Wherigo Foundation: Windows Phone Player development thread

Mangatome

As chance would have it I am returning to Vienna next week after being there for one night in May. I have a save game of a cartridge I started but could not finish due to gps issues, now I am armed with a new phone so would like to pick up where I left off. Is there any way I can retrieve my saved game from one drive back into the app?

I assume, that you want to play "I love Vienna". If this is correct, your savegame wouldn't work, because the Engine has a problem with this cartridge and saving. We are working on this.

Well, I would like to but was actually referring to http://coord.info/GC36V16 . I started this one in May but my phone (Nokia Lumia 920) was two years old at the gps accuracy was pretty much gone so after the first two zones I saved and gave up (it was late and raining and I had a train to catch). Whilst there I did try "I love Vienna" but if I remember correctly there was an issue with characters displaying correctly. If I get a chance I will give it a go using an old Android phone that work are lending me to see if it runs well on that.

As chance would have it I am returning to Vienna next week after being there for one night in May. I have a save game of a cartridge I started but could not finish due to gps issues, now I am armed with a new phone so would like to pick up where I left off. Is there any way I can retrieve my saved game from one drive back into the app?

If you create a folder called Uploads in your OneDrive's Geowigo folder, and then start the app on your old phone, the app will upload your savegames to this place.

Then you just have to move the savegames you need to the parent folder, "Geowigo".

They will be downloaded alongside the cartridge files when you run the app on your new phone.

Hi,

I would like to be added to the list of testers for the app "Geowigo".

Without the consent I can not download them.

Where should I apply for?

Thanks.

Please send me a private message with your phone's Microsoft account e-mail address.

This will allow me to add you to the list.

I'm attending an event next weekend, where Wherigo is a part. Unfortunately, I haven't still gotten an invite despite several email, last one only a week ago, so I guess Iäm out of luck for this app. However, does anyone know if there are any other apps for Win Mobile 8.1 (Lumia 930) that can handle Wherigo-cartridges?

I'm attending an event next weekend, where Wherigo is a part. Unfortunately, I haven't still gotten an invite despite several email, last one only a week ago, so I guess Iäm out of luck for this app. However, does anyone know if there are any other apps for Win Mobile 8.1 (Lumia 930) that can handle Wherigo-cartridges?

There aren't.

Sorry you slipped right through the net.

I'll process a batch and send invites right away.

If you create a folder called Uploads in your OneDrive's Geowigo folder, and then start the app on your old phone, the app will upload your savegames to this place.

Then you just have to move the savegames you need to the parent folder, "Geowigo".

They will be downloaded alongside the cartridge files when you run the app on your new phone.

Thanks, I will use this in the future :) In the end I took a borrowed Android phone with me and did 'I Love Vienna' using Whereyougo without any issues, the other one I had previously saved I just started again (I'd only done one zone and it was close to another cache) but had to give up anyway after about an hour's play when I couldn't find a hidden zone...

There aren't.

Thanks much! Installed ok. Will run the tutorial over the week and the Antequera one over the weekend... :-)

If I understood correctly it's the Pocket PC versions that are the right ones for dl?

There aren't.

Thanks much! Installed ok. Will run the tutorial over the week and the Antequera one over the weekend... :-)

If I understood correctly it's the Pocket PC versions that are the right ones for dl?

Silly question maybe, but while running the Wherigo tutorial, one task is to go to a 'You See' tab. I don't see this. Does it only appear at that point or is it renamed something else in this version of the player? Is it a 'default' tab or a cartridge-dependent one? I mean, can I as a builder of cartridges create new tabs? I must admit, I haven't read much up on the subject until now....

Normally you have 4 lists: Locations, You see, Inventory and Tasks. The first contains all visible zones. The second all items and characters you could see around you. The third shows all items and characters that you carry with you. The last shows all task, you have. You couldn't create new lists. Some players put Locations and You see together in one list.

Normally you have 4 lists: Locations, You see, Inventory and Tasks. The first contains all visible zones. The second all items and characters you could see around you. The third shows all items and characters that you carry with you. The last shows all task, you have. You couldn't create new lists. Some players put Locations and You see together in one list.

Ah, ok, so these are equivalent to Overview, World, Inventory and Tasks in the WP app. So when the cartridge refers to 'You see', it actually should refer to 'World'?

Ok, got it. Many thanks!!!

I had no problems to install Geowigo on my new Lumia 950xl two weeks ago and to fix the connection with onedrive. Sadly I hadn't enough time since then to play a Wherigo.

Maybe i made a mistake?

I enabled developer mode, downloaded the xap file and started it using my file explorer.

I use a lumia 950xl with stock rom, no insider preview

I had no problems to install Geowigo on my new Lumia 950xl two weeks ago and to fix the connection with onedrive. Sadly I hadn't enough time since then to play a Wherigo.

Maybe i made a mistake?

I enabled developer mode, downloaded the xap file and started it using my file explorer.

Maybe Win10 doesn't run XAPs? Send me your live ID and I'll invite you to get the app from the store.

That should work out.

Maybe i made a mistake?

Maybe Win10 doesn't run XAPs? Send me your live ID and I'll invite you to get the app from the store.

That should work out.

Thx... You got a message

I wanted to update you on my latest Geowigo adventure. I completed this cache: http://coord.info/GC5QPMJ with the following cartridge: http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/download.aspx?CGUID=cd45c7b3-29f0-4a1d-82e1-8e5925b91a34

There had been several people complaining that they had issues with the cartridge but just to inform you it played perfectly. The zones worked, inventory worked, sounds worked, it all was a great experience! I will continue my use of it.

Thanks for bringing a Wherigo app to Windows phone!!!

Hi - I have a problem With getting the cartridges and i realize that this probably isn't the right forum as the problem is getting the Isostorespy to work. I've tried to Google on the topic and am only getting more confused .. i'm unsure if i need to download Isostorespy to the PC or the Windows Phone.. if the Isostorespy have a problem working With Windows 10 and what to do abouat that - in addition i've found post telling me that i need a Developer unlocked phone in order to get Isostorespy to work. I'm probbaly getting my topic mixed up With something else and getting the wrong answers.. anybody know a forum that could give me the relevant answers?

I have upgraded to Windows 10 on my PC and have Windows 8,1 update 2 on the phone.

Hi - I have a problem With getting the cartridges and i realize that this probably isn't the right forum as the problem is getting the Isostorespy to work. I've tried to Google on the topic and am only getting more confused .. i'm unsure if i need to download Isostorespy to the PC or the Windows Phone.. if the Isostorespy have a problem working With Windows 10 and what to do abouat that - in addition i've found post telling me that i need a Developer unlocked phone in order to get Isostorespy to work. I'm probbaly getting my topic mixed up With something else and getting the wrong answers.. anybody know a forum that could give me the relevant answers?

I have upgraded to Windows 10 on my PC and have Windows 8,1 update 2 on the phone.

Isostorespy is a file explorer app for the phone. It has nothing to do with the actual downloading of the cartridges. All the file manager app does is allow you to MOVE the cartridge. So this will allow you to download the cartridges right on your phone and then you can use Isostorespy or another file manager to move that newly downloaded cartridge from your download folder to your One Drive so the Wherigo app can see the cartridge.

I personally don't use Isostorespy. I use Pocket File Manager. It works perfect!

Again, you only need a file manager app if you want to download Wherigo cartridges right directly using your phone then you must use the file manager app to move the file to the correct folder so this app can find it.

Your other option is to download the cartridges on your PC and then move them to your One Drive. Make sense?

Edited by MersonMonkeys

Hi everyone,

I'm getting more and more reports of users switching from WP8 to W10m and not being able to download or install the app anymore.

Symptoms vary, but they seem to range from an alert explaining the app cannot be installed, to the store "install" button being disabled.

Can users who managed to install the app on W10m chime in and share your experience?

(What version of the OS are you running? What language? Did you have a WP8 or WP7 registered to the same Microsoft account before?)

Hi Mangatome

I have the same problem on my Lumia 950. When I changed from the Lumia 930 to the Lumia 950 in Dec. I had no problems to install the Geowigo-App following the instructions from the link in the mail. My friend gets the invitation last week and wanted to install the app, but he doesn't get the install-button in the store. When I tried with my old link I had the same problem. Following the link, I get redirected to the store and to the app, but there was no install-button. With every other app I tried, there was no problem.

Till now, I finished 2 Wherigos without any problems on my Lumia 950. So, I think, there is not a problem with the app, it works absolutely smooth. I think there is a problem with the Microsoft Store, which has difficulties with Beta-Apps. May the Microsoft-Support have a solution for this problem?!

Isostorespy is a file explorer app for the phone. It has nothing to do with the actual downloading of the cartridges. All the file manager app does is allow you to MOVE the cartridge. So this will allow you to download the cartridges right on your phone and then you can use Isostorespy or another file manager to move that newly downloaded cartridge from your download folder to your One Drive so the Wherigo app can see the cartridge.

I personally don't use Isostorespy. I use Pocket File Manager. It works perfect!

Again, you only need a file manager app if you want to download Wherigo cartridges right directly using your phone then you must use the file manager app to move the file to the correct folder so this app can find it.

Your other option is to download the cartridges on your PC and then move them to your One Drive. Make sense?

Makes very good sense - i can see i have been messing with stuff i shouldn't .. thanks for clearing that up - we're a couple of newbies that find that answer really helpfull ;-)

Any news about this installing issue on W10M?

Our family has no WP8 phones left, all phones are w10m and none of us has working installation, because install button is greyed in the store. Accounts have been checked, so how do we tackle this problem?

Dear all,

After talking to Microsoft support about the Windows 10 "grey button" issue, it appears that Windows 10 doesn't support (anymore?) WP8 beta apps.

There's a way to enable W10 users to download the app, through redeemable coupons, but the amount is limited to 250 every 6 months.

I've been wanting to wrap up a couple of features before releasing the app, which is why it's still in beta.

Users that are running W10, and feel the urgent need to use the app please come back to me by email or in a private message, including an email address where I can send you these coupons.

Given the limited amount, I would kindly ask teams and families to limit yourself to asking for one coupon.

The general plan is to go public with the app as soon as I have enough time to make a WP8 port, add offline maps, and a way to play cartridges from the local filesystem.

Edited by Mangatome

TL;DR - Quick facts:

- Work in progress

- For Windows Phone 7.5 and Windows Phone 8.

- Free and open-source.

The App is in Beta!

• For developer-unlocked phones: simply grab the latest XAP file and deploy it. More instructions in this post.

• Getting the app from the Store: It is on invite-only. Send me your Windows Phone's Live ID E-mail Address in a private message. I will come back to you with instructions.

(Because of the amount of requests I receive, I invite users to the beta once per month. You will therefore receive a confirmation within a month. Thank you for your patience.)

Hi Mangatome, I try to download Geowigo as you wrote me. I can´t download, it writes me - I haven´t permission to download this app. Windows 10, Microsoft Lumia 535 Dual sim

Hi. I've answered in a private message.

Those in the same case please come back to me by e-mail. Thanks.

Hi Mangatome, I try to download Geowigo as you wrote me. I can´t download, it writes me - I haven´t permission to download this app. Windows 10, Microsoft Lumia 535 Dual sim

Hi. I've answered in a private message.

Those in the same case please come back to me by e-mail. Thanks.

Hi Mangatome,

Happy Eastier for you and your family.

Thank you for sending me code. Everything was allright, but .... I input your code and I got to Windows store. I was happy. Then I connected store and I started downloading Geowigo. A few seconds conenection faliled down. ( handy - Windows store ) .I can´t use the code more rtime. The code was ....... What shall I do if it does again?

Thanks

Kantorol

Hi! I just want you to know that I am very happy for the program!

I have used this app on three different small Wherigo cartridges so far, and all worked as expected! The app has been used on three different phones and two different operating systems (lumia 920, 530 and 950 / Windows phone 8.1 and 10).

My only problem so far, but that you can't do anything about, is to download the Wherigo programs to onedrive from the phone. Files can only be downloaded to the phone and I can't find any method to upload it to my onedrive account. So Far I have used and Ipad or a computer to get the Wherigo files to my onedrive account. Any workarounds? :)

I have used this app on three different small Wherigo cartridges so far, and all worked as expected! The app has been used on three different phones and two different operating systems (lumia 920, 530 and 950 / Windows phone 8.1 and 10).

My only problem so far, but that you can't do anything about, is to download the Wherigo programs to onedrive from the phone. Files can only be downloaded to the phone and I can't find any method to upload it to my onedrive account. So Far I have used and Ipad or a computer to get the Wherigo files to my onedrive account. Any workarounds? :)

I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but you can download it to your phone and then upload it to your Onedrive using the Onedrive app.

I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but you can download it to your phone and then upload it to your Onedrive using the Onedrive app.

Absolutely. That's what I'm doing myself.

In the public version of the app, I intend to make it possible to directly open a downloaded cartridge with the app.

Beta is now closed.

Hi everyone. It's been two years and a half since I've started researching how to make a Wherigo player for Windows Phone.

I think everyone will agree that it's about time this led to a concrete result.

Starting today I will not send invites or promotional codes to get Geowigo Beta.

In the coming days, current beta-testers will receive an update that includes long-requested features such as offline maps.

This update will be the last beta version of the app.

I expect to release Geowigo publicly before the end of May.

Stay tuned here for updates.

Thank you.

Version 1.0.25

This version ships today and is the last one to support Windows Phone 7, 7.1 and 8.0.

Changes are:

- the beta message is gone and replaced by a disclaimer about the fact that this version is the last one to support WP 7.0 to 8.0 included.

- the splash screen no longer says "preview version"

Starting with this version, I'm no longer providing XAPs for people to download from the web.

The reason is that, with the upcoming public release of the app, users of WP 7.0 to 8.0 will be able to get version 1.0.25 from the store.

Users of WP 8.1 and later should not get updated to this version. Your phones shall skip it and update directly to 1.0.26 or later.

Version 1.0.26

Today ships the (I hope) last beta version of the app. It's a major version with several significant changes, that were quite hard and time-consuming to pull off.

First and foremost, the app was ported to Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1, which allowed me to finally port the map to the new Map control. Offline maps are therefore, now supported.

The map underwent additional changes that aim at making it clearer to read when many entities are on-screen. It's also possible to change its background now. Let me know how it goes.

mini_673630geowigobeta1.jpg

Syncing with OneDrive has been enhanced with the remote "Uploads" folder being now created automatically with the app if it is missing. An options in Settings allows to enable or disable uploading entirely.

The app is also more clever about which files to upload now, in order to decrease the footprint on your data plans.

It's now possible to delete cartridges from the home screen. The app will warn if the cartridge comes from OneDrive, and therefore may be downloaded again if you don't remove it from OneDrive.

mini_944562geowigobeta2.jpg

And, a feature that was requested a long time ago, and that is now possible thanks to porting the app to 8.1... you can now open cartridges downloaded from the web, received by e-mail, or simply sitting in your phone or SD card storage! Just tap on the file and Geowigo should start.

mini_902225geowigobeta3.jpg

When you open a file like this, Geowigo will copy it into its own folder on your phone.

I hope that these changes will please everyone, and that the app is now good enough for imminent public release.

Let me know your experience with this version.

Edited by Mangatome

Hi Mangatome,

these are really great news!

I think many users on Windows 10 Mobile will be happy, if there's finally a Wherigo Player for their plattform. :)

The lastest Wherigos I played, all worked without any problems.

Does the design of Geowigo change with the final release? The actual design is Windows Phone-Style. Are there any plans to adjust it to Windows 10 Mobile, which is the actual plattform?

Recently theres a new Wherigo near my homezone, which doesn't work. :huh:

http://coord.info/GC5VZAP

If I' m starting the cartridge, it doesn't show me any informations like tasks or inventory.

I made a screenshot of this problem.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160512/3v6whoda.png

A few cachers reported in their logs they had problems with this Wherigo on their Android- or iPhone-Devices, too.

Has the problem to do with Geowig or is this a general problem?

Edited by Heisenberg_

Does the design of Geowigo change with the final release? The actual design is Windows Phone-Style. Are there any plans to adjust it to Windows 10 Mobile, which is the actual plattform?

Not until I own a W10M myself. Besides, many users still run WP8.1, including myself, so the platform is far from being obsolete.

As long as the app is usable on W10M without issues...

Recently theres a new Wherigo near my homezone, which doesn't work. :huh:

http://coord.info/GC5VZAP

If I' m starting the cartridge, it doesn't show me any informations like tasks or inventory.

I made a screenshot of this problem.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160512/3v6whoda.png

A few cachers reported in their logs they had problems with this Wherigo on their Android- or iPhone-Devices, too.

This sounds like the cartridge relies on some specific behavior of the Garmin engine, that is not happening in our WF engine.

We'll have to further look into it.

Thanks to Charlenni for looking into this.

It turns out this cartridge features zones with distance ranges. So the zones won't appear unless you are very close to them. Being around the starting coordinates of the cartridge should display the zones.

If by any chance the location accuracy is not good, the zones might disappear.

This is expected behavior and Geowigo does the job.

However there's a bug in Geowigo that I've encountered myself, where it can happen that your location is not properly updated when you start the cartridge.

This may explain if you don't see zones while still standing at the starting coordinates.

In this case I would suggest to move around the starting coordinates and make sure location is updating (you can check in the player+device screen).

If it's not, exit the app, start it again and run the cartridge. Location should be updating, and you should see the zones when you move close enough to them.

Try this and let me know.

Edited by Mangatome

Version 1.0.27

This version fixes several stability issues, as well as a regression that prevented users from resuming savegames from a cartridge's info page.

The app is still in beta, as I am investigating a OneDrive sync issue that affects some users. Hopefully this version will help me figure out the problem.

Version 1.0.28

A new version of the app is released today. It's still beta so that I can get more feedback about bugs related to the following change:

The small map in the cartridge info page has been ported to offline maps as well. This means you can now get an overview of the starting location of the cartridge, as well as your location, without needing an internet connection. Taping on the small map still launches the phone's map app to navigate easier to the location.

Some more bugs have been fixed, and hopefully the app is pretty stable and works well-enough now.

Edited by Mangatome