How the heck do you find a cache every 90 seconds

The Comrade

I keep seeing folks that have found over 960 caches in a single day. That's a cache every 90 seconds.

C'mon, even Santa Claus doesn't move from house to house that fast without burning up due to friction with atmosphere. What's the secret?

I don't believe it either. No one has ever provided substantial proof.

Find a place where somebody placed thousands of very easy caches 512 feet apart. Get a team of people in several cars. Driver drops jumpers at different caches, then each person on the team takes credit for every find.

There are plenty of people who believe that's not geocaching.

I keep seeing folks that have found over 960 caches in a single day. That's a cache every 90 seconds.

C'mon, even Santa Claus doesn't move from house to house that fast without burning up due to friction with atmosphere. What's the secret?

If someone that you knew personally and trusted explicitly told you that they had done it, would you still require proof?

Three days after the original ET Hwy was published, I went there solo, in a stick shift car and did 50 caches in an hour, twice. That's a cache every 72 seconds. I personally would not be able to keep that pace for 24 hours, but I have no doubt that a well choreographed team can pull it off. I know such people and when they relate their experiences, I believe them.

It's possible with multiple cars or even a single car with several people.

One of the tricks is to do the 3 cache monte (or cache shuffling), where they pick up a cache, sign it on the way, and replace that cache with the next cache, and repeat...... All claim credit for the find.

There are youtube videos showing how it is done.

I know I will never get out there but it sure would be fun to give a crack on a bicycle.

If someone that you knew personally and trusted explicitly told you that they had done it, would you still require proof?

Three days after the original ET Hwy was published, I went there solo, in a stick shift car and did 50 caches in an hour, twice. That's a cache every 72 seconds. I personally would not be able to keep that pace for 24 hours, but I have no doubt that a well choreographed team can pull it off. I know such people and when they relate their experiences, I believe them.

Did each person find every cache along the trail and do it in 24 hours?

If people want to play the game that way and do it in groups then let them, it's just a game after all, it's not as if you get rewarded for finding more than someone else.

As long as you enjoy playing the way you play, why try and stop people enjoying playing the way they enjoy.

Also, no I'm not one of these people, I only have 18 finds to date and I only ever cache solo, or occasionally with my nephew if he's off school, I just do it because I enjoy walking and it gives me something fun to do while I'm walking.

But my point is, it doesn't affect anyone else how they choose to play the game, if numbers are so important to them, let them run their numbers up, it doesn't harm anyone.

Find a place where somebody placed thousands of very easy caches 512 feet apart. Get a team of people in several cars. Driver drops jumpers at different caches, then each person on the team takes credit for every find.

There is no such place, the Cache Saturation guideline says 528' apart, not 512.

I've done several major power trails (ET, Rt 66, and Bling), and spoken to dozens of others who have done those and others. I do not know of anyone who 'drops jumpers at different caches'. What does happen is that people take turns being the jumper during the trip. I have heard rumors of cars splitting up trails, or leapfrogging the caches, but have no direct confirmation of it taking place. So I am careful not to sling labels or accusations about.

It's possible with multiple cars or even a single car with several people.

One of the tricks is to do the 3 cache monte (or cache shuffling), where they pick up a cache, sign it on the way, and replace that cache with the next cache, and repeat...... All claim credit for the find.

There are youtube videos showing how it is done.

I know I will never get out there but it sure would be fun to give a crack on a bicycle.

@gpsblake-you are out in the middle of nowhere in the desert on many of these trails. You would either need a support van, or a way to carry gallons of water and probably some portable shade to take a break under.

Here's a video of our team on the Rt 66 trail a few years back. We're moving at a clip much faster than every 90 seconds. We did all 800 plus a few dozen others along the way in about 15 hours. We found and replaced each cache where it was. One drove, one rested, two jumped-one grabbed/one stamped. We rotated positions every 100 caches. We had a lot of fun as a team, and went back to do the ET trail the following year together. We broke that into two days, and did over 1000 the second day. Something else to consider, many of these trails start and end a considerable distance from lodging or civilization. So there is also some time spent just getting to and from the trails that affects the actual time/cache average for the day/

Edited by wimseyguy

Did each person find every cache along the trail and do it in 24 hours?

One group did it like the often posted video. One driver/one or two jumping out and stamping the log. No one really finds the cache because it's sitting right there next to the sign post. The other group did the three cache monte thing, which I'm not really impressed with. Everyone I associate with draws the line before leapfrogging or splitting up into sub groups.

It's not. Take that to the extreme, and get 500 people in 500 cars, each person finds 2 caches. Does everybody claim 1000?

If people want to play the game that way and do it in groups then let them, it's just a game after all, it's not as if you get rewarded for finding more than someone else.

As long as you enjoy playing the way you play, why try and stop people enjoying playing the way they enjoy.

I don't think anyone's trying to stop them. We're just judging them because that's the way we enjoy playing.

I did a tiny fraction of the ET Trail while driving through Nevada last November. It really isn't too hard to do them in 60 seconds, each, solo. But that's for a short distance. Doing it hour upon hour would get tiring for me. I just did it to see what it was like. The worst of it was logging the finds when I got home.

I believe it's possible because people I know and trust have told me they did it. That's all the proof I need. Anybody who watches the Route 66 video has to admit it's possible to find caches at a rate of about a cache a minute. There is no reason people who are motivated enough can't keep up that rate all day. No container swapping, "leap frogging or "three cache monte" necessary. To paraphrase Vizzini, "Never underestimate a geocacher when NUMBERS are on the line!"

That sort of caching is about as far as you could get from my idea of fun, but to dismiss it as impossible simply because you personally couldn't or wouldn't do it is silly.

Edited by briansnat

Geocaching to us is a bunch of stuff including

Caching with a group

caching solo

caching with a buddy

hiking a trail to get a series, biking to get a series

a day of Park and grabs

stopping at every exit and rest stop on a trip

monthly breakfast events

And we have done all of the above. We love caching because of the variety.

Caching is also doing the power trails described above. We would never attempt such a series but I understand why someone would do it for the challenge, the fun, the camaraderie, the adventure, etc.

Get a team of people in several cars. Driver drops jumpers at different caches, then each person on the team takes credit for every find.

Nope. One car.

This has been discussed maaaaannny times. They have their moves worked out but it is out of one car. Some folks might be doing it the way you suggest but many others do it in one car.

@gpsblake-you are out in the middle of nowhere in the desert on many of these trails. You would either need a support van, or a way to carry gallons of water and probably some portable shade to take a break under.

With a team, it's easily possible, say a pick up truck with 4 people. 2 in the air conditioning, 2 in the back, switch off from time to time. 2nd car brings gas, water, food etc. Driving a car a 1/10th of a mile takes probably 20 seconds (or less), 20 seconds to retrieve container... That's 40 seconds per cache (remember the cache is being signed on the way). Easily a team could do 60 in a hour that way.

I've never power cache, probably never will. Be fun to do for an hour or two but if others enjoy it, nothing wrong with it.

It's quite easy actually. Caches every 530 feet +\- a few feet. They are placed on top of a fence post, little ditch. All you need is the co-ords to the first cache. Each container is painted a white/yellow reflective paint. Do it at sunup or sundown with your headlights on high, and use stamps. Only a driver and passenger can do it. OR if you want to go the team route, 2 teams of drive/logger one starting from each end.

That's what we have here. Two trails of 100 caches, and one trail of 200-250(I cant remember) caches. Plus more in the works. That's 400 caches. Then we have a trail with a cache at every third telephone pole (100 caches) and another simple trail like that. If you want you can do five or sic hundred caches in a day, and still have time left over. Now go do that on a quad or dirtbike so you don't even have to leave the vehicle....

Two of us from NH did the E.T. Highway this past April with one car. We switched driving every hour which seemed to work well and our best day was 877 caches in under 14 hours. Morning temps of 18 degrees and small blizzards that covered the high ground may have slowed us down a bit, but not much. Another solo cacher from our area spent a much longer day and got over 1000 finds all by himself. Part of finding this many caches per day is being motivated. I'm over 70 years old and if I can do it, almost anyone can.

If you go to the following link and select the country you're interested in (or click on the flag for U.S.) then click on 'filter' you will see that, in the U.S. for instance, the top finds per day is now at 2245. With my "puny" 877 finds per day there are over 380 cacher who have found more caches per day, in some cases over 2.5 times what I found.

http://project-gc.com/TopFinders/topcachesday

I believe it's possible because people I know and trust have told me they did it. That's all the proof I need. Anybody who watches the Route 66 video has to admit it's possible to find caches at a rate of about a cache a minute. There is no reason people who are motivated enough can't keep up that rate all day. No container swapping, "leap frogging or "three cache monte" necessary. To paraphrase Vizzini, "Never underestimate a geocacher when NUMBERS are on the line!"

That sort of caching is about as far as you could get from my idea of fun, but to dismiss it as impossible simply because you personally couldn't or wouldn't do it is silly.

When people say they've "found" 960 caches in a single day, they say it like they personally found 960 caches in a single day. If you Briansnat (or some other trusted forumite - reviewers have more clout imo), told me that you personally found 960 caches in a single day (I'd even allow for a driver -- but that driver doesn't get to count your cache finds that day), then I would believe that it was humanly possible for one person to find 960 caches in 24 hours. I would believe that you did not include throwdowns in your count, did not leap frog, did not include someone else's finds in your count, and you actually retrieved each of the caches and signed each log. I don't consider any other method as legitimately "finding" a cache when one wishes to brag about breaking a record. I still say it's physically impossible for one person to find 960 caches in a 24 hour period. I don't care if people want to privately believe they found 960 caches in a day but it's expecting others to believe and acknowledge it, that I expect indisputable evidence.

When people say they've "found" 960 caches in a single day, they say it like they personally found 960 caches in a single day. If you Briansnat (or some other trusted forumite - reviewers have more clout imo), told me that you personally found 960 caches in a single day (I'd even allow for a driver -- but that driver doesn't get to count your cache finds that day), then I would believe that it was humanly possible for one person to find 960 caches in 24 hours. I would believe that you did not include throwdowns in your count, did not leap frog, did not include someone else's finds in your count, and you actually retrieved each of the caches and signed each log. I don't consider any other method as legitimately "finding" a cache when one wishes to brag about breaking a record. I still say it's physically impossible for one person to find 960 caches in a 24 hour period. I don't care if people want to privately believe they found 960 caches in a day but it's expecting others to believe and acknowledge it, that I expect indisputable evidence.

Just thought of another way that I might believe 960 caches in a single day. If you, Briansnat held an event in which you and several judges placed 1000 caches along a road (so that you know for sure each of the caches were there at the start of the day's event) and drove and timed the participants (you could film it with one of those dashboard car cameras - or not, I trust you), then if someone completed 960+ caches in that 24 hour period with you (or one of your trusted judges) watching and recording, then I'd believe one individual could find 960 caches in 24 hours.

The secret is: "Who Cares?" Come on, does this affect your life in any way? I guess it does if you are a control freak. Get on with your life and stop worrying about people posting fake numbers on the internet. Best of luck my friend.

My wife and I went to the ET highway in March of 2012. I did all the driving due to the atmosphere and my COPD and she did all the jumping. We did 450 caches in about 11 hours give or take. I would like to say more like 10 hours plus potty stops and time-outs. She was hustling all day long and I was very proud of her.

So, if these 2 50 yr olds can do that many, then I don't see why two youngun's can't get 1000+ in 24 hours.

When people say they've "found" 960 caches in a single day, they say it like they personally found 960 caches in a single day.

Power trail or not, I think many people when they say they have found X caches in a single day include caches found by others that they were caching with as a team.

I've found 133 in a day. There were two of us. I was at GZ and actively looking for each one, but my friend found half of them (actually more I think). Sometimes I signed the log myself, sometimes I let my friend sign for me (and vice versa).

Power trails are generally done as a team. It seems crazy to do it any other way. One can argue or have a different view of what is fun, and I've not done a power trail - but to me the fun would come from being with others and doing this as a team. I'd go crazy doing a power trail on my own.

Now there are variations of what teams do. Some split up and use multiple cars. Some move caches around. But others stay together as a team, everyone is at every GZ (even if they stay in the car).

For me personally - if I was part of a team and I was present at each GZ and participated in each find somehow (even if was just spotting the cache from the car window) then I would claim each as a find.

I don't think anyone's trying to stop them. We're just judging them because that's the way we enjoy playing.

Laughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

+2

[i did 55 on the C&D Canal in Delaware by myself in about two hours. That was enough to convince me that a Power Trail is not for me. I have no problem if somebody else wants to.]

For me personally - if I was part of a team and I was present at each GZ and participated in each find somehow (even if was just spotting the cache from the car window) then I would claim each as a find.
+1

I won't hold people doing a numbers run to a higher standard than I hold myself to. Sure, when I'm by myself, I do it all: find the cache, retrieve the cache, sign the log, and replace the cache. But I've logged finds for caches where I was part of a group. While I prefer to play huckle buckle beanstalk style, sometimes the group I'm with plays three musketeers style instead. I still log the finds. Sometimes the cache has been retrieved already before I spot it. Sometimes someone else writes my name on the log, or writes an informal team name that represents everyone in the group. Sometimes I never touch the actual cache. But if I was there and was part of the effort, I log it as a find.

But I/we replace the cache where found (no cache shuffling or three cache monte), and I don't log finds if I wasn't there and part of the effort (no leapfrogging, sharding, or other divide-and-conquer techniques).

The secret is: "Who Cares?" Come on, does this affect your life in any way? I guess it does if you are a control freak. Get on with your life and stop worrying about people posting fake numbers on the internet. Best of luck my friend.

Wow, do you always call people control freaks when all they wanna know the secret to how something is done? Best of luck to you too brother, and thanks for making this a welcome place to ask questions =)

Edited by The Comrade

If the e.t highway caches are sooooooo easy that you can run up those numbers, then why are they rated 1.5 star difficulty?

Because many are in sandy areas where a wheelchair couldn't make much headway. So, since they aren't wheelchair accessible they are given the 1.5 terrian.

That's what I initially interpreted too...wheelchairs....but M 5 is referring to the difficulty rating. So if the caches are * Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

The expected D rate would be 1. In order to do a cache every minute or less one wouldn't expect the hunt to be between * Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching and ** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting. A D1.5 rating would suggest that it may take a few minutes (not seconds) to find each cache.

Edited by L0ne R
+1

I won't hold people doing a numbers run to a higher standard than I hold myself to. Sure, when I'm by myself, I do it all: find the cache, retrieve the cache, sign the log, and replace the cache. But I've logged finds for caches where I was part of a group. While I prefer to play huckle buckle beanstalk style, sometimes the group I'm with plays three musketeers style instead. I still log the finds. Sometimes the cache has been retrieved already before I spot it. Sometimes someone else writes my name on the log, or writes an informal team name that represents everyone in the group. Sometimes I never touch the actual cache. But if I was there and was part of the effort, I log it as a find.

But I/we replace the cache where found (no cache shuffling or three cache monte), and I don't log finds if I wasn't there and part of the effort (no leapfrogging, sharding, or other divide-and-conquer techniques).

Yes, i'll call it a find if i am at ground zero when the cache is found. I need to see the cache and it's hiding spot.

I remember doing a group cache run on a levee a couple of years back. That levee ended up being very high towards the end. That made going for caches on both sides pretty tiring. There were a few caches that i found on one side, by myself, while others in the group found on the other. Even though i was part of the group (team), i just couldn't justify claiming finds on the ones i didn't witness being found. I didn't log those. It seemed kinda strange to me that everyone else in the group logged them all but to be honest, it didn't bother me at all.

For now, there are no written guidelines or common agreements of what constitutes a proper run so there can't really be any comparison of number totals. Using some of the known "techniques" can net a team many many finds. Imo, the using of these tactics creates another game and is not really geocaching. Even so, it doesn't bother me when someone brags about how many they found in a day on one of these trails.

All this is right. I've had several 500+ days and a few 1000+ days; I'm very familiar with efficiency. I decline to publish my statistics or records; I do not want to be dragged into some inane competition.

When doing power trails, three people are a necessity and everyone has to be good at what they do. The driver must be able to stop as close as possible to the cache. One person is a jumper. On these desert runs, I prefer to hang outside the car, standing on the floorboard, my hands grasping the vehicle's roof rack (if a van's sliding door isn't there, an SUV's running board can be used). I hop off the vehicle before it comes to a complete stop; doing so transfers the motion to me and I can come to a sliding stop right at the cache, not using any of my own energy for the deployment. For optimal efficiency, you replace the cache. Once the jumper is back on/in the car, the driver takes off again. The jumper hands the cache to the scribe, who is doing the stickers, stamps, paper slips, or name writing. In that same moment, the scribe hands the jumper the next cache. If you have a fourth person, that person takes up whatever slack remains: helping the scribe, handing out food and water, taking pictures or video, or assisting the driver with spotting the cache. My travel caching group has come up with 25 being the ideal time to switch; no one gets tired and everyone knows their number and switch times if there are four people (when there are three, we go every 33). If the jumper has to use his or her GPSr or the driver doesn't stop right at the cache, you're already losing time. As for food, you pack a cooler and ice ahead of time; you eat on the go and don't stop caching. I suggest, for snacks, baby carrots; they've been a hit on every run I've been a part of. It's healthy, they're small, and they leave no mess. I also liked jelly beans for quick energy. Alternate between water, soda, and sports drinks so you don't get tired of the taste.

I've also made videos of my time doing this, including one from a jumper's perspective. For the sake of this thread, I made the video I posted to facebook public. The driver was driving slowly, so I averaged only one cache a minute. When I was back out there last month, I was driving most of the time, and I was fast. The video is barely three minutes long because it's difficult to split your attention between keeping a good video angle and noticing the cache. Anyway, for a little while, I was averaging a cache every 45 seconds. All this seems unbelievable until you're in that situation. Heed the advice of those who were and you'll do well.

At times, I think about the serious damage you can do if you had two or three cars leapfrogging on those trails. However, the only times I've been able to do leapfrogging were when the available caches in an area were only a few hundred.

At times, I think about the serious damage you can do if you had two or three cars leapfrogging on those trails. However, the only times I've been able to do leapfrogging were when the available caches in an area were only a few hundred.

I always assumed that leapfrogging didn't involve finding "every other cache", but that one vehicle might start at one end of a trail and another vehicle at the other, or with three vehicles the PT would be broken up into thirds and each vehicle would start, going the same direction, a cache a the beginning, 1/3 of the way, and 2/3rds of the way along the trail.

If the e.t highway caches are sooooooo easy that you can run up those numbers, then why are they rated 1.5 star difficulty?

Because that is the default and it is a lot of clicks to change it for that many caches.

Makes sense. Even more laziness/bad practices associated with power trails than I even imagined.

Because many are in sandy areas where a wheelchair couldn't make much headway. So, since they aren't wheelchair accessible they are given the 1.5 terrian.

That's what I initially interpreted too...wheelchairs....but M 5 is referring to the difficulty rating. So if the caches are * Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

The expected D rate would be 1. In order to do a cache every minute or less one wouldn't expect the hunt to be between * Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching and ** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting. A D1.5 rating would suggest that it may take a few minutes (not seconds) to find each cache.

Depends upon how fresh the geo-trails are and when the road grader went through last.

There were a few caches that i found on one side, by myself, while others in the group found on the other. Even though i was part of the group (team), i just couldn't justify claiming finds on the ones i didn't witness being found. I didn't log those. It seemed kinda strange to me that everyone else in the group logged them all but to be honest, it didn't bother me at all.

It doesn't bother me either if people want to privately claim finds they did not personally find. But I does irritate me when they publicly declare "Look at me, be amazed at my geocaching skill and stamina, I found 960 caches in a day" when they actually mean, the group I was with found 960 caches in a day. Group records don't impress me - the bigger the group the more the finds...shrug.