Cacher name not appropriate

jellis

OK, so what the heck is the offensive name everyone is seeing? The third one on the list in question "ilovemymommy" is one that SHOULD apply to everyone here {unless you were the child of Joan Crawford (or someone like her)}. I will be the first to tell you, this guy loves his Mommy. I have for almost 50 years, and I will until I die.

I sure hope you don't in the way it was originally worded. :D

That's just it. The kid that has the name in the OP could be the one that is on his way to microwaving cats and such. Many goofy and sick people start out doing little things like seeing how far they can go with un-family friendly words. The name he chose shows you that he has no respect for himself, much less anyone else.

Wow. This is the comment of the day. Glad so many perfect kids exist that never uttered a bad word, did a questionable thing, etc. Else we would just have maniacs running around.

It all starts with a questionable caching name I guess.

Take Barney's advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTyw4hCoZKE

Is there anything about using inappropriate language in logs?

I ask 'cause there's one guy that keeps dropping the f-bomb in his logs in my area

(examples: http://coord.info/GLC47PQV & http://coord.info/GLC47Y7G )

That's a word used in normal conversation by many of the younger generation.

The original question here was whether the name being used was appropriate. It is clear that Groundspeak felt it was not, and they have every right to make that determination. They took appropriate action.

As for the F-bomb being used in logs, Groundspeak's stance on that is clear in the guidelines.

As for it being used in normal conversation by certain groups, I would offer that there is, and should be, a difference in language that may be acceptable in the skate park vs those same kids going to a nice restaurant with the family to celebrate Grandma's birthday. Unfortunately, many can not make that distinction on their own.

OK, so what the heck is the offensive name everyone is seeing? The third one on the list in question "ilovemymommy" is one that SHOULD apply to everyone here {unless you were the child of Joan Crawford (or someone like her)}. I will be the first to tell you, this guy loves his Mommy. I have for almost 50 years, and I will until I die.

The name was changed sometime between the time this thread started and now. He may love his mommy, but I bet his mommy wouldn't have been too happy with his original name. :huh:

people also have right to free speech - not to free speech "when we agree with what is being said"

Free speech does not mean you can say anything you want anytime you want without concequences. Try exercising your free speech by yelling "fire" in crowded theater. Or "kill the president" at a rally.

Free speech also does not apply to my home, or business, (Nor to Groundspeak's). In my house I can set whatever restrictions on speech I want. While in Groundspeak's house they set the rules.

My understanding is that freedom of speech means having the right to talk about any topic, not the right to be rude, obnoxious or disrespectful while you talk about it.

There have been several Supreme Court cases addressing what content is protected by the 1st Amendment. The Court would argue that, so long as your speech does not cross the line into slander, or can be seen as a significant contribution to violence, you can be as rude, obnoxious and/or disrespectful as you wish. Fortunately, this is a non issue, as the 1st Amendment does not protect speech on a privately owned website. This website has the right to restrict whatever language they choose.

The prime reviewer in my area has a Route 666 sign as his thumbnail pic and another profile picture of what looks like devil worshipers. Is it appropriate to report him/her to the people that run this site? I don't know about anyone else, but I was offended by his profile pics and don't think they're family friendly at all.

Oh, no! You've caught me! I'm a secret devil worshiper. And I'm so secret about it, I put clues all over my profile page. Just because, you know, I'm diabolical and stuff. Not only that, I had my devil-worshiping cohorts dress in all white, just to throw people off the track. They prefer to dress in black, because, you know, it's slimming. But boy, that didn't fool you. They call themselves The Polyphonic Spree, and they've used an insidious form a mind control to affect the brainwaves of Americans by inserting their devil music in the background of

. Don't watch it! You've been warned! They then went on to spread their message of evil in prime time, on
. Again, avert your eyes! They even turned Jay Leno into a devil worshiper, when they appeared on The Tonight Show last December and sang "Happy Christmas". If you play the audio backwards, and at half speed, you'll hear the voice of the devil giving out a really good recipe for Banana Crumb Muffins.

As for the Route 666 sign - it's like Route 66, but with an extra "6". You know, like the kid in the AT&T commercial says "to make it funny".

• Love 1

Mmmm. I love Banana Crumb Muffins. :omnomnom:

I always suspected there was a direct link betwixt muffins and devil worship...

Of course there is. Frank Zappa sings about the Muffin Man. Zappa was friendly with Alice Cooper. Cooper was widely known for his devil worship. I don't know if either of these men has ever performed with Polyphonic Spree, but it would probably be an awesome show.

This is one of the many problems our world has these days, lack of respect for fellow human beings. We're free to do and say whatever we want. Unfortunately, many people take that right too far.

I actually agree with this ^^^^^ but I am not sure, for me, that's it's a problem worthy of turning this into a police state. So, I guess you can say "gray area", or, "on the fence".

I ask 'cause there's one guy that keeps dropping the f-bomb in his logs in my area

Not sure why people get all uppity about words.

Because my 6 year old granddaughter has a account here and I do not want her exposed to this type of language. Keep it CLEAN

In my opinion, the language someone uses should depend on the audience. There are times when the F bomb is offensive, like at "family affairs (or when my mom around)" and some times not like with friends. Geocaching.com is a family affair and language should be appropriate for children.

+++++++++++++++++

Because my 6 year old granddaughter has a account here and I do not want her exposed to this type of language. Keep it CLEAN

Words are just words, we associate the meaning to them. Every time someone says "flippin", "gosh darn it", "cheese-n-rice", or anything else, you might as well have said the word you replaced because the exact same intent is behind them.

How do you handle situations where another person's language choice is beyond your control, such as the mall or a football game? Do you expect everyone else to mind their P and Q's?

Furthermore:

C. Minors. Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.

So to be a responsible member of the GC community, we should limit our language and content to PG13 levels. And since most 13 year olds understand the meaning of curse words and their applications (just listen in on one of their conversations when they think there isn't an adult around), I don't understand why there is an outrage at the usage of such language.

And since most 13 year olds understand the meaning of curse words and their applications (just listen in on one of their conversations when they think there isn't an adult around), I don't understand why there is an outrage at the usage of such language.

And why do they only talk like that when adults aren't around? Because they know that that language isn't appropriate.

And since most 13 year olds understand the meaning of curse words and their applications (just listen in on one of their conversations when they think there isn't an adult around), I don't understand why there is an outrage at the usage of such language.

And why do they only talk like that when adults aren't around? Because they know that that language isn't appropriate.

Getting farther off i know, but i have always wondered why people want to use words they know are unfit to use at most family dinner tables. The only thing i can guess is that it's kinda like cigarettes, where i'm guessing they think it makes them look cool, or tough, or something? :rolleyes: To be honest, i do see something when i come across these people, but it sure isn't that cool look! :blink:

The reasons why people cuss is always associated with some form of weakness that they are trying to overcome.

• Injured- Telling the world within earshot you are in pain
  • Frustrated- Telling everyone that you cannot figure something out or are able to adjust to the situation. A more classic form of yelling I AM STUPID.
  • Angry- people get angry because they lose control of a situation
  • Trying to be cool- Cussing to fit in, means that you are surrounded by snobs who won't accept you if you don't cuss.
  • Frightening someone- Weak people frighten others to make themself feel stonger.
  • Annoy someone- Unintelligent people use this ploy to bring someone down, because they cannot pull themself up.
  • Intoxicated- Drunk people are easy to beat up, and get angry easier.
  • Tough guy - An obvious attempt to balance a weakness. The 98 lb guy always cusses up a storm.
  • Being offensive - There is something wrong with you, and you don't know how to deal with it, so you are using the cuss words to warn others about your problem.

(list is from elsewhere)

Getting farther off i know, but i have always wondered why people want to use words they know are unfit to use at most family dinner tables. The only thing i can guess is that it's kinda like cigarettes, where i'm guessing they think it makes them look cool, or tough, or something? :rolleyes: To be honest, i do see something when i come across these people, but it sure isn't that cool look! :blink:

Speaking only for myself, my reasons for using such words are because they are a part of our vernacular and to remove available words simply because someone finds them offensive is to limit our abilities to express ourselves. I will agree that these words are crude, but I do not agree that they should be universally considered offensive. They have their place in our language and can even be considered socially appropriate at a family dinner table (in the correct context).

I think that we (as a collective) need to be very careful with banning things simply because they can be construed as offensive. I think the argument can be made that any username or cache name that have religious meanings are offensive to a significant population and should be banned. Just because one person finds something morally offensive, does not make it universally morally offensive. I realize that GS as already made the decision to request the user to change their login ID, and they have, but I don't completely agree with the reasoning.

I feel I have just as much of a right to voice my opinion on this matter as everyone else does without being accused of acting childish and immature. I have put a lot of thought and reasoning into the moral code that I live by and find it offensive when people attack it simply because it doesn't line up with theirs. Perhaps we should ban all personal attacks in the forums and require everyone to back up their opinions with more then "because it's always been this way" or "because this book says so" or even "just because".

The reasons why people cuss is always associated with some form of weakness that they are trying to overcome.

• Frustrated- Telling everyone that you cannot figure something out or are able to adjust to the situation. A more classic form of yelling I AM STUPID.
  • Trying to be cool- Cussing to fit in, means that you are surrounded by snobs who won't accept you if you don't cuss.
  • Frightening someone- Weak people frighten others to make themself feel stonger.
  • Annoy someone- Unintelligent people use this ploy to bring someone down, because they cannot pull themself up.
  • Tough guy - An obvious attempt to balance a weakness. The 98 lb guy always cusses up a storm.
  • Being offensive - There is something wrong with you, and you don't know how to deal with it, so you are using the cuss words to warn others about your problem.

(list is from elsewhere)

I took the liberty to edit your list to better reflect myself (since I'm the only one I feel comfortable speaking for).

• Injured- Telling the world within earshot you are in pain because sometimes my owie has earned a good expletive to celebrate it's existence
  • Frustrated- Telling everyone that you cannot figure something out or are able to adjust to the situation. A more classic form of yelling I AM STUPID. because when I'm frustrated, I say I'm frustrated and when I'm angry, I say I'm angry and sometimes I need a to express that I'm f***ing pissed.
  • Angry- people get angry because they lose control of a situation refer to previous statement
  • Trying to be cool- Cussing to fit in, means that you are surrounded by snobs who won't accept you if you don't cuss. I was never cool in high school and I'm not cool now, I freely admit that and accept that. I choose not to modify my behavior on the sole fact that it will increase or decrease my standing with someone
  • Frightening someone- Weak people frighten others to make themself feel stonger. if I feel the need to reach down to this level, cussing is the least of your worries and rarely is used
  • Annoy someone- Unintelligent people use this ploy to bring someone down, because they cannot pull themself up. as an intelligent person I know that annoying you isn't fun
  • Intoxicated- Drunk people are easy to beat up, and get angry easier. cussing is rarely a factor, although I must admit that moral codes do get challenged
  • Tough guy - An obvious attempt to balance a weakness. The 98 lb guy always cusses up a storm. that's what martial arts lesson are for
  • Being offensive - There is something wrong with you, and you don't know how to deal with it, so you are using the cuss words to warn others about your problem. my existence is morally offensive to some, why would I need to do more

Speaking only for myself, my reasons for using such words are because they are a part of our vernacular and to remove available words simply because someone finds them offensive is to limit our abilities to express ourselves.

There are a myraid of words and expressions available, as you say why limit yourself to a few cuss words designed to shock and ofttimes offend?

"Such Words" are losing their power and are used in many less extreme contexts: regardless of anyones "comfort" with the use of such words, if there is no need or intent to shock or offend why use them?

Words are just words, we associate the meaning to them. Every time someone says "flippin", "gosh darn it", "cheese-n-rice", or anything else, you might as well have said the word you replaced because the exact same intent is behind them.

How do you handle situations where another person's language choice is beyond your control, such as the mall or a football game? Do you expect everyone else to mind their P and Q's?

Furthermore:

C. Minors. Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.

So to be a responsible member of the GC community, we should limit our language and content to PG13 levels. And since most 13 year olds understand the meaning of curse words and their applications (just listen in on one of their conversations when they think there isn't an adult around), I don't understand why there is an outrage at the usage of such language.

The account was set up and run by her mother, but in her name and yes she does sit with her and lets her read the cache descriptions, Clues and logs before they go out to find a cache. She also opens all caches before granddaughter is allowed to look through them for swag. She is home schooled and reading on a 6th grade level she is not sheltered, but we determine when and what is age appropriate for her.

(list is from elsewhere)

I took the liberty to edit your list to better reflect myself (since I'm the only one I feel comfortable speaking for).

• Injured- Telling the world within earshot you are in pain because sometimes my owie has earned a good expletive to celebrate it's existence
  • Frustrated- Telling everyone that you cannot figure something out or are able to adjust to the situation. A more classic form of yelling I AM STUPID. because when I'm frustrated, I say I'm frustrated and when I'm angry, I say I'm angry and sometimes I need a to express that I'm f***ing pissed.
  • Angry- people get angry because they lose control of a situation refer to previous statement
  • Trying to be cool- Cussing to fit in, means that you are surrounded by snobs who won't accept you if you don't cuss. I was never cool in high school and I'm not cool now, I freely admit that and accept that. I choose not to modify my behavior on the sole fact that it will increase or decrease my standing with someone
  • Frightening someone- Weak people frighten others to make themself feel stonger. if I feel the need to reach down to this level, cussing is the least of your worries and rarely is used
  • Annoy someone- Unintelligent people use this ploy to bring someone down, because they cannot pull themself up. as an intelligent person I know that annoying you isn't fun
  • Intoxicated- Drunk people are easy to beat up, and get angry easier. cussing is rarely a factor, although I must admit that moral codes do get challenged
  • Tough guy - An obvious attempt to balance a weakness. The 98 lb guy always cusses up a storm. that's what martial arts lesson are for
  • Being offensive - There is something wrong with you, and you don't know how to deal with it, so you are using the cuss words to warn others about your problem. my existence is morally offensive to some, why would I need to do more

Those may be your reasons, but you are still exhibiting a weakness.

The purpose of speaking is to communicate. If you are intent on using words that most receivers of that communication find offensive, it could be defined as a personality disorder. Like the guy who attempts to use a CB radio to talk on the ham radio frequencies. Yes, it is silly because it is offensive only because we are taught it is, but if it wasn't considered offensive it would fall out of use. Purposely being offensive is characteristically antisocial. There are some who are too easily offended, but then there are others who are just overtly offensive, and not much different..

The account was set up and run by her mother, but in her name and yes she does sit with her and lets her read the cache descriptions, Clues and logs before they go out to find a cache. She also opens all caches before granddaughter is allowed to look through them for swag. She is home schooled and reading on a 6th grade level she is not sheltered, but we determine when and what is age appropriate for her.

So then once again, since the child's mother has chosen to ignore GS's terms of service, the onus is on the mother. If you choose to bring a child into a crowd of adults you need to be prepared to answer some tough questions later.

The purpose of speaking is to communicate. If you are intent on using words that most receivers of that communication find offensive, it could be defined as a personality disorder. Like the guy who attempts to use a CB radio to talk on the ham radio frequencies. Yes, it is silly because it is offensive only because we are taught it is, but if it wasn't considered offensive it would fall out of use. Purposely being offensive is characteristically antisocial. There are some who are too easily offended, but then there are others who are just overtly offensive, and not much different.. [emphasis added]

It is silly, isn't it? It is also silly to try label anyone who uses this type of language as having antisocial personality disorder, since using offensive language is not a symptom of that disorder or any of the 10 types personality disorders that are recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Although expecting everyone's behavior to be modeled around what you find appropriate is a symptom of a personality disorder.

The purpose of speaking is to communicate. If you are intent on using words that most receivers of that communication find offensive, it could be defined as a personality disorder. Like the guy who attempts to use a CB radio to talk on the ham radio frequencies. Yes, it is silly because it is offensive only because we are taught it is, but if it wasn't considered offensive it would fall out of use. Purposely being offensive is characteristically antisocial. There are some who are too easily offended, but then there are others who are just overtly offensive, and not much different..

Words don't offend me. Your choice of words, especially in certain situations will affect my opinion of you. This can affect how I interact with you. If you whack your thumb with a hammer and let out an F-Bomb, and then quickly look around to see who may have heard you. I'd consider you normal. If I invite you over to Thanksgiving dinner with my family and you ask my Grandmother to pass the F-ing gravy, you might find yourself eating at McDonald's instead. When someone that may be considering entrusting you with something asks me what I think of you, I'm going to tell him that I think that you are a low class individual. If you want, you can walk around thinking that you are the only member of society that matters, saying or doing whatever you like for the simple fact that you can, not concerned with fitting in or what others think of you. You just can't do it on Groundspeak's servers. That is their right.

Edited by Don_J

Furthermore:

So you decide which guidelines to follow and which to ignore. I am sure that helps her. Adults are SO confusing!

Which part of this tells you that you can ignore it at will? I think parents who choose to ignore it and then complain that we're not appropriate for a 6-year-old are pretty confusing myself! B)

Robert Heinlein once opined that, as a society declines, one symptom is that they include in their definitions of insane, any person whose thought process differs from that of the general masses. If the collective has determined that a person who does not embrace social mores, (AKA: being antisocial), is suffering from a mental illness, perhaps Heinlein was right.

Words don't offend me. Your choice of words, especially in certain situations will affect my opinion of you. This can affect how I interact with you. If you whack your thumb with a hammer and let out an F-Bomb, and then quickly look around to see who may have heard you. I'd consider you normal. If I invite you over to Thanksgiving dinner with my family and you ask my Grandmother to pass the F-ing gravy, you might find yourself eating at McDonald's instead. When someone that may be considering entrusting you with something asks me what I think of you, I'm going to tell him that I think that you are a low class individual. If you want, you can walk around thinking that you are the only member of society that matters, saying or doing whatever you like for the simple fact that you can, not concerned with fitting in or what others think of you. You just can't do it on Groundspeak's servers. That is their right.

I agree!

It is silly, isn't it? It is also silly to try label anyone who uses this type of language as having antisocial personality disorder, since using offensive language is not a symptom of that disorder or any of the 10 types personality disorders that are recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Although expecting everyone's behavior to be modeled around what you find appropriate is a symptom of a personality disorder.

There is a big difference between cussing because of stress, and purposely cussing around others who you know will find it offensive.

Purposely offending others, and arguing that they should accept you the way you are, could show some inner need for attention, or affection. Unless that person has Tourettes syndrome and cannot control themselves, having a conscious need to offend others is an indicator that something is wrong with you. Is it a tick? There is also repetitive eye blinking, coughing, throat clearing, sniffing, and other issues that people cannot control. Doing it purposely is a bit different, like driving around and flipping the bird to everyone. Most people would say there is something wrong with that guy.

The original question seems to have been answered to the topic starter's satisfaction. The recent posts have moved far enough away from cacher profile names that it's appropriate now to close the thread. Those wishing to debate societal standards for potty language may do so in the off topic forum, subject of course to the forum guidelines.