Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

Fish Ladders

18 posts in this topic

I'm dealing with the idea of a new category: Fish Ladders (also known as Fish Pass or Fish Steps).

Do you know those structures? Shurely you do.

I think they are very interesting. They are created in different designs and with different materials.

They are used to give fishes and other water-living animals the chance to come accross artificial barriers (such as dams and locks).

Some of the Fish Ladders have also information boards to explain.

Some more informations and several pictures can be found at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_ladder

Edited by Tante.Hossi

I like the idea, I have one in my home town.

Let's go with this idea. :grin:

A nice idea. They are easy to identify and very distinct; there are not too many, not too few (at least in my home area). Not WOW in all caps, but I like it.

Yes, I also like the idea.

I saw very interesting Fish Ladders on Rhein and in Iceland. ;-)

There are other official ways of getting fish over a dam wall such as fish lifts. The NSW Department of Primary Industries lists 7 types of fishways.

Perhaps change the category to Fishways so as to encompass all the types you may come across in your travels.

There are other official ways of getting fish over a dam wall such as fish lifts. The NSW Department of Primary Industries lists 7 types of fishways.

Perhaps change the category to Fishways so as to encompass all the types you may come across in your travels.

Here is a link to the 7 types of fishways mentioned above: http://www.dpi.nsw.g...tating/fishways

Maybe we can really use a more general term like 'Fishways'.

But I'm not sure if we should use a drop-down-list with these types as a variable.

It could be difficult to explane the differences between the types to waymarkers who want to post.

I don't think 'Fishway' is a good choice for the category name.

It is the better and more accurate term for experts, but not very common for normal persons like you and me. 'Fish Ladder' is clear and distinct, and it also implies all other methods and this can be made clear in the category description

For the same reason the Wikipedia article is called 'Fish Ladder', nobody searches a 'Fishway'.

I don't think 'Fishway' is a good choice for the category name.

It is the better and more accurate term for experts, but not very common for normal persons like you and me. 'Fish Ladder' is clear and distinct, and it also implies all other methods and this can be made clear in the category description

For the same reason the Wikipedia article is called 'Fish Ladder', nobody searches a 'Fishway'.

A very good point! I would never expect this structures behind the term 'Fishways'. But I can imagine what a 'Fish Ladder' is.

By the way: Where is the better location for this category?

Animals or Structures? What do you think?

I would prefer Animals - but this is a personal choice.

Most of the categories in the Animals department are man-made, like Zoos. Animals is the best choice in my opinion.

Two decisions from the group:

• Naming: we will keep the name 'Fish Ladders' - although 'Fishways' might be more general - but 'Fish Ladder's seems to be more intuitive and better known
  • Location for category: Animals - it seems to be the best place for animal-related categories

The group has created a category description. We are currently in the final fine-tuning. The category is likely to go in the peer review soon.

So this is the best time to say some words about our idea if you think there's something to say.

I did not know that there are also fish lifts. And now I see the fish lift picture in Wikipedia, English and German version, is from a hydroelectric power plant I recently waymarked. I was three steps from this structure and had no idea what it was. [:(] Time, to go back there again, I guess.

Two decisions from the group:

• Naming: we will keep the name 'Fish Ladders' - although 'Fishways' might be more general - but 'Fish Ladder's seems to be more intuitive and better known
  • Location for category: Animals - it seems to be the best place for animal-related categories

The group has created a category description. We are currently in the final fine-tuning. The category is likely to go in the peer review soon.

So this is the best time to say some words about our idea if you think there's something to say.

I'd say you're on the right track. When you first posted this topic, I knew exactly what a fish ladder was. I'd never heard of a fishway, or even a fish lift. I think as long as your description includes those, and the others referred to by Tuena, in your description as fitting the category, you've got a good category here.

I'd say that even though these are "structures", Animals is a better category for them. The only animal related category in Structures that I can see is "Unique Bird Houses", and of course, that could have easily fit the Animals category if the Officers chose to go that way.

Interesting category. Looking forward to it!

I've always called them by what they are as opposed to calling a fish lift a fish ladder but as long as the category covers all types will have my support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitlochry_fish_ladder

I know it as a fish ladder!

A good idea, as waymarkers could get the dam, and the fish ladder!

I remember as youngster on holiday, we visited Pitlochry dam one evening, and looked at the fish ladder. They had a counter to count how many fish went through...

Very few had gone through overnight, as the counter showed, when we visited the next day when the dam visitors centre was open to visit!

We worked hard on this category and now it's time for Peer Review!

Please vote! I hope you all agree the category is worth enough to pass Peer Review!