Pocket Cache?

Randywb766

Just wondering what the advantage of using the pocket cache option is, and how I use it? Seems kind of pointless as I am using my iPhone. Thanks for the help!

I think you are referring to a Pocket Query.

It's not pointless at all -- leave the cell service area and see what your iPhone does for you.

For an iPhone, it comes in handy when you are 'caching outside of cell service areas. (almost) just like a dedicated GPSr.

No service = no internet = no cache

I use Pocket Queries with my Android phone. With a PQ, I can load all the caches in a bookmark list (all the caches in a particular series, or all my solved unfound puzzles, or whatever). With a PQ, I can load 1000 caches and then search for them whether I have a data connection or not. With a PQ, I can filter the caches in ways that I can't with my app.

Just wondering what the advantage of using the pocket cache option is, and how I use it? Seems kind of pointless as I am using my iPhone. Thanks for the help!

It's not pointless at all -- leave the cell service area and see what your iPhone does for you.

For an iPhone, it comes in handy when you are 'caching outside of cell service areas. (almost) just like a dedicated GPSr.

Don't I still need cell service to use my phone's GPSr and a navigation program?

I guess technically it depends on the phone, but generally speaking most modern smart phones, if they have a true GPS chip on board, should be able to still function as a GPS in the absence of data signal.

The catch, of course, is that you would not be able to look up caches live, on the fly as it were. But if you had saved the cache info to the phone BEFORE going out, at home or somewhere with a cell signal, then you could still hunt caches because the GPS still works, regardless of data connection (it gets position info directly from the satellites, no cell network involved).

Which is where the original discussion about Pocket Queries comes in, because they are a very quick and efficient way of downloading multiple caches to a GPS or a phone.