How about Lunarcaching?

seneca

Caching on the moon is fine, as long as the caches are not on private property. I think i still have my certificate of ownership for the forty acres i bought up there. Do you remember that website? You can also buy martian parcels.

Too bad none of them come with sexy robot daughters and spider-cows.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

Caching on the moon is fine, as long as the caches are not on private property.

The Lunar-NPS has already banned Geocaching! It's discussed in one of their Morning Reports. icon_biggrin.gif

051899sci-moon-photos_3.jpg

---Early Lunar Geocacher---

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

You should actually post those coordinates as virtual caches, only have them correspond with coordinates on Earth. Another words, find those same coordinates on Earth. Post a picture to log a find.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/2573_200.jpg

Good idea! (Except for the two in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean) The rest are central Africa! Good excuse for a Safari vacation! "Please confirm your find by posting a picture of one elephant and two giraffes!" icon_biggrin.gif

1. The prime meridian (zero longitude) was, I believe, once defined by a crater called Mostling. I think that the standard now is based on the mean (average) line connecting the earth and moon.

On Mars, the prime meridian is centered on a crater called Airy, which is enormously appropriate, because Sir George Airy was one of the scientists who established the Greenwich meridian on Earth.

http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0102/17mgsairy0/

On Mercury the prime meridian doesn't go through a crater. Instead +20 does... it goes through the crater Hun Kal, which mean "twenty" in Mayan!

Latitude is, of course, based on the spin axis, just like earth.

2. I think on the moon we have some future landmarks. All the spacecraft that have landed will last for thousands of years without much deterioration except from meteorites. So, visiting the Apollo 11 lunar module (the base) would make a lunarcache for instance.

quote:
Originally posted by White Rabbit:

Oregone,

Is there still a site or somewhere where I can buy some acreage on the moon (or Mars)? Or were you just kidding? I know that you can buy stars, but I've never seen a place to buy parcels of the moon. That'd be freakin' cool!

There is, but i can't seem to find the info. It's actually kinda cool. They send you a big map of the moon with your 'property lines' clearly marked. I'm off to the anxiety closet now to find it.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by White Rabbit:

Oregone,

Is there still a site or somewhere where I can buy some acreage on the moon (or Mars)? Or were you just kidding? I know that you can buy stars, but I've never seen a place to buy parcels of the moon. That'd be freakin' cool!

I have some property on the moon. I'll sell it to you for $20 an acre, which is $10 cheaper than anyone else offers. Just send me a Paypal payment and I'll send you an official looking deed...

Seriously, you're paying $30 for a piece of paper you can make yourself on your printer. Noone owns the moon or any part of it. Noone owns any solar system body.

The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 says:

"Outer Space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, shall be FREE for exploration and use by all states without discrimination of any kind on a basis of equality and in accordance with the international law, there shall be FREE access to all areas of celestial bodies."

The Moon Treaty of 1979, Article 11, Point 3 states:

"Neither the surface, nor the subsurface of the moon, nor any part thereof or natural resources in place, shall become property of any State, international, intergovernmental, or non-governmental organization, national organization, or non-governmental entity or of any natural person. The placement of personnel, space vehicles, equipment, facilities, stations, and installations on or below the surface or subsurface, shall not create a right of ownership over the surface or the subsurface of the moon or any areas thereof."

Parsa

?

[This message was edited by Parsa on April 08, 2002 at 01:35 PM.]

I went to an auction of space memorabilia at Christie's a couple of years ago & you could bid on a a piece of equipment (lander or robot probe or something) that Russia had landed on the moon. The only problem was it was still there & shipping back wasn't included!! This was an actual auction that they had when the Russian space program started to crumble along with the economy. Thay had all kinds of neat, actually flown stuff, mostly bought up by museums.

Wherever you go, there you are!

quote:
Originally posted by Parsa:

Seriously, you're paying $30 for a piece of paper you can make yourself on your printer. Noone owns the moon or any part of it. Noone owns any solar system body.

The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 says:

"Outer Space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, shall be FREE for exploration and use by all states without discrimination of any kind on a basis of equality and in accordance with the international law, there shall be FREE access to all areas of celestial bodies."

The Moon Treaty of 1979, Article 11, Point 3 states:

"Neither the surface, nor the subsurface of the moon, nor any part thereof or natural resources in place, shall become property of any State, international, intergovernmental, or non-governmental organization, national organization, or non-governmental entity or of any natural person. The placement of personnel, space vehicles, equipment, facilities, stations, and installations on or below the surface or subsurface, shall not create a right of ownership over the surface or the subsurface of the moon or any areas thereof."

Parsa

?

[This message was edited by Parsa on April 08, 2002 at 01:35 PM.]

If I decided to set up shop on the moon and enforce my claim, who do they send to enforce the treaty? just in case. icon_confused.gif Is that the UN's jurisdiction?