Anyone know how to make my TB a discover only?

cizzors

I have a TB on the way to the International Space Station . TB5JJN1, add it to your watchlist to follow the journeys. I'm afraid of pictures appearing and the TB getting grabbed. Any suggestions on how to make it discover only and still allow me to drop it in caches? Thanks!

The only guaranteed safety for a TB is if it is in a vault instead of a cache. <_< Other than that, keep it in your pocket & have it visit caches, but never place it in a cache. :mellow: When is it going to the space station? B)

I have a TB on the way to the International Space Station . TB5JJN1, add it to your watchlist to follow the journeys. I'm afraid of pictures appearing and the TB getting grabbed. Any suggestions on how to make it discover only and still allow me to drop it in caches? Thanks!

If your TB is (virtually) grabbed, there is no real problem. Being the owner, you always have the tracking number available (to you) and you can simply grab it back on a whim, and "place" it where is currently is.

The problem with a photographed/posted tracking number is that "virtual" Discoveries can be made (false Discoveries, if that makes any sense). This is minor compared to having it actually taken.

If it's on the International Space Station, it can't be "discovered", and you can't "drop it in caches". Are you releasing copies? What exactly is your plan?

To make a TB "discover only", mark it "Collectible", then move it to your Collection, then mark it "Not Collectible". If you instead wish to have it available to drop in caches (for example, "Took It To" Visit logs), leave it in your Inventory, Not Collectible. You probably can't stop people having from their strange compulsion to click everything everywhere, so as mentioned, if it gets a "grabbed" log when you physically have it, you should grab it back.

Edited by kunarion
Current GOAL

To travel to the International Space Station Geocache GC1BE91 and then return to Chase Elementary School in Waterbury, Conneticut. This will be an epic journey and learning experience for the children of Chase School. We understand the complexity and obstacles involved in an adventure like this but remain optimistic. Regardless of the outcome we are sure to learn much more about space travel, the International Space Station and Astronauts along the way.

This travel bug is being activated by the 5th grade class of the Chase Elementary School in Waterbury, Connecticut. Astronaut Rick Mastracchio attended Chase Elementary School and is going to the International Space Station in November 2013. Our hope is that he will be able to take this travel bug with him to the International Space Station and then back to Chase Elementary School in Waterbury, CT when he returns. The first travel bug to visit the International Space Station was TB27AH8. The children of the 5th grade class of Chase Elementary School will be adding additional information to this page about NASA, Rick Mastracchio and the International Space Station as they learn about it. There will also be many pictures and updates posted on the logs as they become available.

Wow. That's quite the travel bug mission.

Good luck with it. Sounds really neat.

B.

Thanks for all your help. I have moved it to my collection for now but to drop it at the ISS I will have to move it out and then closely monitor it and grab it back if its gets grabbed by anyone that sees a picture of the tracking number. It's going to be nearly impossible to keep the tracking number secret. I encourage discoveries. I'd just rather people don't start grabbing it, I've heard of tb's getting locked up because of activity like that.

Thanks for all your help. I have moved it to my collection for now but to drop it at the ISS I will have to move it out and then closely monitor it and grab it back if its gets grabbed by anyone that sees a picture of the tracking number. It's going to be nearly impossible to keep the tracking number secret. I encourage discoveries. I'd just rather people don't start grabbing it, I've heard of tb's getting locked up because of activity like that.

TBs get locked due to virtual discoveries, not grabs.

...and then closely monitor it and grab it back if its gets grabbed by anyone that sees a picture of the tracking number. It's going to be nearly impossible to keep the tracking number secret.

You probably won't see any virtual grabs and folks have mentioned how to resolve those if you do. I might add that in addition to grabbing it back you can, and should, delete those grab logs. That goes for virtual discoveries too - just delete them. There will be a lot of folks watching this tb and they won't want to see false discovery logs.

I encourage discoveries.

I assume that you mean "real" discoveries where someone actually has the tb in their hands rather than discovering because they only see photos of the tracking number.

seeing as how the TB code was posed in this and another thread and I was able to use that code to add the TB to my watch list, pictures showing the code would be the least of their worries. I am surprised noone else caught that piece to the puzzle

All I saw was the reference number, TB5JJN1. You can write a note, or add it to a watch list, not much else without the tracking number.

seeing as how the TB code was posed in this and another thread and I was able to use that code to add the TB to my watch list, pictures showing the code would be the least of their worries. I am surprised noone else caught that piece to the puzzle

All I saw was the reference number, TB5JJN1. You can write a note, or add it to a watch list, not much else without the tracking number.

Yes, at the moment all you can do is log a note or discovery... However without that code, you can not submit the log... and since one of the concerns brought up was a picture with the TB Code showing then posting it here, I do not see how the concern over the pic can be valid anymore. What you are calling a reference number is the TB Code that you need to find the TB page when searching and to create and submit a log. I could if I wanted to, go right now and submit a false "Discovered" log because I have the TB Code. I won't however because I have not physically seen or held this TB, but that wont stop other from doing so if they wish. And if they do, that will create unnecessary logs for the owner to have to scroll through and delete if they choose.

Because of the way it is listed at the moment, all that can be done is a "Discovered" log or "Write a note" log.

Edited by SirBowen
What you are calling a reference number is the TB Code that you need to find the TB page when searching and to create and submit a log. I could if I wanted to, go right now and submit a false "Discovered" log because I have the TB Code.

You can't make a Discover log using the reference number TB5JJN1 in this thread. The reference number is not the tracking number. They are two different numbers.

Edited by kunarion
What you are calling a reference number is the TB Code that you need to find the TB page when searching and to create and submit a log. I could if I wanted to, go right now and submit a false "Discovered" log because I have the TB Code.

You can't make a Discover log using the reference number TB5JJN1 in this thread. The reference number is not the tracking number. They are two different numbers.

ok, I just tried to log a discovery log... I stand corrected. I was able to write a note using the number TB5JJN1, but can not write a Discovered It. I thought that TB5JJN1 was the TB Code as well.