Road Trip

Guest er3ik

Guest er3ik

I'm currently a senior at Tufts University in Boston. Me and four of my friends are going to be buying an RV next summer when we graduate to take a one-month cross country trip. I just stumbled across this sport listed in Entertainment magazine and am already hoping to pursue this during our trip. I guess I'd just like some feedback on how to plan for my first adventure. Already looked into GPS units, but want to know more about how to plan a route across the country, incorporating all the caches. Since we probably won't have internet access on the road, it'll be a bit more difficult to check this site often. Does anyone happen to have a route they followed in the past? Or some great tips for a cross-country cache hunt?

Guest Ttepee

Hey you've got enough time to work and plan for it... keep your eyes on maps like these.. http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/united_states.shtml when it gets close and make some contacts in the forums before then for internet hook up along the way.

I traveled cross country for 6 months, a year after graduating college... best experience of my life. Many years ago I had started writing an on line log of our venture but never even made it through half of our venture but if you'd like to check it out for inspiration go for it icon_smile.gifhttp://users.bestweb.net/~ttepee/xcntry.html

Geocaching gives me that similar feeling of adventure that our trip did... I had actually posted this in the forums quite awhile back

"Ok here's a challenge for a college student. Plan a cross country geocaching trip after school before getting tied into the responsibilities of career! I spent 6 months traveling the country a year after college...

geocaching would be the perfect way to catch the best of the area all the way across ...everyones' too good not to share kinda places...Ohhh to be young again! ;-) "

Need help or internet connection in NY you got it icon_smile.gif

Guest Ttepee

Hey you've got enough time to work and plan for it... keep your eyes on maps like these.. http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/united_states.shtml when it gets close and make some contacts in the forums before then for internet hook up along the way.

I traveled cross country for 6 months, a year after graduating college... best experience of my life. Many years ago I had started writing an on line log of our venture but never even made it through half of our venture but if you'd like to check it out for inspiration go for it icon_smile.gifhttp://users.bestweb.net/~ttepee/xcntry.html

Geocaching gives me that similar feeling of adventure that our trip did... I had actually posted this in the forums quite awhile back

"Ok here's a challenge for a college student. Plan a cross country geocaching trip after school before getting tied into the responsibilities of career! I spent 6 months traveling the country a year after college...

geocaching would be the perfect way to catch the best of the area all the way across ...everyones' too good not to share kinda places...Ohhh to be young again! ;-) "

Need help or internet connection in NY you got it icon_smile.gif

Guest makaio

elf with regards to cache hunting. Many times the hunts take much longer than anticipated. Don't try to hunt so many that you delay your trip (unless you want to delay it) icon_smile.gif

Try to locate public net access points (public libraries are good) along the way to double check the caches and/or log your finds. If this is possible, post updates to this forum so we can all travel cross country vicariously through you icon_smile.gif

Good luck and have a safe and (cache) fruitful journey!

Guest makaio

elf with regards to cache hunting. Many times the hunts take much longer than anticipated. Don't try to hunt so many that you delay your trip (unless you want to delay it) icon_smile.gif

Try to locate public net access points (public libraries are good) along the way to double check the caches and/or log your finds. If this is possible, post updates to this forum so we can all travel cross country vicariously through you icon_smile.gif

Good luck and have a safe and (cache) fruitful journey!

Guest zoedog

If I were going to be going across country and wanting to geocache I would sudjest geting a palm pilot with a wireless modem and the Omnisky service so you could access geocaching.com through the avantgo service. You would also be able to send and recive email with this service. I belive it would also be possible to log a cache on the site, although I am not certain of this.

Zoedog