Cacher name not appropriate

jellis

He could have choosen another nickname than his real one, but obviously wasn't aware of that. Poor boy. ;)
That's something that has always bugged me about the old Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue". Why did he keep telling people his name was Sue? Why not introduce himself as the Schofield Kid, or Slim, or Weedy, or Bill, or George, or anything but Sue?

Just contact and report to a Groundspeak support person and they'll take care of it.

I am offended by your username so I just contacted Groundspeak about it.

When we get to the point of turning in our neighbors because we're offended by something, it is stinking pathetic. Why don't you just go cache and worry about yourself.

Is there anything about using inappropriate language in logs?

I ask 'cause there's one guy that keeps dropping the f-bomb in his logs in my area

(examples: http://coord.info/GLC47PQV & http://coord.info/GLC47Y7G )

Groundspeak's Terms of Use agreement:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

D. Restrictions. Permission to use our services is subject to the following restrictions. Whether these restrictions have been violated shall be determined in our sole discretion. You agree not to:

vii. Upload, post, transmit or otherwise distribute (including by emailing us) any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, profane, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, harmful to minors, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

B.

I ask 'cause there's one guy that keeps dropping the f-bomb in his logs in my area

Groundspeak's Terms of Use agreement:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

D. Restrictions. Permission to use our services is subject to the following restrictions. Whether these restrictions have been violated shall be determined in our sole discretion. You agree not to:

vii. Upload, post, transmit or otherwise distribute (including by emailing us) any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, profane, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, harmful to minors, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

There's also this, from the Groundspeak guidelines:

Owner is responsible for geocache listing maintenance.

As the owner of your cache listing, your responsibility includes quality control of all posts to the cache listing. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate.

Just contact and report to a Groundspeak support person and they'll take care of it.

When we get to the point of turning in our neighbors because we're offended by something, it is stinking pathetic. Why don't you just go cache and worry about yourself.

I am adult and the name brought up by the OP is offensive to me. I have a child who is learning to read and write as we speak. No, i do not want her seeing that offensive name and trying to sound it out.

This is one of the many problems our world has these days, lack of respect for fellow human beings. We're free to do and say whatever we want. Unfortunately, many people take that right too far. They purposely choose to say and do things that offend and hurt other people. Imo, this lack of respect towards others only strengthens for most as they get older. I think it is pathetic that there are so many people out there who have the attitude that the world is their free for all. They live for today because they are entitled and could care less what our world is becoming. :mad:

Edited by Mudfrog

Not sure why people get all uppity about words.

You're kidding, right?

Expecting some one to have the same reaction to words is expecting them to live by your moral code. Perhaps that person was raised in a culture where using that word is not morally offensive. In the U.S. we don't see any problem with using the word "bloody", but in the U.K. it has a similar meaning as the F-word.

I am adult and the name brought up by the OP is offensive to me. I have a child who is learning to read and write as we speak. No, i do not want her seeing that offensive name and trying to sound it out.

This is one of the many problems our world has these days, lack of respect for fellow human beings. We're free to do and say whatever we want. Unfortunately, many people take that right too far. They purposely choose to say and do things that offend and hurt other people. Imo, this lack of respect towards others only strengthens for most as they get older. I think it is pathetic that there are so many people out there who have the attitude that the world is their free for all. They live for today because they are entitled and could care less what our world is becoming. :mad:

Kinda like people with guns in america, right? Or religion.

It is funny how it is a "right" when it is something a person are for, but an "entitlement" when it is something a person is against.

Try this - your kid is opening the pandoras box to the world with reading, sooner or later the kid is bound to come across questionable material. How long do you think you can or even should shield her from it? Rather, instead of pretending it doesn't exist, teach her what it means, that it is not appropriate in our culture and you demystify the mystique. Then let it go

We only give more power and meaning to these words and to the people who use them by paying this much attention to them. Again, before this post, nobody knew of this guy. And I am willing to bet had it not been mentioned, nobody would have ever heard of him.

We're free to do and say whatever we want. Unfortunately, many people take that right too far.

I find those two statements to be mutually exclusive.

I looked at the name in question and, unless you get the "joke" it doesn't mean anything to you. Of course, if you understand "the joke" then you've already been corrupted so the name shouldn't have an impact on you.

In my opinion, the language someone uses should depend on the audience. There are times when the F bomb is offensive, like at "family affairs (or when my mom around)" and some times not like with friends. Geocaching.com is a family affair and language should be appropriate for children.

In my opinion, the language someone uses should depend on the audience. There are times when the F bomb is offensive, like at "family affairs (or when my mom around)" and some times not like with friends. Geocaching.com is a family affair and language should be appropriate for children.

Several years ago, Lou and Peter Berryman did a song about this: "There are pirates in their fetid galleons, daggers in their skivvies, with infected tattooed fingernails on a blunderbuss or two, signs of scurvy in their eyes and only mermaids in their minds. It's from them I would expect to hear the F-word not from you."

It was subtitled "A Chat with your Mother" but perhaps the thought could be applied to this game.

While reading this thread, I was gearing up to post this until I saw that you had already. :)

Expecting some one to have the same reaction to words is expecting them to live by your moral code.

If it's a moral code worth having, then it's one worth expecting of everyone. Besides, what's the virtue in having a double standard, anyway?

It is funny how it is a "right" when it is something a person are for, but an "entitlement" when it is something a person is against.

A right is something a person should be permitted to do, such as the right to pursue happiness, or, in your example, guns. Entitlement is what people expect others to do for them, such as healthcare. For example, you have a right to form your own opinion, but you are not entitled to having anyone give a rip about it.

Expecting some one to have the same reaction to words is expecting them to live by your moral code.

If it's a moral code worth having, then it's one worth expecting of everyone. Besides, what's the virtue in having a double standard, anyway?

A right is something a person should be permitted to do, such as the right to pursue happiness, or, in your example, guns. Entitlement is what people expect others to do for them, such as healthcare. For example, you have a right to form your own opinion, but you are not entitled to having anyone give a rip about it.

people also have right to free speech - not to free speech "when we agree with what is being said"

Sad that with every other issue going on in this country today - kids killing themselves over being bullied, people microwaving cats and posting videos of it, disastrous weather in colorado - we are worried about a cacher name in a log that nobody would have known about if it hadn't been brought up on here.

The prime reviewer in my area has a Route 666 sign as his thumbnail pic and another profile picture of what looks like devil worshipers. Is it appropriate to report him/her to the people that run this site? I don't know about anyone else, but I was offended by his profile pics and don't think they're family friendly at all.

Edited by violet46

The prime reviewer in my area has a Route 666 sign as his thumbnail pic and another profile picture of what looks like devil worshipers. Is it appropriate to report him/her to the people that run this site? I don't know about anyone else, but I was offended by his profile pics and don't think they're family friendly at all.

"Shining Happy People" look like devil worshippers?

people also have right to free speech - not to free speech "when we agree with what is being said"

Sad that with every other issue going on in this country today - kids killing themselves over being bullied, people microwaving cats and posting videos of it, disastrous weather in colorado - we are worried about a cacher name in a log that nobody would have known about if it hadn't been brought up on here.

That's just it. The kid that has the name in the OP could be the one that is on his way to microwaving cats and such. Many goofy and sick people start out doing little things like seeing how far they can go with un-family friendly words. The name he chose shows you that he has no respect for himself, much less anyone else.

As was said above, this is a website that i hope stays family friendly. I won't hang around if it doesn't. The f word is fine in some countries but the kid using it here knows what he is doing is wrong.

What are you seeing, that I am not? I see these 5 names on the 12th.

Looks like it is gone now.

That's just it. The kid that has the name in the OP could be the one that is on his way to microwaving cats and such. Many goofy and sick people start out doing little things like seeing how far they can go with un-family friendly words. The name he chose shows you that he has no respect for himself, much less anyone else.

Wow. This is the comment of the day. Glad so many perfect kids exist that never uttered a bad word, did a questionable thing, etc. Else we would just have maniacs running around.

It all starts with a questionable caching name I guess.

Check the third cacher down on 9/12/13.

not for kids

What are you seeing, that I am not? I see these 5 names on the 12th.

Lion_man

Frankyy07

ilovemymommy

Papo14 Papo14

sherlock holmes21

Has something been removed or changed?

It appears that he loves his mommy in a more family friendly manner.

If that doesn't sound too strange..

I saw what you did there. <_<

You are offended? :rolleyes:

Kinda like people with guns in america, right? Or religion.

Try this - your kid is opening the pandoras box to the world with reading, sooner or later the kid is bound to come across questionable material. How long do you think you can or even should shield her from it? Rather, instead of pretending it doesn't exist, teach her what it means, that it is not appropriate in our culture and you demystify the mystique. Then let it go

We only give more power and meaning to these words and to the people who use them by paying this much attention to them. Again, before this post, nobody knew of this guy. And I am willing to bet had it not been mentioned, nobody would have ever heard of him.

+1

Who get to decide that is offensive and not offensive? Who gets to be the moral police?

The Quran is a moral code worth having, so should everyone in the world have to live by it? Personally I align myself more with the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and since pirates are the most blessed of all the peoples of the world, I am offended that more people don't swear like a pirate.

10 wolves and 9 goats sit down to discuss the morality of eating meat.

Who get to decide that is offensive and not offensive? Who gets to be the moral police?

In your house, you do.

In my house, I do.

In Groundspeak's house, they do.

He could have choosen another nickname than his real one, but obviously wasn't aware of that. Poor boy. ;)
That's something that has always bugged me about the old Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue". Why did he keep telling people his name was Sue? Why not introduce himself as the Schofield Kid, or Slim, or Weedy, or Bill, or George, or anything but Sue?

There wouldn't have been a song if he did that! :grin:

Or maybe he started to like the name.... ;)

In your house, you do.

In my house, I do.

I agree with big time.

If GS didnt care, this site would be over run with offended things before I came around.

In your house, you do.

In my house, I do.

I agree with big time.

If GS didnt care, this site would be over run with offended things before I came around.

This is why we have mods. Bless their hearts. :anibad:

OK, so what the heck is the offensive name everyone is seeing? The third one on the list in question "ilovemymommy" is one that SHOULD apply to everyone here {unless you were the child of Joan Crawford (or someone like her)}. I will be the first to tell you, this guy loves his Mommy. I have for almost 50 years, and I will until I die.

Free speech does not mean you can say anything you want anytime you want without concequences. Try exercising your free speech by yelling "fire" in crowded theater. Or "kill the president" at a rally.

OK, so what the heck is the offensive name everyone is seeing? The third one on the list in question "ilovemymommy" is one that SHOULD apply to everyone here {unless you were the child of Joan Crawford (or someone like her)}. I will be the first to tell you, this guy loves his Mommy. I have for almost 50 years, and I will until I die.

Oedipus Rex

Geocaching HQ forced a name change on the account in question. Often when they do this, the chosen family-friendly name is a humorous take on the original offensive name. That was certainly the case here.

I, for one, am grateful that our benevolent amphibian overlords have a sense of humor.