What do you guys use?

sidderz

I'm not exactly a newbie, but i always like hearing what other people use to find caches :) i'm not sure if this is in the right topic or not (i'm new to the forum and since i'm asking about what to use, i guessed this would be the right place; so moderators feel free to change the topic or move to a different forum category :rolleyes: )

But anyway, What do you guys use? Software or hardware wise, from the moment you lay your eyes on a cache to the moment you find it :)

I would be really interested to know :D

The moment I lay my eyes on a cache IS the moment I find it 😳

I assume you're talking about what equipment I use for a GPS. I usually cache with a Garmin Oregon 550. I also still use my iPhone 4 with the official Groundspeak Geocaching app. I also just recently (yesterday) downloaded the Geosphere app....seems to have a lot more features and options, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Edited by Chief301

Most of the time, I use Neongeo on my Android phone. Occasionally, I use my old yellow eTrex, but it's on its last legs. I'm evaluating options for a replacement GPSr, but haven't settled on a model yet.

Upgrade to the new etrex series! The eTrex 10 is the new version of the old yellow, and I use the eTrex 20!!! :lol:

Or c:Geo on my phone if it is like a last minute thing in town. (or as a backup:blink:)

Edited by Rinerts

If I'm planning a geo cache run I load the caches into a Garmin Nuvii for the drive between caches. Once at ground zero I use a Garmin Montana 600 or a Garmin 62sc that I have loaded the same caches into. If it is a spur off the moment trip I use my Galaxy s3 phone with the Groundspeak app.

Occasionally, I use my old yellow eTrex, but it's on its last legs. I'm evaluating options for a replacement GPSr, but haven't settled on a model yet.
Upgrade to the new etrex series! The eTrex 10 is the new version of the old yellow, and I use the eTrex 20!!! :lol:
Thanks, but I'm looking for non-Garmin alternatives.

I use the only thing I have at the moment, my Casio Commando smartphone. I primaraly use Neongeo and have c:geo as a back up or when my premium membership has run out and I have not renewed yet and I have run out of downloads in Neongeo. I also have some various other caching related apps for puzzle solving and such

I am considering a dedicated handheld GPSr for when I am in an area with a thick canopy and my phone can't quite get a good lock.

My main caching GPS is a DeLorme PN40. My backups are a Garmin 60CSX and a Garmin Nuvi 500 and I also have a Motorola smart phone with the geocaching app.

I temporarily misplaced my DeLorme before I left for a recent vacation so I had to use the 60CSX and the Nuvi. Even though the Nuvi was a model made specifically with geocaching in mind, it's still crappy for geocaching, so I used the 60CSX to find caches and the Nuvi to read the cache descriptions and hint when necessary. I don't like using the smart phone unless its absolutely necessary. Geocaching kills the batteries fast and that screen is nearly impossible to read in sunlight.

I use Linux, not Windows, then OpenCacheManager rather than GSAK to manage the caches on my laptop.

My main caching device is an Etrex30, loaded with free OpenStreetMap maps.

I also have a Blackberry for work, so I have Cachesense installed on it and always have some gpx exports from my database on it in case I feel the need for a bit of impromptu caching.

I also bought myself a Nexus 7 tablet last week, and the first apps that went on it were (of course) geocaching apps, including Cachesense, and WhereYouGo. I've tried both out and the Nexus is a great device for caching, but the fragility and lack of waterproofing means it will only ever be for occasional use - the Etrex30 will always be my main device.

For a non-Garmin alternative, you could try the Delorme PN-60, which is what I am using. It has its quirks, and loading PQ's is a bit more cumbersome than it really needs to be, but it's not a bad unit for the money.

I think that's my next unit. I might be getting it for my birthday. That or the eTrex 30. Hoping it's the PN60

1. On my computer in GC.com I create a PQ for the area I want to cache.

2. Download PQ to computer.

3. Use PQ to create database in GSAK.

4. Use GSAK to send waypoints from the created database to my two 62S Handhelds and my Nuvi 780.

5. Find cache and mark as FOUND on the 62S.

6. Upload finds from 62S to GC.com on my computer.

7. Log finds for all caches in FIELD NOTES.

8. Look at new cache totals for myself and smile. :)

I am excited to start geocaching, but need to make an equipment purchase first. I was looking at GPS units, and discovered I could buy a Pay as You Go smart phone for not much more(I have been without a cell phone for a few years). What do you think, can a smart phone do a good job of geocaching, and if so, does any one have any suggestions for a pay as you go phone for under $100-No PHONE CONTRACTS ALLOWED!

Thanks, Jim

I looked into smart phones with no contract and found the cheapest plan of $50 month on a pay as you go plan was far more than buying a couple of good hand held GPS units. Garmin Nuvi auto unit can usually accept coordinates to get you in vicinity of ground zero. Then any GPS unit can get you on the cache after you input the coordinates.

I am new at geocaching and have acquired three units so far plus the Garmin in my car. I use my Magellan Explorist GC to find out which caches might be nearby, how far and in what direction. I use my Garmin 550T to read logs and description of what i am searching for cause the Magellan screen print is too small to read easily. If it is not readily apparent to me where the cache is hidden I plug the coordinates into my old IFindr Expedition which seems the easiest to use up close and most trustworthy and reliable in telling me the direction and distance to hidden cache. If it could do pocket queries the IFindr is only one I would use despite its larger size.

I use my Samsung Rugby Pro and the Official Geocaching.com app. My phone runs on the android system and so far have had no issues at all. My phone is waterproof, shock proof, dust proof, etc. So it is definitely tough for the hunt. I like the fact that my phone serves multiple purposes. I can get to the cache (using the GPS), take pictures a plenty, call anyone, and log my find online and upload any pics instantly. All without having to switch units out multiple times. Ive gotten some cool caching pics because my phone was already in my hand. I may consider getting a ddedicated GPSr at some point, but right now my phone serves a bundle of goodies all in one awesome package.

I use the technology that fits the situation.....

If out for a hike...The trusted Garmin 450 is the equipment of choice because of the battery life....and log as I go with my smartphone-Samsung Galaxy s4....If driving around doing park-n-grabs and short trips from the geocar for a few caches I prefer the smartphone so I can log as I go....I hate have to log 30-100 caches at the end of the day...which can take hours...when I could be having a cold one!!!!!

As for software on the smartphone I have been using c:geo predominantly for the past couple of years, but have recently started using cachesense because they also show munzees, which I have recently taken a liking to seeing I have found most caches within an hour from home.....and needed an additional fix [:)]....but they are just fillers...my heart is with geocaching!!!!!!

Edited by Team.Hepler

We use a Nuvi to navigate between caches. We hand pick our caches because we don’t like all that are out there. We keep a running GSAK database, of our local area, that we update weekly and usually have about 300 loaded to the Nuvi’s ‘favorites’ and delete them as we find them. So the Nuvi is our master map of caches that we care about. We look at the map, decide where to go, and once we get to the location we use the GPSMAP62 to actually find the cache. The 62 has the cache description and logs loaded to it so that information is at hand and the accuracy is good. The only time we use the smart phone (Groundspeak’s app) is if we want to check more current information than we have loaded in the GPSr. The phone just seems to be oriented to “I am here, what is around me”; which is not the way we cache.

My Garmin 60 CSX finally succumbed to another life and now its time to move on to devices than can house the description, D/T, logs, etc.

I have an Oregon 450T but it frustrated me and even made me carsick as a passenger trying to use it and being upset with it losing the caches suddenly so now I upgraded to

a Garmin 62ST. Seems to be working though some of the 60 CSX map functions I still like better.

The moment I lay my eyes on a cache IS the moment I find it 😳

I assume you're talking about what equipment I use for a GPS. I usually cache with a Garmin Oregon 550. I also still use my iPhone 4 with the official Groundspeak Geocaching app. I also just recently (yesterday) downloaded the Geosphere app....seems to have a lot more features and options, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

What is the difference between the Groundspeak Geocaching app and the Geosphere app?

What is the difference between the Groundspeak Geocaching app and the Geosphere app?

For me, the 'killer app' feature of Geosphere is import/export of GPX files and Dropbox support. I take a tweaked and massaged PQ from my computer, save it to Dropbox. Drag and drop to my Garmin. Open CacheSense on my Android and import from Dropbox. Open Geosphere on my wife's iPhone and import from Dropbox. Bingo. All 3 devices have the exact same data. We can transfer cache data while in the field this way, too. She hasn't used the Groundspeak app since we put Geosphere on her iPhone.

First I use GSAK to download and sort the caches I want, then upload into my Garmin (4th refurbished) 60CSX. Then find caches and sign the log sheets and some I log on my iphone (noticed I don't use my iphone to find a cache). The rest I upload to Mapsource to save my finds and then log my caches through GC.

I use a Magellan Explorist 710 when on foot, in my car I use a Garmin Nuvi to get to the area of the cache. I use an older Magellan Explorist for hiding caches. Software GSAK. I also use an Apple I Pod for entering logs in the field then I stop by a local Starbucks for the WiFi to send my logs in. I have the Magellan software but I really do not care for it much.

I'm a c:geo person. Have more than held my own when out caching with a garmin user.

Gradually getting more and more out of pocket queries, especially so slowly get new D/Ts.

Project-gc.com gives you heaps of info for very little effort.

Mygeocachingprofile, you need to send it your data every so often. I keep it for its count of caches per county, which AFAIK project-gc doesn't give me.

Thanks everyone for all of the great replies. Thanks to your info and some more research, I have ruled out the smartphone. The more rugged ones, which I would definitely need since I am part klutz, are $100+ with a contract, and I don't want to go there. I looked at some used handheld GPS units, by the time I got something decent unit paid shipping, I am at almost $70. For a little more than that, I can get a brand new Trex 10, and not have to worry about missing cables, instructions, ect or no support from the manufacturer. I would like a bigger screen, but $$$ is a very big factor.

Thanks for all of your help, Jim

I scroll on the "nearest" search list for caches I'll do.

- Sometimes I'll hit "Newest in.." and scroll by terrain (2+).

Send to the 60CXS.

If I'm not sure of the area, or if parking's listed, I plug in the Nuvi.

I log when I get home on the PC.

CJ might hit a hide on her iphone (GC app) if she's shopping, or at an appointment, after looking if one's close. Most times she logs from the phone.

When we're together, we'll do it my old-farts way.

- Often she'll pick up a C&D going to/from with her phone that I "forgot" to enter.

Usually:

Download PQ to GSAK

Load Oregon 450 using GSAK (a couple of macros add more info than just loading the PQ's directly to the 450)

After the caching trip, load Found, DNF, notes from 450 back to GSAK

Publish logs from GSAK to GS (more macros for formatting logs--not TFTC however or cut and paste!)

On a rare occasion:

When in a hurry to beat the FTF hounds OR in a spur-of-the-moment caching mood and I don't have the GPSr handy, I use the Windows Phone and the official GS APP

Note: I do not prefer the phone for many reasons, but the two main ones are 1. screen is difficult for an old guy to see in daylight 2. probably haven't used it enough to be familiar with it :rolleyes:

Garmin Venture is a backup and Magellan Explorist 100 is the one for simple, indestructible use.

Basecamp is also used for various reasons at times.