Wherigo Foundation: Windows Phone Player development thread

Mangatome

Hi

I tried this cartridge today: http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=e561e853-6718-4dee-b2e3-4d5f663a0492

It's supposed to be play anywhere but the player froze up after I got the instruction to anchor the boat, map screen wouldn't load and the anchor inventory item didn't work. When I tried to exit the cartridge it froze at stopping cartridge and I had to manually close it. Tried it five or six times but same result every time. First time I've had a failure like that with Geowigo, but no complaints, it's a great app!

Hi, thanks for reporting this problem. It will be fixed in the next version.

Geowigo users are having some problems like crashing with my newest games.

I have made a demo cartridge, which simply makes constantly (3sec interval) closest 5 zones active.

What could cause the crashing?

Cartridge and the code.

@zuge: Be carefull with your code. The cartridge wouldn't work after save and restore of the game, because your table zones isn't added to ZVariables. To do this, you should add

var_cartridge.ZVariables["zones"] = true

to OnStart. That's all.

@zuge: Be carefull with your code. The cartridge wouldn't work after save and restore of the game, because your table zones isn't added to ZVariables. To do this, you should add

var_cartridge.ZVariables["zones"] = true

to OnStart. That's all.

Thanks for your info, but isn't these lines doing it correctly?

-- Begin user functions --
function start()
zones = {}
var_cartridge.ZVariables.zones = zones

Hi,

I would like to be added to the list of testers for the app "Geowigo".

Without the consent I can not download them.

Where should I apply for?

Thanks.

Please send me a private message with your phone's Microsoft account e-mail address.

This will allow me to add you to the list.

Geowigo users are having some problems like crashing with my newest games.

I have made a demo cartridge, which simply makes constantly (3sec interval) closest 5 zones active.

What could cause the crashing?

Cartridge and the code.

Hi, thanks for reporting the crash.

I couldn't reproduce it with the next version.

Can you give me a link to the full cartridge and/or more precise info about when the crash occurred?

Or did the players try this demo in Geowigo and it crashed it?

function now()
 local t = os.date("*t")
 return string.format("%02d:%02d:%02d - %02d.%02d.%04d", t.hour, t.min, t.sec, t.day, t.month, t.year)
end

Should return something like: 22:19:50 - 21.05.2015, but how come in Webwigo that turns to: 022:019:050 - 021.05.02015 ?

I'm also using os.time() to calculate the duration of playing the game etc, but it's also working weirdly in Webwigo.

start = os.time()
(30 seconds passes..)
end = os.time()
result1 = end - start
result2 = os.difftime(end, start)

Results in Groundspeak Wherigo Player:

1. try: result1 = 30, result2 = 30

2. try: result1 = 30, result2 = 30

Results in WhereYouGo:

1. try: result1 = 30.011000156402588, result2 = 30.011000156402588

2. try: result1 = 30.036999940872192, result2 = 30.036999940872192

Results in Webwigo:

1. try: result1 = 63567844905, result2 = 3011200000

2. try: result1 = 63567845743, result2 = 301550080

How come such a results in Webwigo? :blink:

Hi again.

Just a quick update about this issue. Or rather, these 3 issues, as it turns out.

For once, the three of them are related to KopiLua, the Lua port I'm using.

The first issue is the string formatting. I have found a problem in KopiLua, that I shall try and pull into the official repo. I still need to unit test it, to be sure I'm not breaking something else in the process.

The second issue is the value of result1. This was simply fixed by upgrading to the latest version of KopiLua, which contains a fix for os.date() and os.time(). Yay!

The last issue is the value of result2. I still haven't found the problem yet, but os.difftime(end, start) does seem to return integer '30'. Then something happens, and the string that is pushed on the stack is 30000000 or something. Investigations continue but the next version will definitely come with a fix for these issues.

The first issue is the string formatting. I have found a problem in KopiLua, that I shall try and pull into the official repo. I still need to unit test it, to be sure I'm not breaking something else in the process.

The second issue is the value of result1. This was simply fixed by upgrading to the latest version of KopiLua, which contains a fix for os.date() and os.time(). Yay!

The last issue is the value of result2. I still haven't found the problem yet, but os.difftime(end, start) does seem to return integer '30'. Then something happens, and the string that is pushed on the stack is 30000000 or something. Investigations continue but the next version will definitely come with a fix for these issues.

These three issues are now solved. The next version of the app will contain the fix. Thanks again for reporting.

These three issues are now solved. The next version of the app will contain the fix. Thanks again for reporting.

Thanks a lot!

Hi, thanks for reporting the crash.

I couldn't reproduce it with the next version.

Can you give me a link to the full cartridge and/or more precise info about when the crash occurred?

Or did the players try this demo in Geowigo and it crashed it?

It was crashing at startup, but the user who tested it got it working afterwards. So, the reason might be somewhere else.

He also reported this error message earlier:

Cannot start game

A problem occured while restoring the saved game, therefore Geowigo cannot go on. This most likely happens because of faulth cartridge or save game.

If the problem persists, you should contact the cartridge owner, zuge, quoting the follow error messages that were raised during the crash

1> [isolatedStorage_Operation_ISFS] Arguments: Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem...

I digged a little bit (link) and made a conclusion that I might have too long file names with media. Longest was "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyza.jpg". I have now shortened those, but not sure if that helps...

Hi Mangatome,

just wanted to say thanks once again for this great app. Completed 8 wherigos in one day :D

Also a year ago I couldn´t even start Wherigo in mystery GC2JCAY but I had no problem whatsoever with it yesterday. So, well done with updates!

Cheers,

zeepia

It was crashing at startup, but the user who tested it got it working afterwards. So, the reason might be somewhere else.

He also reported this error message earlier:

Cannot start game

A problem occured while restoring the saved game, therefore Geowigo cannot go on. This most likely happens because of faulth cartridge or save game.

If the problem persists, you should contact the cartridge owner, zuge, quoting the follow error messages that were raised during the crash

1> [isolatedStorage_Operation_ISFS] Arguments: Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem...

I digged a little bit (link) and made a conclusion that I might have too long file names with media. Longest was "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyza.jpg". I have now shortened those, but not sure if that helps...

I have been indeed seeing a lot of these errors in my bug tracker lately, without being able to reproduce. Long filenames might have something to do with some of these errors, but probably not all.

Since the crash was occurring at cartridge startup, and your players have been able to play the cartridge afterwards, I'm betting they hit a race condition.

I'll try, but would still appreciate if you could send me a link or the GC code to the cartridge in a private message :)

Hi Mangatome,

just wanted to say thanks once again for this great app. Completed 8 wherigos in one day :D

Also a year ago I couldn´t even start Wherigo in mystery GC2JCAY but I had no problem whatsoever with it yesterday. So, well done with updates!

Cheers,

zeepia

Thanks a lot for the message ! I'm glad it's working better now.

Update - Version 1.0.21

Hi everybody! A new version of the app is being pushed right now.

It focuses on stability, with a big bunch of bugs fixed. Most of the problems discussed on this thread since last release are fixed.

Additionally, some of the most recurring problems (according to my bug tracking app) are fixed now.

I am aware of a regression that was introduced maybe one or two versions ago, where non-latin characters such as ä are displayed with a ? instead.

We're looking into it.

How to update

•  
  • For developer-unlocked phones: simply grab the XAP file and deploy it.
  • For the rest: if you have the app already, it should update automatically (if not go to the store page). If you don't have the app, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

Hi Mangatome

I logged my first Wherigo with Geowigo (1.0.21) this weekend 'Hitta Karlson' GC5Q06T and it all worked great. Specially the zones to display on the map.....

Feature request : Wondiws Phones has Here Maps that works as offline maps, great if we could use that (as a setting)

-steen

Edited by bendtsen & hund

I've tried a starters Wherigo 2 times because I was testrunner for this one. The cartridge crashed 2 times... Couldn't start over at last saving point and had to start all over again. It's the following cartridge http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=fcade7b3-4659-47fa-ae50-783a061bf6b4 I don't know what the crash notification was, can I look for it again? I've got the 1.0.19 version of geowigo.

I've tried a starters Wherigo 2 times because I was testrunner for this one. The cartridge crashed 2 times... Couldn't start over at last saving point and had to start all over again. It's the following cartridge http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=fcade7b3-4659-47fa-ae50-783a061bf6b4 I don't know what the crash notification was, can I look for it again? I've got the 1.0.19 version of geowigo.

Hi,

I can't reproduce this crash.

Please update the app to the last version (1.0.21) and try again.

If the crash happens again, go to the main menu of the app, bring the bottom menu bar up and tap on "send bug report".

Thanks.

View PostJolly16, on 08 June 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

I've tried a starters Wherigo 2 times because I was testrunner for this one. The cartridge crashed 2 times... Couldn't start over at last saving point and had to start all over again. It's the following cartridge http://www.Wherigo.c...50-783a061bf6b4 I don't know what the crash notification was, can I look for it again? I've got the 1.0.19 version of geowigo.

Hi,

I can't reproduce this crash.

Please update the app to the last version (1.0.21) and try again.

If the crash happens again, go to the main menu of the app, bring the bottom menu bar up and tap on "send bug report".

Thanks.

I've found the bug info in geowigo and sended it to contact@cybisoft.net

Edited by Jolly16

Hello,

Yesterday, I have try the app with this cartridge My link

With a Nokia Lumia 625, application versio 3,14,7,4

The compass is not supported by this device, but not a problem.

No problem during the trip. But the final GWS file for unlock the cartridge is not recognize by the site Wherigo...

Thank you, I'll trybanother game ASAP.

HAPPY CACHING

It's time to report about my latest experience with Geowigo. In June I went together with three friends to find http://coord.info/GC55NQD. We had three different devices - an Oregon 450, an Andriod-Phone and my HTC 8X runnig with WindowsPhone 8.1. Since the Update from 8.0 to 8.1 my Phone was running extremly slow and I had to restart it every day. When we started this Wherigo, the catridge on my phone froze and I wasn't able to restart it from the last position I saved. My friends started to grin about my windows phone and we continued with the other devices. During half of the cartidge, the Oregon froze too and didn't restart. So at last the adroid kept us playing this with complex cache. In the middle of this Wherigo you reach a virtual marketplace and during that game the adroid phone died too and so we had to stop our hunt for this cache. As the creator of this cartridge is a good friend of mine, I reported him our problems, but he didn't saw any faults. I promised to myself to come back one day.

During the last weeks Microsoft offered an important update to WP 8.1 and fixed a lot of problems. I was force to do a hard reset on my phone to install the update, but it was worth the effort. Now everything on my phone runs fine and extemly quick. Last saturday I did a second try on this Wherigo on my own. Everythng runs perfect and only during my visit on the virtual marketplace, I had to restart the latest saved game as the app seemed to run into a circle with no way out. After that I could continue the game and succeeded. It was another great experience with the geowigo-app. Thanks to Mangatome. Keep up your good work! B)

Edited by Hide*seek

Dear Mangatome :) I got the link to the Wherigo player: Thank you ? I have a little problem tho. The cartridge I wanted to download (.gwc) didn't upload to OneDrive because it was "empty". And when I downloaded it directly, the app didn't sync it from OneDrive. So now I still can't play the Wherigo I wanted so bad :( also, I can't seem to unlink the app anymore. I'd rather not be connected all the time. Kind regards, TonWoud

Dear Mangatome :) I got the link to the Wherigo player: Thank you ? I have a little problem tho. The cartridge I wanted to download (.gwc) didn't upload to OneDrive because it was "empty". And when I downloaded it directly, the app didn't sync it from OneDrive. So now I still can't play the Wherigo I wanted so bad :( also, I can't seem to unlink the app anymore. I'd rather not be connected all the time. Kind regards, TonWoud

Hi. Cartridges are downloaded from a folder called Geowigo in your OneDrive. If there's no such folder, the cartridges won't be found.

Besides, the app currently never unlinks from OneDrive. If you want to remove the link you'll have to uninstall the app.

I'm aware that these are limitations of the app, and hopefully one day I'll have time to change that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Update - Version 1.0.22

This new update fixes several of the most frequent crashes and solves some UX problems there and there.

Starting with this version I will cease to distribute older versions of the app on my website.

Using the Windows Phone store will be the preferred solution for those willing to try the app out.

Of course, the app remains open-source, so those who are willing to build the app from scratch can still do that.

Because I don't have as much time nowadays as I would like, not much development is currently happening on Geowigo.

I am thinking about going out of beta and simply put the app in the store in its current state, soon. Let me know what you think.

Edited by Mangatome

So far I haven't had any real problems with the app.

I just recently encountered a problem with a new Wherigo (caused by the app??)

It's concering this Wherigo:http://coord.info/GC606HZ with this cartridge: http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=ed97648a-094a-4ded-b375-fb495fa20787

On my Windowsphone the pictures (in the puzzle) aren't shown.

I ran the same cartridge on my sons androidphone, and he had no problem.

I'm using version 1.0.22

Erwin

So far I haven't had any real problems with the app.

I just recently encountered a problem with a new Wherigo (caused by the app??)

It's concering this Wherigo:http://coord.info/GC606HZ with this cartridge: http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=ed97648a-094a-4ded-b375-fb495fa20787

On my Windowsphone the pictures (in the puzzle) aren't shown.

I ran the same cartridge on my sons androidphone, and he had no problem.

I'm using version 1.0.22

Erwin

Hi. This problem should be fixed in the next version, 1.0.23, due to release sometime later this month. Cheers!

Ok, I tried installing Geowigo on 920 + wp10 and installation was successful + app seems to function (havent tried with caches yet).

But then when I tried it with 820 + wp10 I wasnt able to install it at all. Store says that Geowigo isnt available anymore?

Ok, I tried installing Geowigo on 920 + wp10 and installation was successful + app seems to function (havent tried with caches yet).

But then when I tried it with 820 + wp10 I wasnt able to install it at all. Store says that Geowigo isnt available anymore?

Hi, thanks for trying. Good to know wp10 is backwards compatible!

Not sure what the 820-wp10 problem is though.

Hello everyone

In the pasted 13th of August I did my first Wherigo geocache, using a Nokia Lumia 625. I did most of the Wherigo Cartridge without problems, but close to the final the Cartridge ofters two destinations; one is near the final point, the other is a bonus; from this point on, when I save the progress the app returns an error and doesn't save.

The important it that I finished the cartridge and found the cache.

Geocache

Cartridge

Hello everyone

In the pasted 13th of August I did my first Wherigo geocache, using a Nokia Lumia 625. I did most of the Wherigo Cartridge without problems, but close to the final the Cartridge ofters two destinations; one is near the final point, the other is a bonus; from this point on, when I save the progress the app returns an error and doesn't save.

The important it that I finished the cartridge and found the cache.

Geocache

Cartridge

Hi, do you remember what the error was?

Update - Version 1.0.24

Hi! A new update is being deployed to the store. The main menu has been cleaned a bit, and most items moved to a brand new settings page.

On the settings page you'll be able to perform various tasks, among which some that were requested by users: unlink OneDrive account and disable auto sync.

One more thing...

Last major version for Windows Phone 7.5

I'm discontinuing development on Windows Phone 7.5. This means this version will be the one that will be available on the store for WP7.5 users (minus a couple of minor changes). Of course, WP7.5 is more or less gone with the wind by now, so this decision will be transparent for most users. However, I wanted as many users as possible to be able to play Wherigo cartridges, so developing for WP7.5 was ensuring me a good coverage of the user base. The downside was that many useful features were not available.

What dropping WP7.5 also means is that the roadmap for the app now becomes a bit more concrete.

In the coming versions, you can expect much-needed, much-anticipated features among which HERE maps, faster playback, background update, notifications, etc.

Of course all of this will take time so thanks for hanging in there!

Edited by Mangatome

Update - Version 1.0.22

I am thinking about going out of beta and simply put the app in the store in its current state, soon. Let me know what you think.

Is a public version in the store imminent? Or should I ask for a beta version? I don't need it until october/november sometime so I suppose I can wait :-)

Update - Version 1.0.22

Is a public version in the store imminent? Or should I ask for a beta version? I don't need it until october/november sometime so I suppose I can wait :-)

Still no ETA. It's getting closer but I wouldn't count on it for the coming months.

Hy,

I'have read through the topic, sounds great!

Because there is no public version available yet, I have to send an email with my windows mail to you, Mangatome, correct?

When I've been invited and the app is installed, do I have to do anything else or should it work on my windows phone just having installed the app?

Thanks,

Jan Hosen

Because there is no public version available yet, I have to send an email with my windows mail to you, Mangatome, correct?

When I've been invited and the app is installed, do I have to do anything else or should it work on my windows phone just having installed the app?

Correct. Once you're invited and you installed the app, it will be just like a normal app on your phone.

Being invited simply grants one the possibility to view and install the app from the Store.

How will I notice that I've been invented to download the app? Will I get a message from the store or do I have to search for the app every few days?

Hi. As stated in the very first post in this topic, you will receive an email from myself at your Microsoft account mail address. The email contains a link to the store page of the app, from where you can install it.

Since the app is beta it is not visible in the store without the link. It might be visible if you already installed the app but I don't guarantee it.

In the first post I also state that my time is limited, therefore I'm processing invites in batches - at least one batch a month. So the best you can do is sit tight and wait for a bit, and send me a message like you did if the waiting becomes too much or if the invite is urgently needed for some reason (teaching, event, etc). Sorry about the tediousness of this process.

I've now found the saved game for one of the wherigos so it looks as though it is just a problem with the other one of the cartridges.

Hi. What cartridge is this?

Usually saving is straightforward. Either the app crashes while saving (if you're lucky, it just lets you know the savegame didn't work) or it just works and the savegame appears in the list of savegames.

A mistake I hear more and more often - and I should probably address - is that people expect the "play" button to resume their latest played game, although, currently, the button just starts a new game. Restoring a savegame can happen by tapping on a savegame in a cartridge's savegame list; or simply by tapping the related entry in the history.

Can you confirm you restored a savegame by tapping on it, and the game started, and it looked like your progress was not restored properly?

How can you tell? What was missing?

Hey all.

A new minor update is hitting the store (1.0.24.1). This fixes a bug with OneDrive settings that would be improperly reported if the phone was not connected to the Internet.

This fix is also available for Windows Phone 7.5 and I expect hope this shall be the last bugfix release for this platform.

Next up will be a substantial update for Windows Phone 8+.

Hey,

here i report a problem, that i found at my first test with the lumia620 (wp8.1) and version 1.0.24.1

i play the GC5YX17 (hidden link).

- the text field for input the answer goes longer and longer and move the OK button out of the screen.

- the text field for input the name of a savegame shows only a part of the words in line two.

bu-be

Hi everyone,

I have been using the app now and then and enjosed to see how features and stability improved. One thing which drove me crazy was the unability to sync to OneDrive. None of the suggestions so far helped (uninstall/reinstall).

Today I think I found the solution to the problem and would like to share the info: When browsing through the logs obtained on unsuccessful download attempts I noticed, that Geowigo actually was able to connect and also found other folders in my OneDrive, just not the /Geowigo one. Then I looked for specifics of the Geowigo folder and noticed, that OneDrive knows 2 types of folders: Pictures and Documents. Mine was set to Pictures (don't know how, I think I created the folder on the local PC copy of the OneDrive). After changing to Documents (only possible on the web interface) Geowigo now happily synchronizes :D

Lumia 820

Hey,

here i report a problem, that i found at my first test with the lumia620 (wp8.1) and version 1.0.24.1

i play the GC5YX17 (hidden link).

- the text field for input the answer goes longer and longer and move the OK button out of the screen.

- the text field for input the name of a savegame shows only a part of the words in line two.

bu-be

Hi, thanks for reporting.

I'll keep these issues in mind for a future patch.

Hi everyone,

I have been using the app now and then and enjosed to see how features and stability improved. One thing which drove me crazy was the unability to sync to OneDrive. None of the suggestions so far helped (uninstall/reinstall).

Today I think I found the solution to the problem and would like to share the info: When browsing through the logs obtained on unsuccessful download attempts I noticed, that Geowigo actually was able to connect and also found other folders in my OneDrive, just not the /Geowigo one. Then I looked for specifics of the Geowigo folder and noticed, that OneDrive knows 2 types of folders: Pictures and Documents. Mine was set to Pictures (don't know how, I think I created the folder on the local PC copy of the OneDrive). After changing to Documents (only possible on the web interface) Geowigo now happily synchronizes :D

Lumia 820

Hi,

Thanks a lot for sharing this. This was a really puzzling problem some people had for a long time.

Great discovery!

In the future I'll want the app to let users select where to get cartridges from, so hopefully this problem won't be so critical anymore.

Thanks again!