Filter out geocaching auto-emails for notes/needs maintenance?

Coldgears

I have a few popular caches in Center City Philadelphia. These caches get found multiple times per-day. I don't really want to look at the "found-it" notes, but I do want to take the time to maintain them. I had set up a google filter to just send all my emails from "No-reply@geocaching.com" to a separate folder than my inbox. The problem is, I don't really check it very often. Is there a way, on geocaching.com or through google filters to set it up so I only receive notes/needs maintence logs?

I have a few popular caches in Center City Philadelphia. These caches get found multiple times per-day. I don't really want to look at the "found-it" notes, but I do want to take the time to maintain them. I had set up a google filter to just send all my emails from "No-reply@geocaching.com" to a separate folder than my inbox. The problem is, I don't really check it very often. Is there a way, on geocaching.com or through google filters to set it up so I only receive notes/needs maintence logs?

I am sure you can. You can search for keywords(i.e. Needs Maintenance)in subject or body from the No-reply@geocaching.com email address. I imagine you could also look for "wet log" or "missing log" if you wanted to get fancy.

If you want to just leave the important email in the inbox you would only need to look for "Found" from the same email address and move those to the separate folder.

To get to the filters:

Gear button ->

Settings menu item ->

Filter tab ->

Create a new filter

Edited by giddeanx

I am sure you can. You can search for keywords(i.e. Needs Maintenance)in subject or body from the No-reply@geocaching.com email address. I imagine you could also look for "wet log" or "missing log" if you wanted to get fancy.

If you want to just leave the important email in the inbox you would only need to look for "Found" from the same email address and move those to the separate folder.

To get to the filters:

Gear button ->

Settings menu item ->

Filter tab ->

Create a new filter

But, what about Needs Maintence logs that say found in them. Like, for example, "I found the cache and it was soaked, I think you need to replace the logbook".

Find logs commonly contain maintenance issues. Log is getting full, lid is cracked, log is damp, found it but don't think its the way the CO intended.

Basic cache maintenance is reviewing the logs.

If you can't keep up with them, then maybe its time to remove a few.

I only have seven caches, and I do occasionally check the folder. Like today, I found out a cache I hid had a needs maintence put on it about a week and a half ago. I plan on going out and fixing it Thurs or Fri. The real problem is, I don't check the folder as frequently because I rarely use my PC. Ever since I got a tablet, I've been using a mixture of that and my phone. But, both of those make it extremely difficult to check your e-mail in separate folders, so I only really check them when I get on my PC.

I've not had a problem yet with maintaining my cache by only checking my notes/needs maintence. I doubt I will have a problem in the future if I make it easier to see I got these things posted to my cache.

To get to the filters:

Gear button ->

Settings menu item ->

Filter tab ->

Create a new filter

But, what about Needs Maintence logs that say found in them. Like, for example, "I found the cache and it was soaked, I think you need to replace the logbook".

Yes, had a look at your CheeseSteak cache and it has a found log (no NM log) that says:

2.png Found it 08/29/2013 Got it! Very small but easy to get. Log is full.

To get to the filters:

Gear button ->

Settings menu item ->

Filter tab ->

Create a new filter

I really need to see how a found log is sent. If found is in the Subject just search for it there and move them over to your "Non Urgent" folder from your in box.

If you are worried about words like "wet" or "full" you can make sure that you use the doesn't have.

Here for an example. There are probably errors since I don't have an example email in front of me.

googlesearch_zps261ec67d.png

You can build your own filter for each type based on subject. Also like any filter it will need manipulated over time to take care of cases you didn't think of.

Edited by giddeanx

For a NM log the subject will look like this:

[GEO] Notify: (user) reported (cache) needs maintenance

Should be easy enough to set up a rule to process that. If it's from noreply@geocaching.com and contains "needs maintenance" in the subject then it's an NM log. If it's your own cache it probably says "[GEO] Owner:" so you can filter your own caches logs from anything else on your watch or notification lists.

If you route Find logs into one folder, DNFs and NM into another (as multiple DNFs could imply NM even if nobody logs it), and if you get an NA put it with the DNFs, then you can spot the potential problems quickly and read the Found logs at a more leisurely pace. You could look to get clever by searching for keywords in the message body of Found logs but you risk missing maintenance issues if the logger made a spelling mistake, or getting false positives if someone wrote "after a full day of caching I found this, good to finally log it" or "It was pretty wet underfoot but found a dry log to sit on while we rummaged through the contents. Cache in good order" - the first contains "full" and "log" while the second makes it clear everything is fine but contains "wet" and "log".

I had a look at how bad the logging notices are for you. August was a heavy month (due most likely to the August souvenirs). On your list of 7 active caches you have a total of 27 online logs for August. Your busiest day was August 30 when you got 4 online logs. For August you average less then 1 log per day. Personally, it doesn't seem worth setting up email filters for so few notices.