Wherigo Foundation: Windows Phone Player development thread

Mangatome

Thanks for the 1.0.3 update. I quickly played around with the UI and it seems that the compass offset of +90 degrees is a "feature" on Nokia phones (tested with Lumia 1020 and 1520). Do you mind if I post an issue report on Github?

In general you can of course; in this particular case, I am actively investigating this issue so it wouldn't change much. Besides, there is already a report for this problem.

Also, I have the problem on my Samsung Omnia 7, so I guess it's not limited to Nokia. I suspect a problem in the Wherigo Foundation's Core.

I've just found a problem in the previous version of the app which I am not sure if it has been fixed.

The "Check for updates" option still says that version 1.0.2 is most recent. Even though version 1.0.3 was released today.

Yes. I decided to remove the check for update feature in 1.0.3. It was only for beta purposes anyway.

So older versions will now inform the user that "check for updates" failed, and invite them to consult this thread instead.

In the store release, whenever this happens, the marketplace app will take care of updating anyway...

Update - Version 1.0.4

Hey guys! Here's a new update.

This one is getting released quicker than usual, because I wanted to reach a more or less stable build fast.

I have other projects, that will require my focusing in the coming months.

So in the meantime please test this app as much as possible, and report as much as possible about bugs, problems, disconfort, etc.

This update focuses on playability and usability.

The biggest improvement is that the Compass and Bearings are now Correct! Pfew!

You'll also find it clearer what the app is doing when it hangs. Loading, saving, all those time-consuming things are now better reported.

I've also made SkyDrive downloading a bit more resilient. Please tell me if you still experience crashes with this.

How to update

As usual:

For developer-unlocked phones: simply grab the XAP file and deploy it.

For the rest: if you have the app already, simply update with the Marketplace app. If not, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

Update - Version 1.0.5

In the past 10 days or so, it was impossible for me to add new beta-testers on the Windows Phone Store because of a bug in the store system.

The problem is now fixed, so I figured I might as well release whatever bug fix I have worked on since last release.

So this updates' changes are:

• Fixed cartridge sounds not playing.
  • Added support for FDL sounds (cartridges compiled for Garmin).

How to update

As usual:

•  
  • For developer-unlocked phones: simply grab the XAP file and deploy it.
  • For the rest: if you have the app already, simply update with the Marketplace app. If not, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

Today I tried version 1.0.5 on cartridges http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=4d4c5241-b44e-42be-9824-fb92e0a048b4 and went without any problems

Super, thanks for the feedback.

Keep on trying with more cartridges! :)

Will this player eventually port over to Android & iOS?

Yes. Development for iOS and Android is happening in parallel, led by Charlenni. See this topic.

Update - Version 1.0.6

Hallo everybody!

Here's a new update to the app. This update furthermore improves the stability of the app.

2 major bugs and 8 rare crashes are fixed in this release. From there on, I will also receive the name of the cartridge that was played when the app crashed, so that I can try and reproduce the bug easier.

In this version I'm playing a little bit with usability.

I've increased some font sizes so that the texts are easier to read.

We're closing in to a stable 1.0 build.

Once the app is usable enough with pretty much any cartridge out there, I will shift focus to some big features, among which live map, live API integration, background updates (for Windows Phone 8 only), etc... Those things together will mark version 1.1 and it will be the first official release of the app on the Marketplace.

Thanks everybody for testing and giving feedback!

How to update

As usual:

• For the rest: if you have the app already, simply update with the Marketplace app. If not, send me an e-mail to get an invite. (If you have sent me an e-mail already, I am coming back to you shortly.)

Update - Version 1.0.7

I've deployed a new update to the app.

It fixes some rare crashes and improves the usability of the app in the case of an input that loops until the right answer is given.

How to update

As usual:

•  

Edited by Mangatome

Hi, i tried the app today with the only Wherigo cache in Milan (although it was disabled). The app worked very well with every step except in the end: in the last step it was needed to answer a question, but the window with the questione and the bar where the answer had to be inserted didn't appear. After a few tries it started appearting and disappearing in less than a second. After some more tries it appeared and stayed, apparently fixed, and i could insert the answer. After a while it crashed, but then it worked again, saying that the input was in loop (probably it didn't regidtered the answer from before).

A suggestion: it would be useful to delete if we could a single element from the history, instead of keeping them all or clearing the history completely.

The app is very good anyway, I liked it a lot. I hope it will improve again and again. Thanks for your work Mangatome!

Edited by ilTozzo

Cannot get cartridges to load onto phone Windows phone 7 Samsung Focus. Set up on OneDrive.

1) Which XAP file do I need? Most updated file says for Windows phone 8. Still work?

2) I tried to download XAP file to phone, but says 'Can't download file. Windows Phone doesn't support this file type'. I saw a post earlier on this thread about this.

Thanks. Looking forward to getting this up and running.

Hi, i tried the app today with the only Wherigo cache in Milan (although it was disabled). The app worked very well with every step except in the end: in the last step it was needed to answer a question, but the window with the questione and the bar where the answer had to be inserted didn't appear. After a few tries it started appearting and disappearing in less than a second. After some more tries it appeared and stayed, apparently fixed, and i could insert the answer. After a while it crashed, but then it worked again, saying that the input was in loop (probably it didn't regidtered the answer from before).

A suggestion: it would be useful to delete if we could a single element from the history, instead of keeping them all or clearing the history completely.

The app is very good anyway, I liked it a lot. I hope it will improve again and again. Thanks for your work Mangatome!

I'm aware of the bug and crash you experienced. I've received crash data about it, so I will try to reproduce and fix it.

Your suggestion about history is also duly noted. It's been planned anyway.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

Cannot get cartridges to load onto phone Windows phone 7 Samsung Focus. Set up on OneDrive.

1) Which XAP file do I need? Most updated file says for Windows phone 8. Still work?

2) I tried to download XAP file to phone, but says 'Can't download file. Windows Phone doesn't support this file type'. I saw a post earlier on this thread about this.

Thanks. Looking forward to getting this up and running.

You don't need to download a XAP file from your phone.

You should instead send me a private message with the e-mail address your phone is registered to, and I will send you an invite for the beta version of the app on the Marketplace.

If your phone is developer-unlocked, you can also download the XAP file from your computer and deploy it on your phone using Zune and the Windows Phone SDK.

Hi,

I used Geowigo with two cartridges in London last week, GC4CJHK and GC51BA6. I was offline so it might have affected as back home I always have data connection on. Both times I had problems in getting the app to stay on, it crashed several times in both cases. In the beginning after a few seconds it just disappeared and came back to the program list of my phone. But after it got started, it worked flawlessly to the end in both games. The version was 1.0.6 and phone Lumia 620

So thanks again Mangatome for this app, I´m very pleased in using it :D

First attempt to use this app: fail :(

We're not sure is it the app or the cartridge : http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=7758b479-f0e9-4c71-9140-345a4bc6200e

We got several times an error, but in French (that's why I suspect the cartrdige) : "Ne pas utiliser un simulateur" (please do not use an emulator).

Of course, we weren't. We then had an indication (in English) that the cartridge had requested the game to stop. We haven't been able to restore from saved (or autosaved) games: we bumped into the same error.

According to the logs on the Wherigo, a couple of persons got that "simulateur" error (they don't mention their device).

I don't know is it the cartridge, or the app which is perceived by the cartridge as being an emulator.

Happy to give further details if needed.

We got several times an error, but in French (that's why I suspect the cartrdige) : "Ne pas utiliser un simulateur" (please do not use an emulator).

Strangely, and ironically, I was not able to reproduce this problem using a Windows Phone 7.8 emulator...

The cartridge seems to run...

What version of the cartrige did you download? Pocket PC?

Another feedback, now less related to a specific cartridge. I've loaded my cartridges on onedrive and synced them; they were successfully transfered to my 1020.

But it seems the cartridges are displayed horizontally (3 colums x 2 rows for me). According to me, the user should scroll vertically to browse the cartridges, and not horizontally. This because it's too close to a swipe to the left gesture.

It's my personal opinion, but a vertical scroll among the cartridges would feel more natural from a WP8 user point of view, don't you think?

Hi Mangatome,

finally I tried your Geowigo app on a more complex cartridge and I have some feedback information.

There were some problems which I came across. I will start with this cartridge: UFO nad Jihlavou . It is a longer game with many tasks and possibilities what to do so it was ideal for testing :-) Right at the beginning there was a small problem with one item from the inventory when I had not access to an action needed for further progress. After I had restarted the app, everything went fine for a long time. After approx. 20 minutes, when approaching one of the zones, the app crashed. Unfortunately, although I had seen a text about saving cartridge several seconds before the crash, there was only my “by-hand” saved game. When I started up the cartridge again I had to go back a little and then it was working fine again. A crucial problem appeared when I had in my inventory more than 5 items (see picture), total amount of items was 8, only first 5 items were accessible). By contrast to other menus it was not possible to scroll to items which were not currently displayed on the screen. That was actually end of my game because I was not able to fulfil one of the tasks.

inventory.png

I found out some other more general bugs. From time to time the app crashed during starting up. Next time it was OK. I also experienced problems with compass calibration. I was not able to calibrate compass correctly so the “Calibrate your compass screen” was displaying again and again. In another geocaching app the compass is working quite fine, usually. In spite of that I am not sure if it is a software or hardware problem.

I also tried another easier cartridge - Braaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinss .

Here everything works very well. There was only small problem with text overflowing out of the screen (on the right side) in the part describing rules of the game (see picture). Definitely there should be more text on the right side.

long_text.png

I also agree with the opinion of H_M, that the vertical scroll of downloaded cartridge would be more “user-friendly”. I would also appreciate if there is any possibility to upload selected saved games back to OneDrive folder so that I do not loose unfinished longer games when having some troubles with the phone. An access to Wherigo log files (*.gwl) would be nice too.

Anyway, I have to say that you are doing a great job and the app works quite well. Thank you.

Glassicc

PS: I have Nokia Lumia 920 with Black Update, Geowigo version 1.0.7.0

The other log alluding to that "simulateur" bug is: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=0d345811-2eb3-430b-ab49-cc5e332fd83c

The simulation code detection does not seem to be any different from Urwigo's standard, so I don't really know what is at fault here.

Did you try several times?

What happens if you start the cartridge from your home right now?

According to me, the user should scroll vertically to browse the cartridges, and not horizontally. This because it's too close to a swipe to the left gesture.

I agree. Actually I have redesigned the main screen on paper some weeks ago.

In the new design the main screen will retain up to 6 tiles of the most recently played or installed cartridges. The rest will be shown as vertical "long list" (like in the default Phonebook app) and in the history.

Hi Mangatome,

finally I tried your Geowigo app on a more complex cartridge and I have some feedback information.

Thanks a lot, I will look into all that. Keep on making it crash!

The logs have not been implemented yet, but they soon should be.

Upload of savegames and logs to OneDrive is trickier.

Actually, OneDrive is only meant to be a temporary solution for beta-testers.

The app is intended to hit Marketplace with support of the Wherigo Foundation's Live API, thanks to whom cartridge download, cartridge unlocking and all sorts of cool things will happen directly from the app.

So the less work I put into OneDrive, the more I can focus on the other stuff like mapping, Live API, etc...

Should I nevertheless still consider OneDrive as an feature, even after release?

The app worked very well with every step except in the end: in the last step it was needed to answer a question, but the window with the questione and the bar where the answer had to be inserted didn't appear. After a few tries it started appearting and disappearing in less than a second. After some more tries it appeared and stayed, apparently fixed, and i could insert the answer.

I finally got around and fixed all of that (I hope!), so 1.0.8 should behave better.

The simulation code detection does not seem to be any different from Urwigo's standard, so I don't really know what is at fault here.

Did you try several times?

What happens if you start the cartridge from your home right now?

Right now, a new game starts seamlessly, asking me to go to la Tour Saint Jean, as it did on the ground. However, when I try to restore an automatic or manual savegame, the simulateur error pops again.

@H_M: The answer to your problem is, that the cartridge is made with an older version of Urwigo. It checkes for the simulator by comparing the accuracy of the GPS signal with 3 m. If it is 3 m, it assumes, that you play the cartridge on an simulator. So, if you try it again, it could be, that you have better luck. Perhaps you could go to a place with bad signal (high value for accuracy) and try it there again. :rolleyes:

@H_M: The answer to your problem is, that the cartridge is made with an older version of Urwigo. It checkes for the simulator by comparing the accuracy of the GPS signal with 3 m. If it is 3 m, it assumes, that you play the cartridge on an simulator. So, if you try it again, it could be, that you have better luck. Perhaps you could go to a place with bad signal (high value for accuracy) and try it there again. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the explanation.We can't return easily to the location of the cache :( Should I recommend to the owner of the cache to upgrade the cartridge with a more recent version of Urwigo?

Thanks for the explanation.We can't return easily to the location of the cache :( Should I recommend to the owner of the cache to upgrade the cartridge with a more recent version of Urwigo?

You don't need to go back to the starting location. You should see this behavior even when you start the cartridge now. The only thing, that should be the same is the accuracy of the position, which must be 3 m.

Yes, it would be better to say this to the author, so he could update her/his cartridge.

Thanks a lot, I will look into all that. Keep on making it crash!

The logs have not been implemented yet, but they soon should be.

Upload of savegames and logs to OneDrive is trickier.

Actually, OneDrive is only meant to be a temporary solution for beta-testers.

The app is intended to hit Marketplace with support of the Wherigo Foundation's Live API, thanks to whom cartridge download, cartridge unlocking and all sorts of cool things will happen directly from the app.

So the less work I put into OneDrive, the more I can focus on the other stuff like mapping, Live API, etc...

Should I nevertheless still consider OneDrive as an feature, even after release?

I have no idea how difficult is to integrate possibility of saving of cartridges on OneDrive (or anywhere else) so if you think it is not worth doing it, I have no problem with it :-) I am a bit "old-fashioned" so I like when I can see and back-up my files somewhere outside my phone. I know some cartridges that are very difficult to finish all at once. My point was just to have a copy of saved unfinished game somewhere for the case something go wrong with the phone. But it is definitely not a "must-have" feature. Maybe later, when you release final version of the player, you can consider this again, if there is more people interested in this feature.

I've tried at 80km the same cartridge. Even with a good accuracy, I don't get the error. However, I get it when I lock the device or switch to another task. This shouldn't happen as it prevents from reading a SMS or check the internet for example.

Hello,

Today I played http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC45F22_darkwood-ppp11?guid=0bdfbf17-072b-4111-bcb0-1b441bcd2917

There is a problem with calling a saved game. I always had to terminate the application, resume, and then accomplish the task.

Of the fifth stage stopped working.

I use version 1.0.7

This was the first cassette with the problem, otherwise goes OK

The game wants answers to the challenges. In stage 2 is 3, 4th stage is spruce and fifth stage tresta.I do not know jestki it was not the cartridge, while it was a moment not. I'll try it again sometime

Update - Version 1.0.8

I've deployed a new update to the app.

The UI issues that have been mentioned by Glassicc are fixed.

I still have problems with disappearing inputs and those random crashes that everyone loves.

Those have to be the most resilient bugs I've ever worked on! The battle continues.

How to update

As usual:

•  

A suggestion: could we validate the "beta disclaimer" once per version? It's a bit annoying to agree with the disclaimer at every launch according to me.

Although I understand the annoyance, I will not do that.

As long as the app will be in beta, I will focus on fixing experience breaking stuff like crashes or navigational problems, and adding very much needed features (mapping, etc.)

The disclamer will entirely go away when we get out of beta. :)

Hi i have just PM'ed you Mangatome - would love to be one of your testers :) Thank you

I received that.

Because my time is limited, I'm adding people and sending invites in batches.

This happens around once a week or every 10 days when I'm really busy.

You'll be in next batch and will receive an email with further instructions.

And for everybody: when you send me a message to ask for an invite, don't forget to send your Windows Phone Live ID email address too!

Hi,

I tried this yesterday and i want to say thank you for doing this as i have now completed my 1st Wherigo :)

It didn't crash at all for me but i do have a couple of ideas if you like.

My ideas are once you save the game when you save it again - I like to save after each way point that way i know if it crashes it shouldn't affect me much. It would be nice when you go to save it again that you can override the last save so on the page where it shows in "recent" you don't have all the saves you have done through out and only see the 1 save that you can keep on saving back onto for that cartridge.

Also would be nice if there was a way to delete a cartridge from the app instead of having to go back to your "skydrive"

Anyway they are just my ideas

Thanks so much again - I'm very happy with it

Hi Mangatome,

thank you for developing Wherigo for WP include v7.8!

I tried your GeoWigo 1.0.8 on my Nokia Lumia 800 (WP 7.8).

First I selected (for testing) Wherigo, that is possible to play anywhere.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=d9b5cc0a-d31d-40df-b54e-ca207829cd4a

But it crash after I try accomplish first task. I tried vestion for Pocket PC and fotr Oragon - app crash in both versions.

Wherigo is in Czech language only - I can help you (if you will be intersted) to guide you to first task.

Regards

David / Dejwy

I tried this yesterday and i want to say thank you for doing this as i have now completed my 1st Wherigo :)

It didn't crash at all for me but i do have a couple of ideas if you like.

Thanks for the feedback :)

About your two ideas - the first one about savegames has been in the back of my head for some time.

There will be work done on this later.

For your second idea, I'll think of better ways to manage cartridges.

Thanks for telling.

Hi Mangatome,

thank you for developing Wherigo for WP include v7.8!

I tried your GeoWigo 1.0.8 on my Nokia Lumia 800 (WP 7.8).

First I selected (for testing) Wherigo, that is possible to play anywhere.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=d9b5cc0a-d31d-40df-b54e-ca207829cd4a

But it crash after I try accomplish first task. I tried vestion for Pocket PC and fotr Oragon - app crash in both versions.

Wherigo is in Czech language only - I can help you (if you will be intersted) to guide you to first task.

Regards

David / Dejwy

I've tried to run it but indeed I'm not sure what to do.

You can send me instructions in PM if you like.

Update - Version 1.0.9

I've invited a whole bunch of people to the beta, and for the occasion decided to release a mini-update with a bug I worked hard to fix.

You probably won't notice the change at all because the bug impacted navigation in rare cases and in only some cartridges.

All those moments where an Input appeared and disappeared were because of this bug, and after much rework on the whole navigation process it should be better now.

When I get more time, I will go ahead and fix another tough bug: a random crash that lots of people are experiencing.

The next feature to be implemented will be maps. No ETA for now.

How to update

As usual:

Edited by Mangatome

Update - Version 1.0.9

I've invited a whole bunch of people to the beta, and for the occasion decided to release a mini-update with a bug I worked hard to fix.

You probably won't notice the change at all because the bug impacted navigation in rare cases and in only some cartridges.

All those moments where an Input appeared and disappeared were because of this bug, and after much rework on the whole navigation process it should be better now.

When I get more time, I will go ahead and fix another tough bug: a random crash that lots of people are experiencing.

The next feature to be implemented will be maps. No ETA for now.

How to update

As usual:

Got it now! I'll be in Munchen for the Giga Event, so I'll try some new cartridges, I hope this will work fine! Thanks Mangatome!

Today I did my first Wherigo and it was also the first time that I used this app. All worked fine so far. 2 or 3 times, the navigation hang. But I could solve it by going back and into the task again.

Later I opened the cam for taking a picture. I went back to the app and all was gone. But I haven't closed the app. The automated savegames haven't worked. I will save it by myself next time ��

My son ran then around and did it all the 2nd time ��

You did a good work with this app. It's good to handle. But it would be nice to have a map for the navigation. It's helpful some times.

Edited by BTViper

I have a question. Is it somehow possible to pull .gws and .gwl files out of the phone? Or sync those to OneDrive?

If your phone is developer enabled, and the Windows Phone SDK is installed, you can get those files using an isolated storage file explorer.

That's the only way right now, but I added this to the list of features I need to implement. :)

Hi there

Thanks for adding me. I am trying to play this Wherigo: http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/download.aspx?CGUID=eb88af50-be22-4649-bcc7-45e892cda98b

I go to the Game box in the player inventory and when i want to choose "Setup Game" the app closes. Not sure if this has to do with the fact that the Wherigo is setting up points using code. Can you let me know what the problem could be.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks

Erenei

I have created my own cartridge and I have added multiple "save game" calls on it, but it seems like no save games are being created. At least I cannot see the save games being added to the saved games list. I can see only the manually saved games. The cartridge is http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=4a4480e7-865d-41bf-9d59-756edc40f767.

I am still annoyed due to the missing resume functionality (on screen unlock) and IMHO the app should not leave beta until the issue is fixed or worked around somehow. On my cartridge I tried to overcome the issue by adding the "save game" calls, but it did not work (btw. the same cartridge works fine on an old Nokia S60 phone with OpenWIG). May I ask why the cartridge must be stopped on resume? If it is really necessary to do something on resume, please, restore the recent save game because that would really help at the current situation.

Also, the app has stucked on "stopping cartridge" once every time I have been playing a Wherigo and the only way to break out is to press windows-button and then restart the app.

I am trying to play this Wherigo: http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/download.aspx?CGUID=eb88af50-be22-4649-bcc7-45e892cda98b

I go to the Game box in the player inventory and when i want to choose "Setup Game" the app closes. Not sure if this has to do with the fact that the Wherigo is setting up points using code. Can you let me know what the problem could be.

I failed to reproduce.

Does it happen every time?

I have created my own cartridge and I have added multiple "save game" calls on it, but it seems like no save games are being created. At least I cannot see the save games being added to the saved games list. I can see only the manually saved games. The cartridge is http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=4a4480e7-865d-41bf-9d59-756edc40f767.

The link is down, I couldn't download it.

You can send me a GWC file by e-mail, I will try it.

I am still annoyed due to the missing resume functionality (on screen unlock) and IMHO the app should not leave beta until the issue is fixed or worked around somehow. On my cartridge I tried to overcome the issue by adding the "save game" calls, but it did not work (btw. the same cartridge works fine on an old Nokia S60 phone with OpenWIG). May I ask why the cartridge must be stopped on resume? If it is really necessary to do something on resume, please, restore the recent save game because that would really help at the current situation.

The reason why the cartridge is stopped on resume is simply that I didn't have time yet to take care of this problem.

This is far from being a trivial problem, since Windows Phone can kill an app (tombstone) anytime it is in the background.

WP7 lacks long-term background services, so if the app is too long deactivated on a WP7, or battery is low, the current state of the game is simply impossible to restore. The best I could do is indeed to restore the last saved game, if any. But that's UX breaking anyway.

WP8 does have location background services, but I own neither a WP8 nor Windows 8, so I can't write this feature right now. It will happen before the app goes out of beta.

The next version will help a little bit by preserving the game state as long as the app is not tombstoned. If you switch to another app for some minutes and you have enough battery, you'll still be able to continue your game.

That should be enough for now.

Also, the app has stucked on "stopping cartridge" once every time I have been playing a Wherigo and the only way to break out is to press windows-button and then restart the app.

Did it happen once or every time? Only with one cartrige? If so, which one?