Do we want this type of "cache"?

Listen, I think it is a darn site better than some of the locationless things out there. At least you have to follow the coordinates, and it has some heart to it! Maybe not the biggest challenge out there, but I'm not dumping on someone for being proud of their kid.

4497_300.jpg

These kind of virtual caches suck because there is no log book to sign. Even though I hate virtual caches this one meets all the requirements to qualify as a bona-fide geocache.

What would be really cool (or lame depending on your point of view) would be a whole series of Christi caches. This is where we had her 5th birthday party... this is where she crashed her bike...this is where she went to school, etc, etc. A new sport is born....Geostalking! icon_rolleyes.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

These kind of virtual caches suck because there is no log book to sign. Even though I hate virtual caches this one meets all the requirements to qualify as a bona-fide geocache.

What would be really cool (or lame depending on your point of view) would be a whole series of Christi caches. This is where we had her 5th birthday party... this is where she crashed her bike...this is where she went to school, etc, etc. A new sport is born....Geostalking! icon_rolleyes.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I have a question about a new feature.

In regards to this issue surrounding this cache, I posted on the cache page that I think it should be archived using the new option under 'log it'. (I figured I was entitled to my opinion.)

My impression was that this post would trigger some flag in some queue somewhere that Jeremy or one of the other admins (are there other admins?) would read and make a decision on.

I did get an email from GEM this morning (he/she is entitled to his/her opinion too!), but when I went back to check the cache page my log suggesting it be archived was deleted.

If a cache owner can delete these logs, what is the point of having them!?

Quite frustrating.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I dont see the problem with this cache, or with the majority of virtual/locationless caches I have looked up. I havent done any myself yet but the few I ear-marked to try later seemed fun, and were not armchair caches (able to be done with no GPS, sitting at your computer, which I thought was what people were dreading).

If you dont like it, dont do it. But why detract from someone elses fun if it is not adversely affecting you? icon_smile.gif

I dont see the problem with this cache, or with the majority of virtual/locationless caches I have looked up. I havent done any myself yet but the few I ear-marked to try later seemed fun, and were not armchair caches (able to be done with no GPS, sitting at your computer, which I thought was what people were dreading).

If you dont like it, dont do it. But why detract from someone elses fun if it is not adversely affecting you? icon_smile.gif

My concern regarding some (not all) virtual and locationless caches is the -integrity- of our new found sport.

Aside from the fact that it's just plain wierd in a scary stalker sense (how does your daughter feel about it?) - this particular cache really isn't unique (lots of birthing places, mid-wife places, hospitals, etc. out there!) or interesting (why do I care where some random person I don't even know was born?) to the average geocacher, which is why I think it should be archived.

I do however realize that I am not the only one with an opinion, so let's try to keep this discussion civilized.

On the grander scheme, unless I misunderstand it's functionality, the new option to log that a cache should be archived is completely useless.

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

On the grander scheme, unless I misunderstand it's functionality, the new option to log that a cache should be archived is completely useless.

If I understood what Jeremy said in the thread that announced this feature. A archive request log just sends a email with this log information to a special mailbox which an admin type person at geocaching.com can read then they look at the cache in question and at all the logs. The person then decides if the cache should be left alone, or de-activated or archived. Only the PTB at geocaching.com and the owner can really archive a cache.

So either the admin person hasn't read the request to archive, or they have but don't think it should be archived.

It's a virtual cache. There's no grounds for killing it based on what someone might perceive as a lack of coolness factor.

People don't have to visit it if they don't want to.

Also, the picture of Christi is much nicer to look at than the scary, out-of-focus webcam shots of forty-something cachers that are posted everywhere! icon_wink.gif

It's a virtual cache. There's no grounds for killing it based on what someone might perceive as a lack of coolness factor.

People don't have to visit it if they don't want to.

Also, the picture of Christi is much nicer to look at than the scary, out-of-focus webcam shots of forty-something cachers that are posted everywhere! icon_wink.gif

quote:
...this particular cache really isn't unique (lots of birthing places, mid-wife places, hospitals, etc. out there!) or interesting (why do I care where some random person I don't even know was born?) to the average geocacher, which is why I think it should be archived.

It is of interest to the geocaching community in GEMs area. I cant see it being offensive to anyone. So the worst that happens is someone has fun doing another cache, virtual or not. icon_smile.gif

quote:
...this particular cache really isn't unique (lots of birthing places, mid-wife places, hospitals, etc. out there!) or interesting (why do I care where some random person I don't even know was born?) to the average geocacher, which is why I think it should be archived.

It is of interest to the geocaching community in GEMs area. I cant see it being offensive to anyone. So the worst that happens is someone has fun doing another cache, virtual or not. icon_smile.gif

This is a nice cache ... sort of a present from a loving father to his daughter ... and it might even embrass her ... but it fits the bill as a virtual cache in it's true form ... if you don't like this one ... or virtuals in general ... DON'T LOOK FOR THEM ... it's that simple ... so leave the guy alone.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

I think it's a rather moot point to suggest it barchived. it's a relatively new cache which means someone at the top approved it. If it was just approved, odds are they wont reverse themselves right away and archive it. that would mean they screwed up in the first place. Not that I don't think archiving isn't a good ida, I just think once they said yes, don't 2nd guess them... on the other hand, they should be more selective if you ask me...

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!

No different from any other of the hundreds of virtuals already out there. I don't think I'll be planning a vacation around going to this one (or any other virtual for that matter), but I'll bet eventually the realtors will be going outside themselves to figure out what's so dang fascinating about their fire hydrant! Christi is a real cutie. Too bad I'm old enough to be her, well, significantly older big brother.

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

I'm not a fan of virtual caches....but they sure beat the locationless caches. At least you have to have a GPS to find it.

As far as his motivation for placing the cache....we all have our own personal motivation for placing caches.

As far as no log book being available to sign. If you accomplish a goal for yourself, are you so insecure that you must proclaim it to the world in order to get satisfaction?

Take a moment to think about what this father was feeling in his heart when he placed this. After doing so, if your still so wrapped up in this game that you would asked that it be archived because you don't like it or it dosen't fit your standards......seek help!

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

By posting the original thread, I was asked my honest opinion. I gave it, backed it up with (in my opinion) legitimate arguments; now I feel like I'm under attack for it. (Anyone else want a stone to throw?)

I asked in my earlier post that we try to keep this civilized. Calling people names (see above!) adds no value to the discussion and I ask that those individuals politely refrain in the future.

Honestly, if you didn't want opinions on this topic, then you shouldn't have asked!

It's apparent that the majority of the people who have posted to this thread think this cache should stay. Great, no problem. Life goes on. I can live with it.

What is really interesting, there have only been 16 replies by an even fewer number of individuals, while there have been 341 visits to this thread! Next time, perhaps a poll would have been a better forum to truly see what the public opinion is.

Now, back to what is really important - planning my cache hunt for this weekend.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Only problem I found with this cache was with the original visit eighteen years ago, Sure, he took Christi, but what did he leave? The fire hydrant? And did he sign the log book? Betcha he didn't trade even!

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

I'm in this hobby for the fresh air and exercise and finding new places. But I wouldn't be the one to say get rid of virtual caches, I just don't do them. I would however be curious as to what Christi thinks of having all this on the website. It's kind of weird. I agree with GeoQuest about the "geostalking" thing. You've given out her name, birthdate, place of birth and a photo of her. You left out her social security number!

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when i first got here. icon_cool.gif

I'm in this hobby for the fresh air and exercise and finding new places. But I wouldn't be the one to say get rid of virtual caches, I just don't do them. I would however be curious as to what Christi thinks of having all this on the website. It's kind of weird. I agree with GeoQuest about the "geostalking" thing. You've given out her name, birthdate, place of birth and a photo of her. You left out her social security number!

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when i first got here. icon_cool.gif

I think the cache should be allowed. I wouldn't personally visit it, because it doesn't sound interesting to me. But the description is clear, and anyone who chooses to find it knows what they're getting into from the outset.

I did think Geo Quest's suggestion for a multi-cache with various stages with "highlights of Christi's life" would be kind of fun...especially if the cache was placed in celebration of a graduation or special birthday, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

Only problem I found with this cache was with the original visit eighteen years ago, Sure, he took Christi, but what did he leave? The fire hydrant? And did he sign the log book? Betcha he didn't trade even!

I betcha he did! He probably left a whole pile of wheresgeorge bills! (Not that a person is worth less than a pile of money...but really, she was more of a 'travel bug' than a trade item. They brought her with them, afterall...logged her in and back out, and took her with them again.) icon_wink.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

I think the cache should be allowed. I wouldn't personally visit it, because it doesn't sound interesting to me. But the description is clear, and anyone who chooses to find it knows what they're getting into from the outset.

I did think Geo Quest's suggestion for a multi-cache with various stages with "highlights of Christi's life" would be kind of fun...especially if the cache was placed in celebration of a graduation or special birthday, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

I betcha he did! He probably left a whole pile of wheresgeorge bills! (Not that a person is worth less than a pile of money...but really, she was more of a 'travel bug' than a trade item. They brought her with them, afterall...logged her in and back out, and took her with them again.) icon_wink.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me what some people will do to set up a virtual cache. As far as I am concerned this is a free market society archiving this cache is not needed, if people want they will visit this one. I don't see it getting a lot of traffic. You have to wonder how comfortable his daughter is with the information that has been posted. Archiving this cache is pointless as there is nothing patently offensive about it, its just not well thought out.

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

(Anyone else want a stone to throw?)

Sure, I'll take a shot:

The cache is a legitimate virtual cache of relativly limited interest area. It may be more of interest as a piece of real estate in B'ham, regardless of the Christi element, then others realize, and I think the cache is as appropriate to the sport as any other virtual cache that I have no interest in, and the only person who should have a valid concern over this cache is Christi herself. ( I know I would.)

As for the other point, I understand the "This cache should be archived" option is to alert the managment of problems, not a popularity contest or an outlet for personal opinions.

All out of stones.

quote:
Originally posted by Goat6500:

Who cares. The chick's kinda hot. And Legal. Kinda creepy seeing where she was born though....

You are a very disturbed individual, I like that in a person.

I agree with so many of you that it's hard to form a lucid thought. That's never stopped me before so.....

I think Dekaner has a point in that people should be striving for quality.

I just archived one of my caches because in retrospect, the view wasn't as good as it is in other locations.

The hike to the cache was nice enough but by-golly the cache itself should say "cool spot".

The only thing that I *really* liked about this cache is that it (appears to be) accessable to those who are most comfortably mobile on flat even surfaces. (people of wheel of chair)

My wife did some translation work for Ed Roberts. I could see that she was forever changed by having been in his presence. I'm a second hand convert to the cause. Place a "handi-capable" cache in your city today.

somebody here has the wrong idea about geocaching. i always thought of it as a sort of "underground" sport. an "insider" thing. the outside world has no idea about. i have seen some stoooooopid virtual caches, enough that if the description doesnt hit my interest, i wont go (and yes some i think should be archived as a waste of time and space) see, heres the thing. theres a park in my town thats a v-cache. well great whoopty doo... its an awesome park, very nice, but hardly a cache site since its something most people know of and have been to that have never heard of geocaching. a good V-cache is the lone grave outside of town that is from the 1800s of a one year old child. because it is something unique to geocachers, and people who are curious enough to pull over and see what all the flowers are for, (not many people most likely) by that same token this is a good v-cache. not because the building itself is significant or unique. its that understanding of its history that makes it so. a thousand people a day may pass by it but how many when they do can make that kind of a connection, and after all isnt that what its all about? we have our own little community of people, all connected by the cache. its an exclusive club, a "secret" society. only those with a sense of adventure and the good fortune to have heard of the game, by being reffered or stumbling upon a cache are let in. i find it a bit disturbing that someone would come in here and say "i cant get this cache archived and it frustrates me" as i said. im not a big fan of locationless or V-caches, heck i practicaly hate them, but for the sake of this and the few that are like it... i can accept that the feature is there. if you want to complain about a v-cache complain about public parks or "nice views" those have nothing to do with geocaching (unless something is hidden there, or there is a history; like this building) so i say vivela this V-cache

Gee, you don't like a cache so it should be archived. What a stupid reason. That cache good or bad as it may be has more character and soul than 95% of the whiners in this thread. But you know what? When it's your turn and your stupid cache is being debated as to merit, worth, and wether it has a full bodied flavor capturing the very essence of geocaching, I'll be there defending your right to place that cache every bit as loud as the whining in this thread.

I have to agree with Vash the Stampede--"If it doesn't interest me I don't go!" I probably wouldn't go after this cache, but in a weak moment, or from out of town, or whatever, I might stop by and pick it off. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I have to agree with Vash the Stampede--"If it doesn't interest me I don't go!" I probably wouldn't go after this cache, but in a weak moment, or from out of town, or whatever, I might stop by and pick it off. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!