Wherigo Foundation: Windows Phone Player development thread

Mangatome

After some time it's time to write about my experiences! In advance I apologize for my English: Rarely used the vocabulary shrinks ;-)

I used the App with my Lumia 920 from version I-don't-know :-/ on... Because the app made progress, I think it does not make any sense to write about problems from then, so I will concentrate on this actual version 1.0.11.0:

Recently I played:

1. http://coord.info/GC4YXVA
  2. http://coord.info/GC2RYTN
  3. http://coord.info/GC4ZRQE
  4. http://coord.info/GC3C36A
  5. http://coord.info/GC5CABM
  6. and I beta-tested an upcoming WIG named The Walking Dead

#1 is a very simple WIG: Create six user definied zones, enter them, use some levers and if the combination is right, you will get the unlock code. Everything works fine here. Unfortunaly I can't remember, if there should be sound and if there were, but in my opinion everythinks works fine.

#2 is a little(!) bit more tricky in coding: You have an inventory, you can use some of your items, zones are given bit step-by-step; once you have to enter an area within a given time... As I know, it is without sound, so I can't say, if there would be problems; besides it works fine.

#3 is a really nice work: If you know the board game Scotland Yard, the concept is explained fast: You have about 30-40 zones in the historic district of Berlin Spandau. As you enter one zone at the beginning, a spy also does randomly at the other side of the district. Your mission: Get him! As you move, he moves too, so you have to force him to enter the same zone as you: For your help you have ten fences, he can't pace. So you have to enclose him with them. If you leave a zone, a sound is being played; enter one and another sound is coming up. The game went fine, the sounds were being played, no crashes, just fun.

#4 Short: The disaster!

This WIG got mote then 200 favorite points, but not by us! We were really p*ssed off at the end. Different from the above WIGs you had to answer questions in the game; therefore you had to keyboard them. Every single time after an user input, the WIG stopped to react: New zones, which should appear, did not; if you want to interact with sth. the item/person did not react (we had an iPhone-user with us; here everything works fine but the sound: He had none, we had;-))

The solution was: Saving, quit the app, load the savegame - about 20 times for an 30min-WIG!

#5 was a simple WIG again: But you had to answer a security question. You have to read some numbers from a statue and enter them in-game. After the input, no interaction was possible - again, same as before!

The rest works fine, but we recognized, that user inputs are the worst for the app!

Last but not least there was the beta-test: The owner tested it for Android and everythings works fine - not on the Windows Phone :-( There are moving zones (zombies, boats), a counter is running, variables are saved and depending on your choices the game reacts different (if you save some guy, he will help you afterwards; if you let him die, he could not ;-) and many more)...

As some other guy mentioned before, the GPS jumped: Standing still, the app (the phone) tells, I was moving and moving... Some graphics could not be scaled correct. On (too) many calculations the app crashes (moving zombie horde = zone behind me; moving boat = zone in front of me; me moving). Some zones were visible as there were not at Android (and they should be invisible).

Is it clear, that a large part is in the hands of the WIG developer, but especially the user inputs seems to be a general problem.

Another note: It would be fine, if the user could choose which map he wants to use: As the Bing/Here road maps are saved locally on the phone, sometimes I want to use them and NOT the satelitte maps, which need a connection.

And do not forget: Everything above is "Meckern auf hohem Niveau" (complaining on a high comfort level)

Well, after a few months with the app, I experiencedw it with some different wherigos around europe. I think it works well now, the map is very useful and the app itself is easy to use and to understand. I only had a crash problem during a cartridge, but probably it was my phone and not the app. Anyway, many thanks again to Mangatome for making this possible!

Update - Version 1.0.12

Here's a small update which fixes various problems described by people in the previous posts.

Namely:

• Compliance with OnClick
  • Fixed navigation problems after inputs
  • Fixed task icons not showing up

How to update

As usual:

•  
  • For developer-unlocked phones: simply grab the XAP file and deploy it.
  • For the rest: if you have the app already, simply update with the Marketplace app or browsing to the app's page. If not, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

Update - Version 1.0.13

Here's an update! And it focuses on usability, namely thanks to an improved user experience on the start page.

The design now mirrors the phonebook app so that users will have a familar experience.

The all tab features all installed cartridges, and the recent tab with tiles will only display up to the 8 most recently played cartridges.

mini_23814710131.png mini_78374710132.png

This update also features a fix for the player+device page that gave improper data, and a workaround for old Urwigo emulator detection code that should make older cartridges more playable.

How to update

As usual:

•  
  • For the rest: if you have the app already, simply update with the Marketplace app or browsing to the app's page. If not, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

I had a few issues with these cartridges:

GC598HZ in Hawaii, I tried to do it at my homeyard in Finland, it supposed to work that way too. But one of the squares said it was over 10 000km from me so no luck there.

GC1PZH5 I tried to get one Wherigo from New Zealand but after two successful stages this cartridge didn´t want to play with me anymore. Had a bit of hurry so I can´t really remember what was the issue there... :(

GC1KN3H also in Auckland NZ, with this I didn´t even get started, it didn´t show my next goal so I couldn´t start searching those items at all.

All these with Lumia 620. Next I updated my phone´s apps and didn´t read this thread so I wasn´t able to sync OneDrive... <_< but I can´t blame geowigo for that. Maybe I read it next time before updating :P

So now again all loaded and ready to go, next for searching one Wherigo from Australia :D

I've updated to Version 1.0.13.

Now I can't see one of my cartridges on the start page any more (GC3Z2D1).

I think it's because that cartridge begins with the "1" character.

Could you please add support for cartridges beginning with digits?

In general, I am very happy with Geowigo.

Thanks for implementing it...

Edited by Geo68

I've updated to Version 1.0.13.

Now I can't see one of my cartridges on the start page any more (GC3Z2D1).

I think it's because that cartridge begins with the "1" character.

Could you please add support for cartridges beginning with digits?

Dang. I forgot... Thanks for reporting.

I released a hotfix (version 1.0.13.1) that should be deployed on the store in the next 2 hours.

Owners of developer-unlocked phones can get it here.

Update - Version 1.0.14

Yesterday and today, I released a new update that fixes some problems with location.

The most visible feature is that now, a message will warn players if they try to start a cartridge when there is no or poor location accuracy.

There is also some minor usability changes here and there.

How to update

As usual:

•  

Today I have put two new catridges on my onedrive.

They do not appear on or in the application.

Maybe because of the update?

I will try to locate the original email an reinstall the app.

Played three cartridges already without problems.

Fancycode

This sounds like the same problem others had. Just do a clean install of the app. If you have a developer-unlocked phone just remove the app and reinstall it using the link above.

4) http://coord.info/GC2HT08

I couldn’t play the last cartridge. After the second task, the following message appeared

http://s14.directupload.net/images/141104/udrpcqvx.png

and the cartridge was closed. But this was the second task and there were many tasks to do. :blink:

After I deleted the savegames of this cartridge it worked well. But this time I came to Task 3 and it broke off again with the same message.

I recently reported that the last cartridge I've played (GC2HT08) doesn't work.

Because the WIG has 2 Finals, I played it again two weeks ago.

And this time it worked without any problems !!

Lately I've played 2 more WIGs. And booth worked fine, fast and there were no problems.

I love this player! B)

Some iPhone users are envious. :P

Edited by Heisenberg_

Update - Version 1.0.15

I am deploying today an update that focuses on usability. You will notice better UX to navigate to a cartridge's starting location, and more stylish, blurred backgrounds during play.

I also fixed two rare crashes which have been occurring for a long time.

How to update

As usual:

•  

On another note, I want to announce that from now on, I will not invite testers as frequently as I used to.

When you send me an email or a message, I will keep your request and will process it next time I release a new version (ca. within a month).

I'm sorry for not replying immediately, but there is simply too many invite requests at the moment.

All I can say is that I process every e-mail and you will receive an invitation within weeks.

Have permanent problem: If I want remove old cartridge from phone, delete it on onedrive web, but erasing is not synchronized to phone. Now I have on onedrive cca 3 carts waiting for play, synced in phone, but in phone already remains ALL carts, that I played in past too! Need any method, how manually delete it on phone device directly.

Tom.

Have permanent problem: If I want remove old cartridge from phone, delete it on onedrive web, but erasing is not synchronized to phone. Now I have on onedrive cca 3 carts waiting for play, synced in phone, but in phone already remains ALL carts, that I played in past too! Need any method, how manually delete it on phone device directly.

Tom.

Actually deletions should be synchronized. But I'm not surprised if they are not, the OneDrive syncing mechanism is not very good.

One of the things I'm going to work on next is a refactoring of the provider system for all WF.Player apps. This will solve your problem and also add syncing from Wherigofoundation.com.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, you may have a bricked app because of update 1.0.12. I suggest you remove the app, reinstall it again, link to OneDrive again, and deletions should work again next time.

Edited by Mangatome

Today I tried my first Wherigo cache. I own Nokia Lumia 820 WP 8.1. I was very pleased with the application. I only encountered two minor problems. One with a compass, it pointed in a different direction. Sometimes by 180 degrees. Maybe it is the phone problem but in the car the navigation works great. The second problem was that I couldn't listen to audio placed in the story (not needed to finish the cache).

Thank you for this great app. I cannot wait do more Wherigo caches.

Today I tried my first Wherigo cache. I own Nokia Lumia 820 WP 8.1. I was very pleased with the application. I only encountered two minor problems. One with a compass, it pointed in a different direction. Sometimes by 180 degrees. Maybe it is the phone problem but in the car the navigation works great. The second problem was that I couldn't listen to audio placed in the story (not needed to finish the cache).

Thank you for this great app. I cannot wait do more Wherigo caches.

Hey. Thanks for reporting the problem.

What cartridge was it? I'll try to reproduce the audio problem.

Sorry for not posting the cartridge name right away, it was GC4QT3W.

I tried on the emulator. I'm getting a sound when I go to the first and second zones (the second one is "Hospoda").

Did you hear them or not at all? (If not, there might be something wrong with your phone. Maybe not enough memory left in the isolated storage? If yes, then I need more instructions from you to reproduce the bug.)

I tried on the emulator. I'm getting a sound when I go to the first and second zones (the second one is "Hospoda").

Did you hear them or not at all? (If not, there might be something wrong with your phone. Maybe not enough memory left in the isolated storage? If yes, then I need more instructions from you to reproduce the bug.)

I did not hear them at all. I even tried to replay them after finishing the cache and couldn't hear anything.

I did not hear them at all. I even tried to replay them after finishing the cache and couldn't hear anything.

Sounds to me like the cache wasn't built for this file on your phone. It could be that you don't have enough storage left? Can you check?

Sounds to me like the cache wasn't built for this file on your phone. It could be that you don't have enough storage left? Can you check?

I have more than 1GB of storage left. Maybe it is the phone issue. I will try some other cartridge and will see.

10 minutes later and the audio files are working.

Edited by OtaKre

How can I backup my saved games from my Phone?

I have to change my mobile to new one and i don't want to lost all my started (and not finished) games.

Is it possible to do it?

Create a folder called "Uploads" inside the Geowigo folder in your OneDrive.

See full instructions and info the release post for version 1.0.11.

(I'd like to mention once again that I know this is tedious and undocumented. I will come up with a better UX by public release.)

Update - Version 1.0.16

Happy new year everybody!

I'm rolling a special update to the app. It's special because it's more about removing things than adding some.

The app will no longer require the permission to retrieve "phone identity". This information was not useful to have, so removing it is going to be an improvement for the users' privacy.

On another note, maps and OneDrive synchronization will not work anymore for all previous versions of the app.

If you already have the app installed, you should completely remove it and install it again.

How to update

•  
  • For the rest: if you have the app already, uninstall it and install it again by browsing to the app's page. If not, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

Hello, first of all thanks for the invitation.

I'd like to know if there is a possibility to translate this app to other languages, in my case I can help with Czech translation.

Hey. Not yet. Translations will be the final step right before public release. We're not there yet.

I'm receiving lots of offers for translations; to all of you: thank you.

I will release a statement whenever translation will begin.

I will need all the help I can get at this point :)

Hi,

I want to try this app, and I got it installed, but can't find any cartridges. I've only tried with my own (GC4VR32) for now, but IsoStoreSpy stops working (tried several versions), and the Geowigo app can't find any cartridges on my OneDrive. The cartridge is named halden_by.gwc in a Wherigo folder. Tried with the file on the root of oneDrive as well, but no luck.

Geowigo syncs with OneDrive, but finds nothing. I've only ever tried version 1.0.16.0 on the phone, and I've reinstalled it, no luck. I've installed it by deploying the .xap.

Any help would be much appreciated, and thanks for the work put into the app. :) If only we had such an active developer on Android. :D

Edit: Lumia 625 on Windows Phone 8.1 Denim.

Edited by vatvedt

Update - Version 1.0.17

Hey! I've released a minor update to the app. It fixes a rare crash.

I'm aware of some problems with saving, history and OneDrive synchronization.

All these things are going to be reworked separately.

How to update

• For the rest: if you have the app already, uninstall it and install it again by browsing to the app's page. If not, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

Hello,

Today I tested the app with my Lumia 830.

I'm from Germany and I played the following Wherigo http://coord.info/GC4GY0E with 1.0.17.0

There where some problems with the displaying of the German umlaut (äüö, see pictures) and the app crashed two times while being in standby modus. Thanks to regularly securing we could move along speedy.

Here are two pictures.... http://1drv.ms/16HjOzI

The apps usage is very intuitive and the mistakes with the umlauts are neglectable.

We have quite a big geocaching community in Germany and I'm sure they would appreciate the app as well. Hence, I would like to help you to translate the App. So please let me know if you are interested.

Many thanks,

BeKiBoKi

Edited by BeKiBoKi

But a question about saving: Do i neet an online connection for saving a game?

1. Create a folder called "Uploads" in your Geowigo folder on your OneDrive.
  2. Run a cartridge
  3. Save manually by dragging the bottom menu upwards. There's a "save game" menu item there.
  4. Quit the cartridge. Your savegame is uploaded to your OneDrive.

This UX will be improved later.

You don't need an online connection to save. Saves made offline will be uploaded to OneDrive whenever you start the app and are online.

Please refer to this post for full description of how OneDrive sync works right now.

We have quite a big geocaching community in Germany and I'm sure they would appreciate the app as well. Hence, I would like to help you to translate the App. So please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't find the images.

Regarding translation, the app is not ready to be translated. I'll issue an email to all beta testers when it is.

Edited by Mangatome