Finding disgusting things in caches

TeamRoadrunner

Yesterday we were taking an ATV trip to a remote little pond in the Idaho Owyhee backcountry. Part of the fun was to find the lone cache there, Off The Beaten Path (GC2A7XM). We happily found it, but when we opened it a disgusting thing greeted us. Pulling the log out it was apparent by brown stains and bits stuck on the paper it had been used as toilet paper. Sarcastic comments had been written on the log, too. The comments were dated, but of course no entry on the cache page had been made. The geocaching information sheet had been urinated on as well. We are posting to show the caliber of some people out there caching. Some people are so ignorant they can't just enjoy the hunt but we don't understand the meanness of spoiling it for others. It's too bad people do idiotic things like this at all, but especially in remote areas where they think no one is around to catch them. Pictures posted on our log entry.

Edited to correct GC code for the cache. Thx stijnhommes.

Edited by TeamRoadrunner

Nothing quite as bad as you found, but recently with my granddaughter in tow, we found one that had some drawings of male anatomy and suggestions. I tore out the page with the suggestions as there were no logs on that page, but I pasted our Lucky Duck sticker over the drawing to hide as much as possible. Probably kids but I am glad that granddaughter is more interested in the swag than looking at the logbook as she probably would have asked some interesting questions. :rolleyes:

I'm always astounded when people assume that other cachers do these things. The belief that only cachers can find these is amusing.

Why didn't you post a "needs maintenance" log? :blink:

Seriously. A "needs maintenance" log will alert potential finders and the cache owner that the cache has been compromised, is not fit to touch now, and is not hidden well enough.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Because we removed the log and put in a new replacement log.

Did you clean and sterilize the container? Or at least throw the contaminated one in a garbage bag and replace it with a new, non-contaminated one?

I'm pretty sure if I found something like that, I wouldn't touch it, if possible. There's not enough hand sanitizer in the world to make me touch the contents.

The other reason for posting a "needs maintenance" log is to alert the cache owner that the location is less than ideal. That the location is now known to non-cachers who might very well find it again, and repeat their performance.

There are times when "helping" the cache owner by replacing logs isn't very helpful at all.

B.

Did you clean and sterilize the container? Or at least throw the contaminated one in a garbage bag and replace it with a new, non-contaminated one?

I'm pretty sure if I found something like that, I wouldn't touch it, if possible. There's not enough hand sanitizer in the world to make me touch the contents.

There was one that someone had urinated into. This was a plastic jar in a bird house, and the bird house itself was clean. At an RV park. I didn't realize what the still-moist material was until far too late. Gross. At a nearby water faucet, I washed for a while, figuring I'd just log a NM. Then I changed my mind. Using lots of soap & water, I cleaned out the jar, then dried it, placed a new log sheet, new swag, and logged “the contents were wet”. And I sent the gory details to the CO, who I knew would appreciate the info. But I felt that an under-reaction was just the ticket for the cache log.

Usually, I don't have detergent and water available at a cache, but this one time, it worked out pretty well, I think. For one thing, there were no surprises for the next cacher.

Edited by kunarion

Yesterday we were taking an ATV trip to a remote little pond in the Idaho Owyhee backcountry. Part of the fun was to find the lone cache there, Off The Beaten Path (GC2A7XM). We happily found it, but when we opened it a disgusting thing greeted us. Pulling the log out it was apparent by brown stains and bits stuck on the paper it had been used as toilet paper.

Busted!

One time I had the need to use the outdoor facilities. I dropped my pants, and squatted. And when I was done, as I was pulling up my pants I noticed something next to a nearby tree...