

Guest Paul Lamble

Richard and Tracy,

Come this fall, I'm hoping to place a cache someone around Lamoni. You're probably familiar with that exit. My daughter is going to college there, so I'll be loading my truck with her things and hauling her up there next month.

A pleasant break in your trek to KC?

Paul Lamble