Having Trouble with Vantagepoint, Anyone Else?

Wow, It's been awhile since I've done any caching but thought I'd dust it all off and get back to it. Problem is I fired up Vantage Point, of course the first thing it wants to do is update to the newest version. Was a bit surprised that there was no update for the Triton 500 did they stop supporting that too? Now my Vantage Point won't show any of my maps not even the base map, looks like a bunch of white noise, what's up with that? Somebody out there has to know more about this stuff than I do.

Wow, It's been awhile since I've done any caching but thought I'd dust it all off and get back to it. Problem is I fired up Vantage Point, of course the first thing it wants to do is update to the newest version. Was a bit surprised that there was no update for the Triton 500 did they stop supporting that too? Now my Vantage Point won't show any of my maps not even the base map, looks like a bunch of white noise, what's up with that? Somebody out there has to know more about this stuff than I do.

Magellan stopped supporting the Triton once the new eXplorist line was released. Part of why this happened is due to the fact that "NEW" Magellan, which is now owned by Mitac inherited the Triton line and there were several problems with the units which Mitac didn't want to address. The best thing to do is to download an older version of the Vantage Point to use with your Triton. The older version can be found at http://www.jungleghost.com.

David

Magellan Insider

Cool thanks Dave. What do you think of the eXplorist line of GPSs? I always thought the triton was a bit buggy so never learned to like too much but it did have a lot of features for the price. Maybe I should just chuck Magellan all together for a Garmin? I have a Garmin Nuvi 500 for the motorcycle/car and like it a bunch but I do need a handheld for my time in the woods.

Edited by bluewaterchief

Magellan stopped supporting the Triton once the new eXplorist line was released. Part of why this happened is due to the fact that "NEW" Magellan, which is now owned by Mitac inherited the Triton line and there were several problems with the units which Mitac didn't want to address. The best thing to do is to download an older version of the Vantage Point to use with your Triton. The older version can be found at http://www.jungleghost.com.

David

Magellan Insider

Thanks for the link to the old version of VP. The new one loses the function to delete all of the caches and waypoints in the unit. You have to exit out, turn on the unit, and delete them from the unit menu. Then reconnect to synch with VP.

It took quite a while, and there was much frustration, but now, I actually like my Triton 500. I use it to backup and supplement my GC. The GC is very poor under tree cover, and it stops updating when close to the cache. (I'm using the 2.15 firmware.) That's when I pull out the Triton. The major drawbacks are the 1000-point limit and that it requires the use of VP.

Vantge is not very good I have it but I use GSAK

Vantge is not very good I have it but I use GSAK

I use both, but Vantage Point is mainly for exporting the combined GPX files from the explorist-GC. (though, I still need to feed & resave from easyGPS to correct some quirk in the format. Otherwise, other programs won't handle the version of GPX for some reason.) VP has it's advantages, and it's disadvantages. GSAK, likewise, MapSource, BaseCamp (Garmin), likewise... It's all how you use them. Just as GSAK may be a great database handler for geocaches, it's not the all-in-one-save-everything either. It's the same, with MITAC, how they view the old eXplorist models too.. they'd rather let a 500 gather dust, than fix it.. Though, honestly, their choice of Win-CE as a OS for these new eXplorist units, is still a poor choice.