HELP - Kidnapped Travel Bug

McM_Pt

Unfortunately there isn't a great deal you can do, as far as I am aware there are no rules, guidelines yes but no rules that must be followed at all costs... You release these things knowing that sooner or later they will go astray. How long has this person had your tb? Are they still actively caching? Though it is very annoying when it happens (and there are many threads on similar topics). I would say, if you find it that much of a problem it is probably better not to release any more and just enjoy the hunt.

We've had the same problem. Our TB Alan Gator (TB5QVMG) was picked up by the very first person on 6-9-13 by okitoohio. That person still has it in their possession and has not moved it along. He said "cute TB" and that was all we've heard from him. I've sent 3 emails attempting to contact him, no response. Very frustrating. Someone on a Facebook geocaching page said I could use the number on the dog tag and send out a new one. But, this dog tag was a tech tag, so all of that is lost. Any suggestions for getting this guy to give it up?

Signed, JamesЯUs with a backwards "R" which doesn't seem to work well for the forum pages (so we had to create a second account with a forward R in order to participate in the forums).

We've had the same problem. Our TB Alan Gator (TB5QVMG) was picked up by the very first person on 6-9-13 by okitoohio. That person still has it in their possession and has not moved it along. He said "cute TB" and that was all we've heard from him. I've sent 3 emails attempting to contact him, no response. Very frustrating. Someone on a Facebook geocaching page said I could use the number on the dog tag and send out a new one. But, this dog tag was a tech tag, so all of that is lost. Any suggestions for getting this guy to give it up?

Signed, JamesЯUs with a backwards "R" which doesn't seem to work well for the forum pages (so we had to create a second account with a forward R in order to participate in the forums).

It hasn't been that long.

You should be able to get the other code from the Trackable page.

Already sent a message requesting to drop in any cache and no answer.

I rarely receive a reply when using the PM system, even from active cachers, regardless of the message. Someday, I shall try to figure out exactly what's going on with that. :anicute:

Did you at least provide full info about the problem, on the TB's page? If cachers used the online log system, they could see that the message is available to be read.

Edited by kunarion

If you go to the trackable page, as long as you are logged in as the owner of the trackable, the trackable number should appear at the bottom of the right hand section "trackable options". Since the person who took it last logged a cache on the same day as this was taken and was last logged into geocaching.com on the same day this was taken, then you can assume a few things. One, they lost interest and forgot the trackable and it is sitting in a drawer or bag somewhere, or two they are secretly keeping it cause they loved it so much they decided to leave all morals behind and steal it, or three, they got busy and geocaching took a back burner for the past few months, or four, they died or became incapacitated and no one knows what to do about the little cute alligator sitting on the desk.

I have moved lots of trackables and also am helping make proxies to move those that have gotten lost or otherwise aren't moving along to be resurrected. You can wait it out a little more, you can resend another one out (getting your trackable number as I stated above) or mark it as missing and see if the person responds to that.

Not much more you can do, but the trackable number is yours and you can access it! :) I hope I helped.

I don't see any of your trackables in some else's possession, just caches and you.

Generally, I don't worry about it. As long as they are caching I just assume it'll get dropped off eventually.

It's the TB2X0RD not mime, and the user stop caching.

The same happens with a lot of TB's I move. And I'm sure were I drop them, cause usually I take a pic and post it the the TB page.

The similar happened to one of my TB2J12J, stolen on the 1st cache I've droped, now I've released the copy.

Conclusion: TB's can't be funny, and always attach a giant instruction kit.

It's the TB2X0RD not mime, and the user stop caching.

The same happens with a lot of TB's I move. And I'm sure were I drop them, cause usually I take a pic and post it the the TB page.

The similar happened to one of my TB2J12J, stolen on the 1st cache I've droped, now I've released the copy.

Conclusion: TB's can't be funny, and always attach a giant instruction kit.

If you don't own it, you should log it and let it go. You don't know the agreement between the TB Owner and the current holder. Perhaps the current holder has permission to keep it. Not very likely, but it's up to the TB Owner to take action if they wish. Maybe the TO gave up on it, maybe they plan to re-release the TB someday. All Trackables, whether Travel Bugs or Geocoins, are serialized and registered to an owner, and can be returned to play or returned to the owner at any time. Maybe the current hijacker will die (so sad, he will be missed :anibad:) and by some freak of nature, he produced honest children. :anicute:

You don't need "giant instruction kit". If people can't understand the phrase "Don't Keep Me", more words won't help. <_<

Edited by kunarion