Adopting Caches

wjw1741

Is there a more formal way to adopt caches? Is there a listing somewhere that shows what caches are available to adopt? Or do you just look for those that are disabled and attempt to adopt them?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Why would a cache being disabled mean that it needs to be adopted? Cache owners disable their listings to give themselves time to fix any problems. It doesn't (shouldn't) mean that the cache owner is looking for someone to adopt it.

The only way to adopt a cache is if the cache owner wants to adopt it out. The process has to be initiated by the cache owner.

Help Center → My Account → Geocaches in General

1.1. Adopting or Transferring a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

Some times, they will post a note on the cache page to let people know it's up for adoption.

Some times they will post in their regional forum.

Groundspeak does not maintain a formal list of potential adoption opportunities.

B.

I have a similar question. There is a cache near my house that has been marked several times for maintenance, but no indication the owner has ever responded. Recently the logs indicated the container was gone and the logsheet was just tucked into the edge of a bridge railing. This was one of the first caches I looked for when getting started, so I went back out to investigate. I found the loose log sheet, now weather bleached, and was unable to locate the container where it had been or anywhere around it. I checked the owners activity and it does not appear that he has logged anything in over 4 years. I did replace the container, log and added some items and again marked it as needing maintenance. After no owner response to multiple requests over a long time, it really does appear he is not active and the cache is abandoned for all intents and purposes.

I could just leave it as is with the new container, but I would be willing to "adopt" it. However, since an adoption must be initiated by the cache owner and he is apparently inactive, there's really no way to do it. I could just create my own cache at the same location, but is that allowed if it's in the same spot. Do I just move the lat/long over a few seconds and call it good?

Thanks...

I have a similar question. There is a cache near my house that has been marked several times for maintenance, but no indication the owner has ever responded. Recently the logs indicated the container was gone and the logsheet was just tucked into the edge of a bridge railing. This was one of the first caches I looked for when getting started, so I went back out to investigate. I found the loose log sheet, now weather bleached, and was unable to locate the container where it had been or anywhere around it. I checked the owners activity and it does not appear that he has logged anything in over 4 years. I did replace the container, log and added some items and again marked it as needing maintenance. After no owner response to multiple requests over a long time, it really does appear he is not active and the cache is abandoned for all intents and purposes.

I could just leave it as is with the new container, but I would be willing to "adopt" it. However, since an adoption must be initiated by the cache owner and he is apparently inactive, there's really no way to do it. I could just create my own cache at the same location, but is that allowed if it's in the same spot. Do I just move the lat/long over a few seconds and call it good?

Thanks...

Post "Needs Archived."

Put it on your Watch List.

When the reviewer Archives it, jump in with your own cache page for Publishing.

Thanks...

It's allowed. Moving it or changing the hide style somewhat might be more fun for those who have already found it.

Thanks...

It's allowed. Moving it or changing the hide style somewhat might be more fun for those who have already found it.

What's allowed? Certainly not what was asked. If the listing is still active, you can't create a new listing with the coordinates within a few seconds of it.

You have already basically placed your own cache in the location and are physically maintaining it. All you need to do is get control over the listing.

Since the CO is not responsive, you will not be able to adopt it. The only option is to get it archived and create a new cache listing. The only possible disadvantage is that it now has a new GC code. Not a big deal. If you want you can even put a link to the archived cache in your description so that people can see who found it before you essentially adopted it.

If the cache page shows several NM logs with no response, the geocaching.com admin should be willing to archive it after giving the CO one last chance to respond.

You can immediately create a new cache with the same coordinates and description, or modify the write-up slightly as you see fit. I would check coordinates with my GPSr using averaging and correct if necessary.

You have already basically placed your own cache in the location and are physically maintaining it. All you need to do is get control over the listing.

Since the CO is not responsive, you will not be able to adopt it. The only option is to get it archived and create a new cache listing. The only possible disadvantage is that it now has a new GC code. Not a big deal. If you want you can even put a link to the archived cache in your description so that people can see who found it before you essentially adopted it.

If the cache page shows several NM logs with no response, the geocaching.com admin should be willing to archive it after giving the CO one last chance to respond.

You can immediately create a new cache with the same coordinates and description, or modify the write-up slightly as you see fit. I would check coordinates with my GPSr using averaging and correct if necessary.

Just to be clear...

once the old cache is archived, you can place a new one at the same coordinates if you want, and then send that new listing to be reviewed.

A new listing in the same location must go through the review process, to be sure that it is in compliance with current Guidelines.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I guess I have a similar but slightly different question. While out on a hiking trip we stumbled across a cache and figured we would log it when we got back. It was marked as a geocache but when we came back to log it there was no entry for it. In all the searching I can do I cannot find anything near the area where we found the cache (not for miles). Can I re-list the cache if I am willing to take care of it? It is well hidden and all set up, just no listing on the site (not even listed as inactive as near as I can tell).

Thanks

I guess I have a similar but slightly different question. While out on a hiking trip we stumbled across a cache and figured we would log it when we got back. It was marked as a geocache but when we came back to log it there was no entry for it. In all the searching I can do I cannot find anything near the area where we found the cache (not for miles). Can I re-list the cache if I am willing to take care of it? It is well hidden and all set up, just no listing on the site (not even listed as inactive as near as I can tell).

Thanks

It could be listed on one of the other sites... All boxes are called 'caches' which ever site they are listed on...

Thanks

It could be listed on one of the other sites... All boxes are called 'caches' which ever site they are listed on...

What other sites are there?

Thanks

You can't just re-list something that you found.

It could be the final stage of a puzzle or multicache.

It might be an archived Groundspeak cache, but until you find out which one it is, you won't know what you've found.

Look at the most recent names in the log, and see if you can match up their "found it" logs with the location of the container.

If it is an archived Groundspeak cache, there might be compelling issues that led to its archival and would prevent another cache being placed there.

B.

You may be right but the log didn't list any other geocache users ID's but there were log entries that I think were muggles who stumbled on it like I did. Did have geocache on the container and a standard geocache note. It was just interesting that I couldn't find anything on it. That said I will leave it as it is. Thanks for the help and guidance.

You may be right but the log didn't list any other geocache users ID's but there were log entries that I think were muggles who stumbled on it like I did. Did have geocache on the container and a standard geocache note. It was just interesting that I couldn't find anything on it. That said I will leave it as it is. Thanks for the help and guidance.

Do you have any unfound puzzle or multicaches in the vicinity of the container?

Write your local reviewer with the coordinates. It may be a cache that was submitted but did not meet the guidelines and the person who placed it gave up instead of trying to fix the problem.