Can an Event be "invalidated"?

Mirage Breton

Hello to all!

I was considering, lately, setting up "meet & greet" events in the various locations I go to.

Some places have very few geocaches so I'm not sure the community there is very strong and I'm not convinced there will be many people.

Even if it's just one (besides me) it will be fun.

But what if no one turns up and I end up by myself. Does that invalidate the event altogether?

I was wondering what we're the guidelines in that matter.

Are there a minimum number of "will attend" required for the event to go through?

Thanks if you can tell me and happy caching to all!

Don't think there's any limit, I've heard of other events where the organiser was the only one who turned up.

On the other hand I've organized an event, and didn't show up :laughing: everyone still got to log it if they did attend it.

To the OP-You'll never know if anyone will show up or not, unless you host it.

The event will be published if it meets the listing guidelines. Those guidelines don't address the question of how many are expected to attend. Although an event is defined as "a gathering of geocachers", so I suppose in a very extreme case that a reviewer might question whether there would likely be more than attendees than the host.

Once published, it's not going to be re-examined over the question of the number of attendees.

I'm aware of 3 events that were only attended by one person. A CITO was archived by the event host & owner with no one logging an attended. He archived it as "not a success". Another was logged as attended by one person, not the event host, who didn't make it. That one required an overnight back packing trip.

And a third that was only attended by the host, who did log an Attended.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

The event will be published if it meets the listing guidelines. Those guidelines don't address the question of how many are expected to attend. Although an event is defined as "a gathering of geocachers", so I suppose in a very extreme case that a reviewer might question whether there would likely be more than attendees than the host.

Once published, it's not going to be re-examined over the question of the number of attendees.

I'm aware of 3 events that were only attended by one person. A CITO was archived by the event host & owner with no one logging an attended. He archived it as "not a success". Another was logged as attended by one person, not the event host, who didn't make it. That one required an overnight back packing trip.

I made 25 events in August since there are no new caches in my area. Quite a few of them I was the only one to show up and attend. It still counted as a find and no one cares.

http://coord.info/GC4GYCQ

I still had fun at them all.

Heck, we even had one that no one attended at all. I was at the hospital with my newborn.

http://coord.info/GC4GWJ2

Don't forget the two week rule. If you don't plan it two weeks in advance, they won't let you publish it. Plan ahead.

Edited by elrojo14

Here is one for a Flash Mob (WWFM X) event in Ethiopia: GC489QE

The CO did show up (I assume) and posted an attended log. I wanted to go it but I was on an airplane enroute to Ethiopia (Addis Ababa) at the time of the event. Coincidentally, I was also enroute to Africa (Tanzania) when the previous WWFM event occurred but had a layover in Zurich on the way and was able to attend.

I've heard about numerous events that were published during August that seemed to exist only for the purposes of being able to post an attended log and maintain an August streak and get the daily souvenir. I heard that there was a lot of cheese served.

I made 25 events in August since there are no new caches in my area. Quite a few of them I was the only one to show up and attend. It still counted as a find and no one cares.

http://coord.info/GC4GYCQ

I still had fun at them all.

Sort of misses the point of events

Thanks for all your answers!

It helped.

I think I will go through with it and try to meet others abroad. Should be fun!

I was worried about attendees because, in some African countries, I feel the cache owners are foreigners who might be live there anymore.

Thanks too for reminding me of the 2 week rule.

I'm eager to start!

Happy caching everyone!

Definitely sounds like a good idea to me, I would suggest publishing the event much more than 2 weeks beforehand - the earlier the better - so that as many people as possible will see it and will be able to make plans accordingly.

One cacher I know regularly organises events on holiday and he's had some really good ones. He once arranged on by finding a website for a bar which looked suitable, he checked it on Google Streetview and it looked good, so he published the event to be held there. When he got to the holiday destination and went to check out the venue the bar was nolonger there (I think it had been demolished) so he had to quickly find somewhere else and update the event. So try and make sure that the place you choose for your events does still exist!

Recently saw an event at a mall that security kicked them out. Should they get credit for attending? Sure why not.

The location has previously took action against caches placed there, but the reviewer published a few new caches recently and I'm sure if the event owner had asked for permission they probably would have been denied.

But what the hey, ya know?

Let's CELEBRATE August 2013 Souvenir Days Together

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thanks for all your answers!

It helped.

I think I will go through with it and try to meet others abroad. Should be fun!

I was worried about attendees because, in some African countries, I feel the cache owners are foreigners who might be live there anymore.

Since you mention Africa, where in many countries there are very few caches to find, I have to ask what you're motivation is for creating an event cache that only you might attend. I've found caches in four African countries myself and am starting to plan another business trip to Africa that will most likely take me to South Africa and Tanzania (two countries I've previously visited twice and have found a cache in each) but there is a possibility of going to Uganda as well. There aren't a lot of caches in Uganda (currently, 24) and there would be a good possibility that I might not easily be able to get two one of them. If I created an Event cache, even if I were the only one that attended, it could ensure that I could get at least one find while in that country.

By the way, there is another thread here that someone created called Collecting Countries. There are a bunch of geocachers that have posted there that enjoy the traveling to far away places aspect of the game. You might want to add a response there and tell your story about the countries you've collected.

THat's it!

I've published my first event! :anicute:

In Hong Kong... I already have 2 "will attend". That doesn't really come as a surprise.

Next one will probably be Kuala Lumpur, I might not have many people there: there aren't many caches.

Concerning African caches, I get to go there fairly often and have usually found the few nearby caches I could look for.

Now that "it's done", I feel it would enhance the caching experience altogether to meet people there.

I'm only there for short periods of time (24h to 48h) with nothing else to do but wait for the flight back (thanks airline layovers).

Even if the other cachers are just passing by as well, I feel it would be nice to meet.

I'm planning to have a nice A4 logbook and regroup the events in the same book. A bit like a scrap-log-book. Maybe attendees can use stamps or draw things that other cachers, far away, will look at at the next event.

I'm really looking forward to it!

THat's it!

In Hong Kong... I already have 2 "will attend". That doesn't really come as a surprise.

Next one will probably be Kuala Lumpur, I might not have many people there: there aren't many caches.

Concerning African caches, I get to go there fairly often and have usually found the few nearby caches I could look for.

Now that "it's done", I feel it would enhance the caching experience altogether to meet people there.

I'm only there for short periods of time (24h to 48h) with nothing else to do but wait for the flight back (thanks airline layovers).

Even if the other cachers are just passing by as well, I feel it would be nice to meet.

I'm planning to have a nice A4 logbook and regroup the events in the same book. A bit like a scrap-log-book. Maybe attendees can use stamps or draw things that other cachers, far away, will look at at the next event.

since you mentioned stamps, have you heard of letterboxing? (just heard of it myself). Maybe in your description you can encourage people to bring their own stamp and log book, like letterboxers do. Also, maybe letterboxers would be interested in checking out your event (not sure if it is only a US thing, though).

THat's it!

since you mentioned stamps, have you heard of letterboxing? (just heard of it myself). Maybe in your description you can encourage people to bring their own stamp and log book, like letterboxers do. Also, maybe letterboxers would be interested in checking out your event (not sure if it is only a US thing, though).

I believe that letterboxing originated in the U.K.

I think the idea of a reusable logbook is a nice touch. It would be cool to see who attended other Mirage Breton events hosted around the world.

THat's it!

Back in the day I attended an event in Hong Kong that happened during the week I was there, organized by some cachers who were traveling through. Interestingly enough the original cachers were going to archive the event as they canceled their trip last minute (they were going to go on to Japan, but the tsunami had just happened) but Hong Kong has enough geocachers there that someone de-facto "adopted" the event and it went ahead anyway.

For a place like Kuala Lumpur or Africa I'd recommend publishing it as far in advance as possible. This is because while yes, locals may well not be geocaching, my experience is there are often tourists in an area for a few days who do cache and might make a point of attending. You never know, and that way at least you have a chance of not being the only one there!

Last but not least, if at all possible do try to get a bunch of TBs to the event cache. I love it when tourists who do events here in Amsterdam bring some from exotic locales. :)

I know of one CITO event nearby that had no one but the CO attend. Not noted for hiding good caches. (They seemed to get muggled quickly.) A college student. He had a nano in the stop sign in front of his house. Some thought him a bit creepy for watching that cache from the window, and asking any female who found it for a date. Including a friend who was at least twice his age. He was the only one who attended the CITO event.

Event was held. He logged it. Only one to do so. Nope. It qualified as a valid event.

A local group that owned a private camp ran a CITO , every year for three years to clean up the camp before the season. They would publish a couple of event day caches, those would be archived shortly after event as the camp was private. The camp director had the account, he had no finds but had hosted three events, all his CITO. this year he had to postpone it, and when he went to publish it again, a local cacher asked the reviewer why they were publishing an event to clean up a private club. the reviewer archived it . The camp director essentially had gotten unsuspecting laborers to do his bidding for 3 years. I say Young men, who profess Christian Association should not dupe others in that way. so I was glad the reviewer nixed it

A local group that owned a private camp ran a CITO , every year for three years to clean up the camp before the season. They would publish a couple of event day caches, those would be archived shortly after event as the camp was private. The camp director had the account, he had no finds but had hosted three events, all his CITO. this year he had to postpone it, and when he went to publish it again, a local cacher asked the reviewer why they were publishing an event to clean up a private club. the reviewer archived it . The camp director essentially had gotten unsuspecting laborers to do his bidding for 3 years. I say Young men, who profess Christian Association should not dupe others in that way. so I was glad the reviewer nixed it

This is brilliant! I was thinking of having an invasive species CITO in my backyard. I wonder if anybody would come. :anicute:

Sorry, but that rates a 5/5 on the cheese scale.

object-emoticon-0076.gifobject-emoticon-0076.gifobject-emoticon-0076.gifobject-emoticon-0076.gifobject-emoticon-0076.gif

I'd be ashamed to admit it. It's one thing to create an event to try to bring cachers together for an event and to try to build up a strong geocaching community. Holding an event for no other purpose but to get yourself an "Attended" on a specific date so you can get some other reward is simply lame. There were three areas in Southern California where this happened and I was frankly surprised that our reviewers allowed it.

I know of one CITO event nearby that had no one but the CO attend. Not noted for hiding good caches. (They seemed to get muggled quickly.) A college student. He had a nano in the stop sign in front of his house. Some thought him a bit creepy for watching that cache from the window, and asking any female who found it for a date. Including a friend who was at least twice his age. He was the only one who attended the CITO event.

Event was held. He logged it. Only one to do so. Nope. It qualified as a valid event.

Okay, I am sufficiently creeped out now.

Well, I haven't programmed a CITO yet to clean up my living room ^^ but I've started the worldwide events!

N°1 is Hong Kong: 5 will attends already.

N°2 is Kuala Lumpur. No "will attend" yet. Maybe only tourists look for geocaches? Naaaah, hope not.

I've set up a website so look for your city! ;)

Any ideas to make the events more fun are welcome!

Well shucks, i didn't see Fred, Texas listed. :P

Well shucks, i didn't see Fred, Texas listed. :P

WHO'S FRED...? :laughing:

A cousin of Nancy (France) perhaps?

Do you have a ballpark date for the event in Johannesburg? I'll be traveling to Joburg (and to at least one other country in Africa) in the next few months. I thought it might be in November but it'll probably be sometime soon after the first of the year.

There's a Malaysian cacher that's posted here a couple of time. I found a couple of his caches in Kuching and it looks like he's mostly on the other side of the island. If Kuala Lumpur doesn't work out, you might have better luck in Singapore. For a country about the size of Kuala Lumpur, it has more caches than the entire country of Malaysia and it's a major transit hub.

Jo'Burg is potentially in October but I do go there fairly often. Last year, I went there every month for the first half of the year.

You're right about Singapore, there are a lot more caches there, I've already found a few. So I suppose there are more cachers too...

I already have a "will not attend" on the Kuala Event so it may be our guy :(

I'm just waiting for schedule confirmation on the 20th of September to add more events.

I've posted the Jo'Burg event but not on your dates, I'm afraid. :sad:

Up until now, there are 3 events: Hong Kong, Johannesburg and Kuala Lumpur.

There are "will attend" on each one! :grin:

Next one up might be New York City. I'm a bit worried about the potential number of attendees... I have to find a big enough place!

The whole thing is starting next Saturday: you can follow the adventure here: Wayfarer Geoevents

Can't wait!

BTW thanks for all your answers, it did help me with planning the whole thing.

I've posted the Jo'Burg event but not on your dates, I'm afraid. :sad:

Up until now, there are 3 events: Hong Kong, Johannesburg and Kuala Lumpur.

There are "will attend" on each one! :grin:

Next one up might be New York City. I'm a bit worried about the potential number of attendees... I have to find a big enough place!

The whole thing is starting next Saturday: you can follow the adventure here: Wayfarer Geoevents

Can't wait!

BTW thanks for all your answers, it did help me with planning the whole thing.

It looks like you're getting :"will attend" logs on all of the events you have listed now. It sounds like it's going to be fun. My Jo'Burg trip is likely postponed until February or March next year.

For an event in a place such as NYC that might have a lot of attendees you should have an easier time recruiting some other local cacher that might be able to help and recommend a specific location. NYC is certainly the closest location to me but it's still 4-5 hours away and I only get down there a few times a year.

Ouch, that's a lot...

Is Montreal any closer? I go there sometimes too.

I will also add Washington DC sometime in the future...

Maybe I should add a "wayfarer geoevent" topic now ;)

Montreal is about the same distance as NYC. Washington DC is more like 6 hours.

In other words, I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Creating a wayfarer geoevents topic is a good idea.