How good is the GPS in Samsung Smart Phones?

StopTheWorld

I'm wondering if anyone out there who is using a Samsung smart phone for geocaching could give me feedback on the reliability of the GPS in your phone? I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S (yes, the first model, the I-9000) and it is useless for geocaching. It often has my co-ords out by 2km! I am accustomed to using my Garmin E-Trex which gives fairly accurate readings but unfortunately was misplaced when we moved to Malaysia, and rather than buying a new GPS, I am thinking of doing geocaching with the new phone I am planning to buy soon (Samsung Note 3).

Does anyone know of an external aerial we could add to improve the GPS signal?

I'd like to hear from others who are using newer Samsung devices for caching, especially those with GLONASS? Are you happy with it, or are you hanging out to buy a real GPS? There is a cache near us in a tea plantation that I would like to find, but unfortunately that isn't going to happen when my location is out by 2km and the clue reads, "under a tea bush!". Have you ever seen the tea bushes at a tea plantation? I'd like to be put within a few metres in the open, and within 5 or 10 under tree cover.

Thanks for sharing!

My Samsung Galaxy Nexus seemed to have very good accuracy -- on par with my Garmins -- even under moderate tree cover. However, it always took 10-15 seconds to obtain a fix even if it had one less than a minute previously. Worse, it would sometimes simply refuse to get a fix for 15 minutes. Of course this always happened after work, when I was trying to find a cache on the way home. I tried all manner of solutions (mostly involving rooting the phone), but none worked consistently.

Now I have a Nexus 4 (by LG), and it gets a fix in about five seconds. It takes a little longer for the first fix of the day. Accuracy seems a little poorer, though.

I used to use a bluetooth GPS when using my Galaxy S as I found it much better than the inbuilt one. It only cost about £15 and another benefit is that the battery lasted longer on the phone.

But after buying a 'proper' GPS I only ever use a phone (now an S3) if I don't have the GPS with me.

I also have trouble getting a GPS fix with my Galaxy S, especially when I am out of cell tower range. It often won't find any satellites at all.

Those of you who have better reception with other Samsung phones, does that include when you have no cell tower signal?

I also have trouble getting a GPS fix with my Galaxy S, especially when I am out of cell tower range. It often won't find any satellites at all.

Those of you who have better reception with other Samsung phones, does that include when you have no cell tower signal?

I used my Galaxy Note to navigate across Nevada and the GPS worked fine. The problem for me was downloading Google maps.as I moved. If I started with cell coverage and lost coverage it remembered a lot of my route maps. If I started with no cell bars I couldn't even load the route.

I have a Galaxy s4 and a Garmin Oregon 450 and find that both are great....The Oregon is a bit more accurate in the thick woods. I tend to use the phone for all around caching and only use the Garmin now for long hike/bikes, mainly for it's battery life....which the phone doesn't not last long away from a charging source :)

Prefer the phone, because I like to log as I go, saves a lot of time at the end of the day not having to long a days worth of caches!!!!!

PS My caching buddy uses his Galaxy s3 in the same manner as is happy with it's accuracy also.....

Edited by Team.Hepler