Join in for a celebration of a century!

IslandsAndOcean

Hello, everyone!

Come on down (up) to Homer, Alaska on Saturday, September 5 for a great celebration!

The Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge is celebrating 100 years this fall.

100 years ago, some 2.7 million acres were set aside in one action by President William Howard Taft when the vast Aleutian Island chain was added to the National Wildlife Refuge system. The Aleutian Islands Reserve unit was designated to be a refuge ranging over 1,100 miles of distance, extending between Unimak (to the east) and Attu (to the west) islands. For the last 100 years, the Refuge has been a protected home for millions of seabirds, and thousands of Steller Sea Lions.

Over these last hundred years, there have been many research vessels which have serviced the extensive Refuge, including the current ship, the R/V Tiglax (pronounced TEK-lah, Aleut for eagle). The 250-ton, 120-foot ship dedicated to science support on the Refuge, and puts on 15,000-20,000 nautical miles each season (from late May-early September).

This is your chance to celebrate with the staff of Alaska Maritime Refuge, and meet the R/V Tiglax up close!

The event includes:

-"Refuges on the Air" HAM radio event: Learn about amateur radio, and contact HAM operators across the world

-Tiglax open house: Walk through the ship and learn more about the work it does every year. See the wheelhouse, the engine room, and the berths that house the staff for nearly 4 months at a time!

-Aleutian field camp visit: See what a field camp looks like out in the Aleutian Islands--the home for 2-6 researchers per site for the summer

-Find "NeverSummer" to learn more about how to coordinate Earthcaches across the Aleutians

The event runs from 1pm-4pm. Come on down!

Come on down (up) to Homer, Alaska on Saturday, September 5 for a great celebration!

What year? Sept. 5th this year is on a Thurs. and was last week.

Could you mean Oct. 5th, maybe? B):)

The evnet cache in the link is for Oct 5 '13. The next time Sept 5 is a Saturday is 2015.

I wish I could make it, I enjoyed the vacations I've had in Alaska.