Central Iowa Group

WindChill

A month or so ago in the (midwest forum's) thread about conversations with the Iowa Parks Dept, Spinwebby made this comment:

"There is a group forming in Central Iowa now and its not me. GPGeocaching never intended to be "local".

I have not seen any info or mention of the group since. Does anyone have any info on the group that Spinwebby was referring to?

I can confirm that spinwebby was referring to me. icon_wink.gif I wasn't setting out to formally start a group, but at the same time, I would like to see more events in the area and meet with more Geocachers. I think group hunts are a blast. I think having a Geocaching 101 or similar event every few months to help the beginners on the right track is a good idea. I also think picnics and pizza parties sound like fun. I agree with Spinwebby's comments about how it's nice to have local groups.

Does it sound like I'm talking myself into it?

- Scott (smillersmiller)

Hmmm, sounds like a volunteer.... icon_wink.gif

Seriously, is there a reason to start a local organization? In addition to the "newbie treks", a local group might add legitimacy to discussions with parks people. This may help situations like the one Welch has with the district person that wants event insurance.

I would like to believe that, but I also had diluted myself into think that a state run area would welcome a geocache... icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by WindChill:

Seriously, is there a reason to start a local organization? In addition to the "newbie treks", a local group might add legitimacy to discussions with parks people. This may help situations like the one Welch has with the district person that wants event insurance.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by WindChill:

a local group might add legitimacy to discussions with parks people. This may help situations like the one Welch has with the district person that wants event insurance.

We had no problems at Big Creek SP. Give the state some credit- they haven't banned Geocaching or set policy yet. Their wait-and-see approach is giving them (and us) a chance to see how this can play out.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Tecmage (R&T):

We had no problems at Big Creek SP. Give the state some credit- they haven't banned Geocaching or set policy yet. Their wait-and-see approach is giving them (and us) a chance to see how this can play out.

I know you did, and I don't blam the state as a whole. I think its easy to tell who's causing the Problem for me icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Tecmage (R&T):

Agreed. I'm amazed that you can camp, build fires, hike, canoe, and some places 4 wheel, but Geocaching is TOO dangerous and destuctive. I guess that's what happens to the new thing on the block.

Yes, anyone can wonder in and do any number of activities. BUT, if you happen to be there to look for a geocache, someone needs to have paid for insurance and be there to watch you...!

SomeONE hasn't thought this out too well icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

Yes, anyone can wonder in and do any number of activities. BUT, if you happen to be there to look for a geocache, someone needs to have paid for insurance and be there to watch you...!

SomeONE hasn't thought this out too well icon_frown.gif

Which park is that? Again, Ames, Des Moines, Omaha (?), Story County have been great. Seems you have a few parks covered as well.

You can go there and ride an animal that weights as much as a small car (in the approved areas). You can go hunting with loaded firearms with the purpose of shooting something (during season). You can also swim, picnic, hike & bird watch, ride a bike, camp, fish and go boating.(as well as other things I cant think of, no doubt)

But to go look for a geocache someone must have paid for insurance and able to 'babysit' you.

Stop laughing, I'm not joking.

*Disclaimer- I have nothing against any of the above hobby/sports, and even participate in some of them.

Clarification might be needed here. The park may have been under the impression that, like other sports, a geocaching event was being planned for their park. This would mean that lots of people would converge on the same park on the same day with a higher risk to the participants. Just like biking events and hiking events, the land owner often requires insurance to be purchased by the event organizers. GPGeocaching purchased event and liability insurance for the Cache Bash last year, and will purchase the same insurance this year. Its not necessary for geocaching in general, but for events, you might be asked to do so if the number of people expected deems its necessity.

Please remember that when you talk with park officials and land owners, that you make sure that they understand that geocaching is an ongoing game, its not a one- or two-day event.

If you'd like me to talk with them, I'm happy to help out. In a private email message, please send me the name, phone number and email address (if possible) of land owners/managers for any parks you'd like to hide a cache. GPGeocaching cannot (and will not) take responsibility for the safety or legitimacy of any player, but we can help facilitate expansion of the game.

I think I know who you talked with at that particular park, Welch, but please confirm with me, so that I can make sure I'm dealing with the same person as you. I believe we can turn this into a positive with your help and patience. I hope to assure you that geocachers are NOT being discriminated against. Its just a matter of education, I think.

THX!!!

SpinWebby

www.gpgeocaching.com

37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by spinwebby:

Clarification might be needed here. The park may have been under the impression that, like other sports, a geocaching event was being planned for their park. This would mean that lots of people would converge on the same park on the same day with a higher risk to the participants. Just like biking events and hiking events, the land owner often requires insurance to be purchased by the event organizers. GPGeocaching purchased event and liability insurance for the Cache Bash last year, and will purchase the same insurance this year. Its not necessary for geocaching in general, but for events, you might be asked to do so if the number of people expected deems its necessity.

Yes, I know that gpgeocaching paid for insurance for the cache-bash. But the park manager knows this is not an REAL 'event', thats why she had orginally thought insurance would not be required. I also think she understands that there will not be a huge mass of people all showing up at once to look for the cache.

quote:
Please remember that when you talk with park officials and land owners, that you make sure that they understand that geocaching is an ongoing game, its not a one- or two-day event.
The supervisor is actually the one who came up the idea of making make the time length because thats a "normal" length of time. It is possiable that are mis-communications between him and myself.

Spinwebby I would appreciate your contacting either of them, perhaps you can locate the miscommunication(s) and help correct them. See my email.