Attribute request: Wi-Fi available at cache site

DENelson83

FXtNCCm.png

This would be useful to show for people who use smartphones as their geocaching GPS and want to submit a "found it" log while at the geocache site without having to incur data charges over the cell network. In order for this attribute to be applicable, the Wi-Fi being offered needs to be open for public use.

Edited by DENelson83

FXtNCCm.png

This would be useful to show for people who use smartphones as their geocaching GPS and want to submit a "found it" log while at the geocache site without having to incur data charges over the cell network. In order for this attribute to be applicable, the Wi-Fi being offered needs to be open for public use.

Really?

Is anybody going to use something like this as a criterion to determine which caches they want to go and find? If there's wifi they'll see it on their precious smartphone, if there isn't they can wait to log it until they have network coverage.

I'm really struggling to see anyone building a query that says something like "show me the caches I haven't found near home but leave out the ones I can't log with the smartphone the very nanosecond I find them"

ETA: If people really think it's that important they could always put something in the text to say "hey, free wifi here, you can like the cache on twitface the very moment you find it"

Edited by team tisri

In the meantime, you can save a field note. Then, when you get back to civilization a WiFi connection, you can upload your field notes to the server.

Except until you actually submit your "found it" log to the site, the cache is still going to show up on your list and your map as an unfound cache. At least that's the case on the Android app. If you have only saved a "found it" log for a particular cache locally on your device, the app will not treat that cache as found.

Edited by DENelson83

FXtNCCm.png

Really?

Is anybody going to use something like this as a criterion to determine which caches they want to go and find? If there's wifi they'll see it on their precious smartphone, if there isn't they can wait to log it until they have network coverage.

I'm really struggling to see anyone building a query that says something like "show me the caches I haven't found near home but leave out the ones I can't log with the smartphone the very nanosecond I find them"

ETA: If people really think it's that important they could always put something in the text to say "hey, free wifi here, you can like the cache on twitface the very moment you find it"

+1

FXtNCCm.png

Really?

+1

Sending a "found it" doesn't use much smartphone data, especially if you only say "TFTC." If you're writing an essay for your log entry, I commend you, & suggest you say, "found, more later." Then, back at civilization the wifi connection, you can type your treatise.

For that matter, what about a steaming coffee cup logo for an attribute? It's traditional to have coffee after the find, and some seekers may prefer caches where you can get coffee nearby.

In the meantime, you can save a field note. Then, when you get back to civilization a WiFi connection, you can upload your field notes to the server.

Except until you actually submit your "found it" log to the site, the cache is still going to show up on your list and your map as an unfound cache. At least that's the case on the Android app. If you have only saved a "found it" log for a particular cache locally on your device, the app will not treat that cache as found.

Is finding the same cache twice in the same day a problem you often face? I can usually remember which caches I've found within the last half hour or so, and after half an hour I'm far enough down the road/trail/whatever that the one I already visited isn't a problem. Somehow people coped from the dawn of geocaching to the advent of mobile data on smartphones. Maybe we could ask them for some tips.

Maybe we should have an attribute that says "you already found this one".

Edited by team tisri

FXtNCCm.png

Really?

+1

Sending a "found it" doesn't use much smartphone data, especially if you only say "TFTC." If you're writing an essay for your log entry, I commend you, & suggest you say, "found, more later." Then, back at civilization the wifi connection, you can type your treatise.

For that matter, what about a steaming coffee cup logo for an attribute? It's traditional to have coffee after the find, and some seekers may prefer caches where you can get coffee nearby.

I'd rather have an attribute that tells me there's a good pub nearby. Maybe we could have a range of attributes to cater for a wide range of hot and cold food, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and maybe a hotel in case someone finds the excitement of another soggy film pot behind a sign gets too much and they need to lie down for a while.

IMHO.... "Oh waaa." :lol:

Making or having an attribute doesn't mean that it will be used. And what would you do if it was used when actually there was no wifi available? Would you complain about that?

My GPS lets me mark caches as found. And I never have to pay for data.

Really? It has been a while since I've used Groundspeak's Geocaching app, but Neongeo has always showed caches as found once you've saved a "Found It" field note for the cache.

Have you (or anyone else) suggested adding this feature to the Groundspeak app?

Really? It has been a while since I've used Groundspeak's Geocaching app, but Neongeo has always showed caches as found once you've saved a "Found It" field note for the cache.

Well, I just did that.

An attribute that would be of more use in New Zealand is a "No data" attribute. Always frustrating as you approach a caching area with no offline maps saved and the map goes blank.

Having said that it wouldn't work as those whole place caches with an *actual GPS* wouldn't know if data was available or not, and possibly wouldn't care if they did! :anibad:

I just understand that caching within cooee of a decent sized town will be possible with my phone and if I'm planning to go further afield it's best to load up the old ETrex (and take print-outs - Old School)!

I've had no problem remembering my same day cache finds so far, but I AM getting older :blink:

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by Rincewind3