Not user freindly

will.mylet

I have just paid for a premium account and paid for the app and it is the worst thing I have ever done. We found our first cache using the free app and account without any hassle. Now we have paid for it we can not use it seems like a waste of money. I cant create an offlie list on my phone and instead of being out geocaching I am at home trying to add geocaches to my phone and getting frustrated. If you are going to make people pay make sure it works and is easy to use. Going to keep trying but desperate to go out. I am using android and I have created lists on the preimum account on my computer but phone says no lists exsists yet - You can create lists to organise geocaches. When I search it brings up the geocache but no option to save it to my phone. I will get no mobile data coverage where I am going someone please help so I can get out and enjoy my day!!!!!!!

We found our first cache using the free app and account without any hassle. Now we have paid for it we can not use it seems like a waste of money. I cant create an offlie list on my phone and instead of being out geocaching I am at home trying to add geocaches to my phone and getting frustrated.

You may use the paid App exactly the same way as you did the free one, except that it will allow you to hunt all the caches in an area. The free one was limited (to three caches, I think?).

When you are away from the data coverage area, the paid App is useful. But you'll need to load everything in advance. You can save a couple of caches, one at a time. Or you can save a whole set of caches using a "Pocket Query" (there are help links on the Pocket Query page to get you started). It's easy, and you don't have to worry about all the PQ options. Just create a new Pocket Query, select a spot (a central cache or a zip code or whatever, for the place you intend to go) in the "From Origin" box, select a day for the PQ to run (such as today), and wait til it runs. In the App, tap "Pocket Queries", and once your new PQ is listed, tap it and it loads, go get caches. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

I use the app exclusively for my caching (Android version) and it appears to have updated since I last opened it. However looking at it now, there is a menu button in the top right corner of the screen and one of the options is "Save to offline list". This saves the cache page on your phone so you won't need reception to get the details. When you go to search for the cache it appears that the map is saved offline as well and of course you don't need reception for the compass to work.

The "official" GC app is inferior in many ways:

- Does not pull bookmark lists from the site

- Does not have a true 'live map' option

- Does not pull in any 'personal notes' you type on the website cache page

- Does not allow you to post photos to a trackable log

- Does not allow you to project a waypoint (e.g., "320 feet a bearing of 122 degrees true north")

These are all things I can do with other, less expensive, apps.

The "official" GC app is inferior in many ways:

- Does not pull bookmark lists from the site

- Does not have a true 'live map' option

- Does not pull in any 'personal notes' you type on the website cache page

- Does not allow you to post photos to a trackable log

- Does not allow you to project a waypoint (e.g., "320 feet a bearing of 122 degrees true north")

These are all things I can do with other, less expensive, apps.

Yesterday I discovered you can see the personal notes from the iPhone app (including from a pocket query you have downloaded) by selecting the "..." for other options, see attached.

I was glad as I was in the field and had just found the N coordinates for a puzzle cache... but the W coords were stored in a personal note and I didn't have them written down. I also didn't have signal on the phone but I had a PQ...

a0f3d3b2-8ee5-4661-a1d7-19e8fc7c8f69.png?rnd=0.1259075

Since you mention free app and you are using Android, I am assuming you are not using the official Groundspeak app, as last I checked the free Groundspeak app was only available for iPhone.

If you are having a problem using the "free app" and it's not Groundspeak's, then consider trying the official app or one that utilizes the Live API.

Since you mention free app and you are using Android, I am assuming you are not using the official Groundspeak app, as last I checked the free Groundspeak app was only available for iPhone.

If you are having a problem using the "free app" and it's not Groundspeak's, then consider trying the official app or one that utilizes the Live API.

EDIT: oops, sorry! didn't see that you were talking about the into app.... :shocked:

Actually, there is an Official app for android. I used it recently when out in AZ... It's works pretty well but I personally like the iOS app better. The layout is a little weird (maybe it's just because I'm used to the iPad app), it's a little more sluggish, and it had some glitches (it wouldn't work if you were connected to both a wifi & 4G network). Actually I just used it to find the caches and I used a computer to log them. :( But it depends on peoples tastes. Some people may like it, some people may not.

Edited by CEH2000