Installing SD Card w/preloaded topo maps in etrex 20

nicholsg7

Probably need to turn on the map. Basic process: Setup > Maps > Map Info > check/uncheck the map to be activated/deactivated.

Unless Garmin has altered the way maps work from previous models, any new maps are enabled automatically.

If you know the answer to the OP's question, why don't you help rather than trolling legitimate suggestions?

So, I don't know the direct answer. However, here are some suggestions that might help you troubleshoot:

Some simple things to try: Take the card out, turn on your GPS, turn it off after it boots up, and put the card back in. Make sure the firmware is up to date. Take MtnHermit's advice and check that the map is simply disabled (tell us if it even appears in the maps list).

If those don't work, here are some quick and easy things you can try at home:

1. Verify that the GPS is recognizing the SD card and/or that the SD card is installed correctly.

There's really only one way to install an SD card, but still, there are things that can happen. For example, the card might not be seated far enough forward to touch all of the contacts.

One method of verification that the GPS is recognizing the SD card is to plug it into the computer, go into mass storage mode, and see if both the GPS and the SD card mount as drives. If everything is working properly, they should both mount as two drives.

If the SD card fails to mount, then you have two options: It's either a faulty SD card or a faulty SD port on the GPS. If it's the card that's faulty, the GPS should mount another SD card without problem. If it's the GPS, the SD card should mount in another GPS without a problem. Then again, if it's the GPS, it should fail to recognize any SD card you put in it.

2. If step 1 passes, check that the SD card actually has data on it.

There should be a Garmin folder and within it a file called gmapsupp.img. That's the map image. If that file is there, great! I could still, by chance, be corrupted. While in mass storage mode, launch Basecamp. It should begin loading the map into memory (may take a few minutes). If you can't access the map in Basecamp, then there's something funky going on with the files on the SD card.

If everything seems fine on the computer, but not on the GPS, then maybe give Garmin a call if no one else has offered other suggestions here first.

Probably need to turn on the map. Basic process: Setup > Maps > Map Info > check/uncheck the map to be activated/deactivated.

Unless Garmin has altered the way maps work from previous models, any new maps are enabled automatically.

I've bought City Nav on 3 MSD cards for 62S and Oregon 450 as well as older 60 CSx......in all cases I plugged in the MSD card and the maps were recognized as soon as I turned on the units.

I just purchased the Garmin etrex 20 bundle w/sd card of preloaded topo maps. The instructions are very vaque on how to install this. I put the sd card in the system as instructed, turn it on and can't find the maps anywhere. Does anyone out there know what I need to do?

I bought the same eTrex 20 bundle you did and had no problems. Check to make sure the SD card is properly seated, it can be a little tricky. Turn on the unit (I usually wait until it finds the satellites). Press the "back" key (top right). Toggle down to "setup" and press the thumbstick (OK). Toggle over to "map" and press the thumbstick again. Now scroll down to "map information" and press the thumbstick. You should see the topo map "enabled". If not, highlight it and press the thumbstick. Select "enable". Use the "back" key to return to the satellite page. I hope it works for you. The eTrex 20 is a terrific GPS receiver that you'll have a lot of fun with.

Edited by luvvinbird

There should be a Garmin folder and within it a file called gmapsupp.img. That's the map image.

On the etrex 20 the map name does not have to be named gmapsupp.img.

No, it does not, but that's the file name that Garmin gives its maps, and the bundle comes with a Garmin topo map on an SD card.

Here is what I have on my 16 GB SD card (Etrex 20).

24bp8bl.jpg

Although I had to move some of the more unessential maps from the 'Garmin' folder to another folder 'Extras' on the card so as to not exceed the 3000 tile limit.

But they are all there ready to go should I need them and they all work fine!

B)