Wherigo Foundation: Windows Phone Player development thread

Mangatome

Hi,

Geowigo has worked very well this far. Last weekend tried to play Vihjejahti (GC59W1P) here in Finland. I loaded the cartridge and started Wherigo. It says: Valitse merkkikoodaus, which means "choose the right code". I can choose then UTF-8, ISO 8859-1 or ASCII. I tried those all, but the program crashes any way. It gives a message(after choosing that UTF-8):

Cartridge crashed

A problem occured while running the game, therefore Geowigo cannot go on. This most likely happens because of a faulty cartridge or savegame.

If the problem persists, you should contact the Cartridge owner, quoting the following error messages that were raised during the crash:

2> ...f24b1-2cd2-41d5-b6c1-ff01828c2a09/_cartridge-new.enc:559: pattern too complex

1> An exception occured while executing the provider

I will send this message to the builder of this Wherigo and wanted to tell it here too.

ymj73

Hi,

Geowigo has worked very well this far. Last weekend tried to play Vihjejahti (GC59W1P) here in Finland. I loaded the cartridge and started Wherigo. It says: Valitse merkkikoodaus, which means "choose the right code". I can choose then UTF-8, ISO 8859-1 or ASCII. I tried those all, but the program crashes any way. It gives a message(after choosing that UTF-8):

Cartridge crashed

A problem occured while running the game, therefore Geowigo cannot go on. This most likely happens because of a faulty cartridge or savegame.

If the problem persists, you should contact the Cartridge owner, quoting the following error messages that were raised during the crash:

2> ...f24b1-2cd2-41d5-b6c1-ff01828c2a09/_cartridge-new.enc:559: pattern too complex

1> An exception occured while executing the provider

I will send this message to the builder of this Wherigo and wanted to tell it here too.

ymj73

As the author of this cartridge I feel like sharing my suspicions of what causes this crash.

The error message "pattern too complex" sounds like it is probably caused by the string.gsub function. I cannot see how anything else that I do might cause an error like that. I use the function to replace certain patterns in my strings with non-ASCII characters that I need for displaying Finnish text. The user can choose which character encoding their device uses, or fall back to ASCII in case the special characters cause problems. As not even the fallback worked in this case, I believe that string.gsub does not work properly. There have not been any similar problems with other players as far as I know.

Cartridge crashed

The error message "pattern too complex" sounds like it is probably caused by the string.gsub function. There have not been any similar problems with other players as far as I know.

No, gsub works perfect. I tested it here, and it works with the core. I could select the different encoding settings and the screens are displayed correct (in UTF-8), but my Finnish is a little bit outdated ;)

Surprisingly, I think the problem is with Geowigo this time.

I've encountered the exact same problem in Wherigo Tutorial, which is notourious for being widely compatible.

When I finish the tutorial on my WP8, it crashes right before the completion message.

I just reproduced it on a WP7 emulator with Wherigo Tutorial.

Something is definitely wrong with Geowigo...

Cartridge crashed

The error message "pattern too complex" sounds like it is probably caused by the string.gsub function. There have not been any similar problems with other players as far as I know.

No, gsub works perfect. I tested it here, and it works with the core. I could select the different encoding settings and the screens are displayed correct (in UTF-8), but my Finnish is a little bit outdated ;)

Surprisingly, I think the problem is with Geowigo this time.

I've encountered the exact same problem in Wherigo Tutorial, which is notourious for being widely compatible.

When I finish the tutorial on my WP8, it crashes right before the completion message.

I just reproduced it on a WP7 emulator with Wherigo Tutorial.

Something is definitely wrong with Geowigo...

I found the source of the bug (wasn't me!). It will be fixed in next release.

Here are two pictures.... http://1drv.ms/16HjOzI

I tried on the emulator and couldn't reproduce...

952785capture.png

This Cache (GC4GY0E) is on my to-do-list, too.

On my player this error only appears, if I load a manually saved game.

Mayby the storage process is the problem?

Starting a new game

http://1drv.ms/1EBLHEn

Loading a savegame

http://1drv.ms/1EBLlgS

http://1drv.ms/1EBLSzl

OK not sure if this is the right place to ask this but.... Ive just got a Windows phone and tried to install Geowigo onto it but get a message saying that im not allowed to download it, why is this?

Simon. m3hxe

Send me your phone's Microsoft account email address in a private message.

On another note, the umlaute bug has been found and will be fixed in next version. Huge kudos to Charlenni who was pivotal in identifying and fixing the problem :)

Update - Version 1.0.18

This update fixes two problems:

1. Fixed KopiLua's string.gsub crashing when input string had more than 200 characters. This caused the message ymj73 and Kripakko mentioned.
  2. Fixed strings passed to Lua are not encoded in UTF-8. This caused the problem BeKiBoKi and Heisenberg_ discovered. It was also causing another bug where accentuated characters entered in Inputs would not be passed correctly to the cartridge code.

Thanks for reporting these problems and - again! - to Charlenni for outstanding help.

How to update

For developer-unlocked phones: simply grab the XAP file and deploy it.

For the rest: if you have the app already, it should update automatically (if not go to the store page). If you don't have the app, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

OK not sure if this is the right place to ask this but.... Ive just got a Windows phone and tried to install Geowigo onto it but get a message saying that im not allowed to download it, why is this?

Simon. m3hxe

Send me your phone's Microsoft account email address in a private message.

On another note, the umlaute bug has been found and will be fixed in next version. Huge kudos to Charlenni who was pivotal in identifying and fixing the problem :)

OK Thanks, Ive just realised my Nokia 630 doesnt have a compass built in would this be a problem for the Geowigo app???

Hi,

I tried my first Wherigo with the Geowigo Player (not my first Wherigo at all).

First of all I’m very happy to have a player for windows phone and I is a great work!!

I took the Wherigo GC4CET2 but it works not that well as expected. Time and time again when I tried to open things of my inventory like the notepad the player did not open anything. When tapping on the things nothing happens. I was still able to save the game, but I can not stop the program. Trying to do so the player shows the message “ … stopping …” but this remains for long time, nothing happens. I have to restart my phone several times.

Player I used was the latest one 1.0.18. Cartidge was loaded for pocket PC, hope this is the right choose.

My phone is a Nokia 830

Any idea what I can do?

One question more: Is it normal that the compass needs to be calibrated at every start of the player and sometime during the player is running?

Thanks Peter

Trying to do so the player shows the message “ … stopping …” but this remains for long time, nothing happens. I have to restart my phone several times.

Player I used was the latest one 1.0.18. Cartidge was loaded for pocket PC, hope this is the right choose.

Hey, thanks for giving feedback. I thought I had fixed that bug. Seems not...

One question more: Is it normal that the compass needs to be calibrated at every start of the player and sometime during the player is running?

Not really. It probably means that you didn't manage to calibrate it properly (you should end up with an accuracy <= 10°).

If Windows Phone detects that your compass is not properly calibrated, it will kindly suggest to Geowigo a calibration screen should be displayed.

Dear Mangatome

Thank you for the permission to test this app. I was able to install the app on my Nokia Lumia 630 without any problems.

Unfortunately I didn’t succeed in testing the app. I constantly get the message that no cartridges were found. I have reinstalled the app several times but without success.

As stated on the forum I made a folder in my Geowigo One Drive. Through the Wherigo site I downloaded following cartridges:

-Wherigo Player Tutorial

-Master Clue (Dutch)

- The City Gates Bike Race

After I placed them in the folder, I started the app but without result. What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards

Jurgen Deforce

I constantly get the message that no cartridges were found. I have reinstalled the app several times but without success.

Hey. Some questions come to mind:

• Did you link the app to your OneDrive account?
  • Do the cartridge files end with GWC.
  • Did you place the cartridge files in a folder called Geowigo on your OneDrive (and not in any subfolder)?
  • Is the Geowigo folder itself at the root of your OneDrive?

Dear Mangatome,

Thanks for your quick reaction.

- Did you link the app to your OneDrive account? Yes, On my screen I can read OneDrive: linked

- Do the cartridge files end with GWC.Yes

- Did you place the cartridge files in a folder called Geowigo on your OneDrive (and not in any subfolder)? Yes I did.

- Is the Geowigo folder itself at the root of your OneDrive? I don't think so. How should I make a Geowigo folder in the root of my OneDrive?

Kind regards,

Jurgen

- Is the Geowigo folder itself at the root of your OneDrive? I don't think so. How should I make a Geowigo folder in the root of my OneDrive?

I meant that the Geowigo folder should not be itself in another directory. It should be in the top-most screen of your OneDrive.

660286Capture.jpg

Dear Mangatome,

I have downloaded folowing cartridges. I chose the cartridges for ‘PC POCKET DEVICE’

- Wherigo player Tutorial – from the Wherigo-site

- Master Clue (Dutch) - GC43WJF

- The city Gates Bike Race - GC3BGYG

On my phone there is still 2,64 GB free and on my SD-card 6,24 GB. I will send you a email with the downloaded gwc-files and some screenshots. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Update - Version 1.0.19

I published yesterday a minor update which adds two things:

• Background on main page
  • Menu option "report a bug" to send an automatically generated bug report to me.

Hopefully the bug report feature will help me debug some problems, for instance the one juevdd has been facing.

How to update

•  
  • For developer-unlocked phones: simply grab the XAP file and deploy it.
  • For the rest: if you have the app already, it should update automatically (if not go to the store page). If you don't have the app, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

Hi everyone. I'm shipping a new minor update (1.0.19.1) that can log slightly more information about OneDrive problems.

There might be other minor versions after that (.19.2, .19.3...) that will similarly feature minor logging changes, depending on how successful I am in investigating juevdd's issue.

Ver. 1.0.19.1

After loading a saved game of I Love Vienna every time when entering a new zone the text displayed is scrambled and so – arriving at the last stage – it is impossible to read the final coordinates (see screenshot). Second screenshot shows the scrambled part unscrambled on an Android device.

ilovevienna4qsyo5ngxu.jpgandroiddm1r35hczy.jpg

Wow. That's an epic bug.

Thanks for reporting it, I'll look into it.

Hi Mangalore, I am using a Nokia Lumia 930 and have previously used the same phone to run the app and successfully complete Wherigo caches. Today I have tried to load new cartridges. I have uploaded them to OneDrive but I cannot synch them to the phone.

Let me know if I can provide any further information. I am using version 1.0.19.1

Hi Mangalore, I am using a Nokia Lumia 930 and have previously used the same phone to run the app and successfully complete Wherigo caches. Today I have tried to load new cartridges. I have uploaded them to OneDrive but I cannot synch them to the phone.

Let me know if I can provide any further information. I am using version 1.0.19.1

Hi. You probably have a bricked app. Uninstall the app, then reinstall it and link to OneDrive again. :)

Hi. You probably have a bricked app. Uninstall the app, then reinstall it and link to OneDrive again. :)

Thanks. That worked perfectly. I appreciate your efforts on this app.

Update - Version 1.0.20

Hi everyone.

I'm releasing a minor update which brings better default savegame names and a menu item which clears and rebuilds the app cache.

I hope that the latter will help me troubleshooting problems some people have been having with OneDrive lately.

The problem with cartridge I Love Vienna is still not identified.

And, worse, I haven't had a lot of time on my hands lately.

So sorry about that and thanks for sitting tight.

How to update

•  
  • For developer-unlocked phones: simply grab the XAP file and deploy it.
  • For the rest: if you have the app already, it should update automatically (if not go to the store page). If you don't have the app, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

When will the application will download for all? Better application errors than none!

Hi. You're right.

I don't have any release date to give at the moment.

The very least thing that's needed for the app to come out is a better management of OneDrive.

If I do ship the app in its current state (somewhat stable but not completely), I'm sure I'll get hordes of complaining reviews on the store. I guess I'm a bit afraid of that...

Hi,

I'm completly new with WP8 and also with Wherigo-Caches and after getting access from Mangatome to the Geowigo-App I tried to install my first cartridge with the following instructions:

1.Download a cartridge from the Wherigo website.

2.Download the tool IsoStoreSpy WP7+ Beta 5.

3.Run the tool IsoStoreSpy.

4.Click on WP Application.

5.In the drop-down list select "Windows Phone Device".

6.Double-click in the list on the item. "Unknown name / a4d3826a-6eb5-47d1-b1b2-3075bbd5cd64"

7.Click on the arrow next to "IsoStore" in the folder area, then click on the folder "Cartridges".

8.Here you can upload your Wherigo cartridges by clicking on the Upload file button.

But after installing the tool "IsoStoreSpy" on my Windows 7-Computer I'm not able to select "Windows Phone Device" in the drop-down list, because my list is empty. My WP8 is successfully connected to my Computer and I'm able to browse all Folders and files, means the connection between Phone and Computer is okay and works well.

Have I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Hi,

I'm completly new with WP8 and also with Wherigo-Caches and after getting access from Mangatome to the Geowigo-App I tried to install my first cartridge with the following instructions:

Hi,

Please follow the instructions in this post instead:

Once you did that you can just link Geowigo to your OneDrive account and get running.
:) Edited by Mangatome

Hi,

Hi,

Please follow the instructions in this post instead:

Once you did that you can just link Geowigo to your OneDrive account and get running.
:)

Hi Mangatome,

Thanks a lot ... it works now and I will do my first Wherigo within the next time
:)

Kind regards,

didi2232

Hello Mangatome,

I returned to WP8.1 from half year of Android phone usage.

I installed GeoWigo on phone with WP8.1 (previous was WP7.8) and it works very well. More better than on beginning od application developing. Great progress.

I have questions about future improvements:

1/ There is OneDrive as only storage location. Looks good, but because application automatically sync cartridges on start, this process tale long time when phone is on location with slow mobile network. It is possible to add settings to disable syncing on start?

2/ Are cartridges after syncing with OneDrive stored locally (local copy)? If not, previous request is not possible to accomplish.

3/ Do you plan to be possible use cartridges from local storage / from local SD card in Windows phone? This can be useful on places with poor mobile network coverage or on places without available mobile network = no OneDrive sync possible.

Thank you for answer and for your time, you spent developing this great application.

Regards

dejwy

Edited by dejwy

Hello Mangatome,

I returned to WP8.1 from half year of Android phone usage.

I installed GeoWigo on phone with WP8.1 (previous was WP7.8) and it works very well. More better than on beginning od application developing. Great progress.

I have questions about future improvements:

1/ There is OneDrive as only storage location. Looks good, but because application automatically sync cartridges on start, this process tale long time when phone is on location with slow mobile network. It is possible to add settings to disable syncing on start?

It's planned. For one day!

2/ Are cartridges after syncing with OneDrive stored locally (local copy)? If not, previous request is not possible to accomplish.

They are cached locally upon download. Savegames are stored locally until the next sync succeeds.

3/ Do you plan to be possible use cartridges from local storage / from local SD card in Windows phone? This can be useful on places with poor mobile network coverage or on places without available mobile network = no OneDrive sync possible.

Yes, it's planned!

function now()
 local t = os.date("*t")
 return string.format("%02d:%02d:%02d - %02d.%02d.%04d", t.hour, t.min, t.sec, t.day, t.month, t.year)
end

Should return something like: 22:19:50 - 21.05.2015, but how come in Webwigo that turns to: 022:019:050 - 021.05.02015 ?

I'm also using os.time() to calculate the duration of playing the game etc, but it's also working weirdly in Webwigo.

start = os.time()
(30 seconds passes..)
end = os.time()
result1 = end - start
result2 = os.difftime(end, start)

Results in Groundspeak Wherigo Player:

1. try: result1 = 30, result2 = 30

2. try: result1 = 30, result2 = 30

Results in WhereYouGo:

1. try: result1 = 30.011000156402588, result2 = 30.011000156402588

2. try: result1 = 30.036999940872192, result2 = 30.036999940872192

Results in Webwigo:

1. try: result1 = 63567844905, result2 = 3011200000

2. try: result1 = 63567845743, result2 = 301550080

How come such a results in Webwigo? :blink:

Edited by zuge

function now()
 local t = os.date("*t")
 return string.format("%02d:%02d:%02d - %02d.%02d.%04d", t.hour, t.min, t.sec, t.day, t.month, t.year)
end

Should return something like: 22:19:50 - 21.05.2015, but how come in Webwigo that turns to: 022:019:050 - 021.05.02015 ?

I'm also using os.time() to calculate the duration of playing the game etc, but it's also working weirdly in Webwigo.

start = os.time()
(30 seconds passes..)
end = os.time()
result1 = end - start
result2 = os.difftime(end, start)

Results in Groundspeak Wherigo Player:

1. try: result1 = 30, result2 = 30

2. try: result1 = 30, result2 = 30

Results in WhereYouGo:

1. try: result1 = 30.011000156402588, result2 = 30.011000156402588

2. try: result1 = 30.036999940872192, result2 = 30.036999940872192

Results in Webwigo:

1. try: result1 = 63567844905, result2 = 3011200000

2. try: result1 = 63567845743, result2 = 301550080

How come such a results in Webwigo? :blink:

Hi,

I'm able to reproduce this problem thanks to the demo cartridge you sent.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll look into it.

Hi !

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on webwigo (OSX + Chrome 43/Firefox 38/Safari 8) with the provided test

cartridge. Display of the date/time and result1/result2 is correct, right?

Can you tell me more about your system?

644510screenshotwwwwebwigonet20150523200029.png

Sorry! I meant Geowigo... too similar names :unsure:

Hi

I tried this cartridge today: http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=e561e853-6718-4dee-b2e3-4d5f663a0492

It's supposed to be play anywhere but the player froze up after I got the instruction to anchor the boat, map screen wouldn't load and the anchor inventory item didn't work. When I tried to exit the cartridge it froze at stopping cartridge and I had to manually close it. Tried it five or six times but same result every time. First time I've had a failure like that with Geowigo, but no complaints, it's a great app!