Can i move a cache far from its original place?

orienteeer

You cannot, but your reviewer can. Not that they would move the coordinates that far (at least I don't think they would).

You are much better off, I think, to archive the current troublesome one, and create a new cache using the same container elsewhere.

No need to go through a reviewer to archive it, but you do need to go through the review process for the new placement.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If it's going to be miles from the original location, you should archive it and submit a new cache request online for the new location. If you're concerned about the name, give the new cache a similar name. For instance, we owned a cache named "The Leprechaun's Pot of Gold," which we had to move because too much poison ivy grew up next to it. Since the new location was about 1/4 of a mile away, we called the replacement cache "The NEW Leprechaun's Pot of Gold." The cachers who had found the first cache were then able to find the new one as a new "smilie." Of course, when you enable the new cache, it will have a different GC number from the first one.

one of my caches kept getting broken, vandalized, muggled, raccoon-ized, whatever. is it ok if i move it miles away & keep the same cache name, & just adjust the location/co-ordinates? or do i have to get permission from a reviewer to post it as a new cache? thanks!

You can't move the cache more than 528 feet without the help of your reviewer.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.12. Editing a Published Listing: Major Change.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=76

As the others have said, moving a cache that much changes the experience completely. You would be better to archive the old one, and submit a new cache listing for the new location for review.

The new cache listing will go through the same review process as any new listing.

Not sure why you would want to keep the old name for a new cache, but that's up to you.

B.

As already posted cache owners are limited to 528'. Your reviewer might do it for you, but if it will be a new caching experience at a different location why wouldn't you want to list it as a new cache?

If keeping the name is what you really want to do, but you haven't considered the other issues raised here you can just list it as "My favorite Cache v2.0."

Edited by wimseyguy

I've seen a puzzle cache moved a few miles, keeping the same name and the same GC code. But in that case, the point of the cache was the puzzle, and the in-theme location. Moving it a few miles to a different example of the same kind of in-theme location didn't really change the experience much.

But in most cases, I would expect the cache to be archived, and the container to be reused for a new listing at the new location a few miles away.

one of my caches kept getting broken, vandalized, muggled, raccoon-ized, whatever. is it ok if i move it miles away & keep the same cache name, & just adjust the location/co-ordinates? or do i have to get permission from a reviewer to post it as a new cache? thanks!

This comes up often enough that I will respectfully ask, why?

I'm honestly curious why someone would move a container miles away from the original location and then want to keep the same cache listing.

I've seen a puzzle cache moved a few miles, keeping the same name and the same GC code. But in that case, the point of the cache was the puzzle, and the in-theme location. Moving it a few miles to a different example of the same kind of in-theme location didn't really change the experience much.

I moved a puzzle cache about a mile or so. The cache experience was mostly about the cache description (it was a puzzle tutorial), the desk puzzle, and the field puzzle. Not so much about the location.

At that time, the system allowed me to move the final coordinates all by myself. (Maybe it still does?) I didn't change the posted coordinates. I sent our Volunteer Reviewer a note informing them of the change, and they had no problem keeping the GC code the same.

I had a reviewer help me move a cache a couple of miles once.

It was originally a three-stage Multi. Stage One was a sign where you gathered information to get the coordinates for Stage Two. There was a container there that gave you the coordinates for Stage Three. When the original sign went missing I requested to have the posted coordinates moved to Stage Two. It was still a Multi, the final hadn't moved, the overall experience was about the same so no need for a new GC code. There are times when asking a Reviewer to help move a cache.

In the case of moving a Traditional several miles? Archive and republish.