PQs and the I Phone

acachebox

Caching in an area with no phone signal?

Load a PQ of the area before you get there.

Are you saying that a PQ can be loaded to the I Phone? Why and what for since that information is all ready there?

My question is why is there any mention of PQs on the I Phone?

It means you can still use it even if you don't have a data connection.

Caching in an area with no phone signal?

Load a PQ of the area before you get there.

Are you saying that a PQ can be loaded to the I Phone? Why and what for since that information is all ready there?

My question is why is there any mention of PQs on the I Phone?

It means you can still use it even if you don't have a data connection.

I am still a little confused. I have a half dozen PQs on my computer. Why and how did just one of the show up on my I Phone? I never loaded it so why just that one.

I doubt the I Phone could use it without a data connection since the app requires a connection to load.

I doubt the I Phone could use it without a data connection since the app requires a connection to load.

Well, the iPhone can use it (a Pocket Query) without a data connection. You load it before venturing out of a service area. That is the idea behind using a PQ with a smart phone... for when there is no data service. The GPS chip within the phone does not require cell service to function.

Not everyone lives or 'caches in areas that are covered by cell service.

Well, the iPhone can use it (a Pocket Query) without a data connection. You load it before venturing out of a service area. That is the idea behind using a PQ with a smart phone... for when there is no data service. The GPS chip within the phone does not require cell service to function.

Not everyone lives or 'caches in areas that are covered by cell service.

OK

How did the one PQ that is on my phone get there and how do I load others? An interesting idea but not a useful one if I have no idea how to do it.

Only you or "The Shadow" could tell us how you got that PQ on the phone -- unless... you aren't the only one using it.

I can get into the "Boss'" iPhone easily enough and I can even find the geocaching app, but as far as making many touches or "clicks" on that screen... I will just get into trouble. One way or another, but trouble nonetheless.

Just sayin'... they'll do a lot of stuff, probably much of it you haven't even discovered, as of yet.

It appears that on 30 April you asked how to load a PQ onto your phone and were even told how to do it. I know... you later rephrased that question referring to a GPSr unit, but by then, you had been given the answer on how to do it....

Only you or "The Shadow" could tell us how you got that PQ on the phone -- unless... you aren't the only one using it.

I can get into the "Boss'" iPhone easily enough and I can even find the geocaching app, but as far as making many touches or "clicks" on that screen... I will just get into trouble. One way or another, but trouble nonetheless.

Just sayin'... they'll do a lot of stuff, probably much of it you haven't even discovered, as of yet.

It appears that on 30 April you asked how to load a PQ onto your phone and were even told how to do it. I know... you later rephrased that question referring to a GPSr unit, but by then, you had been given the answer on how to do it....

Since you have me at a disadvantage how about a link to my April posting and i will see if that answers the question.

OK -- http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=310448&view=findpost&p=5243353&hl=&fromsearch=1 .

I had to get to it through your profile: See the Forum Posts for This User.

I found what you are referring to

Open the geocaching app, at the bottom click on Pocket Queries. This will show you a list of your created queries, click on the one you want. This will show you list or map view, you can interchange. Upper right corner click on the "..." and choose Save to Offline List. You can now access your PQ's from the main screen by selecting "Saved" at the bottom.

However it does not explain how the one PQ got on my I Phone nor does it work with that PQ if I attempt to follow the instructions. I get asked to create a New List.

I accept the fact that those that have worked there way through this find it odd that others can't do the same. However I have not found any reasonable source of instructions for many areas of the use of the Geocaching app thus I ask questions. I have not found a way to log the grab of a TB from the I Phone and have to wait till I get back to my computer to do so. But don't change the subject to that issue. I am only now interested in a PQ to the I Phone and how to use it once placed on the I Phone.

...And just what is wrong with logging a TB from home? That's the way it has been done for neigh-on 13 years. The same as logging a Find, DNF or any other type of log?

I cannot, and I doubt that any other person, can tell you how it came to be that a PQ you had ran is on your phone. We could only guess that you did it... quite possibly by mistake. Such things can happen, even more-so when not completely familiar with the device and/or the app.

We use our GPSr as primary, the iPhone as a secondary unit. Pocket Queries are routinely loaded to the GPSr, we have never had one that I have ran appear on the iPhone -- and yes, the phone is included in/on our (only) geocaching account.

I whole-hardheartedly agree with you regarding the instructions for the use of the app. I have not found it to be "user-friendly" in those regards.... but then, I am considered to be a dinosaur, anyway! :):lol::lol:

I even carry a lensatic compass 'cuz I don't trust electronic devices. Besides, its batteries never fail. :rolleyes:

I have not found a way to log the grab of a TB from the I Phone and have to wait till I get back to my computer to do so. But don't change the subject to that issue. I am only now interested in a PQ to the I Phone and how to use it once placed on the I Phone.

As far as the TB goes, simply press the "trackable" button at the bottom of the Groundspeak app and enter its the proper id number. As to the pocket query, if you create one on the web site, you can press the pocket query button on the main page and get a list of the queries you created. You can then list (or map) the resulting caches. Pocket queries can be helpful not only to cache offline but to filter the search in a number of ways so that you can get the caches you want. Since you can load a thousand caches for each query, you can look at a far wider area than the typical search on the app. This allows you to plan routes more effectively or spot the caches that you might be most interested in doing if they are outside the search range of the app.

I generally use a different app, geosphere, that allows me to combine different pocket queries, filter the results, map the ones I want to see, and (if I decide it is better to use my handheld) to export a new gpx file that I can load onto my gpsr in the field (additional gadget needed). But even on the Groundspeak app, they offer greater flexibility than the "advanced search" functions (unless you want to do a keyword search for a particular area).

Edited by geodarts

I have not found a way to log the grab of a TB from the I Phone and have to wait till I get back to my computer to do so. But don't change the subject to that issue. I am only now interested in a PQ to the I Phone and how to use it once placed on the I Phone.

As far as the TB goes, simply press the "trackable" button at the bottom of the Groundspeak app and enter its the proper id number. As to the pocket query, if you create one on the web site, you can press the pocket query button on the main page and get a list of the queries you created. You can then list (or map) the resulting caches. Pocket queries can be helpful not only to cache offline but to filter the search in a number of ways so that you can get the caches you want. Since you can load a thousand caches for each query, you can look at a far wider area than the typical search on the app. This allows you to plan routes more effectively or spot the caches that you might be most interested in doing if they are outside the search range of the app.

I generally use a different app, geosphere, that allows me to combine different pocket queries, filter the results, map the ones I want to see, and (if I decide it is better to use my handheld) to export a new gpx file that I can load onto my gpsr in the field (additional gadget needed). But even on the Groundspeak app, they offer greater flexibility than the "advanced search" functions (unless you want to do a keyword search for a particular area).

When I read your post I though I was making progress. Then I tried the comments.

Yes I can open a page and search for a given TB. However once opened I can only write a note. There is not a way to DROP the TB into a given cache. Would that note be save and transmitted once I got back to a network connection? Would that note then cause the TB to be logged into a new cache?

I turned the internet and wifi connection OFF on the I Phone and attempted to locate a cache within the area defined by the PQ that is on the I Phone. I get a message "that there was a problem connecting to Geocaching.com" That leaves me to believe the I Phone requires a connection to function and would not work in an area without a connection.

However it does not explain how the one PQ got on my I Phone nor does it work with that PQ if I attempt to follow the instructions. I get asked to create a New List.

I accept the fact that those that have worked there way through this find it odd that others can't do the same. However I have not found any reasonable source of instructions for many areas of the use of the Geocaching app thus I ask questions. I have not found a way to log the grab of a TB from the I Phone and have to wait till I get back to my computer to do so. But don't change the subject to that issue. I am only now interested in a PQ to the I Phone and how to use it once placed on the I Phone.

In order to load MORE PQ's into your phone - you have to RUN THE PQ's and they have to be in the 'READY FOR DOWNLOAD' before you can get them into your phone. And actually..... when they are in your folder 'Pocket Queries Ready for Download' - it looks like they automatically shows up on your phone.

I just checked my phone and I have 5 PQ's in my phone that I never requested to download. They are the same 5 that are in the download folder. So, I would say...they automatically download the first time you open the APP (with cell coverage or wifi)

PQ's on your phone? What's the purpose of them?..... They have many purposes for many people. YOU - just haven't your own purpose yet. If you don't have a purpose yet - then just ignore the ones that are in your phone.

Edited by Lieblweb

When I read your post I though I was making progress. Then I tried the comments.

Yes I can open a page and search for a given TB. However once opened I can only write a note. There is not a way to DROP the TB into a given cache. Would that note be save and transmitted once I got back to a network connection? Would that note then cause the TB to be logged into a new cache?

I turned the internet and wifi connection OFF on the I Phone and attempted to locate a cache within the area defined by the PQ that is on the I Phone. I get a message "that there was a problem connecting to Geocaching.com" That leaves me to believe the I Phone requires a connection to function and would not work in an area without a connection.

Ok....wait.... If what you are saying is true in your statement above.....

You can't DROP a TB until it is within your inventory. That is why you can only see 'write note' You must get the TB into your inventory first...before dropping it.

Personally, I don't know how people use the phone without coverage. They say it can be done..... I've tried it..... and the phone & App were pathetically slow and locked up constantly. I never tried it again. I bought a handheld GPS. Problem solved.

Edited by Lieblweb

The TB I was attempting to log is in my inventory.

I have come to the conclusion that no one has any idea of what if anything the I Phone can do other than simple search and logs. It will not work with Geocaching without internet. You can't log a TB drop with it.

Thanks for any attempt at help but we are just spinning wheels here.

If you have PQ's on the "Ready to download" page, the iphone will see them.

The iphone will not download them, unless you want to download them, and press the correct buttons to do so... It takes me a little while to work my way around it, when I do it!

There was (may still be) a peculiarity, that if you ran a PQ as 'Run once and delete' the iphone could not see or download that PQ. (But the PQ would still show on the "Ready to Download" page.)

Downloading a PQ to the phone allows you to cache without phone coverage. You can log with a Field Note. Field Notes can be saved, and sent to the cache site when back in phone coverage.

I use Field Notes, and log at home on the computer. So much easier!

If I'm in a new area, I will often save the caches from a search in to an offline list. It's easier, saves data, and allows for loss of signal, as once the caches are on the phone I can still search and log them via Field Notes.

Caching by phone is not easy.

Things seem to change at most updates, so what you have already learnt, needs to be re-learnt!

But play with it. Things do get easier.

You can drop a TB into a cache at the same time you log the cache online through the app - such as with a found log or even with a note. Press the trackable drop/visit button before you post a log with the app.

Caches can be saved to the Groundspeak app for use offline. To save a PQ, you have to be online first. If you list the results of a pocket query, there is a button with three dots on the top. Press that and you can save a PQ for offline use. Saving with a wifi connection will be faster than using a cellular connection.

You can drop a TB into a cache at the same time you log the cache online through the app - such as with a found log or even with a note. Press the trackable drop/visit button before you post a log with the app.

Caches can be saved to the Groundspeak app for use offline. To save a PQ, you have to be online first. If you list the results of a pocket query, there is a button with three dots on the top. Press that and you can save a PQ for offline use. Saving with a wifi connection will be faster than using a cellular connection.

OK your first comment is correct and I can now see how it works.

However as to using the I Phone Offline I still get a message that there is a problem connecting to Geocaching when I turn the internet and wifi off. If it won't work under those conditions I can see how it would work in the field when out of range of a tower.

If you can explain that it can work beyond the range of a tower please advise.

However as to using the I Phone Offline I still get a message that there is a problem connecting to Geocaching when I turn the internet and wifi off. If it won't work under those conditions I can see how it would work in the field when out of range of a tower.

Although I generally use a different app I never have had a problem with using the iPhone to find a cache outside of cellular range. So as an experiment I put my phone in airplane mode and went to a cache I had saved for offline use on the Groundspeak app. It worked fine. The only time I get an error message is when I try to access Groundspeak servers through the app when I am offline.

As discussed above, you have to save the cache or the pocket query while on line. From the cache description (or the pocket query list) simply press the button at the top with the three dots. It will allow you to save the cache or caches for offline use. Then when you are offline you can press the button at the bottom that is labeled "saved" and you should have access to that data. When you offline, the iPhone's own gpsr chip should still work.

It will not allow you to post a found cache to the Groundspeak servers while offline but you can save a log and upload it later.

Edited by geodarts

The TB I was attempting to log is in my inventory.

I have come to the conclusion that no one has any idea of what if anything the I Phone can do other than simple search and logs. It will not work with Geocaching without internet. You can't log a TB drop with it.

Thanks for any attempt at help but we are just spinning wheels here.

Have you tried turning off the iphone and rebooting it?

Have you tried deleting the geocaching APP and re-syncing?

Is the App recognizing that you are logged in?

Does the TB's show up 'in your inventory' on the APP?

The Geocaching APP works just fine for everything it was designed to do. There's gotta be something wrong with the APP, computer glitch, or something else. Unless someone is able to sit down with you in person to SEE exactly what you're not able to do.... it's very hard to try and remedy this for you.

Here's something else to try:

Turn on the App

Go to pocket queries

If you don't have a pocket query listed , then you need to run one. Once it runs and in your 'Ready for Download' - they should show up in your phone. If not, close & re-open the App.

Note: this must be done WITH cell coverage or Wifi.

Once you're in the App looking at one of the pocket queries..... Click on one of the pocket queries.

The caches will show up in a list.

At the top Right corner, hit the 3 dots.

Hit SAVE TO OFFLINE LIST

This might take some time, depending on the size of your PQ. You can name it whatever you like.

Then....

Go back to the main APP screen.

Hit SAVED

Pick the PQ that you just saved under 'Saved Lists'

Then... You can put the phone in Airplane mode to force the Groundspeak app to go offline... Then click on one of the caches in your saved list and hit 'Navigate to Geocache'

The map should come up.... But other than that.... I just experimented with it myself.