Buy Oregon 600 now, or wait

ChileHead

I'm on the fence on whether I should buy a Oregon 600 now, or wait (don't need the camera version, and I plan on loading free maps so I don't need the "t" version.)

With the Monterra coming out soon (is it out?) I was wondering if the 6xx series might be reduced in price when it does. Any thoughts/speculations?

I suppose I should wait, or I can get a really good deal on a 450 now.

I was really looking forward to the 600 when it was first announced, but between the issues still being reported and finding out it has a minimum operating temperature of -15C (I live in Canada, it gets really cold here in the winter, and -15C is really not that cold), I'm now not sure if I even want one.

I also don't like the offset connection location for a lanyard.

I may still get one, but about the only thing that would make me get one this year would be a really good Black Friday sale.

My current gpsr has been acting up lately and was starting to research my next one and also narrowed it down to the Oregon 450 or 600. The big difference between the two being $200 and the 600 has Glonass which the 450 doesn't. Any idea how much the Glonass satelites affect the accuracy? Will we notice a difference, a noticable difference switching to one with Glonass?

I was really looking forward to the 600 when it was first announced, but between the issues still being reported and finding out it has a minimum operating temperature of -15C (I live in Canada, it gets really cold here in the winter, and -15C is really not that cold)

FWIW, I suspect that temp spec is an accuracy issue, not a functional issue.

That means below -15C, Garmin cannot guarantee that the GPS will meet its accuracy spec. All GPS receivers have a clock crystal which is temperature compensated. The broader the temp swing the harder it is to compensate. A cost issue.

I'm in the same situation as the OP. I've been waiting for the roll out of the 600 series and was hoping the unit would have the bugs worked out by now. I was also waiting for the price to drop a bit but it seems like Garmin has price control on its newer items. Everyone seems to have them at list price. I just bought a new model Garmin Nuvi 2597 for my car and paid list price for that, too, but that was about half what a 600 goes for.

In the meantime, my five year old 60Csx still works, but I've worn the labels off most of the buttons. As long as I can still remember which is which, I'm good to go!

Edited by bikebill77

Some month ago I bought the Oregon 650 and I am just disappointed:

- The software often hangs up so that you need to remove the batteries. At one cacher day even 13 times.

- The screen is sensitive to rain drops. If you mount it onto your mtb and cycle in rain showers, each

rain or sweat drops will be interpreted as a touch on the display.

- The touch screen does not work if you wear gloves.

Only positiv is the display which now works also at bright sun.

Summary: Oregon 650 is just crap. Buy a Oregon 400 or 450. This is much better choice.