Wherigo Foundation: Windows Phone Player development thread

Mangatome

Beta is now closed.

I expect to release Geowigo publicly before the end of May.

Stay tuned here for updates.

Thank you.

Anything new to report?

Hi. Basically, bugs have been delaying the release. We're still days from the app getting public however.

Whatever happens, the app will be out at latest on June 12th. But I'm trying to make it earlier than that.

Hello!

I'm a new member in this forum, so sorry if I've some stupid questions. I've a Lumia 930 and would like to use the Geowigo App. Is it possible to take part of the Beta project?

Best regards

jungeslemgo

Hi. Beta is closed. Stay tuned for imminent release. Thank you.

Hi, Is it also possible to Download your savegame files (.gws) from the Windows 10 phone? I couldn't find them.

Kind Regards

Hi. Currently the only way is to link the app to OneDrive. In settings, if "upload savegames and logs" is checked, savegames will be uploaded to OneDrive.

I see how an export feature would be useful, though, so I'll add that to the backlog for a future version.

Thanks.

Geowigo is released - Version 1.0.29

Starting today, Geowigo is available for free on the Windows Store right here: Geowigo on Windows Store

This new version includes some minor bug fixes and removes the long lasting beta message.

Thanks to the 700+ beta testers who joined in the past three years.

And huge thanks to my partner in crime, Charlenni :)

Long live Wherigo!

Edited by Mangatome

Geowigo is released - Version 1.0.29

Starting today, Geowigo is available for free on the Windows Store right here: Geowigo on Windows Store

This new version includes some minor bug fixes and removes the long lasting beta message.

Thanks to the 700+ beta testers who joined in the past three years.

And huge thanks to my partner in crime, Charlenni :)

Long live Wherigo!

Sweet!!! Congratulations! It has been a pleasure beta testing this with you. Thanks so much for bringing us WP users a great Wherigo app!

Will you be putting out a paid app in the future?

Sweet!!! Congratulations! It has been a pleasure beta testing this with you. Thanks so much for bringing us WP users a great Wherigo app!

Will you be putting out a paid app in the future?

Thank you!

I don't really know. Some users asked for means to donate, and that would be really cool.

I'm wondering what would be the best way. I'm open to everyone's suggestions and thoughts!

Hi and thanks for this player. I have used it a few times and it works great.

I like the map which shows my current position and the zone you are going to, but when the zone is far away, the zone get so small it is impossible to see in the map. A solution to that could be drawing a line between current position and the center of the zone.

Hello

First I want to say "Thank you" for the Wherigo App!

But I want to criticize something.

1. Please make an another Design. More Windows 10 Mobile-like. This Design ist more Windows8-like, yet. I think ......

2. Please make a Function to load the GWC Files directly with USB to the Smartphone and not over OneDrive.

Thats my Points for today. Thank you!

Greats

derGunnar

I tried to play a locationless cache and found a bug .The app crashed during the start .I checked today with my old Android app and had no problems .The windowsphone app ended at the choice of the location . The Cache is https://coord.info/GC677B5 (Phone Lumia 920). All the other Wereigo´s I played worked perfect . Thank you for your work and greetings from Trier

Thanks for the report, I'll look into it.

I like the map which shows my current position and the zone you are going to, but when the zone is far away, the zone get so small it is impossible to see in the map. A solution to that could be drawing a line between current position and the center of the zone.

Right, that works for cartridges with one zone. But some cartridges feature many zones, so it can't be that simple. I'll think about it, thanks.

1. Please make an another Design. More Windows 10 Mobile-like. This Design ist more Windows8-like, yet. I think ......

2. Please make a Function to load the GWC Files directly with USB to the Smartphone and not over OneDrive.

1. will have to wait until I own a W10 phone, but 2. is already possible with the app! Just load a GWC file and tap on it in the files explorer...

Doesn't it work?

Version 1.0.31

When Geowigo released to the public some weeks ago, several users asked me how to donate to support the app's development. (Thanks!)

In the same time, I got many bug report e-mails from users with little description of the problems they faced, leading to delays in solving the problem in one case.

To address both of these questions, this version introduces a new "get support" page from where users can now report problems or ask for help.

mini_263070Capture2.png mini_471745Capture.png

Choosing to send an e-mail now leads to a quick form to fill out, that will help me identifying the problems more easily.

Furthermore, from this screen, users can choose to support the app's development by purchasing an "in-app content" from the Windows Store.

The app advertises this as "custom help", but what it means is that, as a thank you to contributing users, I will prioritize helping them if it happens that I get too many support questions at the same time.

This optional "custom help" thing is and will be the only paying thing in the app, and it does not grant users any additional feature over others. I've tried to make it fair: there won't be message boxes or any other intrusive way to advertise for this. It's just a way to say thanks to supporting users. :)

Although I personally strongly dislike in-app purchases, and I don't think most people are generally keen on paying for stuff on app stores, some users told me it would be preferable for them to donate this way. I wish Microsoft would allow users to name their price for in-app content. But they don't, therefore users who would like to donate a different amount will have to do so via Paypal. Send me a message for details.

On another note, this version introduces several more privacy settings, namely about managing the GWL log files that are generated during play. (You can also turn that off now.)

And a bug that prevented users from unlinking OneDrive is now fixed in this version.

Thanks!

Hello, today I bought the phone Lumia 620 (Widows 8). I dowloaded application Geowigo, but the maps are not working offline. How to make it work? The phone automatically downloaded HERE Maps - offline maps. These maps work in all applications during off Wifi. Only in Gowigo not. There is loaded small area and I do not know where it will run Wherigo, so I can not zoom in the map to download a piece by piece. Can you help? I do not have a mobile data. I need to work offline map.

I am sorry for my bad English.

Hello, today I bought the phone Lumia 620 (Widows 8). I dowloaded application Geowigo, but the maps are not working offline. How to make it work? The phone automatically downloaded HERE Maps - offline maps. These maps work in all applications during off Wifi. Only in Gowigo not. There is loaded small area and I do not know where it will run Wherigo, so I can not zoom in the map to download a piece by piece. Can you help? I do not have a mobile data. I need to work offline map.

I am sorry for my bad English.

Hi. You will need to upgrade your phone to Windows Phone 8.1 before you can use offline maps in Geowigo.

Once your phone runs 8.1, a newer version of Geowigo will be downloaded, that supports offline maps.

Thank you for a good experience. I have two hand held GPS units, (Delorme PN-60 and Garmin Oregon 600), neither of which are compatible with Wherigo, so I have not bothered to look for this type unless I happened to be with someone else who had the capability. After discovering this app, I gave the type another chance. I had a great experience with my first attempt in a cemetery in Ft. Wayne. At least someone thinks the Windows Phone is worthy of a geocaching app.

Thank you so much for doing an app for this type of cache! Us WP users had been left in the dark for so long. It seemed to me that this type of cache was excluding people who didn't have the proper unit or smartphone, very elitist if you ask me. I just did my first Wherigo today and it was so easy! I had downloaded the cartridge* to my OneDrive and went to the nearby park that has a Wherigo. When I got to the park I was dismayed that the locations all said 9000+ km away! Fortunately, the GPS kicked in and I found all 4 locations easily enough and got to the final. Is there a way to change from km/m to yards/feet?

*Personally, I don't like the name cartridge as it reminds me of a physical attachment to your GPS. Maybe they could have called it a GameFile.

Thank you for a good experience. I have two hand held GPS units, (Delorme PN-60 and Garmin Oregon 600), neither of which are compatible with Wherigo, so I have not bothered to look for this type unless I happened to be with someone else who had the capability. After discovering this app, I gave the type another chance. I had a great experience with my first attempt in a cemetery in Ft. Wayne. At least someone thinks the Windows Phone is worthy of a geocaching app.

Thank you, glad you enjoy it!

Is there a way to change from km/m to yards/feet?

Not yet, I'll add it to the list of things to do! Thanks

Version 1.0.32

This version fixes many problems that were reported by users, most of which related to savegames.

Also, you can now quick save during a game! It's gotten also easier to delete savegames from the menu, and you can now also copy savegames somewhere else to your phone if you need to.

Version 1.0.33

Initially intended as a hotfix for a crash that was introduced in version 1.0.32, this version also improves a little bit the experience of linking the app to OneDrive.

Edit Aug 22th 10am CEST: I'm aware of an issue that prevents makes the app stuck in its splash screen. I'm investigating right now.

Edit Aug 22th 11am CEST: A patch is uploaded, which should resolve this issue. It should be deployed on all devices in the next 16-24 hours.

Edited by Mangatome

Hi Mangatome,

nothing is missing or need be fixed. App is stable on my W10M and Lumia 735 - worked perfectly on latest played cartridges. It was just question, because my (and maybe your) favourite WP/W10M system is going to be killed by Microfost itself.

Have a nice days.

Dejwy

Hi!

I still don't own a W10P, so I can't really make anything happen yet.

That being said, what would you say is missing or should be fixed on W10 specifically?

Hi Mangatome,

nothing is missing or need be fixed. App is stable on my W10M and Lumia 735 - worked perfectly on latest played cartridges. It was just question, because my (and maybe your) favourite WP/W10M system is going to be killed by Microfost itself.

Have a nice days.

Dejwy

As far as I know, the longer-term plan is to make a Wherigo Foundation universal app for all Windows 10 devices.

From what I read, even though the brand Windows Phone is coming to an end, there will still be smart devices running Windows, so it's a platform we have to keep supporting.

However, when this will happen is unclear as of today...

I added a 22 MB cartridge to my One-Drive and started the sync on my Windows Phone. 29 cartridges (up to 10.5 MB) were syncronized, but this big one, not! I tried it with my WiFi at home, at work and LTE, but no way: This big cartridge can not be synced. Is there a way to copy this one directly on the phone? Is it a known problem?

I added a 22 MB cartridge to my One-Drive and started the sync on my Windows Phone. 29 cartridges (up to 10.5 MB) were syncronized, but this big one, not! I tried it with my WiFi at home, at work and LTE, but no way: This big cartridge can not be synced. Is there a way to copy this one directly on the phone? Is it a known problem?

Hi! I'm not surprised this happens for large cartridges: I have encountered many OneDrive failures during development.

Fortunately there are two workarounds you need to know:

1. You can directly copy the cartridge to your phone's internal storage (or SD card), and just open the file using the Files explorer app. When you open a cartridge like this, Geowigo starts and opens the cartridge.

2. Maybe less relevant for large files, but still good to know, you can also receive cartridges in e-mails: just tap on the attachment and Geowigo will start and open the cartridge.

Version 1.0.36

Just in time for European summer holidays, here's a new update to Geowigo!

This update fixes a game breaking bug reported by dejwy, thanks to him, and adds support for imperial units, which was a long-asked feature.

You can switch between metric or imperial units in the settings of the app.

Have a great summer!

Windows 10 Mobile 10.0.15240.0

Geowigo 1.0.36.0

Hi Mangatome,

I had a problem with the newest Version of Geowigo:

Configurating OneDrive-Sync results in whitescreen. After minutes I become a "This page can't be displayed"-error.

Tested with WLAN and mobile Internet. Thanks for Support!

On 14/08/2017 at 10:41 AM, Mangatome said:

Hi! I've had multiple reports of users facing this problem in the past days. I will investigate this issue this coming week.

Users are reporting today that this problem seems to be solved. Please try again and let me know if it is not.