coin/name copyright

ItTakesAThief

don't know about south park, but star trek (creation entertainment,) tends to watch their copyrighted materials rather closely. i'll let the ancient ones verify it, but I believe they specifically granted approval for a memorial geocoin several years ago. it takes a thief should still be the property of the discovery channel

not much of an answer, but I am not an attorney, and this is most certainly a legal question

ILYK

Anyone producing a coin with copyrighted material is opening themselves up to legal action unless they obtain permission from whoever owns the copyright. When I produced my Bob Dylan coin I signed an agreement with Milton Glaser for the front artwork, but could not reach a deal with Sony for the picture I wanted to use on the back. I ended up creating my own. I have also had to stop using poppies on my Remembrance Day coins because the Royal Canadian Legion owns the copyright on the combination of the poppy and remembrance.

I think for now geocoins have been too much of a niche market with relatively small numbers being produced of any one design for them to be noticed. I have never heard of legal action being taken against a designer. But it would only take one hit on a google search or ebay listing for the right (or wrong) person to take notice.

Anyone producing a coin with copyrighted material is opening themselves up to legal action unless they obtain permission from whoever owns the copyright. When I produced my Bob Dylan coin I signed an agreement with Milton Glaser for the front artwork, but could not reach a deal with Sony for the picture I wanted to use on the back. I ended up creating my own. I have also had to stop using poppies on my Remembrance Day coins because the Royal Canadian Legion owns the copyright on the combination of the poppy and remembrance.

I think for now geocoins have been too much of a niche market with relatively small numbers being produced of any one design for them to be noticed. I have never heard of legal action being taken against a designer. But it would only take one hit on a google search or ebay listing for the right (or wrong) person to take notice.

Thanks for the input, I am just a curious newby.....ABout my name , we were trying to up with something for geocaching...and this became the best vote..ItTakesAThief....didnt know if we should change it or leave it.....

I would think that your geocaching name would be fine because you are gaining anything from and the title itself is based on an old English proverb but if you were to use it on a coin or other items then it could possibly be a problem. I am not a lawyer so this is just my opinion based on reading a little bit about copyrighted material in the past.

I think on its own your caching name is fine. Even on a coin. It is the context that is important. If you put an image from the original 1968 show (or the 2005 show, or Coolio's debut album) you might have some 'splainin to do. :)

Exactly.

Having a username such as Tigger is going to be fine, but once you use the likeness as a logo that is potentially commercial or even distributed then you may get a cease and desist letter. Each company has different legalize concerning their copyrights, (for instance Lucas Film the parent of Star Wars allows fan art, altho this might change since Disney is buying them).